Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I'm thinking about biting the Eve Online bullet.

GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

It's no doubt that Eve Online is a solid game. I don't think Space Simulation and being a ship all the time is my thing but the game mechanics and everything else to me is basically flawless. My father in law is a avid gamer and he's the type that use dot play a new game every 3months and got bored very easily. He's 6 years strong in the game now and he only plays Guild Wars for his simple PvP goodness and Eve Online has his main game. I'm going to give a shot regardless with the free trial. I do want to play my own style really and I don't mean to bring the old school medevil game style comparison but I would love to play my game the same way rogues and agile characters. 

Now this may not even be possible in this game but I know there's so much to do in this game. I have other games to get my other types of fix out of the way like I have my MMORTS games set, and I have my MOBA game set, but I would like a great immersive game to play like Eve Online. So I guess my question is what should I know as a noob if I want to develop this kind of ship or whatever. I know how the skills work and all but I wouldn't know where to start in choosing my skills. If you guys want to diect me to a more UPDATED site that would be great but just any guidance whatsoever. Also, let me know if any of your guilds or coporations are hiring noobs or whatever.

Thanks.

Old School Gamer - http://www.rsclegacy.com/

Comments

• PerramasPerramas Member UncommonPosts: 83

Check out EVE university, it is a corporation based on training new players. http://www.eveuniversity.org/

FUncom putting the FU in fun since 1993.

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Do all the tutorials and ask questions in the noob chat you're forced into for 30 days.  But really, do all the tutorials - they've become much much better over the years.

• DalanoDalano Member Posts: 116

You mentioned rogues and agile characters, which immediately brings to mind a recon/covert ops/interceptor pilot. You'll have stealth after a fashion and be quite desirable for small gang/pirate warfare. Plus interceptors are some of the most agile ships in game.

The best advice I can give you is to pick a path and stick with it--trying to do everything is the biggest mistake most first timers make. The aformentioned Eve University is a great place to start, and their website is full of useful info as well.

Good luck, and have fun! 

Playing: FFXIV, EVE

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

EVE is a game that you can attempt to lone wolf in for a lil bit. But to be completley honest you will need others at many points in the game. Not necessarily for any PVE purposes but things like simply aquiring a ship and modules can be very difficult without the support. You do have your father who plays and has a good amount of time so I'm sure he has the skills that could help you along the way and there is nothing like experience in EVE because that comes with time.

It's not like WoW or Rift or Diablo or GW's in that affect that experience is not gained by how many NPC ships you've blown up today. It's based purely on time and the skills you train during. A big part that you should also understand is that EVE is one of the most unforgiving titles to date. When you lose a high-end ship you LOSE that high-end ship there's no return to graveyard here.

One other and probably the most important. Don't trust anyone, not ya dad, not ya brother, not ya best bud, No one. They all have the potential to do you wrong in numerous fashions some outright direct and others that will sit and fester without your knowledge until its far too late..

You remember these things and your in for experience that can't be replicated anywhere else..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

It's no doubt that Eve Online is a solid game. I don't think Space Simulation and being a ship all the time is my thing but the game mechanics and everything else to me is basically flawless. My father in law is a avid gamer and he's the type that use dot play a new game every 3months and got bored very easily. He's 6 years strong in the game now and he only plays Guild Wars for his simple PvP goodness and Eve Online has his main game. I'm going to give a shot regardless with the free trial. I do want to play my own style really and I don't mean to bring the old school medevil game style comparison but I would love to play my game the same way rogues and agile characters. 

Now this may not even be possible in this game but I know there's so much to do in this game. I have other games to get my other types of fix out of the way like I have my MMORTS games set, and I have my MOBA game set, but I would like a great immersive game to play like Eve Online. So I guess my question is what should I know as a noob if I want to develop this kind of ship or whatever. I know how the skills work and all but I wouldn't know where to start in choosing my skills. If you guys want to diect me to a more UPDATED site that would be great but just any guidance whatsoever. Also, let me know if any of your guilds or coporations are hiring noobs or whatever.

Thanks.

It sounds to me like you're going into EVE with the right attitude. EVE isn't like other games (I've often said that it isn't a game, it's a hobby).

If there's one single piece of advice I'd give to people about to start playing EVE, it's this: Forget everything you learned from other games. Take EVE on it's own terms and you'll do fine.

The second piece is this: You can do almost anything you want in EVE, but YOU have to make it happen. People who want an NPC to tell them what to do get stuck in the missioning grindmill and they have a boring, unrewarding, meaningless existence. Take chances, take risks, take opportunities.

One of the above posters gave you the standard "don't trust anyone" line. I'd disagree with this advice, although it's well meant. He's right in that in EVE, there's nothing in the rules to stop other players scamming you, robbing you, ganking you, tricking you, lying to you or even paying other players to do these things. These things are entirely game-legal.

