Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Beta in December BRILLIANT MARKETING!

Comments

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Wrender

Well all I can say to all you people out there hating on AoC I have been subbed to AoC now for 2 months and I now am not looking forwards to any new game anymore. I can't believe I always bought in to all the hate spewing from these forums on Age of Conan and never tried it until now. What the hell is wrong with most of you? Age of Conan for me is the best MMO I have ever played and I am not intending to go nowhere until they shut down the servers for this incredible game. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon as I have finally found my perfect game. AoC is mature, challenging and def not for whining carebears that seem to be multipling in droves to play these "baby" games of today.

And yes I will be interested in seeing how "The Secret World" pans out but will be hard pressed to leave AoC anytime soon.

Time will tell I guess...

The problem with these forums is most of the people are not in MMO's or hat the MMO they are in so they have all the time in the world trying to hate on other games becuase how dare somebody find a game they like while THEY are can;t find one to fit them.  Most people on these sites are bitter, bitter, people.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by jerlot65

Originally posted by Wrender

Well all I can say to all you people out there hating on AoC I have been subbed to AoC now for 2 months and I now am not looking forwards to any new game anymore. I can't believe I always bought in to all the hate spewing from these forums on Age of Conan and never tried it until now. What the hell is wrong with most of you? Age of Conan for me is the best MMO I have ever played and I am not intending to go nowhere until they shut down the servers for this incredible game. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon as I have finally found my perfect game. AoC is mature, challenging and def not for whining carebears that seem to be multipling in droves to play these "baby" games of today.

And yes I will be interested in seeing how "The Secret World" pans out but will be hard pressed to leave AoC anytime soon.

Time will tell I guess...

The problem with these forums is most of the people are not in MMO's or hat the MMO they are in so they have all the time in the world trying to hate on other games becuase how dare somebody find a game they like while THEY are can;t find one to fit them.  Most people on these sites are bitter, bitter, people.

You bring up a very good point.

However, I believe it's not because various posters have no current lineup for their entertainment or even that they have so much time. I believe that it all boils down to the way certain threads read, and that in turn breeds the notion of bitterness.

Everyone has an opinion and in some cases the posters do tend to come across as bitter raging trolls, however those people still contibute to the community. 

Anybody has the right to be bitter towards something and there is nothing that needs to be explained.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Originally posted by senadin

Originally posted by Naral

Regardless of what the status of their game is, they would do well not to even try to create hype in the face of the SWTOR launch. It would be like spitting in the rain, wasting a lot of potential hype creation by trying to compete with the juggernaut of the most anticipated MMORPG launch in recent history. 

Like someone said before me, really push this game, say, mid January to February. 

I honestly anticipate the April release to be pushed back at any rate.

They also have to be careful too of the GW2 release, as yet unannounced. People only have so much time and money to throw at these games, and SWTOR and GW2 are the games to beat, regardless of how you feel about them. Timing is everything for FC right now, and this strikes me as a bad decision, personally.

Uhh the release isnt due for AT least April 2012.... In what ways does this conflict with SWTOR? Even if they were by some miracle able to release in less than a month now, the audience isnt the same. Reviews have already said that this game can require you to think and it is NOT an easy MMO. You dont have those ez wow mode quests. You have to talk to NPCS and can only have so many quests at once. You arent gona be able to milk quests run 20 at a time, only 3 quests allowed at once!

That's not really what I meant. I agree that the April release date has little to no bearing on SWTOR. What I meant, was that for Funcom to dump a lot of money in to press during December under the hail or SWTOR hype is kind of a waste. Better to wait, save those efforts for, say, the end of January when the SWTOR induced frenzy has died down a bit.

That was said under the obviously incorrect assumption TSW was doing some sort of open beta in December, which I think would have been largely ignored.  So, basically, my post meant shit. =)

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by Sorrow

By going open beta on or around the SWTOR launch, The secret world team give they bored gamers out there an option to pull us away from buying SWTOR just out of boredom.

This is HUGE marketing magic, and very very smart for a game that plans to release shortly after SWTOR with the same distribution model.

Hopefully EA doesn't try and nix this move.

This is only true if you become full beta tester. For all the rest its nothing but w8ing and hopeing for good game.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

A LONG open beta actually puts this game more on the map for me.

A LONG beta means quite a few good things.

1) They had a lot of confidence that people will play the game and like it enough to buy it even after a few months of play -- some may say this is a big risk, and it is if you have something to hide(If you game is garbage and you are hoping to just capitalize on the box sales)

2) It means the level/skill cap will NOT be reached in 15 days. 

