Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed in SWTOR? Let's talk about why.

Comments

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by I_Return

OP, theose are minor things compared to the scope of the entire game. This game is an entirely new genre of  mmo.

First, I'll say that I've bought the game and plan on playing it, just so you don't take this the wrong way.

*ehem* How exactly is this game an entirely new genre?

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by Margulis

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

1. Character creation - (lack of options in key areas like body and face type)

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

9. Very slow travel speed.

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

11. Graphics, especially in environments.

12. Cannot custom UI

13.  Extremely primitive guild features.

14.  No chat bubbles (to help with cross-faction chat)

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

As a side note, what was your motivation for posting the same topic on two different forums:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=660979

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I'm very disappointed in TOR.  Some people want to know well WHY! are you disappointed?!  Well, for me, here's why....

2. No completed quest log - (If we are playing many alts, would like to refresh on a toon's story by looking at recent completed quests.)

3. Social hubs / cities feel lifeless - (no npc interaction except with quest givers, very quiet, almost no ambient npc conversation or sound. Most npc's are just locked in one spot / position for infinity. Try walking through the Jedi Temple or Coruscant, feels like a graveyard or library)

4. World is lifeless - (no critters, birds, nothing. There are a few non aggro mobs or beasts, but they just stay locked in 1 spot pretty much)

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

8. Races available to choose from - (all human races disappointing - was hoping to play a Rodian or Ithorian)

10. Racial abilities are not only worthless, but just plain dumb (most of them anyway)

12. Cannot custom UI

15.  Water is terrible, pan the camera from underneath and you can see it's just a blue texture placed on top of an empty hole that you run through

That's what I can think of for right now.  I will say I love the story and voice acting - but it seems they pumped 80% of their money into that and the GAME is somewhat of an afterthought.  It's not bad, but for the money and hype put into it - for me it falls pretty flat.

As a side note, what was your motivation for posting the same topic on two different forums:

I was thinking the exact same thing after just visiting the official forums lol. Some people have nothing better to do.

There Is Always Hope!

• forty4plus2forty4plus2 Member Posts: 69

Nice....I imagine everyone is just pissed there is two hours of server downtime.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Originally posted by forty4plus2

Those are reasons, but they are not exactly good reasons.  

Even some of the humanoid races puzzle me.  Cyborg?  Why is that an extra race and not just a human facial feature?  How about the Nautolan?

Yea, I'm not sure what's up with the cyborg thing.  I imagine it effects certain quests similar to how a few Pureblood quests are.

I wish they had a Nautolan, among several other definite alien looking race options. The cyborg is pretty much a joke, and its a human cyborg too, I haven't seen a Twi'lek or Zabrak with those facial metal strips on a npc (I feel like all those options look stupid, just like the majority of disguise beards). Heck, I haven't even seen anyone playing cyborg haha. Zabrak and Rattataki appear popular. I got a Chiss IA and Pureblood SA.

I feel like cyborg is an incredibly cheap cop out for an additional player choice, and I like all of the obvious aliens in Star Wars :/

Honestly though, you can't come into TOR thinking its going to be something similar to Galaxies. IMO The sandbox genre of MMORPGs is a lot like punk rock, the shit is out there, but it is so underground and obscure that it's really hit or miss *cough* Xsyon *cough*.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362

i still cant get in lol it said first i was attempting to login from a region the game is not availiable then it asked me to reset my password for a 2nd time but i needed to use the forgot password option vias email which still hasnt arrived. i'm going in with an open mind...but if its as wow is as i have heard in the first half hour i will be very turned off

so say we all

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

My biggest issue is really the No chat bubbles thing.

Mostly cos I usually never look at the chat when speaking to people who's in the same room as me, and also makes it easier for me to identify if people are actually talking to me if im not paying attention to the chat window (which I rarely do)

Originally posted by Maggon
    Mostly cos I usually never look at the chat when speaking to people who's in the same room as me, and also makes it easier for me to identify if people are actually talking to me if im not paying attention to the chat window (which I rarely do)

It would be nice to have that as an option but I only see it being beneficial on an RP server.
  • calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Can't say I found anything wrong really with SWTOR yesterday, a couple of bugs one moment of lag but damn if I didn't spend 6 hours none stop having fun:)

I am so happy and can not wait for early start!

I want this now.

• InsideBevelInsideBevel Member Posts: 33
    The biggest dissapointment for me was the bad animations and the fact that there is no collision detection.....you just run straight through people and mobs....what a joke.
    And the fact that I felt generally bored....
  • gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I love the game, but the female bodies are disspointing.

