Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My review of SWTOR. How it changed my opinion on Star Wars forever!

2»

Comments

• InFaVillaInFaVilla Member Posts: 592

The title of this thread is "My review of SWTOR. How it changed my opinion on Star Wars forever!", yet barely any attention in the opening post is given to how the poster's opinion of Star Wars changed forever.

At best, we can deduce that previously they weren't overly excited about anything related to Star Wars and now they are really excited about a certain Star Wars game. If that's the only change, it is a very superficial such. Based on the opening post, there is no reason to believe that the thread starter has changed their opinion about the Star Wars movies at all, which is what is commonly refered to when one says "Star Wars".

In conclusion: the opening post did not live up to the topic title; next time either change the title or change the post.

• BhaynBhayn Member Posts: 11

I agree with this review for the most part. The final scores may be a tad high, but I view this game as a work in progress. Even after launch, it'll still be a work in progress (which I think all MMOs should be).

One sound quibble I have deals with NPC conversations.  It seems as if you could hear a conversation taking place outside a Jedi temple (say) from like 3 miles away as if they were right next to you. Not really a big deal, just a minor anomaly I noted.

I think this game will be around for awhile. They'll drop the ball on occasion, after all it is their first mmo, but we now have another in our growing list of obsessions lol. 

"It's not the ignorance of the people, it's that most of what they 'know', just ain't so" -Anonymous 19th century comic

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171

Originally posted by InFaVilla

The title of this thread is "My review of SWTOR. How it changed my opinion on Star Wars forever!", yet barely any attention in the opening post is given to how the poster's opinion of Star Wars changed forever.

At best, we can deduce that previously they weren't overly excited about anything related to Star Wars and now they are really excited about a certain Star Wars game. If that's the only change, it is a very superficial such. Based on the opening post, there is no reason to believe that the thread starter has changed their opinion about the Star Wars movies at all, which is what is commonly refered to when one says "Star Wars".

In conclusion: the opening post did not live up to the topic title; next time either change the title or change the post.

I apologize that my titling schema did not live up to your expectations. Truly, I had almost zero interest in Star Wars prior to playing the beta (I mean the movies, the lore, the everything), and in writing this piece that was on my mind the whole time. However, I didn't really make much mention of that, which you are correct, should have been more visible. Really, I origonally expected this game to be miedocre at best, and after the first beta test, I actually told all my friends how terrible it was, and how I wouldn't be playing. It wasn't until I gave it another chance and let myself play past the intro that I discovered how good it was, and since then, I have been Star Wars obsessed (the movies, the lore, and everything else!).

That is what was on my mind, I am sorry i didn't convey it better and instead focused on the review portion. I literally was indifferent to naive about Star Wars prior to this game, and somehow have been turned into a fanboi... scary....

Originally posted by Bhayn

I agree with this review for the most part. The final scores may be a tad high, but I view this game as a work in progress. Even after launch, it'll still be a work in progress (which I think all MMOs should be).

One sound quibble I have deals with NPC conversations.  It seems as if you could hear a conversation taking place outside a Jedi temple (say) from like 3 miles away as if they were right next to you. Not really a big deal, just a minor anomaly I noted.

I think this game will be around for awhile. They'll drop the ball on occasion, after all it is their first mmo, but we now have another in our growing list of obsessions lol. 

I actually reviewed it considering all mmo's are always a work in progress, and that these games will evolve. I wanted to give it a fair look based on how good it was compared to other mmo's particularly at release, although I think it could be compared to single player games too due to the high level of story content.

The sound quibble you mentioned... I noticed that too, when I was on the speeder bike going from one place to another, when I passed a conversation for only a second, it continued to play as I got out of range at full volume. Definately a bug.

• DugathDugath Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by SethiusX

Originally posted by DexterMMO

Originally posted by Dugath

I stoped reading after you gave 8/10 for Graphics. Shadows consisting of little black squares? Sure "some" of the backgrounds look ok. But i have not seen anything that would give this game an 8/10 for graphics. Not even close.

This game "looks" like it was made about 6 years ago.

