Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greatest MMO Ever Created

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

@OP and your topic, are you serious or for real? How can you call the worse mmo ever in history of mmorpg's become suddenly the greatest, pls explain becouse this is beyond me to be honest;)

People should just have fun enjoy the game they like, instead of vomit untruth's on the forums:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I wouldn't say that it's the "Greatest MMO", because that is really dependent on each individual, and their tastes.

I would say that it is the "best themepark MMORPG that I have ever played".

Although I have enjoyed dabbling in other themepark games, none of them have managed to hold my interest for long. SWTOR, for me, has what they lacked: the RPG part. A good story that hooks me and makes me want to see it develop. A REASON to go questing, besides just XP and lewt.

IMO, SWTOR is the first themepark MMO to actually try to be an RPG, and this makes all the difference in the world to me.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Originally posted by vesavius

/edited to remove waffle

Sidestep dodge, I mean really man, what do I have to fear? Your joking right?

Your doing it again... feel like answering the actual question I have asked?

Do you agree that the statement that this is the 'greatest MMO ever' is extreme to the point of being ridiculous, or do you support it? I am only aking you for your clear opinion here on the statement he has made.

I answered your question, but you still fail to see that it is not about whether the "greatest ever" statement was true or false (because it is completely subjective, even though you are ignoring that).

And I am asking you a question now thats beyond that, one based on your subjective opinion; Do you agree that the statement that this is the 'greatest MMO ever' is extreme to the point of being ridiculous, or do you support it?

And, no, you still have not answered it.

You should have been a politician lol :)

You can't seem to get beyond "the greatest game ever" statement though, and continue to ignore that the OP was expressing an opinion.

Not true. We have established repeatedly that it's an opinion of his, it has not been ignored. That's been accepted from the very start. I am now, clearly, asking for your view on it's merit.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

/edited to remove waffle

Sidestep dodge, I mean really man, what do I have to fear? Your joking right?

Your doing it again... feel like answering the actual question I have asked?

Do you agree that the statement that this is the 'greatest MMO ever' is extreme to the point of being ridiculous, or do you support it? I am only aking you for your clear opinion here on the statement he has made.

I answered your question, but you still fail to see that it is not about whether the "greatest ever" statement was true or false (because it is completely subjective, even though you are ignoring that).

And I am asking you a question now thats beyond that, one based on your subjective opinion; Do you agree that the statement that this is the 'greatest MMO ever' is extreme to the point of being ridiculous, or do you support it?

And, no, you still have not answered it.

You should have been a politician lol :)

You can't seem to get beyond "the greatest game ever" statement though, and continue to ignore that the OP was expressing an opinion.

Not true. We have established repeatedly that it's an opinion of his, it has not been ignored. That's been accepted from the very start. I am now, clearly, asking for your view on it's merit.

You fail to see that mine or your opinion on whether or not the OPs opinion is valid, has no bearing on the truthfulness to the claim for the OP. To answer your question yes or no, would be playing into your hands, and give you something else to argue about.

All you are doing now is deflecting the conversation away from the fact that you had no basis in your hyperbole argument except your own hyperbole. That is all I pointed out.

• AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 373

I lasted around 5 mins ingame... when i noticed the dude said go KILL X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X  X Xkjlbnsdflkhjsdf;asdfsdfkl;sflms;f  here we effin go again ..........i want to kill these "modern" game devolepers ...

Ye i know how it looks but to me in 2011 if a game ANY game starts whit go kill x npc then return = waste of time and no fun what so ever ... my opinion.

• Voracity2325Voracity2325 Member Posts: 40

Heavy expansion on lightsaber combat. That is all

For most people, character development and personal story ends upon clicking "Log in" if not "Start Game"

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by Filterheadz

I lasted around 5 mins ingame... when i noticed the dude said go KILL X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X  X Xkjlbnsdflkhjsdf;asdfsdfkl;sflms;f  here we effin go again ..........i want to kill these "modern" game devolepers ...