But.

The very fact that trust isn't compelled in EVE makes it the most precious commodity in the game. And in practice, the reality of day-to-day play for the players that have the most fun is that they have to routinely trust other players. I have to trust the people in my corp, the people in my alliance, the people in fleet, the fleet commander and so on. Additionally there are people who, if I saw them on overview I would cheerfully shoot, but whom I can lend billions of ISK, faction ships, etc, and trust that I'll get it back.

So the lesson to learn here is, by all means trust people, but don't trust them more than you have to. Don't lead people into temptation unless the risk outweighs the benefit.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• GeminiStaticGeminiStatic Member UncommonPosts: 182

OH yeah without a doubt. I know the deal with sandboxes and the player base and the niche is by far the type of people you know have the freedomt o do whatever. You can do things you can't do in real time which makes this game like a second life (he he he no pun intended) but yeah seriously I love the idea of this game and I just started playing and dude... I love it more than I thought and I know it only gets better. This is the type of game I've wanted I was just iffy because you're a ship really through out the whole time but it doesn't bother me at this point EVE is a universe and has the chance to expand to whatever and its the game with the best mechanics. Funny thing is I saw a poster here say they're playing EVE ONLINE and Glitch and so am I lol

anyways my only problem right now is what skills I should start with to get into my covert ops career. I read a lot of career paths that suit my rogue like path. I wrote this on the EVE FORUM but no one responded:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=33666&find=unread

I guess my one thing right now is I'm just doing all beginner career missions (the 10 each of each thing to get my rewards and learn) but I know I should always be learning skills so I don't know where to start in order to fulfill the desired path. 

Although poorly typed (I assume English is not his first language) you do have a response on the EvE-O forums now and what he says is basically the way I would go.  Looking back on my 6 years of playing this game I would focus on fitting skills vs ship skills if I were you.  So, Engineering/Electronics skills to start - then weapon skills THEN ship skills.

As stated, I'm a 6 year EvE veteran and I can T2 fit and fly every frigate/destroyer sized hull in the game but I can't fly any of the capital sized class of ships.  That's by choice.  I focused on my fitting skills early on then started moving onto ship skills.  There are work arounds with Rigging to help with fitting but that being said, fitting skills help with any size/class ship so they are worthwile early on.

GL HF Fly Safe,

kovah

No English is my primary language I just suck at trying to ask a question about something even I don't fully understand. lol 

Thanks for that tip man! That's probably one of the best tips I've gotten. What skills would you suggest i learn first if I want to go down that route?

Wasn't talking about you, was talking about the first reply your post recevieved on the EvE forums.

Anyway, get Evemon (google it) and start trainging Engineering and Electronics to V.  Then read the descriptinos of the other skills in those trees and decide which one to train up next.  III at minimum, IV is good and V is win.  Don't fall for skillbook  scams and buy them from noob stations not trade hubs (ie: Jita/Rens/etc).  

OH dude I apologize to you. My bad on that.

Also thanks for that advice that's exactly what I was looking for. :) 

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

If you're considering Eve, I did it by checking out Eve Online podcasts on iTunes. It was a good way to get a feel for how the game ticks. Also, there's the eveisreal.net site for fan stuff, and Eve Players do a lot of blogging. The newbie podcasts I got into most were http://emorris1000.podbean.com/ and http://pixxietwilight.podbean.com/.

I've heard about audio tutorials by Eve University. I'd like a link to those if anyone has it.

Thx

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

It's difficult to find someone who is able to explain the game in a way that a complete noob will understand. 99 percent of the guides talk like you already know how the game works and get all the terminology.

I remember sitting in a station asking a question and every answer I got was greek to me.  The're like, "go run some ops" or "go ratting" and I'm like...wha?  Speak english!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I tried EVE on the weekend - again. I've tried it before and again came to the same conclusions.

1. The UI is unintuitive. Yes, it might be very smooth once you learn how to use it, but it takes quite a bit of time to actually get to that point.

2. The foundation of the game is superb. Working economy, working diplomacy, etc.

3. I'm not a space MMO person. I just don't find it fun watching my ship float around the space. If they would at least let me pilot my ship from the cockpit it would give me some kind of immersion and fun factor, but it doesn't.

Thus I uninstalled EVE once again and was left waiting for someone to bring me a non-space version of EVE.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Malcanis

Originally posted by GeminiStatic

original post.

It sounds to me like you're going into EVE with the right attitude. EVE isn't like other games (I've often said that it isn't a game, it's a hobby).

If there's one single piece of advice I'd give to people about to start playing EVE, it's this: Forget everything you learned from other games. Take EVE on it's own terms and you'll do fine.

The second piece is this: You can do almost anything you want in EVE, but YOU have to make it happen. People who want an NPC to tell them what to do get stuck in the missioning grindmill and they have a boring, unrewarding, meaningless existence. Take chances, take risks, take opportunities.

