Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's changed their mind after playing this weekends beta?

Comments

• HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83

i dont know what the fuck are u talking about guys, i liked this game.

yeah its not the best game ever made, we all know that, but i had fun, i always hated text walls in mmorpgs telling me to do stuff i never knew what was because i dont read text walls, noone does.

in this game u have the feeling of a singleplayer quest, and yeah the gameplay its not uber, but its same as the rest of mmorpgs. 

so im still pre ordering.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Changed my mind from hyped and ready to even more hyped and more ready.

But more seriously I went from a normal edition to now buying the CE because I liked it more than expected and my expectations were already pretty high.

Amen to that, Zoe. :)

• carpatiancarpatian Member UncommonPosts: 47

i think this game worth every penny. i tested this weekend and is .. so good . guys i hope u feel the same way like i do and even il be the only player lol im gona keep playing. the only think i might need to do is upgrading my pc  lol

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Not really but I wasnt expecting much to start.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

You know, I went to the SWTOR site to list my complaints and suggestions.  And then I realized I don't even effing care.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I will go play it, the expectations i have be met, i like the VO, the Cinematics, the Companion idea.
    If the mmo part has longevity i cant say, as of now its pretty a standard game offering nothing new in that area, but as long there is still story left i will play.
    In the past years my gaemplay went from PUGs and Guilds to groups of close friends and SWTOR is the PERFECT game for that and for family gaming.
    I hope, if it has the success i expect, they offer more for people who like also to play in believeable Open Worlds like Skyrim is one.
    I exoect around 12 months of gameplay to me...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Originally posted by carpatian

i think this game worth every penny. i tested this weekend and is .. so good . guys i hope u feel the same way like i do and even il be the only player lol im gona keep playing. the only think i might need to do is upgrading my pc  lol

my pc works great with game. so i dont have that problem but if u watch chat when in cities u will see a 3/4 split love it.

When that one clown starts to put the game down the get put in the place fast and ive tried like 5 servers. 

so haters cant hate in game so they have to do it here but truth is i was always gonna play tor now i just think i gotta find a way to sleep before launch cause i might not get much the first week or so.

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Just to add my 2 cents. I've been reading about SWTOR on MMORPG.com for a year now and my expectations were VERY low. I didn't pre-order and wasn't planning on bothering with the game. That was until I got the invite (like everyone else did of course) to participate in this weekends beta. I was very suprised to have that much fun in an MMORPG again. Granted I haven't played an MMORPG in 4 months and I'd almost give up hope.

I think I clocked around 30 hours just in the last 3 days. I got 4 different classes up to level 10 just to see which one I would pick at launch. And you know what? I still can't decide! 

I just pre-ordered and now I have roughly 3 weeks to figure out what I'm going to play. All I know is I can't wait. I realise the game is far from perfect, but I have been enjoying myself immensely. Even while holding back (stopping at level 10). The story for every class was very engaging and it was hard to stop and switch to another class.

All I can recommend is: stop reading the loads of negative posts on this Forum and try it for yourself during this Beta or wait for a Trial. After experiencing the game for myself I changed my opinion and ended up pre-ordering and getting excited for launch!

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Already had two pre orders because my wife is more excited than i am. Today my brother in law came and saw me playing, he tried Bounty Hunter and got hooked. Once he got 'death from above skill' he just couldn't stop. It is been a long time i have seen that child like smile on his face. I had to really physically remove him from my pc. He made a pre order moment he reached home. So now i got full party ready to explore SWTOR ;p

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

I ll start subscribe to skyrim

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I was planning on buying it, if for nothing else, but to try it for the free month. After trying it this weekend, I changed my mind, I will not be buying it.

I found the voice acting excellent, story was fun and engaging in some parts and completely ridiculous at others, it don't see this changing in later parts of the game. Everything else was just a letdown. Graphics while stylised felt washed out and somehow empty, lifeless. The gameplay itself is WoW with a twist but just shy of that good feedback loop you get from a combination of great spell effects, animations and sound design. Some story choices increase immersion, while others are just frustrating because all (both) choices seem childishly black or white.

This game comfirmed what I allready new, I am still looking for that new mythical MMO to rule all MMOs. I played WoW for a long time and enjoyed it very much, but I just can't see myself suffering trough less than stellar combat to get to potentially great story parts.

Mostly it reminds me of RAGE, this game is exactly the sum of it's parts, nothing more and nothing less, i just want more, i need something more.

P.S.  Forget to say, it runs silky smooth and had no technical problems whatsoever, that was really great.

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464
    I think ea has a surefire hit. A wonderfully made mmo for the mass-market.

While I want to see more sci-fi in the mmo space this just isn't the game for me. Pre-order cancelled.