Ye i know how it looks but to me in 2011 if a game ANY game starts whit go kill x npc then return = waste of time and no fun what so ever ... my opinion.

Play LotRO; roll a Hobbit, deliver pies. ;)

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Some people get giddy and butterfly tummy when they see or play a new mmo ^^

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

I don't agree with you.

The greatest MMO ever created (for me) was Ultima Online.

So, we'll just have to agree to disagree OP.

This.

Glad you think it's the greatest mmo ever created OP, for me though that is just not the case.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by elocke

Except, that background is static and never changes.  You can never go explore it.  Your character's boots will never set foot on those cool looking mountains.  Heck, you can't even walk up to the base of those mountains.  At least in Games like Lotro, WoW, EQ2, this is possible.  This is one of my pet peeves with the zones in SWTOR and part of what makes them feel NON realistic and NON immersive.

I agree on the backgrounds... or at least, I wish there were more weather effects, and day-night phases.  But in that picture, I bet there's alot more you can get to than you think.  And still, there is no game around that lacks borders.  At some point, you are always blocked from moving further.

But back on this whole mountain climbing thing.  I think this is the second time I've seen you make this comment, and I still don't get it.  SWTOR is NO less "mountain-climby" than WoW, LotRO, or EQ2.  SWG allowed you to climb almost any grade, so I get why some people might make such a comparison there.  But just like WoW, LotRO, and EQ2, in SWTOR, some grades you can climb, and some you can't, and that grade max isn't any shallower than any of those games.

There were TONS of places to climb on Taris.  There's at least one Holo there that requires climbing a HUGE shipwreck in order to get it.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by BadSpock

Played probably 30+ hours in the last weekend beta and at least 40 over 3 days in this past weekend beta, and I think it's still up till Midnight tonight so I'll play more tonight if it is.

I love this game.

Sure, not 100% flawless no MMO is at launch but my only problem?

Played 5 classes to at least 10 now and I have NO idea what toon I want to make as a main.

This is probably a good thing, that means there's no risk of boredom setting in any time soon.

Very true.

Even playing through the same planet (in this case both Tython and Ord Mantell), doing so on two different classes gives everything a totally different feel to it.

Even the world quests, which are exactly the same, seemed to play out so differently and feel so different due simply to the play style differences between classes and the difference in dialogue options.

Obviously you could change up your approach in terms of morality and vary the experience even further.

This game forces you to role play, if you "do it right" and actually listen to and invest in the story.

You are forced to make role play choices and it really does change everything...

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again and again if I have to, if you are not excited about and really into the story and role play dialogue/morality systems and such, then find another game - this one is not for you.

• 8BitAvatar8BitAvatar Member Posts: 196

Played probably 30+ hours in the last weekend beta and at least 40 over 3 days in this past weekend beta, and I think it's still up till Midnight tonight so I'll play more tonight if it is.

I love this game.

Sure, not 100% flawless no MMO is at launch but my only problem?

Played 5 classes to at least 10 now and I have NO idea what toon I want to make as a main.

This is probably a good thing, that means there's no risk of boredom setting in any time soon.

Very true.

Even playing through the same planet (in this case both Tython and Ord Mantell), doing so on two different classes gives everything a totally different feel to it.

Even the world quests, which are exactly the same, seemed to play out so differently and feel so different due simply to the play style differences between classes and the difference in dialogue options.

Obviously you could change up your approach in terms of morality and vary the experience even further.

This game forces you to role play, if you "do it right" and actually listen to and invest in the story.

You are forced to make role play choices and it really does change everything...

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again and again if I have to, if you are not excited about and really into the story and role play dialogue/morality systems and such, then find another game - this one is not for you.

You were this close...

If you are not excited about and really into the same ol', same ol' themepark MMO experience, then find another game - this one is not for you.

There you go. Fixed it for you.

Originally posted by 8BitAvatar

You were this close...

If you are not excited about and really into the same ol', same ol' themepark MMO experience, then find another game - this one is not for you.

There you go. Fixed it for you.

