Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's changed their mind after playing this weekends beta?

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Before playing my second beta test, I was dead set on being a Republid Jedi Sentinel.  Now after playing the Sith Mercenary, I have no idea which I'd rather play because they're both so fun in so many different ways.

I find the Imperial architecture to be more visually appealing.  It sort of has a Nazi Germy look to it with all the red banners plastered all over everything, and it never gets old being able to shoot rockets at mobs then watching them blow up in an explosion before picking off what little health they have left with blaster fire.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

I got beta invite, but I didn't try it. I removed the mail. Pre-order has been canceled.

When I look at this game I see DC Universe Online. Big hype, nice looking trailers, lots of talk from Dev team... and then fail when it's out.

Not trying to troll. Just what I think about this game now.

I hope Planetside 2 is better.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Can't say i changed my mind since i didn't really have any real preconceptions or opinions. Now i do though, and what i can say is this: I completely loved it.

The game is brilliant. I'm now a certified fanboy. Proud one too.

Can't wait for release.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

A few months ago i was bashing SWTOR about many aspects.

A few months later i was still standing in ogrimar and thinking wth iam still doing here....

I played the past beta weekend as a try out and preorderd it -_-

I coulnt believe myself but the truth is that SW is alot more fun then WoW is.

Yes SWTOR needs ALOT of work to be on par with WoW.

But all mmo's that come out needs work and it will get better and better when time and patches roll out.

And even tough GW2 will be my new holy grail i will stick to SW untill it comes out as i think its worth my hard earned money more then blizzards wow.

Its a no brainer for me as wow lost its Soul when ghostcrawler became lead designer.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

The moment i got off my starter planet, the first mission took me through Heroic Mobs lol nice move there Bioware.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Supersoups

The moment i got off my starter planet, the first mission took me through Heroic Mobs lol nice move there Bioware.

It also tells you to bring at least 2 players

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40

After a weekend of Beta play i decided not to preorder it, doesnt mean ill never play it, i just dont feel the urge to buy it now and get the whole theme park experience immediatly. If you are into theme park mmos with little to no exploration and standard questing with voice overs and storyline, why not, grab it and play, if you are looking for the star wars experience, jedi lore and exploring, you should stick to upcoming or already released open world mmos. in fact it is as far from star wars as it can get, having played a jedi sage whose quests were to obliterate wildlife and even !! kick unhatched eggs!!! to death, which by all means shouldnt really be anything a jedi does, i felt it very unsatisfying, it dont fell like a jedi.. more like a badass killer, with 400 killed animals and humanoids to lvl 10...should be dark side immedatly...

a bit of a letdown is the character creation, you can choose between 4 humanoids, star wars offers so much more, i would have liked the option to make yodas, ackbars, damn i would even play a java or a droid  for fun. seems they only got 1 character model finished...

game is sure fun even with mediocre graphics, ( anit aliasing activated through .ini at least) and combat is very solid. nothig i havent encountered in other mmos already, but its ok. just decide for yourself if you want to pay the bucks monthly to get something you had already before.  i for sure dont want to invest so much money and time in a copycat game that offers me the same experience i had in years of everquest and wow.

have fun !

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I didn't find it too special. Nice quest, but I hated the lines of my female SI, no sith at all... Combat wasn't too special. And graphics are too heavy for what they look...

It's intresting, but certainly not worth of money upfront. Maybe in 6 months or year when it's around 10€ or so I could do a month or two.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

One thing I WILL say about this forum, is that so many posters always hate every single game on the market, i'm starting to think they hate games Period. Watching the things people say that is wrong with the game tells me 80% of  the people have no idea how or what it takes to make a game and has no idea what to look for. This Post is funny.

/popcorn.

OR....... There scared there famous WOW is gonna go F2P  Because  of SWTOR. 

The comment I found funny, was the one about how Rift was better, Rift  is the same thing as WOW, so  maybe thats why people are mad?  I guess they where hoping it was gonna be like WOW 100% . 