Current Games:

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Well, honestly I'd pretty much given up on the game, and seeing as I'm content with playing Skyrim for months to come, I was thinking of skipping this one.

But it turned out to be better than I expected. Though I have to say I was not expecting much at all.

At this point I was fully expecting it to be irrelevantly quest-hubbed, ridiculously bent out of lore and feel to fit reigning MMO paradigms, play clunky and have boring and uninspired storylines. (I loved Bioware way back when, but have lately begun to think they've forgotten how to write good stories and are always coming up with trite conflicts and characters.)

The game turned out to be not nearly clunky to play - though yes, too run-of-the-mill in terms of its choices as an MMO - and not nearly uninspired in its storytelling on most classes. Especially playing a Sith was quite a story experience solely due to the impact of all the painful reaction you're causing. I actually had a hard time playing the Sith Warrior and going dark side, I often felt quite bad about my choices - and I did not expect that. Seeing your character's face in close-up that often and hearing his voice does steal him from you, but lends him a sense of reality which makes you feel as if your decisions carry great weight. It gets even more intriguing when you're playing in a group and going for the unconventional response. :) I think I approached it a bit like I did the old Bioware games, or even adventure games and played it solely for the story, with the combat acting as steps I have to accomplish to unlock the next bit of storyline. Waddya know, it worked! 

I did not dig the visuals much, I think they've made a mistake and landed in an uncanny zone between the joyfulness of something like WildStar and the sober, true-to-Star Wars look of Galaxies. I think Star Wars really does not work when thus over-stylized, because the fictional world itself is already very colorful, imaginative and over-the-top; you have to go a bit realistic just to ground that stuff. That's something even George Lucas seems to have forgotten. 

The cooperative multiplayer aspect was a pleasant surprise, due to the refreshing feel of multiplayer dialogue, and also the fact that the flow of  flashpoints was efficiently divided into scenes and acts with dialogue and boss encounters. 

In the end, now I think I'm going to give it a go, even if only for the storylines. I might just play a couple of characters to the end of their storylines and quit. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by Zadawn

Originally posted by Matt_UK

Originally posted by Zadawn

Me, I changed my mind. Just trying to cancel my pre-order. It's rubbish, what a let down.

this

He asked the question 'Who's changed their mind after playing this weekend's Beta?' and I answered truthfully.

What's your problem?

The problem?None. I did not bother to write again what've you've already said so i quoted you therefore i feel the same as you.What's your problem?

Hahaha Best thing on this thread. The guy who dislikes the game also dislikes other people disliking the game :D Carry on...

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588

It's funny how it seems to be the same 10-15 people posting over and over to "save" people from playing TOR. No matter what the OP opininion (pos or neg) or what topic, they jump to bash on every TOR thread. Thread can be about how OP thought the companion system wes a neat feature, but it gets hijacked to a place far from it's origin. Why would someone who doesn't like a game use all their time to bash it on every thread, when they could be playing a game they do like. Make a thread on why you don't like it then go play the game you enjoy. Everyone will be happier.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

reading these posts is like endless labyrinth. going to buy the game made own mind up and ifits suck no worries and ifit dont no worries either, its matter of taste and opinion what people are " different" some like some dont. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I was always a supporter and didn't need to change my mind one way or the other because they were always upfront from the beginning on what was being delivered. Since I like that type of game, for me, its been more than meeting my expectations. If anything, after how much I was concerned about the graphics and animations a year ago, they have changed my mind as far as the fact that I actually love the way the game looks, more artistry though then technical graphics reasons. Animations have improved quite a lot as well (though still room for improvement). When I want my more sandbox fix, I go play Skyrim.

There Is Always Hope!

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Tried it, and loved it!

Sure, quests are like most games..... a mission you get and do.

I've been playing the jedi consular, and I like the story. The game really opened up for me after coruscant (level 16+) when I got the spaceship.

Also did one of the flashpoints, and that was really nice, almost like a movie.

So yeah, I'm going for the game for sure.

Is it my type of hardcore pvp open world non-linear MMO with nasty deathpenalties and permadeath MMORPG? Nope, but it sure is fun none the less!

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

I really enjoyed the flashpoints, they had the best combat and the best storylines that Ive seen so far, but The spaces inbetween the storylines with the douzen mini quests and the long trecks to finish those mini quests; its dull as hell. They made the experience out to be something new and refreshing what with the storyline element, but at the same time they fall into the trap of so many MMO's where your always spending large chunks of time grinding through side quests while doing the main quest, just to aproach the right level to get into the content you actually care about. 