3) It means they are serious this time in stamping out all of the bugs to have a smoother retail release.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by centkin

1) They had a lot of confidence that people will play the game and like it enough to buy it even after a few months of play -- some may say this is a big risk, and it is if you have something to hide(If you game is garbage and you are hoping to just capitalize on the box sales)

3) It means they are serious this time in stamping out all of the bugs to have a smoother retail release.

I was in closed Beta of AoC, and unless Funcom has hired some skilled people, their Engine is fataly flawed. As people have mentioned before in this thread, AoC is stil buggy, years after Release. They cant program for shit at funcom, sad truth.

I know the engine is flawed because as soon as they Pluged one hole they got other Bugs Instead. This whent on and on and on during Beta of AoC, and continoues even today. You also have to understand that Norway is small Country, they cant get enough good programers.. And they are probably to cheap to pay what GOOD programers are asking, and many people dont like to move halfway around the world, atlest not if they are Top of their field, they can get hired with better salleries were they live.

The swedish company Dice, ( that make battlefield )have even come out and said its dam hard to find people with skills in our small countries.. so they have to hire from outside. Dice is an EA company now though so compared to Funcom they have MONEY backing...

Bad programers, small budget, Reaching for the Stars, Hype.. it will all kill this game fast..

Dont buy this garbage you will only get dissapointed

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by Zlayer77

I was in closed Beta of AoC, and unless Funcom has hired some skilled people, their Engine is fataly flawed. As people have mentioned before in this thread, AoC is stil buggy, years after Release. They cant program for shit at funcom, sad truth.
    I know the engine is flawed because as soon as they Pluged one hole they got other Bugs Instead. This whent on and on and on during Beta of AoC, and continoues even today. You also have to understand that Norway is small Country, they cant get enough good programers.. And they are probably to cheap to pay what GOOD programers are asking, and many people dont like to move halfway around the world, atlest not if they are Top of their field, they can get hired with better salleries were they live.
    The swedish company Dice, ( that make battlefield )have even come out and said its dam hard to find people with skills in our small countries.. so they have to hire from outside. Dice is an EA company now though so compared to Funcom they have MONEY backing...
    Bad programers, small budget, Reaching for the Stars, Hype.. it will all kill this game fast..

I'm confused, are you people talking about bugs in only PvP? I got several characters up to max level in PvE and encountered zero bugs, am I just lucky? I know AoC was terrible at launch but in PvE they really turned the game around, I know they made some stupid moves in PvP (Bori) but wasn't aware of any major bugs in the game beyond sieging.

Could the OP change the title? This is a speculation thread, it gave the impression of being factual.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by EvilGeek

I'm confused, are you people talking about bugs in only PvP? I got several characters up to max level in PvE and encountered zero bugs, am I just lucky? I know AoC was terrible at launch but in PvE they really turned the game around, I know they made some stupid moves in PvP (Bori) but wasn't aware of any major bugs in the game beyond sieging.

Instancing zones, Memory leaking, running on only one Core, Engine Optimization etc etc are still there... I do think most of the glitchy GAME mechanics have been fixed, but some people say its still Buggy. Dose not change the fact the Dreamworld Engine is CRAP.  Done by people with subpar programing skills..

Heavy instancing is to put the load of the engine, but it totaly breaks the game... No fun doing open world pvp when you have 45 instances of the same zone. AoC is dessert these days so you might not even have experinced the Instanced gameworld zones...

• N0umenonN0umenon Member Posts: 10

Norway not having enough good programers is not an issue, since the game is being developed in Montreal, Canada. Besides you can't say they lack competent programers due to land mass.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by Azrile

I can almost promise you that the ´open beta´ will keep slipping further and further back until it is about 2 weeks before launch and is limited to the first few hours of actual gameplay.....ah... I remember you well Tortege.   Funcom is absolutely not going to have any type of real open beta.

agree, in the past Funcom has been excellent at marketing but not so good at producing a polished game. I will wait for ayt least a month after release before hey ever see a dime of my money. Anyone want to bet the release date will be pushed back multiple times , just like they did with AoC ? FC is the master of the carrot just out of reach trick

BTW I hope 6 months from now I will be proved wrong on everything above.

I miss DAoC

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Dont forget there is a difference between team AoC and team Anarchy Online. The second one is a decent game to say the least

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Originally posted by Sorrow

By going open beta on or around the SWTOR launch, The secret world team give they bored gamers out there an option to pull us away from buying SWTOR just out of boredom.

This is HUGE marketing magic, and very very smart for a game that plans to release shortly after SWTOR with the same distribution model.

Hopefully EA doesn't try and nix this move.