I will post this non stop because people are preposteriously troll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OskRij8AYaU

I almost think my original score of 8/10 for graphics may have been too low after watching that. I never realized the strain the voice cut scenes for quests put on character models, but it's true, the models do an excellent job of conveying emotion in my opnion. This is worth a lot for me, as it makes the game more immersive where it counts.

HEre is a picture of what I am talking about, though not a good picture though as I did not care to do a big time search.

As you can see the character shadows are blocky. Made from little squares.

My Computer is playing this game with everything maxed out, and to me this game is not visualy that great.

Just my opinion is all. Some people will like like the game others will not.

Originally posted by SethiusX

I stoped reading after you gave 8/10 for Graphics. Shadows consisting of little black squares? Sure "some" of the backgrounds look ok. But i have not seen anything that would give this game an 8/10 for graphics. Not even close.

I almost think my original score of 8/10 for graphics may have been too low after watching that. I never realized the strain the voice cut scenes for quests put on character models, but it's true, the models do an excellent job of conveying emotion in my opnion. This is worth a lot for me, as it makes the game more immersive where it counts.

HEre is a picture of what I am talking about, though not a good picture though as I did not care to do a big time search.

As you can see the character shadows are blocky. Made from little squares.

My Computer is playing this game with everything maxed out, and to me this game is not visualy that great.

Just my opinion is all. Some people will like like the game others will not.

When I logged in and looked awhile ago, the shadows to me seemed like they needed AA to be turned on to smooth out some of the jagged corners. I could be wrong, and I guess we'll find out on release when they enable AA. To be honest, I didn't even notice the shadows the first time around as I was more focused on the backgrounds and scenery, like when I got to Coruscant, all I could say was "Wow, this is cool!".

Your right about your opinion though, everyone is entitled to that. It's also fair that you judge SWTOR only on graphics if you want to, even if you disagree with some that say the graphics are very well done. I would have preferred if you had read the rest of my review before judging it solely on my graphics score, but again, it's your right to do that if you want. No harsh feelings, everyone sees things differently, or else why would we even have to discuss this game?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

How is Darth Baras' acceptable?  I get that his helmet is supposed to look somewhat monolithic, but come on.  It looks like his head is made of pixelated paper mache.  Least it matches his giant paper shoulder ornaments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HwLqku4z8

edit: ok, realized that wasn't quite fair.  graphics in cutscenes seem inconsistent, and sometimes did look better.  Somewhat better, but still..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPv5KJN558w

and Tremel?  What kind of design decision is that? He's the Sith Warrior's first example of a Sith leader type, but he's this dorky little guy that talks like Captain Kirk?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Yes...you are exactly that.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Gorwe

Just curious...

Why are you defending the game Sethius? It is Bioware's job by keeping it updated and fresh not of fanboys(because you do sound Like one).

And be very, very, wary of becoming Fan of new I.P.(if it is too acute it'll hit you in the head, trust me). When I began playing Dawn of War I was instantly made a Fan of 40k. Nowadays, if the game is not Warhammer Fantasy/40k, Lord of The Rings, The Elder Scrolls or D&D based(better with Pathfinder rules than with awkward 4.0 rules), perhaps Star Trek even, the game is simply blocked from my pleasure centres. That happens in cases of Acute I.P. Enrollment(let's call it Like that).

Different people become heavily invested in different IPs. I was a big fan of Lord of the Rings for the longest time. However, the inconsistancies in LOTRO drove me nuts. Even thou, I really wanted to like the game. I did not like playing it. With Star Wars, I do not have that problem. I am not a big fan of Star Wars to begin with.

Originally posted by Gorwe

Just curious...

Why are you defending the game Sethius? It is Bioware's job by keeping it updated and fresh not of fanboys(because you do sound Like one).

And be very, very, wary of becoming Fan of new I.P.(if it is too acute it'll hit you in the head, trust me). When I began playing Dawn of War I was instantly made a Fan of 40k. Nowadays, if the game is not Warhammer Fantasy/40k, Lord of The Rings, The Elder Scrolls or D&D based(better with Pathfinder rules than with awkward 4.0 rules), perhaps Star Trek even, the game is simply blocked from my pleasure centres. That happens in cases of Acute I.P. Enrollment(let's call it Like that).

