Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now... what was all the secrecy for?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

You know, a few hours before "half-open" beta, I can not help but wonder... what the heck was all the secrecy for?

I mean, in those 2+ years, Bioware always had their "we can't talk about this", making people belief what never seen before things we should expect. Now while TOR sure is a good and decend game... I wonder where the innovation is? Maybe it is ok that TOR is just WOW in space, I don't mind that. But then what was the secrecy for? Weren't we always told some super, never seen stuff was brewed there? Endgame as never before! PVP systems as never seen!

I dunno, compared too the total standard fare MMO SWTOR is, I can only laugh about all their shush-hush-secrecy they celebrated all these years! Ohhh we have such a secret... and then it's just a game like so many before. How... odd.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Elikal

You know, a few hours before "half-open" beta, I can not help but wonder... what the heck was all the secrecy for?

I mean, in those 2+ years, Bioware always had their "we can't talk about this", making people belief what never seen before things we should expect. Now while TOR sure is a good and decend game... I wonder where the innovation is? Maybe it is ok that TOR is just WOW in space, I don't mind that. But then what was the secrecy for? Weren't we always told some super, never seen stuff was brewed there? Endgame as never before! PVP systems as never seen!

I dunno, compared too the total standard fare MMO SWTOR is, I can only laugh about all their shush-hush-secrecy they celebrated all these years! Ohhh we have such a secret... and then it's just a game like so many before. How... odd.

That's just the way Bioware is. They don't talk about stuff until they know it is going in the game. This is very smart in my opinion. 

There aren't going to be features missing at launch because they didn't come out and announce every half baked idea some intern in accounting came up with. While I have been in beta, whenever they announced a feature it was already in the game or they put it in right when they announced it.  

I'm sure there are a few exceptions to this, but I can't think of any. 

Features and systems that were scrapped or had to be pushed back after launch weren't talked about. No empty promises. I have to wonder what kind of stuff got left on the cutting room floor so to speak. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

lol true.

One thing is clear, they know how to sell.

Originally posted by Metentso

lol true.

One thing is clear, they know how to sell.

They're almost similar to Apple in a sense. They have very tight information control, although they are a little more public facing than Apple is. Still though, I can see the similarities. They are very private, and you don't see that many big information leaks. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Simple: Marketing

Building anticipation.

Its like you would ask your parents what you get for christmas after you saw a big fancy box in the closet and they will say "we cant tell you, but its something you always wanted".

Except if you open it its just a pair of shoes you were talking about 2 years ago and that went out of style.

• MegaTommyMegaTommy Member UncommonPosts: 31

None of the Bioware games were truly innovative.

I mean, look at Mass Effect for example. It's basically a Gears of War combat system with some RPG elements. But does it work? Hell yeah it does.

Same goes with TOR. It's same old, but feels very fresh and it works.

I'm a dude. I do stuff.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Amount of content and features looking to be included in the game vs. timeframe. If Bioware was not sure that certain aspects would be included in the game, they definitely did not want anyone speaking of those features.

Plus letting out bits of information every Friday instead of unleashing it all at once retains attention over a longer production period.

And...most projects people work on and actually dedicate a good deal of time to and feel strongly towards will lead to them not really wanting all this news flying about, while the project is being refined and updated consistantly.

Showcase the nearly final or final project.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It is to build up expectations and make more people pre-order. Now what we know that the game is a mix of Mass Effect and WoW with nothing truly innovative the expectations will probably go down.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Originally posted by Yamota

It is to build up expectations and make more people pre-order. Now what we know that the game is a mix of Mass Effect and WoW with nothing truly innovative the expectations will probably go down.

Um, it was known that the game had these attributes long before the NDA lift.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4

Originally posted by Quesa

Haha yeah. If you didn't know that before the NDA lift then I don't know what to tell you. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84
    Perhaps to prevent their competitors to know too much? Marketing strategy? You know people become extremely curious about something they know , yet, know. Its like girls, when you seem them at the beach in bikini, its all the same, but when at work or college mit clothes on its a whole diferent thing, especially if you are interested.

Thats the thing, they wanted to keep people interested in the game.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And that i precisly why i buy it, combine one of my favourtie RPG's with one of the most polished MMO's out there. It is a win/win with extra win on the side. You do not need to re-invent the wheel all the time and i think this will be my bwtween now and Pandaria game.

Yeah... I like WoW and i am sure that i will like SWTOR.

But yes it is a combination of marketing strategy and smart thinking, after all ask some of the people over at WoW about the dance studio or path of the titans. It is always smart to not talk about features or systems until they are fully ready and in game.

This have been a good conversation

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Didn't really see any difference than every other mmo whilst in development.

