Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only reason i'm not buying this game.

Hello

I would love to buy this game and i see lot of good stuff like voice acting etc.. BUT! The thing is i just absolytely hate the art style, it looks like a cartoon my kid is watching from tv and he is 5 years old. Also, the graphics are very poor in general too. I really don't understand why they decided to go with this art style and so bad graphics and don't give me it''s an mmo so graphics need to suck, this is not the case i played AOC and many other mmo's that has fine graphics.

So point is, the game looks like shit and i wount be buying it. No matter how good the actual game play would be, it wount change the fact that i cannot immerse my self to the game character when it looks like that. Too bad, i hope they change it for swtor 2, so i get to enjoy it too.

To those that are going to play, i hope you enjoy it. I just had to vent cause i really hate the art style.

Take care

Cool cat

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I can relate. I get turned off immediately when I see those Anime looking games.  They drive me nuts.  Luckily I like SWTOR.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'm not really judgmental about graphics but I can see why the graphics would turn you off.

The style of the game doesn't bother me, but it has some annoying technical issues, like the shadows have a LOT of aliasing on high settings.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by smokefin

Hello

I would love to buy this game and i see lot of good stuff like voice acting etc.. BUT! The thing is i just absolytely hate the art style, it looks like a cartoon my kid is watching from tv and he is 5 years old. Also, the graphics are very poor in general too. I really don't understand why they decided to go with this art style and so bad graphics and don't give me it''s an mmo so graphics need to suck, this is not the case i played AOC and many other mmo's that has fine graphics.

So point is, the game looks like shit and i wount be buying it. No matter how good the actual game play would be, it wount change the fact that i cannot immerse my self to the game character when it looks like that. Too bad, i hope they change it for swtor 2, so i get to enjoy it too.

To those that are going to play, i hope you enjoy it. I just had to vent cause i really hate the art style.

Take care

Same here. Gave it a shot, couldn't stand it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I am as far from a SWTOR apologist as you'll ever find but I would play this art style and graphics over the Asian MMO glitzy, Anime, Manga style they produce.  I couldnt stand the graphics of FFXI, Aion or Lineage 2.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• smokefinsmokefin Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I am as far from a SWTOR apologist as you'll ever find but I would play this art style and graphics over the Asian MMO glitzy, Anime, Manga style they produce.  I couldnt stand the graphics of FFXI, Aion or Lineage 2.

Yes, i dislike anime even more than this.

Cool cat

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

For me, the graphics and art style are just on the edge of unplayable. I don't like them very much, but they don't ruin the game for me. I can see myself either getting used to them in the long run though. I currently don't plan to play the game more than half a year, so it doesn't bother me as much.

For the people who wish to play longer, I would imagine one would get tired?

• limeni4limeni4 Member Posts: 2

Any of you who hate the game want to share the account, i wanna try it too (beta closed :( ) ;) tyvm! :)

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

I would never play a game just because it  looks pretty, I perfer game play over graphics any day of the week, the graphics and animations where fine, to many people want realistic , and they will cry when there computer can't handle it.

Can I say AOC, FF14..... If you want pretty games there you go.. Zero game play though, glad they spent more money on game play, and they did the graphics a bit lower on purpose they knew there fan base would not be able to afford high end and thats a fact they have talked about it many times. When I went to E3, thats the first thing they said, so I don't understand people.

When AOC release so many complained there machine could not handle it, so I couldn't imagine if they went out for this, they would get like 20k subs instead... Think people think.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The graphics where kinda good, i was expecting much worse when i saw some clips in youtube.

I ran SW on max and was suprised it looked that good.

The starter zone was meh for Sith warrior but when i went to the Kaas zone i was stunned by its graphics.

• smokefinsmokefin Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

I would never play a game just because it  looks pretty, I perfer game play over graphics any day of the week, the graphics and animations where fine, to many people want realistic , and they will cry when there computer can't handle it.

Can I say AOC, FF14..... If you want pretty games there you go.. Zero game play though, glad they spent more money on game play, and they did the graphics a bit lower on purpose they knew there fan base would not be able to afford high end and thats a fact they have talked about it many times. When I went to E3, thats the first thing they said, so I don't understand people.

When AOC release so many complained there machine could not handle it, so I couldn't imagine if they went out for this, they would get like 20k subs instead... Think people think.

Hmm as a veteran with 2 years in age of conan i would say it had the best combat system i have played in ANY game, and prior to 1.5 patch it had the best pvp in any MMO . So your argument about the game play is simply false. Also, been playing MMO's since 1998, so i have seen quite a few.

Cool cat

• Relentless02Relentless02 Member UncommonPosts: 126

I second the notion I don't think people realize how dificult it is to render photorealistic graphics. I think they are going for the WoW "playable on any machine" approach and I agree with them on that. I know if they made their graphics more "realistic" people would complain about the requirements being too high.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

SWTOR has quite high specs for an mmo.

Many people complained about the high specs you need to play it properly.

But people need to understand that a decent PC needs upgraded once in awhile and if you dont do that you cant realy blame game studio''s to keep a medium to higher standard on their games.

