Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why SWTOR is worth your money.

I'll keep this short and sweet.

I paid 50$ for Dragon Age 2 and loved every minute of it.  Then it was over, and I played through with a new class, and enjoyed it just as much.  SWTOR is offering MUCH more content than a game like DA:2.

You could treat SWTOR as a single player game... and get your moneys worth.  I plan on buying it and playing to max level.  Once max level I doubt I will continue, but it will be well worth the box cost for that much content.

I've been here a while...

Comments

• massicksmassicks Member Posts: 46

Problem is unlike a single player game you are also paying a monthly subscription on top of the initial outlay so that needs to be factored in when considering whether it is worth the money...

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by massicks

Problem is unlike a single player game you are also paying a monthly subscription on top of the initial outlay so that needs to be factored in when considering whether it is worth the money...

But like the OP is saying, TOR is offering MUCH more than your regular offline RPG.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

An MMO sub is fifty cents per day. A good MMO can keep me busy for months (some for years).

If I wasn't playing an MMO, I would be spending $40 - 60 per week on new games, and these days you're lucky to get 20 hours out of a game.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I agree with your basic premise that SWTOR offers enough as an SPRPG to justify the price, but my issues are these:

1.  SWTOR is worse off for being an MMORPG.  Only one companion at a time, static world, red walls you can't enter...all of these things wouldn't exist if SWTOR was just a single player game.  The fact that it is pushed into the MMORPG paradigm makes the game worse IMO.

2.  The sub fee.  I really feel like the MMORPG portion of this game is just to justify the sub fee.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by nomss

But like the OP is saying, TOR is offering MUCH more than your regular offline RPG.

I guess he havent played Skyrim then.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Torgrim

I got a fun week's play out of Skyrim. Definately worth the money. Can't wait for the mods to start coming once the creation kit is finally released.

But even an Elder Scrolls game can't touch an MMORPG for content and longevity.....and I always end up feeling lonely in SPRPGs.

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by Creslin321

I agree with your basic premise that SWTOR offers enough as an SPRPG to justify the price, but my issues are these:

1.  SWTOR is worse off for being an MMORPG.  Only one companion at a time, static world, red walls you can't enter...all of these things wouldn't exist if SWTOR was just a single player game.  The fact that it is pushed into the MMORPG paradigm makes the game worse IMO.

2.  The sub fee.  I really feel like the MMORPG portion of this game is just to justify the sub fee.

i think this is the most accurate comment about the game in all posts until now. agree 100%

• DeminaDemina Member UncommonPosts: 30

Originally posted by manolaren

i think this is the most accurate comment about the game in all posts until now. agree 100%

I would agree with point #2, but for me that is ok.  I pay a sub fee to not be in a SPRG.  I felt comfortable in playing SWTOR by myself but I loved that there were other people there as well.   I paid the fee for WoW and other games, I can hardly complain that I will pay it for SWTOR as long as I am having fun.

I played Dragon Age for a little bit, then my husband played it and finished it.  My complaint was that it was too lonely.  I like a bit of chatter and grouping up.  I will see how it goes and I am looking forward to it.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Well, don't you think you can finish two class storylines in a month and quit? That way you'd not pay any sub fees.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I love Skyrim and I still love TOR. Skyrim is more sandbox and perfectly suited for a single player experience. TOR is perfect for my social fix. If Skyrim was placed in an MMO world, the whole thing would be a buggy disaster just like SWG was. TOR is well worth the money IMO. If I only soloed the entire game, it would get old fast. Just seeing others running around and the variables that creates makes it feel alive and social even if you do solo a lot.

There Is Always Hope!

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by solarine

Well, don't you think you can finish two class storylines in a month and quit? That way you'd not pay any sub fees.

I doubt it. MMO's are designed to keep the content spaced out so that reaching what one can concidder an end takes a lot longer than a single player game. Sure there is much more content, but it'll take you a lot longer to see the same amount in a mmo that you would out of a single player storyline. Not to mention single player games have that siticefying ending. There is a lot more time required to get to the ending in SWTOR than a month would allow for a lot of players who aren't at the pc for 8+ hours a day. 

