Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Long live the MMORPG -

EEL85EEL85 dallas, TXPosts: 34Member

For the past few years and especially the past 2 years, I have been observing a lot of bashing on AOC, Rift, now SWTOR, and soon GW2 (just a crazy prediction) to name a few. The classic statement I see today is something like “I have played since the mid 90’s, been in 10 + mmos, and today’s games just don’t compare.” And then can you guess it? “Cancelling pre-order.”


 


So this has perplexed me. It seems no matter how polished, graphically superior, etc… a game is, it is never good enough. Based on many post these past few years, one might of assumed mmorpg game producers were blinded by greed, arrogance or just plan incompetent and that the mmorpg world was quickly falling apart.  However, this doesn’t completely hold water, as every company from day one has been in the business to make some money, tries to listen somewhat to the game base for direction instead of being cavaliers (except for SWG), and let’s be honest, most gaming companies do have a competent staff.


 


After looking more closely at this, it has become apparent that many of these “experienced” gamers are suffering from the good ole day syndrome, where everything today, because it is different, is automatically worse. Like old men and/or women talking about how the world is falling apart and things aren’t like they used to be (they are right, things change over time and are different). In reality, things today are no better or worse, just different. So one has the option to both embrace today and make new memories, or live in the past. If embracing the mmorpg of today is not tolerable, as they are inferior to previous games (by the way, if the games of the past are so good, why are you not playing those still up and running?), it may be time to find a new hobby for these experienced gamers living in the past, as no new game will ever meet their expectations.


 


On a different note, I can say that there are new players coming into the mmorpg world every day, just like experienced gamers that started 10+ years ago, that are playing their first mmorpgs. So taking a little different stance than some, the mmorpg future is actually very bright and I, even being a gamer since the 90’s, is once again embracing the present and setting out on creating new memories with new and yes, different games.


 


Long live the MMORPG.

Comments

  • XforsakerXXforsakerX Winona, TXPosts: 124Member

    Well said

     

    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    6142MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
    Antec Gaming Phenom
    Windows Vista™ Home Premium

  • june32ndjune32nd Monroe twp, NJPosts: 122Member

    Originally posted by EEL85                                                                                                                                                                 (by the way, if the games of the past are so good, why are you not playing those still up and running?)

    good point.

     

    mmorpgs today are better then those of the past wit their lack of a harsh death penalty. long Qs. and stuff like leveling/skill curves.  how anyone found losing their stuff or xp and sitting in a waiting line for hours or spending months of time to get raiding gear or top level anything thrilling and fun seems to be those who enjoy the  DMV, long lines, and tedious paperwork.

     

    MMORPGs have done what they have always done, take what works and make it perfect. The mentality in mmorpgs are different then the past though.

     

    lastly the future of mmorpgs are very bright as more and more games have the ability to go online and play with others. soon all games will be some what of an MMO. and i'm so down with that.

    image

  • WarmakerWarmaker San Diego, CAPosts: 2,231Member

    We can, and have gone tit for tat on the merits and demerits of MMORPG gaming over the course of its history.  I won't post my usual Wall Of Text because "The Pub" subforum on this site more than shows the threads about the state of the genre.  More than enough times us disgruntled, longtime players of the genre (or for me, a former player) have showed point for point exactly why this genre, to us, is mediocre.

    There is no denying the genre makes more money now than what was even dreamed of when UO and EQ came out.  The sheer mangitude of MMORPGs is staggering.  Yet for all these numbers, all these $$$, IMO, the genre is rotten at its core.  Again, check the forums if you want a point for point recap as to why us digruntled people don't like the state of the genre.

    If you honestly thought it was all due to nostalgia or something like that, you never bothered reading anything.

    Read up.

    {mod edit}

    "I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

  • jurupajurupa OC, CAPosts: 16Member

    While there are problems with the industry, a lot of the problems are the player based or more the market issue of that you can't please everyone. Just look at what things people are bashing SWTOR on.  

  • QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common

    Originally posted by Warmaker

    We can, and have gone tit for tat on the merits and demerits of MMORPG gaming over the course of its history.  I won't post my usual Wall Of Text because "The Pub" subforum on this site more than shows the threads about the state of the genre.  More than enough times us disgruntled, longtime players of the genre (or for me, a former player) have showed point for point exactly why this genre, to us, is mediocre.

    There is no denying the genre makes more money now than what was even dreamed of when UO and EQ came out.  The sheer mangitude of MMORPGs is staggering.  Yet for all these numbers, all these $$$, IMO, the genre is rotten at its core.  Again, check the forums if you want a point for point recap as to why us digruntled people don't like the state of the genre.

    If you honestly thought it was all due to nostalgia or something like that, you never bothered reading anything.

    Read up.

    {mod edit}

    I've read all the complaints and agree - It is nostalgia. It really is.

    I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    Originally posted by EEL85


     


     


    So this has perplexed me. It seems no matter how polished, graphically superior, etc… a game is, it is never good enough.

    Cause graphic while important is NOT what's most important in mmorpg? Cause polish is important as well, but if game has bad or / and insufficiant features polishing them won't change that they are bad or insufficient.

    You kinda miss the point.

  • MetentsoMetentso BarcelonaPosts: 1,436Member Common

    Originally posted by EEL85


     


     


    So this has perplexed me. It seems no matter how polished, graphically superior, etc… a game is, it is never good enough.

    I like this phrase :)

     

Sign In or Register to comment.