The story lines are good, but it doesnt work well with the cookie cutter nature of the rest of the game.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by Ablestron

I really enjoyed the flashpoints, they had the best combat and the best storylines that Ive seen so far, but The spaces inbetween the storylines with the douzen mini quests and the long trecks to finish those mini quests; its dull as hell. They made the experience out to be something new and refreshing what with the storyline element, but at the same time they fall into the trap of so many MMO's where your always spending large chunks of time grinding through side quests while doing the main quest, just to aproach the right level to get into the content you actually care about. 

The story lines are good, but it doesnt work well with the cookie cutter nature of the rest of the game.

I thought the story added reason to the quests, both side, bonus, and main; however, I'm the type who doesn't skip any cutscenes and actually tries to understand the mission / task - not that you, or anyone who doesn't are bad for choosing to play the way you do.

The grind was definitely made easy for me by the nature of the main quest, which all others are in some way linked. They did well with this in 10+, and I'm not finding myself drawn back at level 25 - and I've been to about four planets already.

• maxiime223maxiime223 Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by Hamrtime

Me, I changed my mind. Just trying to cancel my pre-order. It's rubbish, what a let down.

This guys sig should tell you everything you need to know.

listen to what he said ^

He is right.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Originally posted by Naral

Hmm, I have noticed a difference in reading over a lot of posts regarding this game.

It seems, anecdotally, that people who play on the Sith side are having a better experience in game, with regards to the story etc. Again, this is just me taking it in from a lot of threads, and purely anecdotal, but could it be that there is a better quality story on the Sith side?

Just curious.

Anyway, the game was what I expected, and no change here. I like it. Keeping my pre order. ;-)

Like Wharg0ul I've played mostly Imperial characters. I did, however play a Trooper (Vanguard) to the mid-30s and was very impressed with the story. The Jedi (Knight and Consular), I found deathly noring in comparison to their sith counterparts.

Smuggler is fun too, but for me the Agent, Inquisitor and Bounty Hunter are my favourite classes, and while I will roll a trooper at some stage to finish that story, it won't be until after I've levelled the others.

And on-topic, if 6 months of testing didn't change my mind, one weekend won't either!

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

I don't know if you'd call it changing my mind.  I was on the fence about the game and leaning towards canceling my preorder.  After playing this weekend I'm sure I'll be getting this game and possible another preorder for my wife who's loving it as well. (originally she wasn't going to play SWTOR)

It's a pretty solid MMO, nothing too ground breaking or anything but it has a different feel from most MMOs.  I was very suprised with how much of an effect being story driven and having good voice overs actually made on me.  Originally I thought it'd be a nice touch but nothing to really care about much, I was wrong, they're great.(put tony the tiger back in his box)

Really, the true test will be how endgame is because the leveling part of the game(at least up to what I experienced) is totally solid.  Anywho negging on this game hard is hating.  It's like the people who dislike WoW, they can dislike the game all they want with 100% valid opinions, but overly campaigning against the game and refusal to see that, "hey, they're doing something right with how many subs they have"  reduces them down to nothing but haters.  I should know, I greatly dislike WoW.  It's indefinitely not for me but that doesn't stop me from seeing it for what it's worth, especially to others.   If SWTOR is really a WoW clone like so many people claim... well I guess I'd like them to explain that to the preference center in my brain because I'm just not getting how it's a WoW clone.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I played in a weekend Beta and have now been invited back.  But havent bothered to participate this second time.  Whats that tell you?  Im playing Pirates of the Burning Sea instead and its infinitely more fun than anything I experienced in Swtor. 

I had fun messing around with Swtor.  I got to level 16 with my Sith Sorcerer and I messed around with a bounty hunter for a bit just before server shutdown.  The story is fun, and voiced dialogue is ineteresting for what it is. 

However the game play and worlds feel somehow half done.  Whether is from the lifeless feel of the game, or the fact that I actually felt I was IN a themepark I dont know.  And by that its the first mmorpg that made me feel like I was actually in a themepark.  Not a theme park mmo.  An actual theme park.  It felt fake.  Unfinished in a big way. 

Id be on the fence about buying this game, but there's no way in hells bells Id pay a monthly sub for it.  So while it was more fun than I thought it would be, it wasnt what Id call impressive either.   I think a lot of people are caught up in the novelty of it.  That will wear off in time and sooner than most think too. 

There are better mmorpgs to be playing that are years old.  Mmos with better story (yes, I said it and its true), better graphics, finer animations, and more realistic breathing worlds.  This to me was just a sub par game. 

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

You know it dawned on me some years ago, that you need to just enjoy life for what it is. in a 100 years all these words we have typed wont be remembered by anyone. we wont even be a memory. we will be some notch on a digital family tree that noone cares about.

So play the game write a book get out and have some sex. save a tree buy a dog. wake up and enjoy it. youth wont last forever man. all this will fade away like tears in the rain.

Yeah pot makes things like that dawn on me too

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"