Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed in SWTOR? Let's talk about why.

Comments

• PalatinePalatine Member Posts: 65

this is my final post in this thread. Put it this way... this game as it stands wouldnt have a EMU generated by the players for any reason! 

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273

after 4 hours in beta and managed to reach lvl 10 on my character i was already bored out of my skull, this game aint fun. its just a copy/past been there done that. aint worth my money

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Quite minor points all that the OP listed, only thing I strongly agree is the UI, it needs ALOT more customization options. Yeah and chat bubbles would be nice.

Other than, it's what I knew it would be before I tried it, and I've had a blast this wekeend, most annoying thing however is that I've completely no idea what class to roll from the start now -.-

Edit: Btw I was amazed how little whining about anything considering the game there has been the last two days in the beta, taking this forum as ref point there should be nothing but whining in the chat of the game heh. There's people who dont like many things about this game, but mostly the group this game is made for seems to like it.

Originally posted by Kuinn

Other than, it's what I knew it would be before I tried it, and I've had a blast this wekeend, most annoying thing however is that I've completely no idea what class to roll from the start now -.-

I did say the last post was my last in this thread, but had to comment. Thats because they all feel like the same class? Whatever you play its going to feel dull...................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'=dead

• ZeelotZeelot Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by scotty899

this just in 'ITS FREE A BETA' andit aint gona make everyone happy.

If you are just gona cry, why dont you post it in the swotr forum so somthing can be elaborated on and maybe fixed/changed.

i enjoy it. nothing like WoW. no stupid panda expansion. and people who QQ for no auto hit should just stick to their one button macro mmo's

1. This was just a stress test of servers - nothing major will change for launch.

2. It is EXACTLY like wow, just worse.

I am tired of wow and want something NEW. If I wanted WoW2 in space, then swtor would do an ok job. I am pretty sure subscriber numbers are going to drop like a rock after the first month.

Why can't developers just make a real mmo...

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Been there done that and voice over is not a big deal to me.

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

The game have a lot of flaws, and a lot of positive things too, but i'm dissapointed with it because i wanted a new Knights of the Old Republic mixed with a new MMORPG, and sadly this game isn't any of those things. KOTOR games have a more mature and elaborated story with fantastic characters and places. Bioware has lost his touch, or maybe it's EA's fault...

• SkrankenSkranken Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by I_Return
    OP, theose are minor things compared to the scope of the entire game. This game is an entirely new genre of  mmo.

Its not an entirely new genre of anything.. Star Wars MMO and World of Warcraft exist from before..

• immortal111immortal111 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Eh, I never wanted this game. I played beta today for the first time and leveled to 11, and I had a blast! The bounty hunter class was fun as hell, and i found myself wanting to listen to every cut scene. I like the story, I like the combat, I like the pvp matches, I like the quests..... I wonder how the dungeons are. 

Thinking of preordering now.... not sure though

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Palatine

I did say the last post was my last in this thread, but had to comment. Thats because they all feel like the same class? Whatever you play its going to feel dull...................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz'=dead

Only class that "felt the same" to me was Jedi Knight, it felt like the generic warrior in any other mmorpg, still I had fun because the animations and gfx were very nice to my taste.

Smuggler and Trooper were a lot more unique and had twists, and abilities to them, that I cant really place into any other "traditional mmorpg class" as easily as the JK.

Going to try consular tomorrow, but the main thing is, I'm having honest fun with this game, and I'm sorry for you not having fun with it, I'm sure something gets released next spring (TSW? GW2?) that you might like too.

Originally posted by Palatine

Only class that "felt the same" to me was Jedi Knight, it felt like the generic warrior in any other mmorpg, still I had fun because the animations and gfx were very nice to my taste.

Smuggler and Trooper were a lot more unique and had twists, and abilities to them, that I cant really place into any other "traditional mmorpg class" as easily as the JK.

Going to try consular tomorrow, but the main thing is, I'm having honest fun with this game, and I'm sorry for you not having fun with it, I'm sure something gets released next spring (TSW? GW2?) that you might like too.

Glad you are having fun mate, thats the main thing! Good on you sir!

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Originally posted by Margulis

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

1. Character creation - (lack of options in key areas like body and face type)

Espescially the body types/size could/should be improved

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

Valid point, tough only a minor inconcenience for most

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

Valid point, tough only a minor inconvenience for most

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

I happen to like the space minigame for what it is, a min game

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

Not a point of my concern

9. Very slow travel speed.

Which is good as it makes the world feel bigger, and when i was in the millitary i could not run that fast with all my gear on my back.