Another comment was when someone wanted a Sandbox, guess what they would never make that kind of money, most gamers hate sandbox's and PVP. I love them but sorry thats a fact. So spending that kind of  money they had to make a Theme park MMO, because most gamers perfer it.  

Anyways funny stuff on this post keep them coming so I can laugh more at the haters of all games. Yet to see any game where people on this forum do not hate.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

One thing I WILL say about this forum, is that so many posters always hate every single game on the market, i'm starting to think they hate games Period. Watching the things people say that is wrong with the game tells me 80% of  the people have no idea how or what it takes to make a game and has no idea what to look for. This Post is funny.

/popcorn.

OR....... There scared there famous WOW is gonna go F2P  Because  of SWTOR. 

The comment I found funny, was the one about how Rift was better, Rift  is the same thing as WOW, so  maybe thats why people are mad?  I guess they where hoping it was gonna be like WOW 100% . 

Another comment was when someone wanted a Sandbox, guess what they would never make that kind of money, most gamers hate sandbox's and PVP. I love them but sorry thats a fact. So spending that kind of  money they had to make a Theme park MMO, because most gamers perfer it.  

Anyways funny stuff on this post keep them coming so I can laugh more at the haters of all games. Yet to see any game where people on this forum do not hate.

You need to learn separate critizism from hating. People aren't always good at forming their thoughts in written form, but if you see a response with more than one line analyze it a bit more. Bar obvious trolls and stress replies.

I learnt to read MMORPG.com after 4th MMO launch and believe me these forums are a good source to get the feeling how that next game is going to be. The most important thing is to keep your own mind open, no matter how much you like (or despise) the going-to-launch -game. Also, never fall into hype, use WoW as a reference or boast the graphics (or artstyle) as a deciding factor.

Those are the main ropes I've learnt here and reading these forums have become much easier.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I was waiting to try it in a beta weekend. I tried it this weekend and what I found was a little dissapointing. The game is good, of course but I expected Bioware to make something better:

-The no auto attack is good, but in my opinion the game should have been a little FPS, I find it weird to have a rifle and not aiming, just selecting and shooting.

-The voice acting is really good and it adds a sense of quality to the game, it's really immersive.

-The female character models are kinda weird, too fat backside compared to too tiny hands and arms. I know it sounds weird but I usually picky with design.

-The rest of the character design is good enought.

-The scenery is somewhat cartoony and it lacks detail, I have a good computer I did set up everything at max.

-Changin to private instances is awesome, no load screen, just a notice making you know.

-The load of dialogs is good enought and is nice taking the quest like that as in single player games.

-Classes, I dont understand why to make classes, the problem is: I always have things I like and things dont and I dont understand the need of restricting players to classes, I didn't like fully any of the clases.

I will probably buy it, probably not at launch. In my opinion, the game is a good mmo, combat goes smooth and all that but is bioware and Star Wars they could have made it better.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by alakram

-The scenery is somewhat cartoony and it lacks detail, I have a good computer I did set up everything at max.

It's interesting how 2 people see things completely different. I had some of the opinions i've read about the graphics in the back of my head while running around, and what i found was the complete oposite of 'lack of detail'. I found it extremely detailed. Depends on how you look at it though. Zooming in on a wall wont show you any great level of detail, no matter the graphic settings. But zooming out and seeing the big picture is very rewarding.

• DjinnAjitDjinnAjit Member Posts: 16

I was not that excited to play, my wife was more into it than I was.  I have been enjoying RIFT since launch.  But I found myself completely immersed in the story and actually caring about my character, which I think makes a good MMO.  So, my mind was changed to the possitive.

On a side note, to the OP and most people out there:  NEVER read MMORPG or any sites forums on game reviews.  Over the years I have found that you will never find a group of people who hate MMOs more.  Each person seems to have one MMO they loved the most and none will ever compare.  