One of the above posters gave you the standard "don't trust anyone" line. I'd disagree with this advice, although it's well meant. He's right in that in EVE, there's nothing in the rules to stop other players scamming you, robbing you, ganking you, tricking you, lying to you or even paying other players to do these things. These things are entirely game-legal.

But.

The very fact that trust isn't compelled in EVE makes it the most precious commodity in the game. And in practice, the reality of day-to-day play for the players that have the most fun is that they have to routinely trust other players. I have to trust the people in my corp, the people in my alliance, the people in fleet, the fleet commander and so on. Additionally there are people who, if I saw them on overview I would cheerfully shoot, but whom I can lend billions of ISK, faction ships, etc, and trust that I'll get it back.

So the lesson to learn here is, by all means trust people, but don't trust them more than you have to. Don't lead people into temptation unless the risk outweighs the benefit.

The above that I highlighted in green is so increadibly true I simply do not know the words to properly describe it. Trust is EARNED, over time, like in real life.

As for your "agile rogue character", definitely cloaking ships. If you're thinking very fast, high damage output, thin defences and can sneak up undetected on someone, that's almost a perfect description of a stealth bomber. And since that's a Frigate-class ship, it wouldn't take too long to get into.

As was said before, you seem to have the right mindset. Good luck.

Where's the any key?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    If you're thinking very fast, high damage output, thin defences and can sneak up undetected on someone

Then there is nothing as such in EVE...

Originally posted by Gdemami

If you're thinking very fast, high damage output, thin defences and can sneak up undetected on someone

Then there is nothing as such in EVE...

Have you even flown a stealth bomber before?

Where's the any key?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Yes, I did. That is why I point out your error.

They are basically useless outside of 0.0 bombing. And they only work as wolf pack gankers, but then again what doesn't...

Bomber is the only T2 ship that gets beaten by T1 counterpart :)

Originally posted by Gdemami

Yes, I did. That is why I point out your error.

They are basically useless outside of 0.0 bombing. And they only work as wolf pack gankers, but then again what doesn't...

Bomber is the only T2 ship that gets beaten by T1 counterpart :)

Then you're going after the wrong targets. Try ambushing some solo miners in a wormhole.

Where's the any key?

Then you're going after the wrong targets. Try ambushing some solo miners in a wormhole.

Is that the equivalent of ganking a low-lvl noob in the middle of nowhere with your max-lvl toon? :)
  • MorgansaurMorgansaur Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by tom_gore

Is that the equivalent of ganking a low-lvl noob in the middle of nowhere with your max-lvl toon? :)

Everyone is fairgame in Eve. Everyone.

Originally posted by Morgansaur

Exactly. It's the only game out there that really forces you to think about what you're doing

Where's the any key?

So are the low-lvl noobs for the max-lvl toon. Doesn't mean it is something I'd endorse if I was running an MMO.

Probably the only reason EVE still stands is the fact that the world is so big and ganking is thus not so simple.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

So are the low-lvl noobs for the max-lvl toon. Doesn't mean it is something I'd endorse if I was running an MMO.

Probably the only reason EVE still stands is the fact that the world is so big and ganking is thus not so simple.

The thing is unlike in most MMO's lowbies can seek some kind of protection. Killing the equivalent of a "lowbie" in high sec is usually not profitable at all. I don't think many have fun suicide ganking ibis's who started playing two days ago. (after reflection this part might not be so relevant)

And if a miner is in a WH it's because he's fully aware of the risks but considers the benefits from mining in a WH worth more than the risk of not "hiding" in high sec.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

Originally posted by generals3

The thing is unlike in most MMO's lowbies can seek some kind of protection. Killing the equivalent of a "lowbie" in high sec is usually not profitable at all. I don't think many have fun suicide ganking ibis's who started playing two days ago.

And if a miner is in a WH it's because he's fully aware of the risks but considers the benefits from mining in a WH worth more than the risk of not "hiding" in high sec.

Very true. I've been in this exact situation as the miner before, and I did get hunted, but I saw the bugger's probes on my scanner and was able to bail to our POS before he could home in on me.

If you're careful and diligent, you can survive in Eve.

Where's the any key?

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Very true. I've been in this exact situation as the miner before, and I did get hunted, but I saw the bugger's probes on my scanner and was able to bail to our POS before he could home in on me.

If you're careful and diligent, you can survive in Eve.

Exactly the only time i got owned in a WH was in a gas harvesting Ferox because i didn't check D-scan, my own mistake and i should pay the price for it.

The main thing some people don't realize in EVE is that unlike many other games EVE is as safe as you want to make it. You can even avoid getting killed by many suicide gankers in high sec by just tanking up your Hulk , but most don't because it reduces yield and thus choose money over safety, their choice.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.