Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which part of scripted Skyrim content did you like most? (poll)

DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

107 hours in at the moment and on my second character. Can't say I saw much of the main story (I always avoid that because I don't like being the "chosen one" / "hero of the friggin' universe") but I did the Thieves and DB lines and started on the Stormcloak one.

Yet it strikes me as odd that all the side quests are the most surprising, inspired and entertaining ones in my opinion: there seem to be much more of those and they are more fleshed out compared to Oblivion. Though the Dark Brotherhood one was also very entertaining towards the end.

So what bit of "pre-made" content did you like best so far?

Comments

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Hangover!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Mage so far is not bad the companions im not impressed with.

I was impressed with the quest line Forbidden Legend specially the last boss fight was great and quest line. Master difficulty btw.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by DarkPony

107 hours in at the moment and on my second character. Can't say I saw much of the main story (I always avoid that because I don't like being the "chosen one" / "hero of the friggin' universe") but I did the Thieves and DB lines and started on the Stormcloak one.

Yet it strikes me as odd that all the side quests are the most surprising, inspired and entertaining ones in my opinion: there seem to be much more of those and they are more fleshed out compared to Oblivion. Though the Dark Brotherhood one was also very entertaining towards the end.

So what bit of "pre-made" content did you like best so far?

I'm not sure yet. I'm level 46 or so and I've only done the mage's guild part. I've done the Bard's college quests but I'm not sure if there are more. It feels a bit short. Haven't really started the main quest other than getting myself to the first dragon kill.

I've wiped out the Dark Brotherhood and if at all possible I'll wipe out the thieves' guild.

Hate those Thieves' guild punks!

So far I've loved both mage's and Bard's.

I've stopped at the companions because I don't want to be a werewolf.

edit: I've voted sidequests. I found a really cool questline by just reading a book!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

102 hrs in and I have two characters, one is a rangerish type, the other is a straight up mage.   I really haven't found a favorite "scripted" yet, but I must say I love playing a mage in this game.   The mage college main quest will test you to the limit if you go straight up mage - no weapons, no armor.   I was seriously impressed with the way Labarynthian was done.    That was epic.    Not going to go into details - because I do not wish to give away spoilers - but - if you are going as a mage with no armor(and my character was level 14 when she started Labarynthian and after a couple  treks between it and the nearest village for supplies she made level 18!) you'll need to be extremely careful(unless of course you wait and do this when you are much higher level).  I took my time on this since I am playing using "Caiden's Challenge" rules.    Makes it much more challenging.   :)

So much was crammed into this one game, I'll be playing it for a very long, long time.   Add to that the player made content that will be coming out in the future and Bethesda content - I may never play any other game for a very, very long time(besidesWoW from time to time).  

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Teala

Add to that the player made content that will be coming out in the future and Bethesda content - I may never play any other game for a very, very long time(besidesWoW from time to time).  

I know what you mean. Can't wait for the creation kit, tbh.

Player made content made Oblivion's 8 into a 9,5, (at the time and in my opinion). Considering Skyrim is already so much better in all regards, I expect it will be off the charts. Really dying for some player made body, clothing, housing, backpack, balance, campfire, companion, Bard, UI and other mods :)

Just hope this engine will take kindly to using many player mods.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I love everything in the game. I love the main quest, the mages guild, companions and the side quests. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Teala

102 hrs in and I have two characters, one is a rangerish type, the other is a straight up mage.   I really haven't found a favorite "scripted" yet, but I must say I love playing a mage in this game.   The mage college main quest will test you to the limit if you go straight up mage - no weapons, no armor.   I was seriously impressed with the way Labarynthian was done.    That was epic.    Not going to go into details - because I do not wish to give away spoilers - but - if you are going as a mage with no armor(and my character was level 14 when she started Labarynthian and after a couple  treks between it and the nearest village for supplies she made level 18!) you'll need to be extremely careful(unless of course you wait and do this when you are much higher level).  I took my time on this since I am playing using "Caiden's Challenge" rules.    Makes it much more challenging.   :)

So much was crammed into this one game, I'll be playing it for a very long, long time.   Add to that the player made content that will be coming out in the future and Bethesda content - I may never play any other game for a very, very long time(besidesWoW from time to time).  

Yeah, I'm 100 hours in and I keep telling myself "ok, one more thing, one more thing". Then I started another character but I feel like the two characters will just suck all my time.

Labyrinthian was great.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by forest-nl

Mage so far is not bad the companions im not impressed with.

I was impressed with the quest line Forbidden Legend specially the last boss fight was great and quest line. Master difficulty btw.

That's the one you get from the book right?

Goes to show us that we should always read the books. Loved the last fight there.

Originally posted by Sovrath

edit: I've voted sidequests. I found a really cool questline by just reading a book!