If you consider what Bioware has done with the "same ol', same ol' themepark MMO experience", then yes this game is not for you as you are completely missing the "point" and purpose of the story, dialogue, morality, companions etc. that make this "standard themepark game" truly unique and special.

I've said before if it wasn't for the story, dialogue, morality, companions etc. that this game would still be very good and polished etc. but nothing truly special.

But with them, this is a very unique and amazing MMO experience.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Well kudos to the OP if he likes it that much ! O_O I played the whole weekend and really enjoyed myself , made multiple characters and suprising myself with my choices , I thought I would enjoy Jedi/Sith classes better , ... I didn'nt, I had a blast (Pardon the Pun ) playing with Trooper,Smuggler and Bounty Hunter Classes !

I wouldn't dare make such a bold statment as the OP made as fear I would be beaten back into my cage really quickly on this forum ....

What I will say is that I had a lot of Fun playing and one of the biggest things I enjoyed was the Star Wars Ambience and sound effects ... they are really top class :)

I feel the Force will be ( "Quite" ) Strong with this game.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by I_Return

This is the greatest mmo I've ever played . hands down. The biggest reason , the world feel persistant in a way no other mmorpg has been able to acheive. The sense of being on a dark orlight side just adds to the emmersion of game.

Shadowbane was the only other game that at up this much time during the days, playing extensively as a Templar. Now SWTOR is beginning to fill that big empty void that has been created by many companies whoo simply don't get what I want.

Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit, and just look at what this world is, it is Stars Wars, done right. A lot of games can learn from this first generation of Story based mmo, in how it creates the emmersion and  the persistant world feeling as you take your character through a movie.

If you don't agree with me , that is fine, Xyson and WoW are ---> that way

Where should I begin... Persistance is definitely in the game, but I don't think you understand the meaning of persistence. It means the world never changes, which is true. So have fun playing in a never changing world, it'll get old quick. What it needs is Dynamic content... I take it you've never played Rift before.

Immersion, Really? That's some pretty hardcore immmersion right there. Just about as much as getting my first light saber. "OMG! my weapon glows now!" I hate to bring it up again, but go try Rift's major invasions, especially the ones on the new  zone Ember Isle... You'll feel real immersion.

There's where all the hype lays... It's a SW game, any fan would be stoked. But as a professional gamer myself, this game offers me nothing that a non-hardcore SW fan would appreciate.

Originally posted by tkoreaper

SWTOR is going to be the next Star Trek Online. And by the way... There's a whole slew of people who preordered SWTOR, tried it, and are now cancelling their preorder.

Whole slew... on these boards.

TOR is going to be absolutely huge, even if some people on MMORPG.com don't like it.

Star Trek Online? HAH have you even played that game?

SWTOR is going to be the next Star Trek Online. And by the way... There's a whole slew of people who preordered SWTOR, tried it, and are now cancelling their preorder.

TOR is going to be absolutely huge, even if some people on MMORPG.com don't like it.

Lol, it's the boards' fault? You think no one else feels the same way and that people must be influenced by these boards to feel the game belongs in the scrap heap? I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

And yes, I played STO. I couldn't stand playing more than 30 minutes of that game.

• Nefari0usNefari0us Member Posts: 36

Whole slew= 7 people.

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php

Looks like SWTOR is doing just fine without them :)  (That's a week behind, so expect another update soon.  The previous week had 60,000+ preorders, so the momentum is still building.  Plus this is only North American Boxed orders, not digtal pre-orders or anything from Europe.

Not happy with the current state of MMORPG's? Think you can do better? What would you do different?

Originally posted by Nefari0us

Whole slew= 7 people.

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php

Looks like SWTOR is doing just fine without them :)  (That's a week behind, so expect another update soon.  The previous week had 60,000+ preorders, so the momentum is still building.  Plus this is only North American Boxed orders, not digtal pre-orders or anything from Europe.

It also doesn't reflect refunded preorders. When a game, especially one with an IP, gives out preorders that allows people to play the game before it's released... Of course it's going to see a lot of initial unit sales. Those have never been a good way to predict population. Wait until after the first month when everyone's free time runs out.