It makes me sad for their future wives (yeah, I am assuming most angry gamers on here are men) who will never live up to the nostalgia of their husbands's first girlfriend.

• ZimbaZimba Member UncommonPosts: 52

I hated the announcement about companions. Played the beta on the weekend and now I love the micromanagement they bring. I hope other developers take note of this and further deepen the companion interaction and management.

I was surprised how fast I grew tired of the voice over dialogues, but other than that everything just felt like the same old. It's a shame, but can't find a reason to pay a monthly fee for this.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

I didn’t change my mind, I just found out that I wanted to play it even more.

It depends a lot on what you ask for in a game, right now I want a relaxing non-hardcore MMO where I can lean back and enjoy my time there, log out take a nap on the couch, watch a movie and log back in. This game offers quality gameplay both solo and multiplayer, I don’t see this game offers hardcore raiding, more socialize raiding. I played it solo for the most part this weekend. But then my mate finally got off work and we started together on new classes. BH/IA. It was great to be able to see how his class quests progressed, and even take part in his story line. see his decisions. We had a lot of fun, and we hardly spoke on TS because either of us would go “HUSH!”.

I played all 4 Empire-classes to level 10-12 .. chose a special-roll on each as well. I know now that I will be playing IA at launch. But the bounty hunter story is just soooo cool have to play one to get it all. There was a time where I played my sith Inq, I realized they had done this correct, when the general chat was flaming with “OMFG I wanna kill xxx (the main story quest giver for sith inq)” people actually reacted to the story and got to hate a NPC. That was amazing to see.

Only thing I felt as a bad thing was the gfx, tbh for a 2012 launch (lets says its 2012, 20/12/2011) the graphics are not good enough. But the game took hold of me in 30 minutes and I totally forgot this. Also I found out rather fats that the sometime boring graphics also has to do with the SW environment, an imperial ship is just not as detailed as a forest. When I got the first forest like environment the graphics also got a lot better IMO.

Didn’t try crafting, but reading about it made me all exited. Sounded really fun.

The classes I played and specializations were really fun. Some of them sounded odd, but I didn’t have time to find out. To make an example; Sith Inquisitor – spec: Assassin. The game describe this as damage/tank. Wouldn’t imagine them as a tank, but I didn’t get to try it much. I didn’t like to play any of the lightsaber classes, didn’t catch me. But this is all down to the independent player, for me the barrel roll into cover, sniping, ambushing, just made me smile and laugh all the time. IA/Sniper love it.

I also love the idea that you can go healer and still be a good damage, that the game allowed so many different playstyles to a class.

TBH I’ve played MMO’s since 97, UO as my first MMO. Then EQ, and wow. I only mention these 3 because they were quality. I played at least 20 different MMO, and I feel SW:TOR will be the next one I’ll put on my quality list, finally can have a 4th title added.

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by DjinnAjit

On a side note, to the OP and most people out there:  NEVER read MMORPG or any sites forums on game reviews.  

Yup. But I don't believe anyone here reads what the other is saying; reading gaming threads is just as boring as holding up a conversation about table clothes. Honestly, someone doesn't like that tablecloth, the other one loves it, another party is undecided. Reviewing games is a tricky job because most people connect to games in a different way, in fact, I can't think of any other media besides the movie industry where opinions are so opposed to one another. Everyone has his/her own feelings towards video games, and if you really want to give it a fair chance, all you have to do is pick up the game and see for yourself. 

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by Zimba

I hated the announcement about companions. Played the beta on the weekend and now I love the micromanagement they bring. I hope other developers take note of this and further deepen the companion interaction and management.

I was surprised how fast I grew tired of the voice over dialogues, but other than that everything just felt like the same old. It's a shame, but can't find a reason to pay a monthly fee for this.

u know ive seen u on this site for months bashing tor so u were never gonna like it. Thats fine i dont care u dont like tor but how come people like u have to hijack every positie thread. 

