Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very dissappointed...

2»

Comments

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Only had a couple hours so far myself. Not ready to cancel the pre-order, but my already measured expectations for the game have been lowered even further after my first chance to play.

Character creation is way too limited. The technical reasons for limited choices just don't exist any longer. There is no reason why they couldn't have added a bunch of sliders for fine tuning the faces.

The pre-rendered cinematics are nice, but completely incongruent with the cartoonish in game graphics. It is very much the WoW approach to game art. :( Also, the character animations are pretty bad, reminds me of the wierd animations for some of the characters in Star Wars: Clone Wars, but combined with cartoon graphics and odd body proportions that are stuck between realistic and hyper stylized, it just doesn't work here. Either go for the hyper stylized look of Clone Wars or stick to realistic!

The World is small and completely old style theme park. It doesn't feel like an organic world, everything is clearly placed on a linear path to provide content, rather than trying to find middle ground between believable environment and playable environment.

Lastly, for now, the pacing is horrible. It's hard to believe that they would design so much down time doing nothing into the first half hour of play. It's a little action here and there and a lot of going to and from quest points and quest givers. I've been playing the heck out of Skyrim and don't mind the pacing there, because the world is open and you can explore and do your own thing. When the game has you on narrow rails, like TOR, travel isn't free roaming immersion, it's just a chore to get where you need to go. There also has been nothing interesting in the environment so far, so you can't distract yourself with the pretty sights.

Disappointed.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by kalinis

did u even go to dromand kass its 4 times the size of kooriban. For the record hutta and ord mantell and tython are all bigger then kooriban. Kooriban is by far the smallest of the starter worlds which are the smallest worlds in game.

I loved tor but if u didnt evne leave the starter world then u dont know what your talking about.

Oh well i didn't want to spoil it for him by giving names of planets. it is more fun to discover it for yourself. That is the problem with majority of posts. Players don't even get out of starter areas and start complaining and assuming that all planets in SWTOR are tiny and small.

/facepalm

It's a fair assumption if you haven't read anything about the later worlds. My biggest criticism of TOR is that it's opening game doesn't set a good impression for  the rest of it.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Originally posted by Gibbonici

did u even go to dromand kass its 4 times the size of kooriban. For the record hutta and ord mantell and tython are all bigger then kooriban. Kooriban is by far the smallest of the starter worlds which are the smallest worlds in game.

I loved tor but if u didnt evne leave the starter world then u dont know what your talking about.

Oh well i didn't want to spoil it for him by giving names of planets. it is more fun to discover it for yourself. That is the problem with majority of posts. Players don't even get out of starter areas and start complaining and assuming that all planets in SWTOR are tiny and small.

/facepalm

It's a fair assumption if you haven't read anything about the later worlds. My biggest criticism of TOR is that it's opening game doesn't set a good impression for  the rest of it.

That first hour is extremely important, many players don't give a game a chance if they don't care for the first hour. After that point, the first few hours and even the first couple days are also important. It really seems like they are dropping the ball, if the game actually does get a lot better later.

I've played Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular and Smuggler so far and Jedi Knight is by far the best early play experience and story line, the other two just don't compare. With so many people pre-disposed by the i.p. to want to play a Jedi Knight before they even enter the game, I was shocked they didn't make sure that the other professions were a lot more fun than they are, so that those adventerous enough to try something other than a Knight aren't disappointed.

BTW, I hate the way the Smuggler plays. The cover mechanic is very clunky and although a good idea in theory, just is not handled well in game. :(

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by fiontar

Originally posted by Gibbonici

/facepalm

That first hour is extremely important, many players don't give a game a chance if they don't care for the first hour. After that point, the first few hours and even the first couple days are also important. It really seems like they are dropping the ball, if the game actually does get a lot better later.

I've played Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular and Smuggler so far and Jedi Knight is by far the best early play experience and story line, the other two just don't compare. With so many people pre-disposed by the i.p. to want to play a Jedi Knight before they even enter the game, I was shocked they didn't make sure that the other professions were a lot more fun than they are, so that those adventerous enough to try something other than a Knight aren't disappointed.

BTW, I hate the way the Smuggler plays. The cover mechanic is very clunky and although a good idea in theory, just is not handled well in game. :(

I hated the jedi knight. Geh bored me to death. The ones I loooove are the Imperial agent (it's so damn entertaining to me) and the Bounty Hunter.  There are as many different opinions about these stories though as there are people who have played them so take that for what you will. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by nomss

I was looking forward to the game, but after playing the beta for few hours, I am having second thoughts about even buying the game, hardly sub for it.

I did not really like the PVP or PVE... I thought the worlds were suppose to be big... but they're tiny. So tiny that it's pathetic. I have been doing 3D modelling for a while now, and I feel I could have single handedly done a better job of A starter planet. All the NPCs want to you freakin underground cave again and again and it's BS. It is like DA2 all over again freaking making you run through same place until you are ready to puke your guts out.