It's hardly going to affect the hundreds of thouands that have pre-ordered swtor.

I'd suggest the danger is the other way round -  that this game gets swamped by the launch time hype of swtor, which I feel is happening already.

You may get some forum feedback of the secret world beta on here, but I'll bet it gets drowned out by post after post of swtor launch  comments. 

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

This game is isn't launching until April at the earliest.  Why would they start OB in December?  Makes no sense. 

Why is this thread even still open?  Clearly this is false.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Didn't they just say beta in December, not open beta.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

I would love to play SW as i love the sound of the game but after that mess of beta that they were doing a few months ago that never actually happened its gonna be one of the few mmos that i dont preorder. Played AoC from beta and i gotta say i loved it but the bugs and end game got me so pissed of i just dont trust them anymore.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

I love FC for AO...

Still I heard WoW had a bad launch server queues and so on, I won't pay for that sort of crap and won't give money to Blizzard as they cleary are incompetent on notion how  WoW launched.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

For FC to convince me to buy another product of theirs I will need to see a beta on scale with SWtOR - fully open allowing everyone who wants to try it in.  Anything less and they are pulling their scam crap again like they did with AoC.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Originally posted by crysent

For FC to convince me to buy another product of theirs I will need to see a beta on scale with SWtOR - fully open allowing everyone who wants to try it in.  Anything less and they are pulling their scam crap again like they did with AoC.

Trust me the scam crap of AoC was nothing compared to the scam crap of Anarchy Online's release. I have been burned not just once but twice by these guys so if I act a little suspicious that is why

I miss DAoC

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    just got invited for open beta.
  • floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

just got invited for open beta.

Do you mean regular beta?

If it was open beta, everyone could get in, right? You wouldn't need an invitaion per say.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Leucent

OB around a release for one of the if not the most anticipated MMo releases is dumb. When your game could be getting a ton of exposure, and possibly huge advertising by word of mouth, there won t be anyone around to give a shit. Wait till the newness has warn off on swtor, and the inevitable people that leave every MMO released, will give it a shot. Ie 3 months around.

A very high profile MMO dev  once said that if a compnay has confidence in their game they will show to it as many people as possible in open beta but if they do not feel good about their game they will hide as much of it as they can.  This is what FC did with AoC in open beta by restricting access to the first 13 levels and hidingt the rest of the unfinished game along with releasing lies to to closed beta testers about a promised miracle release patch they said was already done and tested.

I think this test will tell you all you want to know about the TSW. If they play hide and grab peoples money you can betits another bad unfinished game.  If they actually let the masses play the game then maybe its a decent game.  My bet is the focus will be on short term box sales again not long term subs.  Just like AoC.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Ohh well you are clearly outdated. Funcom have their lead developing office in Montreal Canda (>300 peps now). Their engine is built Dx10 and 11. EA is releasing TSW with Funcom...I think most of your points basically are wrong and therefore your post a waste of time.

In general I think it is a good rule to try and inform yourself on the topic before you want to lecture on it. Also, why not be enthused for a game that basically seem to have the potential to change that old faggin MMO grind.

I play AoC now since the last 2.5 year. Game is obviously good to me and my guild, so whats up with all the hate.. TSW is not even the same game and clearly not made the way you think, so ease up a bit.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

You also have to understand that Norway is small Country, they cant get enough good programers.. And they are probably to cheap to pay what GOOD programers are asking, and many people dont like to move halfway around the world, atlest not if they are Top of their field, they can get hired with better salleries were they live.

Gross domestic product per capita $
    US: 46.381
    Sweden: 49.183
    Norway: 84.443

By the way: doesn´t Funcom also belong to EA now? From what I see in the TSW trailers that is.

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

@ the op

dont believe it. i dont know where did you get your info but im 99% positive its false info.

Funcom, also known as Failcom and other more insulting designations given by most of the players who got to play their software, will never:

a) release an unbugged game, ever.

b) release a 'normal' open beta with most of the game acessible.

c) release a game with the adviced features included.

Funcom will..

a) sell you a limited time and content beta acess so you can only play a bit of the crap they making and not realize youre buying a piece of bugged unfinnished badly coded bulldung.

b) sell you a game promising features they dont have cash or know how for or they not even thinking implementing.

c) ban you form their forums the moment you post your honest opinion there, and/or complain about the badly service provided.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by Herodes

Gross domestic product per capita $

US: 46.381

Sweden: 49.183

Norway: 84.443

By the way: doesn´t Funcom also belong to EA now? From what I see in the TSW trailers that is.

No, EA's role in TSW is distrubuting physical copies of the game in North America.