Aye, did a couple of those. Awesome stuff. If a book has any instance of the word "Legend", you better take notice.

p.s. Unrelated non-spoiling tip: I found a shack out in the wilds (a farmhouse with a dead owner called "Lund's Farm") and the containers weren't owned (No red "steal from chest / drawer / sack" notifications).

I tested them extensively by waiting some 15 ingame days and after that I've used them for around 20 levels without loot disappearing. So I'm a happy farm squatter. Pretty neat that you don't have to live in a city if you don't want to.

Not sure about other shack-icon locations with unowned containers though, but chances are they are safe.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Lol scripted.......HAHAHA.......

My friend I havnt even went to the Graymanes yet.  I am an adventurer and am sitting at level 31 currently.  Other then the Companion quests t obecome a Werewold I have been doing no quests what soe ever and am having a blast.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Aye, did a couple of those. Awesome stuff. If a book has any instance of the word "Legend", you better take notice.

p.s. Unrelated non-spoiling tip: I found a shack out in the wilds (a farmhouse with a dead owner called "Lund's Farm") and the containers weren't owned (No red "steal from chest / drawer / sack" notifications).

I tested them extensively by waiting some 15 ingame days and after that I've used them for around 20 levels without loot disappearing. So I'm a happy farm squatter. Pretty neat that you don't have to live in a city if you don't want to.

Not sure about other shack-icon locations with unowned containers though, but chances are they are safe.

I know the abandoned shack where the leader of the Dark Brotherhood try to recruit you can be used. I don't take advantage of the storage  because i left her headless corpse there...eewwww.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Lol scripted.......HAHAHA.......

If I had added "free-roaming" as a poll option, noone would have voted for any of the story lines /side quests.

Naturaly free roaming is the main strength of the game but this poll isn't about that.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

everything about the mages guild storyline was amazing and I LOVE my own personal garden =D

Yes I'm a girl >.<

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I havent seen much of the main storyline yet and only saw some of the Companions (Spoiler ahead : I stopped before becoming a wherewolf, because I dont want to be one :p )

I tend to wander off the main path to find settlements, dungeons etc. I really like the dungeons in this game. I thought they were quite bland in Morrowind and Oblivion and one of the weaker points in those games (I preferred the storylines in those games). But I cant get enough of discovering landmarks in Skyrim :)

I also love how they made the dragons. They might be easy fights a lot of the times, but the way they surprise you is great. You see a large shadow on the ground and then that scream lol. Fun if you just attacked some stronghold with bandits :p

And I keep making screenshots, the environment is beautifull. The weather and night also looks great. Not something I usually take screenshots from.

The only minor point for me is the dialogue selection window. I cant make it work right somehow. I keep using the wrong sentences sometimes. Even though the one I wanted was highlighted.

Oh almost forgot : Combat. Simple but very effective and very nice finishers. Different weapon types actually ask for different tactics. Even between melee weapons.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I'm still waiting for a patch update from Bethesda for my xbox 360. My companions storyline is bugged . Kodlaks been dead on the floor for probably a game month but Viklas or whatever his name is doesnt offer the quest still..

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

So far I've enjoyed the Imperials questline the most, which isn't on the list (not sure why, since their counterparts, the Stormcloaks, are.)  

I've heard the Thieves Guild is really awesome, but it's one of the few I haven't done yet.  

My least favorite is easily the Mage College questline.  There were so many unrealistic jumps in the plot that I actually burst out laughing a few times.  

**SPOILER** So I'm delving through the depths of ancient dwarven ruins a few hundred miles from the college, helping this mage from Cyrodiil reactivate an ancient magical planetarium of sort..  It malfunctions.  The mage is all like, "What have you done???  You must have a powerful artifact at your college interfering with this!  I knew it!"  I stress again, we are a couple hundred miles away from the college.  (Ok, while I don't know exactly how distance is measured in the land of Skyrim, we are very very far, as in, nowhere near the college.) This is obviously the only conclusion this NPC can make.  Conversation carries on as if this supposition is now obvious fact.  

Similar leaps occured 3 or 4 more times throughout the chain.  All the eventual conclusions and results were plausible, but as far as logical storytelling goes, several more events and dialogue chains need to be inserted to get the story there.  Also, in no other single chain has Skyrim's slight lack of dialogue options (compared to other recent great RPGs) been more apparent.  

My Dark Brotherhood questline was cut short because I killed their leader when she kidnapped me.  Her 3 hostages weren't even grateful as they tried to kill me too :(  A quest did open up to infiltrate the brotherhood's base and kill more of them, but I think that was it.  I'll have to play a darker character next time and do this chain.  