Every single model has huge knockers and a well rounded ass.

It's really weird when you talk to an old lady. Like the general lady in the Trooper saga on Coruscant. She talks like a grandma, her face looks like a grandma, but her ass looks like Beyonce's and she has huge firm knockers. It's kinda creepy and definitely ridiculous.

I like how they gave guys the fat ass option, but the female avatars are really lacking in diversity.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by forty4plus2

Originally posted by Maggon

It would be nice to have that as an option but I only see it being beneficial on an RP server.

Would be really nice to have it as an option indeed.

Though I guess I am also an RP'er by heart, but Chat bubbles are just something I in general like a lot, especially then I don't have to scroll through a ton of text in the chat window while im trying to read a message someone wrote while its being spammed due to a high populated area.

• demisedonedemisedone Member UncommonPosts: 9

1. I agree they could have made that a little more in depth

2. This is probably on the bottom of my list of concerns

3. The npc's socializing more would be cool, i've seen it a couple times in the pubs i like that idea of stories and lore being talked about and being able to stop and catch a neat story as you're passing by. Not something to dislike the game over though.

4. I dont even notice critters or anything of that sort, im just on a mission to kill stuff that gives me progress in my game life.

5. No day / night cycle <- i would think an easy thing to put into the game to make it more life like.

6. No swimming <- doesnt bother me, nice thing to be able to do though.

7. I thought there was space combat?

8. I think this fits in with #1 more cosmetic things are nice and fun

9. until you get mounts

10. They're there to be like critters not significant to the game but fun to have.

11. Graphics arent bad, could be better though because i just upgraded my computer for BF3 and would like to use it.

12. This is something i would assume they will be adding in shortly, because UI is a huge concern to a lot of peoples mmorpg game play.

13.  Pretty low on my conerns also.

14.  Didnt know there was cross faction chat

15.  This has to do with the lack of effort in graphics for #11 but they can be updated i would hope, Eve online did it.

Seems to me you look into the small details too much and not enough into the combat, pvp, and end game (i know you cant touch on end game because its not out yet) Those are my main concerns. Bugs, combat, pvp, latency, game stability, end game.

All in all, still better than WoW and a LOT of other mmorpgs out there. Going to be playing this until at least diablo 3 or TERA.

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

After actually trying the beta, my already low opinion of the game has skyrocketed.. downwards.

It is unbelievable that an AAA MMO with one if not the biggest budget of any games ever released, can be so amateurish so close to release.

Character creation is a joke for a 2011 game. Ken & Barbie doll inspired, the plastic hair makes you want to cry.

Graphics are.. well a screen is worth a thousand words:

Yes.. this is on maximum detail setting.. I couldn't believe it either. When was this game made, 2002? This level of detail would pass as lowest setting for a 2011 MMO, and considering how much was spent on this game, this is unnaceptable.

The character control animation is awful. Think something between Oblivion and Skyrim in 3rd person, and as you know none of these games put much effort into the 3PP mode. In other words its as basic as you get and little blending inbetween.

Shadows are a joke. The shadow map resolution is wayy too low (yes this is the highest shadow detail..) just look at the glaring pixels, I feel like the shadows come straight from minecraft considering how blocky they are lol.

Also consider the startling and immersion breaking contrast between decent quality and bad textures as seen on the top right pic. The stones and sand shore layer screams for paralax maping, like in Crysis, and the huge rocks really need a lot more detail.

Combat is standard to a fault. When you charge a group of enemies as a jedi, it cries for freehand swinging, but you have to often stop and retarget because you can't hit the guy in front couse your target is the guy behind him.. seriously, I'm sick of this 10 year old system.

The so often praised cinematics are choppy, editing is abrupt, and textures tend to load for a few secs after the conversation has already started, this is unnaceptable for a game of this caliber.

I'll have to give a few positives though. The mid-field reporting after a quest is neat, but already done in other games. They got decent water, and they used SpeedTree properly for a nice vegetation effect, I'll give them that. The so called story is decent, a promising addition, too bad it all boils down to the same old tasks in the end, and the individual characters have little to no personality.

All in all I'm glad I tried the beta, SWTOR has lost the race for me completely now. GW2, Archeage and TSW remain. This is not meant to be a review btw so take this as you will as a beta opinion from a disappointed SW fan. The game does not only copy WoW in everything gameplay wise, seems like it also copies its graphics, that was my initial impression upon entering the game. It will get a lot of early attention to be sure, but it's not a game worth my time.