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

11. Graphics, especially in environments.

I like their graphics style, its build to last.

12. Cannot custom UI

This really is a major Issue, they are going to improve that after release.

13.  Extremely primitive guild features.

Not a point of my concern, as these are things that can and will be easilly improved after release

14.  No chat bubbles (to help with cross-faction chat)

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

Valid point, but who cares if its not possible to swim.

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

²

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

The same list the op made is what SOME OF YOU bitched about that "killed" other mmos. Talk about retards with wings, you flocked over to the exact same thing you posted against and "love" it. No, not all of you had negative posts or flocked over after being retarded, I'm talking to the ones that seem to be as two faced as Harvey Dent when it comes to being so "staunch" on their ideals and opinions. For the rest, hope you enjoy TOR.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• SterlingGSterlingG Member Posts: 26

Originally posted by redpins

The same list the op made is what SOME OF YOU bitched about that "killed" other mmos. Talk about retards with wings, you flocked over to the exact same thing you posted against and "love" it. No, not all of you had negative posts or flocked over after being retarded, I'm talking to the ones that seem to be as two faced as Harvey Dent when it comes to being so "staunch" on their ideals and opinions. For the rest, hope you enjoy TOR.

People are entitled to their opinions, wether you like them or not.  They are what they are...

But what I have a problem with is your use of the word "retard".  Do you even know someone who is mentally challenged?  Didn't think so...

Yet you claim in your signature and avatar such things as "wisdom" and a "hatred of ignorance".  Really?

Please people try and be a bit more empathetic towards your fellow man.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

OP here.  Lots of different opinions, which is to be expected.  One thing that I will agree with is that, individually, pretty much all of the things I listed aren't THAT big of a deal or that hard to fix.  The problem is that there are so many of them they just add up, which to me equaled a pretty disappointing expereince. 

One thing seems pretty clear to me - a VERY LARGE portion of the huge amounts they threw into this game must have been towards the voice acting, dialgoue and cut scenes - because after that this game is as generic and mediocre as they come, and in many areas taking a back step for mmo's.

But hey, that's my opinon, you're all welcome to yours.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by forty4plus2

A couple of things:

The reason there isn't a Day/night cycle is because of the artistic direction.  The wanted each world to have a certain look and feel to them and also as a sort of allegory to the fall and rise of the empire (night and dusk) and republic (daytime and morning). 

Also, the reason there isn't "non-humanlike" races is because Bioware wanted playable characters that are relatable. And if you look at the Star Wars universe there aren't many main characters who are non-human.

But, everything else the OP has stated are not gamebreakers for me.  Most of it will likely be expanded upon after release. At least I hope ;-)

You believe that do you?  it's called marketing B.S. my friend.  Let me decipher:

1.  No day / night cycles - They didn't want to put the time and money into developing this.   There is even an interview somewhere with a dev who confirmed it was due to time / money issues. 

2.  No races besides human races - They only had to make 1 type of armor model that would work for every race this way, greatly cutting down on time / cost.

Bottom line - don't believe everything you're told, especially when it's in THEIR best interest to lie to you about it.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by stealthbr

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

1. Character creation - (lack of options in key areas like body and face type)

Espescially the body types/size could/should be improved

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

Valid point, tough only a minor inconcenience for most

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

I happen to like the space minigame for what it is, a min game

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

9. Very slow travel speed.

Which is good as it makes the world feel bigger, and when i was in the millitary i could not run that fast with all my gear on my back.

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

11. Graphics, especially in environments.

I like their graphics style, its build to last.

12. Cannot custom UI

This really is a major Issue, they are going to improve that after release.

13.  Extremely primitive guild features.

Not a point of my concern, as these are things that can and will be easilly improved after release

14.  No chat bubbles (to help with cross-faction chat)

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

Valid point, but who cares if its not possible to swim.

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

²

"only a minor inconvenience for most"

So lets add it all up shall we  only a minor inconvenience for most x 6 + but who cares if its not possible + Not a point of my concern a min game = it sucks

I didnt pre order and im not in beta.......thanks for the info, no go mojo here!

