Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] RPG of the year - Skyrim or Witcher 2

Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I had a blast playing Witcher 2 and having a great time in Skyrim. This year's rpg of the year will very hard to choose. Both games are extremely good, both have pros and cons, but one is certain: this year was an awesome year for RPG fans.

Which one do you vote for and why?

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

Witcher was cool but I have much more fun with Skyrim. And the mods.. oh how I love them.

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

skyrim, hands down....

Why?  Because I can play the way I want to.

Might be best to list the different gameplay elements of both games.... as they are vastly different!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Normaly I would vote for Skyrim. But I'm a huge PC gaming supporter and Witcher 2 as a pc exclusive really shined. Extremely high quality game in almost every way.

Skyrim on the other hand is just as high quality as witcher 2 but I just couldn't forgive bethseda studios for that ugly console UI. Hope one day there will be a mod that will completely change UI to better fit PC gamers. I wish characters were also better quality in Skyrim, but everything else, nicely done.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

modern warfare 3, i can level up my guns.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Both are very good games though diffrent.

W2 is very nice game, great story + awesome graphics and what is quite rare, but game world is shown in mature and beliveable way and not disney-like how it is in many games like DA2 or ME2.

Skyrim on the other hand is sandboxisch and that's what I look more in games, since I am bit tired and bored after playing all those 'games on rails' in last years both single player and mmorpg. Especially that they lately have tendency to not give any real choices...

Originally posted by Blazeyer

modern warfare 3, i can level up my guns.

omg totally. I so wanted to put this game on the list, but I thought people would be angry, because most of them consider COD as pure FPS.

lol

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I did vote Skyrim but witcher2 is also a very good game tho a bit more linear than Skyrim and has fewer options.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Vidir

I did vote Skyrim but witcher2 is also a very good game tho a bit more linear than Skyrim and has fewer options.

same here

i love both but skyrim offers more

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Both are different games but Witcher 2 is simply way more quality product and must win between the two.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Gdemami
    Both are different games but Witcher 2 is simply way more quality product and must win between the two.

That's just silly. I know Skyrim's PC controls aren't great, but The Witcher didn't even have an invert mouse option to start with. Not to mention the terrible interface trying to pick up items in the world, or the seriously messed up combat. Most of that was fixed in the 2.0 patch, but that comparison isn't fair, as Bethesda has not released their "big fix problems" patch yet.

In addition, you have the more linear gameplay, the terrible crafting system, the less content in general.

You might like The Witcher 2 better, but to say it is simply a better product is not the case, in an objective sense.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• select20select20 Member Posts: 130

Skyrim all the way. I've played almost all top scored RPG to come out in the past couple years. Including both Withcers which I really really enjoyed. But, Skyrim on the PC with a Xbox controller, is probably my favorite game of all time. I've never liked playing First person type games with a  mouse, makes my writst get really sore after awhile. Thats why I always play FPS games on console.

Anyways, Skyrim all the way, can't wait for mods.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it."

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81

Beetch, please... Skyrim all the way.

Witcher 2 and Skyrim belong to different types of RPGs, and which type people prefer - sandbox with story or linear extremely story driven, but with important choices that will change the whole story - will define their choice.

Skyrim is maybe huge with more content, but witcher 2 is not so small either. Witcher's size is not meassured only in virtual meters but how many versions the story have.

In the end, it's all about personal taste.

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

You might like The Witcher 2 better, but to say it is simply a better product is not the case, in an objective sense.

On the contrary, you might not like linear gameplay, you might want more emphasis on crafting and want simpler combat system but those are your personal preferences only.

In terms of objective quality just to name few - Skyrim has clunky controls, horrible UI, it is riddled with insane amount of bugs and glitches and not very up-to-date graphics.

Witcher is higher quality without discussion.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Skyrim has awesome gameplay while The Witcher both 1 and the second have the most amazing stories i've been engaged with.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by DubhlaithYou might like The Witcher 2 better, but to say it is simply a better product is not the case, in an objective sense.

On the contrary, you might not like linear gameplay, you might want more emphasis on crafting and want simpler combat system but those are your personal preferences only.

In terms of objective quality just to name few - Skyrim has clunky controls, horrible UI, it is riddled with insane amount of bugs and glitches and not very up-to-date graphics.

I played The Witcher 2, and it had all of those things too, in spades. Except the graphics. They both have very nice graphics, with different styles. But one game is not unquestionably higher quality than the other in terms of technical quality.

Yes, I prefer Skyrim because of personal preference. Obviously. But I am saying that it is silly to claim one game is technically superior. They are both well made, but they both released with a great many problems. The Witcher 2 has had time to release a massive update that fixed most of the problems (which is in itself an admission that those problems existed). Skyrim has not had time to release such a patch, but when they do, I feel confident the same types of problems will likewise be remedied.

One is not higher quality than the other, and *definitely* not without discussion. They are very close in terms of technical achievement.

Of course, in terms of game of the year standards, The Witcher 2 is just another game. Well made, enjoyable, with a good story. Skyrim is well made, enjoyable, has a good story, and has immense amounts of additional content and side things to do. It has a much more well-developed skill and levelling system, and more varied combat and progression methods. It has a fully realised world to roam in and see. It is a great game, but it is not just a game. It is a massive, expansive nation to just go wild in. At the end of the day, The Witcher 2 is just a game, and not nearly masterful enough to be a game of the year.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• tekniko64tekniko64 Member Posts: 58
    Why are there only two choices? This just gives us an idea of which one is preferred over the other.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by tekniko64

Why are there only two choices? This just gives us an idea of which one is preferred over the other.

I dont think it matters as I think its a no brainer anyway.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

sky-fuckn-rim! best single player rpg for the last 2-3 years!

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

As fustrating as Skyrims problem are.  Still love it alot more then Witcher 2.  Witcher 2 just bored me to sleep. Everytime I tried to play it. Found myself waking up in my chair, and my neck hurting.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

Originally posted by tekniko64

because I felt like only these two games were good enough to compete for this title. Also there's 'other' option so feel free to use it and tell which RPG released this year deserves to be on the list of options and why.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

I dont see how Skyrim could have a greater sense of crafting, you can build or improve your own equipment at every stage of the process, even from mining the raw ore or hunting an animal for its skins and then you have the massivley complicated alchemey.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• Brisky29Brisky29 Member Posts: 65

Skyrim just blew me away. I love it...the gameplay, the stories, the graphics, the music, the sounds...I want to live there, LOL.

they both released with a great many problems

I am not talking about patched Witcher 2 but as it came out and please do not claim your preference as 'great many problems'... Witcher 2 did not have any way near as many issues nor they were similar in nature.

If you think that superb and bearable graphics are same level, there is no point in discussion {mod edit}

Originally posted by Garkan

I dont see how Skyrim could have a greater sense of crafting, you can build or improve your own equipment at every stage of the process, even from mining the raw ore or hunting an animal for its skins and then you have the massivley complicated alchemey.

I think you misunderstood my post.

I say that he may prefer more emphasis on crafting like he may find in Skyrim rather than Witcher 2.

However to your question:

Massively complicated alchemy, seriously...? What is so complicated about mixing 3 ingredients?

Imo, crafting should not be skill based as making hundreds of iron daggers is just annoying rather than sensible and entertaining.