I don't think my review sounds like a fanboy, but moreso like someone who played a new game and enjoyed it, albeit a lot. That is because I wasn't a fan of star wars before I played the game, and so my view of the game was not tainted at all by the Star Wars IP or the hype. Now I would say I am a fanboy by at least some definitions, and that doesn't bother me. 

I would say I am already a big fan of all the IP's you listed, so I'm in a similar boat.

Anyway, I'm not defending the game, per se, I'm defending how I felt about the game. It's an important difference, I think. I hope Bioware can keep making the game better and better for their own reasons.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Totaly agree. Anyone who gives SWTOR more than 5/10 didnt played game with good graphics on good computer recently. SWTOR graphics sucks big time.

Originally posted by Malevil

Totaly agree. Anyone who gives SWTOR more than 5/10 didnt played game with good graphics on good computer recently. SWTOR graphics sucks big time.

You gave pretty little to back that up, whereas I an others in the thread who think the graphics are very good gave a lot to back that up. Is there some further information to actually indicate why you feel this way?

Also, remember this game is not supposed to compare to Skyrim or other single player games, graphically. We are on mmorpg.com and most of the games on here go for efficiency while making their games pretty to support the possibly plethiora of players. As for mmo's, I think Star Wars is easily an 8/10 for graphics on the mmo scale, with a few other mmo's being above it, and most being below it. 

Sure Star Wars has the post processing stuff off as well, but they could easily add that, and I don't think you can make a bad looking game look good with just post-processing.

Comparing mmo's to single player games is not fair, they are too different classes that use graphics in two different ways. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to the OP, i played my first beta-weekend this past weekend and i came away with mostly positive views too.  I would say that my review follows yours, with the one glaring exception of graphics, which i must admit i think are abysmal.  but the story, sound, gameplay are decent enough that i can overlook the graphics so i'll still be playing at launch :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

You gave pretty little to back that up, whereas I an others in the thread who think the graphics are very good gave a lot to back that up. Is there some further information to actually indicate why you feel this way?

Also, remember this game is not supposed to compare to Skyrim or other single player games, graphically. We are on mmorpg.com and most of the games on here go for efficiency while making their games pretty to support the possibly plethiora of players. As for mmo's, I think Star Wars is easily an 8/10 for graphics on the mmo scale, with a few other mmo's being above it, and most being below it. 

Sure Star Wars has the post processing stuff off as well, but they could easily add that, and I don't think you can make a bad looking game look good with just post-processing.

Comparing mmo's to single player games is not fair, they are too different classes that use graphics in two different ways. 

I agree with this in its entirety.

It's very unfair to base an MMO's graphics on the same scale as a single-player game, especially considering this is one that has 'Mass Appeal' stapled all over the cover of its box. To complain about the shadows or edges is really shallow, seeing how you can beef most of that up with your graphics card control center - I did just that, and I haven't seen a jagged edge or blocky shadow sense. More so, there's numerous graphical options in-game for those with lesser PCs to make the games shadows blob-like and diminish the smoothness - if I recall, the one option is actually called Blob Shadows.

You really have to actually TRY the game and screw with the settings to judge it efficiently, as you can make it look quite nice with maxed setting and tippity-top AA.

Looks good to me, or at least better than the majority of stale-looking MMOs. 

Originally posted by itchmon

to the OP, i played my first beta-weekend this past weekend and i came away with mostly positive views too.  I would say that my review follows yours, with the one glaring exception of graphics, which i must admit i think are abysmal.  but the story, sound, gameplay are decent enough that i can overlook the graphics so i'll still be playing at launch :)

I have played all the current gen games, but I also played WoW since early 2005. Due to my experiences in WoW, I welcome the style of SWTOR, and the robustness of the character models and epic scale of the backgrounds. Still, even if I hated the graphics, I would still be playing as you mentioned, because everything else in the game ticks the right boxes for me.