Who wants to be "Not buy this game" and sit with me and point and laugh at those who do

"Their is a sucker born every min"

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

A couple of things:

The reason there isn't a Day/night cycle is because of the artistic direction.  The wanted each world to have a certain look and feel to them and also as a sort of allegory to the fall and rise of the empire (night and dusk) and republic (daytime and morning). 

Also, the reason there isn't "non-humanlike" races is because Bioware wanted playable characters that are relatable. And if you look at the Star Wars universe there aren't many main characters who are non-human.

But, everything else the OP has stated are not gamebreakers for me.  Most of it will likely be expanded upon after release. At least I hope ;-)

You believe that do you?  it's called marketing B.S. my friend.  Let me decipher:

1.  No day / night cycles - They didn't want to put the time and money into developing this.   There is even an interview somewhere with a dev who confirmed it was due to time / money issues. 

2.  No races besides human races - They only had to make 1 type of armor model that would work for every race this way, greatly cutting down on time / cost.

Bottom line - don't believe everything you're told, especially when it's in THEIR best interest to lie to you about it.

Tighten that tinfoil hat a bit, man.

There are quite extensive interviews explaining the lack of day/night cycles, and the desire to have a particular mood set by static lighting.

Conspiracy theorists make me laugh my ass off.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

A couple of things:

Tighten that tinfoil hat a bit, man.

There are quite extensive interviews explaining the lack of day/night cycles, and the desire to have a particular mood set by static lighting.

Conspiracy theorists make me laugh my ass off.

The world does not work on goodness.....this is how it works......Saving money is money made.

Rule #1 Does a particular action make money? Yes or No?

Rule #2 If your not doing that action now, then whats in the way? No excuses no exceptions; unless Rule #3 applies

Rule #3 Remove whats in the way as long as the cost to does not exceeds the profit with risk factored in....

Thats all their is to it.......the world in a nutshell

Everything outside of those 3 rules is what an excuse is.........integrity to a business is relative, and if integrity is really relative, then its does not exist

A Business will poison your local water table with lead for your kids to drink if they can get away with it, and a few dollars in PR to mask it, if it fits rule #3 (Bless BP, they are so good, gosh)

Its not a Conspiracy, its business, and business is an easily predicatble mindless machine/animal, it does what it does, no more no less......I call it a free market response when consumers refuse buy garbage and communicate it.....

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

This game is LIKE WoW, not WoW. Tbh its much worse. Wow gave us some good years before we get bored and sick. This one gives us nothing. At least nothing new that justifies that is a 2012 game. A long waited game, a 500 million one…I don’t care about lore, at least so much that I can bypass the weaknesses SWTOR have. Everything except lore is a dejavu from the past. It brings absolutely nothing new to mmo genre. Maybe to SW fans, but sure not to mmo genre in any way.

Take RIFT as example. Maybe it will never be a bank breaker mmo, but they tried to bring some new things. At least we must admit they tried. They introduced Rifts, an excellent talent and class system and a dynamic world (not fully but at least dynamic). Also the pace of their updates and patches was great. I played it about 6 months, then I got bored. It wasn’t the one for me, but I admit as long as I played it I enjoyed it.

Anyway, there will be many that will love or hate SWTOR. The point is that it doesn’t  gives you the feeling that is something really new, that is a game it has to offer both to genre and players new things.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by manolaren

This game is LIKE WoW, not WoW. Tbh its much worse. Wow gave us some good years before we get bored and sick. This one gives us nothing. At least nothing new that justifies that is a 2012 game. A long waited game, a 500 million one…I don’t care about lore, at least so much that I can bypass the weaknesses SWTOR have. Everything except lore is a dejavu from the past. It brings absolutely nothing new to mmo genre. Maybe to SW fans, but sure not to mmo genre in any way.

Take RIFT as example. Maybe it will never be a bank breaker mmo, but they tried to bring some new things. At least we must admit they tried. They introduced Rifts, an excellent talent and class system and a dynamic world (not fully but at least dynamic). Also the pace of their updates and patches was great. I played it about 6 months, then I got bored. It wasn’t the one for me, but I admit as long as I played it I enjoyed it.

Anyway, there will be many that will love or hate SWTOR. The point is that it doesn’t  gives you the feeling that is something really new, that is a game it has to offer both to genre and players new things.

No offense, pal.

I think you went in expecting something totally different than advertised. Not once have they gloated over anything being new, save for the fact it is fully voiced; in fact, they've actually states numerous times during development that they're proud of the tried-and-true formula.