U know im also tired of the if u like this game u are simple minded bafoon crap but hey i guess when thats all u really got to whine about go for it. 

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

nothing new. nothing great. nothing feels epic. game over...

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Ridelynn

The F'n intro movie is broke. I can't watch it. Seriously. Little details, polish...

Not sure of the differences in our systems/ISPs, but the intro movie, to me, was absolutely awesome.  It was smooth, well acted, and drew me in.  My wife came in at one point and asked me what movie I was watching.  Had to tell her it was just an introduction scene to a video game.  Even SHE was impressed.

Note:  I'm a guy who had no intentions of buying the game before this weekend's beta.  Changed my mind, I have.  =D

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i always intended to play thsi game . Only thing beta did was convince my gf to play it also and get me even more stoked to play it. 

Dont like ti fine but please the vo, story, choices in the story and companions are innovative just because gw 2 isnt the one doing them doesnt make them any less inovative. 

Say what u will but stop with the no innovation crap. Just because they didnt reinvent combat in mmos doesnt mean they didnt have any innovation in tor.

• ZimbaZimba Member UncommonPosts: 52

Originally posted by kalinis

Originally posted by Zimba

u know ive seen u on this site for months bashing tor so u were never gonna like it. Thats fine i dont care u dont like tor but how come people like u have to hijack every positie thread. 

U know im also tired of the if u like this game u are simple minded bafoon crap but hey i guess when thats all u really got to whine about go for it. 

Uhm ? Of course I was wary of many issues when I started playing the beta. Now I am saying I was positively surprised by one of the features I was heavily against. What is the problem ? How am I hijacking the thread by asnswering the topic in question ? I didn't call anyone names... Im confused.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

My mind didn't change... I was planning on playing it from the start and still plan on playing it... The game meets expectations. It was expected to be a themepark MMO with good story and that's what it is.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Despite the many bugs and glitches I experienced, and the fact that to me, this game seems like a single-player game with some forced grouping thrown in just to be a pain in the ass...I have indeed changed my mind and will probably buy it on release.

The cutscenes / story / companions are enough fun to make the stale WoW-formula game play bearable at least for a while...and I think I'll enjoy it solo for as long as it's feasible or until something else releases that I like better.

I was pretty surprised that a game with a budget this big would have such low production quality in terms of graphics and audio...lots of bugs and problems...but in the end, they obviously spent the money in one place, and the cut scenes they dropped in to replace quest text do make a world of difference.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Didn't change my mind, but dampened my enthusiasm quite effectively. I preordered a while ago, and I do intend to play for a month.

However, I found the whole thing frighteningly stale and uninspired.

Not so much that I've given up on it, but I really doubt I'll enjoy the game beyond a single playthrough - if that.

I'll never understand how developers can invest so much in copying others, as if they didn't have a single creative bone in their body.

Well, not quite fair - but that's how I felt after playing it. It seems the only people with any kind of creativity on the team were the writers. Maybe they let them design the mechanics as well? Would make sense.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by Celcius

These forums are probably one of the older MMO community sites and consists of a ton of jaded MMO vets from quite literally, a decade ago. Tons of people here are huge sandbox fans and want tons of innovation. They see health bars and mana bars, instantly spout "WoW Clone!", and continue the usual hate they have towards themeparks. (Themeparks being a term the average MMO player is not even aware of) If you want a better representation of opinions I suggest looking at community sites that actually enjoy themeparks. MMO-Champion is a decent one because it is a fansite for WoW and people on there have learned to accept the "themepark" model. You will obviously find many people calling everything a WoW clone, but not so many sandbox freaks. That, imho, is the problem here. Most of the guys on this forum long for the nostalgic days when MMOs had less direction and more freedom. 

Heh, yeah. "People have learned to accept". From DLC to Pay2win they learned to accept it all.
    And of course avoid MMORPG.com. Better visit fansites, listen to Dev-talk and watch commercials/CGI trailers. Positive news are good news. ;)