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

The main quest seam interesting enough, i don't know how far i'm in it but at least i understand the line of it now and need to position my character. But i'll reroll a mage for now and look at this next.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

I am probably one of the few who, in the end, didn't like Skyrim all that much. Free roaming is indeed great, and some of the quests in towns are pretty excellent - investigation quests, etc. Not all of them. FedEx and "go kill that bandit Nr. 234" were killing me. Pretty amazing quest I've stumbled upon in Labirintius - with masks.

But the main line was just pushing me away from any immersion :(. Guild of warriors was a bunch of ...holes. I wanted to kill them all, and certainly NOT do any of their quests. Thieves guild is a bunch of whining ... working for extremely unlikable ... Couldn't do their line either. I don't like assasins. Daedric quests were soooo alien to me they couldn't possibly motivate me to do anything. Go find azura star because it's your destiny or whatever? I'd rather go yawn a bit more.

Oh, and Nords! It seems like I hate Nords. Can't think of worse band of rednecks! Imperials ain't much better - the plague! The plague on both your houses! I just couldn't decide if I hate Nords enough to join the imperial side and start a bit of ethnic cleansing.

I've found out that I don't like dungeons. Don't like clearing them. Don't like killing bandits. That I hate snow! I mean, there is white soulcrushing snow right now behind my window and there is white soulcrushing snow behind the screen and after a while you just want to kill yourself.

Leveling smithing and enchanting is monotonous, uninspiring and very-very fast. Stealing is like taking a candy from a baby who hates candy. There are some other girevances... But the short story is:

Oblivion had a lot of problems, and I've enjoyed it greatly, despite its moronic leveling and some other stuff. Skyrim is so much better than it, or should be... And I've uninstalled it to never install again.

Originally posted by Homitu

So far I've enjoyed the Imperials questline the most, which isn't on the list (not sure why, since their counterparts, the Stormcloaks, are.)

Oops ... I learned something today. Thanks. :) I looked up the faction storylines at the UESP wiki list but I suppose their list wasn't complete yet.

Skyrim's slight lack of dialogue options (compared to other recent great RPGs)

Yup, that aspect could be very much improved. Fall Out New Vegas, for example, had much less content but more alternative and diverging outcomes and choice in conversations.

Two other things that I wish they'd incorporate into Skyrim would be:

- Wearing faction armor prompting that faction's enemies to attack you (i.e. Running around in Stormcloak armor in Solitude should be a bad idea).

- A "survival" mode with eat, drink and sleep requirements.

Even little side quest can be tough.

Some SPOILERS:

I just did a quest where i had to investigate the Shearpoint about some strong power .

Had to attack a Dragon wanne pick some quest item when i killed the Dragon, then suddenly a even stronger undead mob came alive Krosis, man he was tough his attacks where alot stronger then Dragon ones i needed to stand between some rocks where he could not reach me (AI sucks) took a while before he died, this was on lvl22 btw master difficulty. You get a nice reward Krosis mask btw.

So the little nice quests also worth doing for sure:)

Originally posted by Homitu

Oops ... I learned something today. Thanks. :) I looked up the faction storylines at the UESP wiki list but I suppose their list wasn't complete yet.

Skyrim's slight lack of dialogue options (compared to other recent great RPGs)

Yup, that aspect could be very much improved. Fall Out New Vegas, for example, had much less content but more alternative and diverging outcomes and choice in conversations.

Two other things that I wish they'd incorporate into Skyrim would be:

- Wearing faction armor prompting that faction's enemies to attack you (i.e. Running around in Stormcloak armor in Solitude should be a bad idea).

- A "survival" mode with eat, drink and sleep requirements.

I kind of agree with this.

Funny enough, my roommate who is not a gamer but who did enjoy morrowind and oblvion really believes in this stuff. He has even brought up the idea that he wishes one had to hunt and make/eat food.

I called him a closet sandbox gamer to which he asked "what's that"?

After I told him I could sort of see him nod and smile...

By the way, did anyone find "the house" in Markarth... image

It's starting to become one of my favorite little bits.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I haven't seen them all yet, but the Dark Brotherhood was pretty good and threw a few diverse ones in there.  Some ruthless stuff, too.

DB has usually been a good staple for nice quests in TES, at least since Oblivion.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I grabbed the game a bit later than most, but I am 70 hours in at the moment and really enjoyed the dark brotherhood line, as well as the thieves line.

The game, as a whole, has been entertaining me far beyond my expectations.

By the way, did anyone find "the house" in Markarth... image

It's starting to become one of my favorite little bits.

Yeah, nice one, that :)

P.s. On the Thieves Guild: I really like Delkin; easily my most favorite NPC. There should be more English acents like that in games.

Just done site quest Evil Waiting with end boss Hevnoraak so far thoughest boss.

But killed him becouse of terible AI again:(