• TirinasTirinas Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by smokefin

Hmm as a veteran with 2 years in age of conan i would say it had the best combat system i have played in ANY game, and prior to 1.5 patch it had the best pvp in any MMO . So your argument about the game play is simply false. Also, been playing MMO's since 1998, so i have seen quite a few.

What's false about his statement? him prefering something else then what you like ? That's absurd i tell you !

We should all like AOC because according to you it has/had the best pvp and combat system and we all know we can't have our own oppinion since you have been playing since 1998.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

I have been so utterly disappointed by games with good graphics example AOC and FFXIV that i don't care for graphics anymore. And i am not botheerd by art style of SWTOR since it is true to KOTOR series.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

the artchoice is timeless, and it will look and feel exactly the same in 5 years.

If you manually set for 16x AA and 8x AF, with all settings high, performance is still good, while the game world starts to shine...

In future they should add environmental effects, like fog, rain, snow, lightning and update the lighting part of the engine to create more athmosphere. Then the game is set to survive the next decade.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Guys, it's a fair cop.  Art style preference is entirely personal.

There's really nothing you can do to alter a feeling that completely subjective, except to wish him luck in his search for something else.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

for the record i love the art style. The style tor chose holds up longer then realistic graphics do. I dont understand why people have an issue with stylized graphics for me they look and play great.

Thats my taste though i love stylized graphics any day . I can understand if u dont like stylized graphics not like tors but then again we hav eknown for what 2 yrs they were using the graphics they are. 

So i dont understand why people are so upset by it this late in the game when u knew what htey were going with all along.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

the artchoice is timeless, and it will look and feel exactly the same in 5 years.

If you manually set for 16x AA and 8x AF, with all settings high, performance is still good, while the game world starts to shine...

In future they should add environmental effects, like fog, rain, snow, lightning and update the lighting part of the engine to create more athmosphere. Then the game is set to survive the next decade.

I agree all those high end photo realistic graphics just do not age well. We will see how many will still gush over AOC and FFXIV in another 5 to 6 years. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Supersoups

I agree all those high end photo realistic graphics just do not age well. We will see how many will still gush over AOC and FFXIV in another 5 to 6 years. 

Tough its still sad that there is no Ultra setting with a much higher quallity textures, its easy to downgrade texture quallity for lower settings, its almost impossible to upgrade textures after game release. 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Supersoups

I actually thinks the environmental graphics are pretty good (Except for the ground.  Dear god, why does every MMO ever have ground textures that suck?  I may never know.  I'm including AoC, FFXIV, GW2, and any other MMO you care to name here.  This isn't an SW:tOR problem though), but I'm a little disappointed by how much textures I see on the characters that look like a texture on a spandex shirt. :/  I think the artstyle of the characters, while not my particular taste, isn't bad though.  Pretty good for looking expressive, which is important in a game with a lot of closeups and cinematics.

Maybe I'm just seeing the worst possible screenshots, but even after beta reveal I look at some people and go 'Huh, that's just a texture on a spandex top'  D:

... at least it doesn't bug me as much as when EQ2 first came out and everybody looked like they were clay. :<

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i checked my settings on preferences and whiel some are set to high some of the defaults are set to low . Thee is an anit aliasing featuer u cant even use in beta also 

I dont know hwo this will affect graphics once release but just thought id point that out.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingtofukingtofu Member UncommonPosts: 98

I believe the main reason they have chosen this graphic style is not mainly for looks but in fact its so they can make more money.

They have copied blizzards method of having lower spec graphics (dare i say it... wow)  so the game can run on a greater variety of diff pc / laptop systems, this allows a lot more people to play other  than just the few lucky ones that can afford real high spec pc's like some of us lucky few.

It makes sense from a marketing and subscriber point of view.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Some of the textures are pretty bad (especially on player character and NPC clothes and armor), but I don't mind the art style. My biggest complaint is the engine itself...there are lots of issues and I'm not sure some of them are going to get fixed.

I'll preface this list with the fact that my machine is very powerful (i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, GTX570) and I was playing on completely maxed settings with good frame rates (60-100 FPS)

- Clipping / shadow issues with animations - I saw lots of glitches where shadows were rendered badly or just as jagged shapes on my character, plus sometimes my eyeballs or teeth would be outside my skin, guns would pop through my cloak, all kinds of little things like that during animations

- popping - this is probably the biggest issue, and likely is inherent to the engine and not getting fixed. I had lots of issues with trees / ground textures / NPCs popping up very close to me, especially when moving quickly or turning. Riding a speeder, I could watch the ground texture crawl into existence right in front of me. NPCs sometimes wouldn't pop onto my screen until I was right on top of them and stopped for a second. Sometimes symbols over NPCs heads wouldn't show up until I got very close, or wouldn't show up at all. Higher-res textures (still not very high quality as mentioned above) sometimes took a moment or two to load when I started cut scenes.

- ALIASING!!! I really hope they get anti-aliasing working...because this game needs it REALLY badly. Just about everything in the game is a straight line and crawls / flashes like crazy in motion.

- Vertical sync was not working for me...I had it on, but my frame rate was typically in the 80s-90s and I got a lot of tearing when turning quickly.

- Combat animations - sometimes my blaster shots would go in very odd directions but still cause damage to the target... sometimes animations would get skipped or play in the wrong order when using different skills