You're right though, many will love and some will hate. Time will tell how successful the game will be - and fortunately, we don't have much longer to wait for an actual release! Launch days are important, you know.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by manolaren

Rift gave us absolutely nothing that you can't find in WoW.  The rifts/invasions are stupid distractions that no one does anymore, and the soul system consists of little else than expanded talent trees.  You go from tiny camp to tiny camp clicking every NPC in the area, getting the quests, completing them, turning them in, getting more quests, and then getting a ques tto go to the next tiny camp.  Nearly every quest is generic and unoriginal, requiring you to either kill x of y or collect x of y.  The "events" that go on in the game usually consist of a camp of NPCs that are always located in the exact same generic location who shove out generic dailies to turn in for currency to buy some decent gear and fluff items.  Endgame is run instances (none of which are all that impressive) until your eyes bleed and then raid. 

SW:TOR takes everything that was in WoW and wraps a story around it.  Even the classic kill x of y quests usually have some sort of a story that causes you, the player, to have a greater attachment to the mission than you ordinarily would have.  Quest chains often function as self contained stories that sometimes include a nice bit of lore behind them including many quests involving KOTOR references on Taris and the Revanite quest series on Dromund Kaas.  Even progression doesn't feel so railroaded.  You aren't forced to do "every" quest in an area in order to move on.  You do the main story and pick up side quests when you need more XP or items.  The quest NPCs aren't all standing right next to each other as if their entire purpose is to hand you experience.  They are actually spread out within a camp or a city, and you actually have to be on the lookout for quests otherwise you may miss some.  SW:TOR is a traditional MMORPG in the sense that you move from quest hub to quest hub in a linear path, but you can't say that BioWare didn't put their own spin on the formula.  I don't feel I'm playing a direct copy of WoW when I play Rift, rather I feel as if I'm playing a game that was inspired by it, and that's the key difference between the twog ames.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by SuperXero89

SW:TOR takes everything that was in WoW and wraps a story around it.  Even the classic kill x of y quests usually have some sort of a story that causes you, the player, to have a greater attachment to the mission than you ordinarily would have.  Quest chains often function as self contained stories that sometimes include a nice bit of lore behind them including many quests involving KOTOR references on Taris and the Revanite quest series on Dromund Kaas.  Even progression doesn't feel so railroaded.  You aren't forced to do "every" quest in an area in order to move on.  You do the main story and pick up side quests when you need more XP or items.  The quest NPCs aren't all standing right next to each other as if their entire purpose is to hand you experience.  They are actually spread out within a camp or a city, and you actually have to be on the lookout for quests otherwise you may miss some.  SW:TOR is a traditional MMORPG in the sense that you move from quest hub to quest hub in a linear path, but you can't say that BioWare didn't put their own spin on the formula.  I don't feel I'm playing a direct copy of WoW when I play Rift, rather I feel as if I'm playing a game that was inspired by it, and that's the key difference between the twog ames.

I agree with this; in fact, I never actually took notice that the aforementioned bonus quests weren't mandatory! By choice, just because I was interested in the story and in some way compelled, did I do every mission available. SWTOR has a nice way of making most trivial things seem - at the very least - in some way, shape, or form related to the overall story. All quests are designed to have meaning to your current, main objective - and they succeed for the most part. 

Nobody is saying SWTOR reinvented the wheel, but, like SuperXero89 said, they took a proven methology and put their own, unique spin on it. 

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by scotty899

this just in 'ITS FREE A BETA' andit aint gona make everyone happy.

If you are just gona cry, why dont you post it in the swotr forum so somthing can be elaborated on and maybe fixed/changed.

1.  It launches way to soon for dramatic changes to be made.  If you think otherwise, you are living in a dream world.

2.  This is EA.  Likely these issues that everyone keeps bringing up have been brought up thousands of times during the beta.  They don't care about what makes a good game.  They care about what will yield them the most profit the quickest.  Look at EA's MMO history and you will quickly realize (if you use any form of logic) that without any encouragement from anyone else, you should stay far far away from any EA MMO.  Likely your response will be "it's Bioware not EA".  Hey sony was just publishing Vaguard and pirates of the burning sea....right....  Activision has a cash cow to milk for pennies.  EA wants theirs, mark my words and basically any business mans words on that.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm not buying SW:TOR at launch, but damn the complaints in this thread are ridiculous.  Sounds like a bunch of disgruntled sandbox players to me.