What saddens me most is the fact that the only one other sci-fi IP worth getting a MMO treatment is also owned by Bioware.. it being Mass Effect.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by scotty899

this just in 'ITS FREE A BETA' andit aint gona make everyone happy.

If you are just gona cry, why dont you post it in the swotr forum so somthing can be elaborated on and maybe fixed/changed.

i enjoy it. nothing like WoW. no stupid panda expansion. and people who QQ for no auto hit should just stick to their one button macro mmo's

do you actually believe that when the release date is this close free open beta should be like the op explained, i have been on 50/50 boat with this game either get it or not but reasons what op says if they are trully true at this point i will defo pass this star wars game. cheerio

edit, yet everyhting ive seen is just like wow with spacesuits and yet QQ is peoples opinions. 

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

12. Cannot custom UI

Agree 100%

The game makes me feel nothing. All seems lifeless, static and sometimes dead. The open world, the cities, everything. There wasnt even a single moment that i felt something <epic> happens here. Anyway my conclusion is that the game has nothing new to offer, either to mmo genre or experienced mmo players. Its a nice game but not what will make me cancel my current mmo and play it

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Originally posted by manolaren

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

12. Cannot custom UI

Agree 100%

The game makes me feel nothing. All seems lifeless, static and sometimes dead. The open world, the cities, everything. There wasnt even a single moment that i felt something happens here. Anyway my conclusion is that the game has nothing new to offer, either to mmo genre or experienced mmo players. Its a nice game but not what will make me cancel my current mmo and play it

Poeple just keep comparing swtor with a single payer game, is a MMO ffs, what are you talking about with ¨i didnt hear the birds¨, ¨the world is dead¨. what?. I have played everything and not just wow, the inmersion in swtor is just amazing, you are playing in a world where everyone can talk, even the ¨static¨ npcs, thats what make a world feel alive and not ¨a bird singing¨. but at the end, it doesnt matter, if 100 testers love swtor and 1 hate it?, what do that mean?, swtor even in beta, is the best MMO in the market, i cant even play my old MMO anymore after tor. Is ok if you didnt like the game, but be constructive, and when you find that all the post talking about  ¨I'm very disappointed with TOR¨ come from people who can make a single constructive commentary, then you know how huge swtor will be. 

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Race selection - Very bland. So many interesting races that could have been playable.

No Add-on or Macros - I like being able to customize my UI to suit my taste. Having to click on someone if you want to heal them... IMO that should not be happening in an MMO being released in 2011.

Companions - I don't want a pet. Forcing everyone into being a pet class is not cool. Especially considering they will be allowed in world PvP.

No Dungeon Finder - Spamming LFG is something I will never do again.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by hikaru77

Originally posted by manolaren

5. No day / night cycle.

6. No swimming

7. Space combat

12. Cannot custom UI

Agree 100%

The game makes me feel nothing. All seems lifeless, static and sometimes dead. The open world, the cities, everything. There wasnt even a single moment that i felt something happens here. Anyway my conclusion is that the game has nothing new to offer, either to mmo genre or experienced mmo players. Its a nice game but not what will make me cancel my current mmo and play it

Poeple just keep comparing swtor with a single payer game, is a MMO ffs, what are you talking about with ¨i didnt hear the birds¨, ¨the world is dead¨. what?. I have played everything and not just wow, the inmersion in swtor is just amazing, you are playing in a world where everyone can talk, even the ¨static¨ npcs, thats what make a world feel alive and not ¨a bird singing¨. but at the end, it doesnt matter, if 100 testers love swtor and 1 hate it?, what do that mean?, swtor even in beta, is the best MMO in the market, i cant even play my old MMO anymore after tor. Is ok if you didnt like the game, but be constructive, and when you find that all the post talking about  ¨I'm very disappointed with TOR¨ come from people who can make a single constructive commentary, then you know how huge swtor will be. 

again this type of comment , stil in beta , even in beta , COMON guys few weeks are not gona turn the tables its gona be the same in release as its now so chose another argument please.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I  have one complaint.

The character movements are quite clunky, especially the movement ones.

Rawr.