Lol, it's the boards' fault? You think no one else feels the same way and that people must be influenced by these boards to feel the game belongs in the scrap heap? I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

And yes, I played STO. I couldn't stand playing more than 30 minutes of that game.

Quite the accurate point of reference then, playing STO for a whole 30 minutes!

I generally walk out of movies, even good ones, after the first 30 minutes so that I can be as biased and uninformed as possible when I go to IMDB and write my critiques of them.

I'm wrong about these boards being just about 1% of 1% of the MMO community at large and also wrong about these boards (in general) being heavily biased in favor of more sandbox games?

That "slew of people" is a speck on a grain of sand in the desert.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I don't really know if I'm excited about the storyline and what not, but I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it plays out.

I'll be there for sure sometime in early 2012.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I don't really know if I'm excited about the storyline and what not, but I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it plays out.

Let me just say..

I was let down by the story in ME2 and DA2, so I was a bit worried that Bioware had lost their touch when it came to excellent story telling, as ME1 and DA1 were amazingly better than their sequels (IMO) in terms of story.

I can honestly say that Bioware must have been hoarding their talent and saving themselves for TOR.

Even classes I didn't care about at all before I tried and they all have such amazing story, I am going to have to "eventually" roll a toon of every class just because the story is simply that good.

Let me just say..

I was let down by the story in ME2 and DA2, so I was a bit worried that Bioware had lost it's touch when it came to excellent story telling, as ME1 and DA1 were amazingly better then their sequels (IMO) in terms of story.

I can honestly say that Bioware must have been hoarding their talent and saving themselves for TOR.

Even classes I didn't care about at all before I tried and they have such amazing story, I am going to have to "eventually" roll a toon of every class just because the story is simply that good.

Don't confuse the Dialogue for Story. Don't get me wrong, the voice acting is great and the cinematic aspect is nice, but the story to me wasn't THAT great. It gets old very quickly. There's a trend that can be noticed. They give you one big quest line and make you feel extremely important, like there's no one else that compares to you, and throw a few rewards your way. Then when it's all done, you're in the same spot as everyone else.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

It's probably not even in the top 10, but it IS the most expensive ever made!!.

Though SWTOR isn't really an MMO. It's a really good, but linear, single player game made into a MMO to combat piracy and charge as much money as possible.

$60 bucks PLUS $15 whenever you want to come back and play it again after a month...

$$cha-ching!$$

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

The greatest mmo is subjective . One person may think rift is , Another uo , another wow, another may think eq, And the again someone may think its eve, or final fantasy 11 , The truth is a guy can sya to them its the best mmo ever and truth is u cant prove hm worng just disagree.

I for one have never had as much fun and for the record each time i got back the more i enjoy it. Dromund kass is a huge planet and i can walk into there canyons and i have walked right up to there mountains. . 

I think if u leave the starter worlds u will see how much bigger the worlds get. That said i dont expect everyone to love tor. I dont like skyrim but i bet 90 pct of the players who played it loved it.

Thats the way it goes. we each have our own opinions the problem is the haters dont think we are allowed our opinions. They tell us were simple minded idiots for likeing this game.

We find story, choice, and companions innovative as well as vo and we are wrong , What name one other mmo with those things in it already. 

We find the gameplay to be fun enjoyable and minus the grind we are used to and we arent gettign the point. We tell them u dont pick up kill x or y quests they are bonus quests but hey insist those are the stoires the stories give u even though they are wrong. 

We tell them its not a single player game they insist it is. There are so many lies in there arguments its not funny but they claim to have tried tor and given it a chance but still spout the same crap they did before they started it. 

oh well but us fanbois are the problem lol . us fanbois will entail over 3 million players and tor will be the number 2 mmo to wow in 6 months . They claim in 3 months its going free 2 play so u cant change the eminds and u cant have your opinion but if u disagree with theres u arent willing to discuss the points.