Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: It's not you, It's me.

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

After "testing" SWTOR for a while i've come to the conclusion that there is simply nothing wrong with SWTOR.

Graphics and sound are good, combat holds together well, voice acting is well done, UI is functional, classes are well put together.

So i've come to the conclusion that it's not SWTORs fault that I can't get into the game, it's mine.

I find myself struggling to get through the dialog, I simply have no motivation at all to do anything in SWTOR.

Maybe the interest of a classic mmo was ripped from me in RIFT (a game thats virtually the same bar setting).

Maybe the single player games I've played this fall make SWTOR seem pale in comparison.

I don't know but i do know its not SWTORs/Biowares fault.

Its all me.

With that said I recommend the game to anyone that wants a traditional style mmorpg with a bunch of spoken dialog.

For anyone else it's probably a pass.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Z3R01

With that said I recommend the game to anyone that wants a traditional style mmorpg with a bunch of spoken dialog.

This pretty much says it. it's a tradtional mmo with a story layer.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

After "testing" SWTOR for a while i've come to the conclusion that there is simply nothing wrong with SWTOR.

Graphics and sound are good, combat holds together well, voice acting is well done, UI is functional, classes are well put together.

So i've come to the conclusion that it's not SWTORs fault that I can't get into the game, it's mine.

I find myself struggling to get through the dialog, I simply have no motivation at all to do anything in SWTOR.

Maybe the interest of a classic mmo was ripped from me in RIFT (a game thats virtually the same bar setting).

Maybe the single player games I've played this fall make SWTOR seem pale in comparison.

Its all me.

Very well said.   image

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

I agree. The game seems like it should be fun and it's well made to be sure, but I just can't get into it. I enjoyed the voice overs for a day or two, after that they became tedious. Just tell me what to do and shut up with your bad accents and one sided characters. It's like a shiny new coat of paint on the same car you've been driving for years. Sure, it's pretty and you're happy for a while because it looks new, but then the shine fades and it's just the same old piece of crap you've been driving back and forth to the grocery store for 9 years.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

its gonna get boring sooo fast. VOs are not gonna prevent that.

GW2 is the only hope left for the non mediocre mmo we have left image

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I agree. It is a very good traditiona mmo. But like I said in another thread, I'm done with these type of mmos. I want something new, I've already played this game for a better part of a decade.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The game will do very well, many will love it and I personally enjoyed a fair bit of my time over the last few weeks in beta. But it's not for me, if anything it just proved that even the best themeparks cannot hold a candle to the feel a good sanbox game gives in my opinion.... although I will gill GW2 a go.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Agreed. Sort of what i thought it was going to be before playing it.

I will probably purchase it because theres nothing else out that i want to play, but i don't see myself being subbed to it for very long. If the endgame can grab me, I'd of course reconsider, but nothing really points in that direction.

• SonictempalSonictempal Member Posts: 55

Its all me.

Well said and appreciated....

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Originally posted by Sonictempal

Its all me.

Well said and appreciated....

Great post,  and I feel the same way

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I agree, it seems like a good MMO, it just doesn't impress me enough. I expected a lot more from a game in a SW setting, but it decided to stick to very traditional themepark gameplay, which didn't impress me enough.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Interesting. Even more interesting is some people have this opinion, but they are going to buy it anyway.

Can't you just pick up an F2P or something to tide you over, instead of spending 60+15+15+15 =$105 for a game that you really don't want?

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

You're very diplomatic today!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yeh, most of the people that are burnt out on the current crop of MMOs won't be blown away by SWTOR and like you stated, I too think the game is very good and will have success but it isn't for me. Was kind of bummed too since I was really hoping to play a MMO soon but enough good sinlge player games out right now to fill the void. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Nice honest post but you forgot the line....

"This is not the MMO you are looking for"

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

yea i feel the same, i recommend it to anybody who loves bioware games, star wars, traditional mmo controls, story in their MMOs and can deal with EA, but im gonna have to pass.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

Nice post and I feel bascially the same way, nothing wrong with the game I'm just not that into it.  Rift was the same

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Guys stop being so diplomatic, what was acceptable 3 years ago it's not today. We have to stop accepting more WOW clones, even if they are wrapped in a story.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yup, it's not you it's me..... i'm just not that into you anymore.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by bansan

Interesting. Even more interesting is some people have this opinion, but they are going to buy it anyway.

Can't you just pick up an F2P or something to tide you over, instead of spending 60+15+15+15 =$105 for a game that you really don't want?

I was one who said they would pick it up, and i'll play through the story once, with a few friends that are going to get it. None of us have played an MMO since we purchased War some time ago. It will give me something to do for awhile, television is starting to get to me :p

F2P impresses me even less, and is really not an option.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Metentso
    Guys stop being so diplomatic, what was acceptable 3 years ago it's not today. We have to stop accepting more WOW clones, even if they are wrapped in a story.

I think people should make whatever game they have a market for and leave it up to people if they want to play it.

If people want to play a wow clone wrapped in star wars with a bastard filled EA centre, let them play and enjoy it.

I personally prefere touching myself white looking at Planetside 2 screen shots rather than playing SWTOR.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I can't speak for anyone else.

But for me, I'm not accepting anything. 

I tried the game out, Decided it wasnt my deal and I'm moving on.

There's simply too much competition in gaming across all of its sub-genres to suffer through games I don't enjoy.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Yeah,Im struggling to get into it myself..

Ive always loved Bioware's signature dialogue,and it still sucks me in with this game..

Then,it spits me out into your usual suspect MMO world of today,which to me gets kinda boring quickly.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I've played the game for two days and had blast (fun), should I cancel my preorder just because you dont like this game and would like for some bizarre reason to everyone else pass on it too? Perhaps you should try to focus more on things you like, and stop crawling in stuff you dont like. I dont like driving games, I dont buy them, I dont talk about them. Try to do the same here and you'll notice you loose completely useless load from your back :)

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

unfortunately there are 800k (probably over that by now) that apparently like generic WoW clones. only thing those of us who are tired of Attack of the Clones is hope one day that a major company will have the ba**s to try something different.

Save us Anet you're our only hope.

until that day ill keep playing Skyrim and Minecraft.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Its all me.

I think I'd have to say this as well. Nothing's really wrong with it and it's just probably us being jerks about it.