• manolarenmanolaren Member Posts: 57

Originally posted by hikaru77

and because its an mmo it must not have really good graphics in 2012? must have a static world?  must have crap racials? must not have new guild options? must have this terrible character customization?

no sir!

many games already have them all (or many of those) and many more are coming soon. i agree its a good game but has nothing to do with the big expectations everyone had. thats at least my opinion.

and a question pls. where exactly is the point that you are constructive? by telling that even in beta its the bestt mmo in the market and you cant even play your current mmo? if thats the way you mean beeng constructive then ok :)

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Originally posted by gladosrev2

After actually trying the beta, my already low opinion of the game has skyrocketed.. downwards.

It is unbelievable that an AAA MMO with one if not the biggest budget of any games ever released, can be so amateurish so close to release.

Character creation is a joke for a 2011 game. Ken & Barbie doll inspired, the plastic hair makes you want to cry.

Graphics are.. well a screen is worth a thousand words:

Yes.. this is on maximum detail setting.. I couldn't believe it either. When was this game made, 2002? This level of detail would pass as lowest setting for a 2011 MMO, and considering how much was spent on this game, this is unnaceptable.

The character control animation is awful. Think something between Oblivion and Skyrim in 3rd person, and as you know none of these games put much effort into the 3PP mode. In other words its as basic as you get and little blending inbetween.

Shadows are a joke. The shadow map resolution is wayy too low (yes this is the highest shadow detail..) just look at the glaring pixels, I feel like the shadows come straight from minecraft considering how blocky they are lol.

Also consider the startling and immersion breaking contrast between decent quality and bad textures as seen on the top right pic. The stones and sand shore layer screams for paralax maping, like in Crysis, and the huge rocks really need a lot more detail.

Combat is standard to a fault. When you charge a group of enemies as a jedi, it cries for freehand swinging, but you have to often stop and retarget because you can't hit the guy in front couse your target is the guy behind him.. seriously, I'm sick of this 10 year old system.

The so often praised cinematics are choppy, editing is abrupt, and textures tend to load for a few secs after the conversation has already started, this is unnaceptable for a game of this caliber.

I'll have to give a few positives though. The mid-field reporting after a quest is neat, but already done in other games. They got decent water, and they used SpeedTree properly for a nice vegetation effect, I'll give them that. The so called story is decent, a promising addition, too bad it all boils down to the same old tasks in the end, and the individual characters have little to no personality.

All in all I'm glad I tried the beta, SWTOR has lost the race for me completely now. GW2, Archeage and TSW remain. This is not meant to be a review btw so take this as you will as a beta opinion from a disappointed SW fan. The game does not only copy WoW in everything gameplay wise, seems like it also copies its graphics, that was my initial impression upon entering the game. It will get a lot of early attention to be sure, but it's not a game worth my time.

What saddens me most is the fact that the only one other sci-fi IP worth getting a MMO treatment is also owned by Bioware.. it being Mass Effect.

^^^This   x10 times

I played the beta yesterday

Im tired to write how terrible this game looks so i just thump up your post.

plus

1 the ui/interface is working but is terrible blue shit all over the screen with no imagination at all.Indie games have better ui/interface and Not this mess.

2 Movement animations are terrible your character runs like someone has f him from behind,cranky and no smooth and real at all.

3 It looks like a bad copy of wow in space with no inovation.Even the jump reminds wow and it doesnt suits swtor in any way.I really hate when games dont have their own identity and they just copy paste things from other mmos.

4 Combat skills are not smooth eg the skill that u throw a rock to your enemy looks like it travels at 2 fps.Ridiculous

5 Combat wasn't so much fun with 3 classes ive played so far.

6 Game was very easy even a 6 years old kid could play it.Maybe they had their kids testing the game.From that it's clear that the main beta testers of the game were comlete garbage kid gamers.There is no reason to use some other skills i was just keep pushing 2 skills.uber fail

7 It doesnt gives you the feeling of exploration and it felt like a game on rails.

8.Character customization is awful

9 Music isnt something special.Wow has the best music  ever that drives u into the game.

10 The game feels dead in the cities.You have voice acting on quests but the city it self is speechless.Those 2 things cant be combined

11.I may find more if i keep playing this game but for now that's all and it's enough for not buying it.

In general i rate this game a complete waste of money and a journey back in 2002 with a 10% better graphics than wow.

Welcome swtor but i think u are a bit late so pls accept these bad reviews.Even "orcs must die" have better resolution textures.

I remember when Bioware were saying we are not releasing crap at gamescom.Well guess what Bio heres your second crap after dragon age 2.That's what i totaly dislike from a company fake f promises.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I would just like to reply to the "Slow Travel Speed." 

Get to level 15, you won't complain about that anymore. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com