I am  not saying SWTOR packs a crapload of content, only that it will take a lot longer to complete it than a month perhaps. Keep in mind though that the game may bore you long before you reach that month. For some the cost of box and subscription is well worth the time they will invest in it. For others, it's not enough to pay all that only to be bored of playing a game they basically have already played in the past with a new story.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I got a fun week's play out of Skyrim. Definately worth the money. Can't wait for the mods to start coming once the creation kit is finally released.

But even an Elder Scrolls game can't touch an MMORPG for content and longevity.....and I always end up feeling lonely in SPRPGs.

There's always Lydia to keep you company....

-ducks-

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

This isent like alot of other mmo's where you can crank out 50 lvl's twice in 4 weeks and frankly where exactly is the fun in that? I have a lvl high lvl sorc been testing  2 months with him not any where near the cap (it might only be month and a half)

I have never understood(what ever the reason) this line of thought. I understand where your comeing from to get out of paying 15 bucks but realy, 15 bucks a month how much do you spend on fast food a month or  the movies? Its not verry much cash IF your haveing fun...no?

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by FlawSGI

I doubt it. MMO's are designed to keep the content spaced out so that reaching what one can concidder an end takes a lot longer than a single player game. Sure there is much more content, but it'll take you a lot longer to see the same amount in a mmo that you would out of a single player storyline. Not to mention single player games have that siticefying ending. There is a lot more time required to get to the ending in SWTOR than a month would allow for a lot of players who aren't at the pc for 8+ hours a day. 

I am  not saying SWTOR packs a crapload of content, only that it will take a lot longer to complete it than a month perhaps. Keep in mind though that the game may bore you long before you reach that month. For some the cost of box and subscription is well worth the time they will invest in it. For others, it's not enough to pay all that only to be bored of playing a game they basically have already played in the past with a new story.

Well anyway, considering you can't go back to play the game for free after that, it's going to be no Elder Scrolls or Baldur's Gate. :) I played Baldur's Gate 2 for over a year, every single day. Hard to beat that in terms of value. :) 

Still, there are a lot of single player games I enjoyed and never went back to: They played something like 40 hours if that, and I never doubted their value, I more than got my money's worth.

I think we just expect more from MMOs, and it's really nothing to do with sub money. Maybe it really has more to do with time: The games are gobbling up a lot of time for a small piece of good... And time *is* money - and more. I've not felt for a minute that Skyrim was grinding my time away.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Yeah - cause that extra .50 cents a day for 24/7 playtime is a game breaker lol

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

I am at 103 hours in Skyrim so far. All 20 words with most at 3rd level , the mage college - bard college - companions (yes I am still a werewolf I like it) thieves guild - main questline and most of the dark brother hood quest line done - have multiple houses for my fugly ass wife (that is bugged and sleeping  with some other dude) etc etc ad nasuem lol. Great game, well worth the 60 bucks other than the console abortion style interface. Waiting now for some good mods and working on a few myself.

I see SWTOR as a better 60$ investment for the one month time period prior to paying a sub. If you got time to burn and enjoy the gameplay whether it is worth the $ is completely relative. For 60 bucks I will get a couple hundred hours in the first month out of it. (providing the servers stay up - you know how that shit goes at new releases) After that if it is worth continuing I will pay the sub. If it isn't , I wont.

PS: NO SPELL MAKING BETHESDA....... lameeeeeeee A dev needs,  NEEDS to be punched in the face for that. Period.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

This.  Instead of adding to it, it's built so rigidly like a SP game that the MMO element breaks it in all different ways.  Seems like trying to make it an MMO tied up resources so badly that they couldn't adequately flesh out the content, even with all that time and money they had.  I'd uninstalled the open beta before it was over, and wouldn't even play it for free.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316

I think we will see the same model for more singleplayer games if it is successful.