The starter planet lacks in detail, texture seems to be pretty bad. I have nothing against stylized art but they could have done a better job in many spots.

Take any game from FFX (except for FFXIV) - winthin minutes you start to feel you are on some superb adventure. But here, go back under that one shi.. cave again and again; seriously....?

Hell even in FFXI within hour you were traveling far and beyound. The scenery changed at a nice pace. But in Koriban, the dessert does not want to end, seems like it goes on forever.

PVP... you are joking right. You can't chose which game you want to participate? Redicilously big time clock. Oh and every time you die, you have to take the scooter again and again - pissing me of so bad. Where were the testers??? Don't tell me this did not bother the hell out of people.

I totally agree there. I hated that stupid biker thingy. I almsot have no hair left on my head from tearing it all away. I´m starting to have some doubts about my preorder as well. Since I long for PVP this might just not cut it for me, even though I´m a HUGE Star Wars fan...

Originally posted by Saunakiller

I was looking forward to the game, but after playing the beta for few hours, I am having second thoughts about even buying the game, hardly sub for it.

I did not really like the PVP or PVE... I thought the worlds were suppose to be big... but they're tiny. So tiny that it's pathetic. I have been doing 3D modelling for a while now, and I feel I could have single handedly done a better job of A starter planet. All the NPCs want to you freakin underground cave again and again and it's BS. It is like DA2 all over again freaking making you run through same place until you are ready to puke your guts out.

The starter planet lacks in detail, texture seems to be pretty bad. I have nothing against stylized art but they could have done a better job in many spots.

Take any game from FFX (except for FFXIV) - winthin minutes you start to feel you are on some superb adventure. But here, go back under that one shi.. cave again and again; seriously....?

Hell even in FFXI within hour you were traveling far and beyound. The scenery changed at a nice pace. But in Koriban, the dessert does not want to end, seems like it goes on forever.

PVP... you are joking right. You can't chose which game you want to participate? Redicilously big time clock. Oh and every time you die, you have to take the scooter again and again - pissing me of so bad. Where were the testers??? Don't tell me this did not bother the hell out of people.

I totally agree there. I hated that stupid biker thingy. I almsot have no hair left on my head from tearing it all away. I´m starting to have some doubts about my preorder as well. Since I long for PVP this might just not cut it for me, even though I´m a HUGE Star Wars fan...

You guys seriously didn't notice what the speeder was for?

In most games like this (wow for example) when you die in instanced pvp you have a respawn timer. In TOR when you die, you respawn instantly, but that would be bad for the gameplay if everyone was just instantly back in the fight. Death would be meaningless. The speeder is like a respawn timer, only instead of being a dead ghosts standing by a graveyard waiting to respawn, you're riding a speeder over the battlefield and you can see the whole map. 

Also, I think they intentionally aren't allowing people to pick their instance in the general beta (which carries over into the weekend beta) to force people to test everything. If they dont' have this capabilty at launch, people will demand it, and I suspect they will have to put it in. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by dubyahite

In most games like this (wow for example) when you die in instanced pvp you have a respawn timer. In TOR when you die, you respawn instantly, but that would be bad for the gameplay if everyone was just instantly back in the fight. Death would be meaningless. The speeder is like a respawn timer, only instead of being a dead ghosts standing by a graveyard waiting to respawn, you're riding a speeder over the battlefield and you can see the whole map. 

Also, I think they intentionally aren't allowing people to pick their instance in the general beta (which carries over into the weekend beta) to force people to test everything. If they dont' have this capabilty at launch, people will demand it, and I suspect they will have to put it in. 

I prefer the timer 7 days a week. I hated running to the bike and see that animation over and over again. I much rather see a timer go down and the fight in the background or something. And also I lack a meaningfull PVP. Only one planet for PVP? Is this for real? I choosed a PVP server to be able to PVP everywhere. :P

Originally posted by dubyahite

I prefer the timer 7 days a week. I hated running to the bike and see that animation over and over again. I much rather see a timer go down and the fight in the background or something. And also I lack a meaningfull PVP. Only one planet for PVP? Is this for real? I choosed a PVP server to be able to PVP everywhere. :P

From like the third planet on, you can pvp everywhere. The one planet thing is where the objective based open world pvp is at, on Illum. The rest of the planets have open world pvp. Tatooine even has an area whre there is FFA pvp you can attack your own faction in.  

I guess the speeder is up to opinion. It's much more immersive in my opinion. Feels cooler than sitting there watching numbers count downl. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Man, have you seen Tatooine? I mean, is it tiny as well? And as to pvp, in WoW you have to wait sometimes much longer than it takes to get to the battle on a speeder.