I think it's more along the lines of preventing people from giving information and reviews on incomplete game mechanics which show the game in a bad light and kill it before it's even out the gate.

Besides which I've not seen a game with quite so many leaks and good quality leaks (such as live streaming) as TOR, so I'm sure where the whole 'they are super secret and good at keeping it that way' thing comes from.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Well, let's see.  I would say the biggest reason is managing expectations.  First, game feature expectations.  If you talk about what you plan on having in the game 3 years before release and then at one and a half years you realize you can't make it happen and tell everyone, there is often a lot of mud slinging going on.  A good example of this is BioWare talking about customizable ship interiors that it turned out they could not fit in before release.  A lot of people were and continue to be upset over that.  Second, playability expectations.  If you let BETA players talk about how buggy the game is a year prior to release it attracts the trolls like flies to rotten meat.  This is about the most unfair reaction any company can have to deal with, so it is best in the end to just stop the testers from talking.

Keep in mind, that is only what I feel the biggest reason is (51%).  The other reason, in my opinion, is marketing (49%).  Thankfully enough people have already talked about that so I don't need to go into it.

What I am really wondering though is, "What do we NOT know about yet?"  I could be wrong, but every good company holds something back for the last minute.  So what is BioWare holding back?

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by dubyahite

Haha yeah. If you didn't know that before the NDA lift then I don't know what to tell you. 

That is was a mix of Mass Effect and WoW was given, but I did not know that there would not be anything truly innovative and just copy-paste from other games. I know Blizzard had this reputation but not Bioware.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by dubyahite

That is was a mix of Mass Effect and WoW was given, but I did not know that there would not be anything truly innovative and just copy-paste from other games. I know Blizzard had this reputation but not Bioware.

Anything at all? come on now that is a bit of exaggeration. Robust companion system and crew crafting is quite an innovation. The only other MMO to have such an expansive companion system was FFXI. Now you may not like what they are innovating but to say there is ZERO innovation is just being biased.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

They werent all that shy about it - story, story, story.

They aint been talking a lot that beneath it its WoW clone until lately.

Endgame with a twist? - still waiting on the twist.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

stopped reading after "wow in space". it's not.

uh and they surely did not promote "pvp like never seen before", must have been one of your wet dreams :>

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

Originally posted by Thane

stopped reading after "wow in space". it's not.

uh and they surely did not promote "pvp like never seen before", must have been one of your wet dreams :>

You did not stop reading then...

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

The secrecy is for the same reason as it is with every game that comes out. IT's to keep things under lock and key until you are ready to show them.

So people don't start saying oh this feature is in game and then you have to take it out for X reason and people get mad. This didn't always work well as the companion death thing will show.

But it was so you'd judge the game what it is now, not what grandeur expections were givin out before hand by people who test the game. It's also so if there are bugs in the game it doesn't hurt it's rep as the only people who are suppose to know about said bugs (prior to the NDA drop) are the devs and the testers.

Basically it's to keep it secret until they are ready to say, hey okay, this is what the game is. That i feel really is all there is to it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

They do that to all there games.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Look, it's a variant of Standard Bash #14.

Let's turn the question around: Why are you still posting these?

It's ok to talk and talk and talk youself into not liking something.  Don't spend your cash, that's all right.

But what's the payoff for remaining incendiary long after it matters?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Icewhite

It's ok to talk and talk and talk youself into not liking something.  Don't spend your cash, that's all right.

That's a good question. At some point he has to realize this game isn't for him and move on to another game in development.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by ktanner3

That's a good question. At some point he has to realize this game isn't for him and move on to another game in development.

Nah that is not going to happen. Some people just can not let it go. 

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

People have and will claim it is for marketting.

And it is...Partially.

There is another reason though that people instantly dismiss when given: MMO players, particularly those that follow a game pre-release, are whiny arsed bitches.

Scenario:

3 years pre-release a dev says their game will have invisible pink unicorns as a player mounts. Players get excited about this: "Unicorns that are both pink and invisible?!?! That's unpossible", they scream.

9 months pre-release the devs announce they have had to cut the invisible pink unicorns because they could not get them to be both invisible and pink and there are more important features to spent dev time on.

Aforementioned whiny arsed bitches explode all over the forums and the CMs have to spend the next 3 weeks fighting fires and trying to calm everyone down.

This has happened time and time again. Bioware opted to simply not mention something until they were certain it would make it in, in some form, for release.

That's what all the secrecy was about: Not giving the whiny arsed bitches anything to whine about.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Supersoups

Originally posted by ktanner3

Nah that is not going to happen. Some people just can not let it go. 

Seems so ..

*looks at Elikal disappointedly*