Heard also of MW3 subscriptions. Companies earn more money, but the quality of the games really suffers under it. I think a big amount of the cash goes into the marketing only and not in the development. There is also a majority of players who pay for xbox live... YEHAAH!

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

There's always Lydia to keep you company....

-ducks-

Actually, I married The Huntress image

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Originally posted by sacredcow4

I paid 50$ for Dragon Age 2 and loved every minute of it.  Then it was over, and I played through with a new class, and enjoyed it just as much.  SWTOR is offering MUCH more content than a game like DA:2.

You could treat SWTOR as a single player game... and get your moneys worth.  I plan on buying it and playing to max level.  Once max level I doubt I will continue, but it will be well worth the box cost for that much content.

Ok,I can agree that it'd most liekly be worth the box cost...

but what about the sub cost? Whether it offers MUCH more than a single player game,Not so sure about that.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by tank017

Originally posted by sacredcow4

Ok,I can agree that it'd most liekly be worth the box cost...

but what about the sub cost?

I think it is absolutely worth and additional $15 a month. It is like 10 Dragon Age games or ME2's plus you get PVP, Flashpoints,  and end game content.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

The sub cost is fine for me.  I will probably play through the content I care about that first month, then I can pay another 15$ when they have a big update, or in a year, and get a ton more hours of new stuff for on 15$.

I definitely won't stay subbed once I get through the content, but resubbing after a few updates is cheaper than buying DLC for a single player game.

The ONLY drawback to this being an mmorpg... is no modding :(  But I'd say the pros outweight the cons here.  I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'll never experience the magic of Ultima Online in another game. So, I'm finding other ways to enjoy the enjoyable aspects of today's mmo's.  For a game like SWTOR, that means enjoying a slow play through my first month, and resubbing when I get new content.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189

it is worth my money because i have fun playing it.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Well anyway, considering you can't go back to play the game for free after that, it's going to be no Elder Scrolls or Baldur's Gate. :) I played Baldur's Gate 2 for over a year, every single day. Hard to beat that in terms of value. :) 

Still, there are a lot of single player games I enjoyed and never went back to: They played something like 40 hours if that, and I never doubted their value, I more than got my money's worth.

I think we just expect more from MMOs, and it's really nothing to do with sub money. Maybe it really has more to do with time: The games are gobbling up a lot of time for a small piece of good... And time *is* money - and more. I've not felt for a minute that Skyrim was grinding my time away.

Pretty much. I have had Skyrim for about 3 weeks now and the time just dissappears. I haven't felt like I was grinding at all and I actually do get lost in the game. I think my money is well spent on the game and if they decide to release content I will have no problem supporting them by purchasing it. 

I do expect more from an MMO and I don't feel there is anything wrong with that. If a game is designed to hook you in and keep you paying a monthly sub (which I have had no problem with in the past) then it has to have enough to keep me from feeling like my money is wasted since I won't be seeing an ending. I won't bash TOR since I haven't played it myself. If it does play like WoW and people find that fun then that is great. I played WoW for a few years off and on and I didn't really have a complaint with the game until Wrath. I look back at time spent there and I don't feel my money was wasted. However, when I get tired of a game I don't want to pay another box + sub to feel like I am playing a game I stopped playing years ago.  Each person will feel differenet about moneys worth and what they are expecting in a game to warrant what they pay. I just don't think at this time that I will show my support to a game that I feel, judging only by what info is out there, is my cup of tea. 

Could I get my moneys worth outta TOR? Absolutely.

Will I give a company my money for a product that I feel is only good enough to try untill something better somes out? Nope. That is only supporting what I think is not good enough and that makes no sence. I do feel the game will do well and I don't think that is a bad thing. We all like different stuff.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

For 60$ + 15$ for second month... Assuming content doesn't drop off after level 20, I will get hundreds of hours of gameplay.  Rather or not this is an mmo or single player game... that much story/scripted content is definitely worth the cash imo.  If DragonAge2 had monthly updates with hours of content I'd pay a sub and never want mmo aspects.  The mmo part of SWTOR is a bonus imo.