Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite game to play online?

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Pretty much just looking for a great game to play online that will keep me busy for some time. Anyhow, it can be PC, xbox 360, or ps3. Any suggestions would be great.

This is of course an opinion thread, however I will look into some of what you guys put.

Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

DDO for me.

No, its not perfect. And they seem to be slowly changing the things that made this game so unique. Like a correct focus on end game, and decreasing the power of many abilities that were untouched for over 5 years. However, it still beats out the current competition. 

Pros:

1) It actually has a real learning curve. Not like EVE, which takes about 1 week to figure out. It could take you months, if ever. I've been playing for two years, and there are still things I learn to make my character better. Albeit, its rare and a minor boost.

2) A well played solo toon can do a lot. When I first started DDO I had trouble soloing normal quest. Now, not only can I solo any normal quest, but I can do most quest on hard, and a lot on elite. Though, higher level elites give me a lot of trouble soloing I know it can be done, because other players do it. Two well played characters can duo any non-raid, non-epic content. However, a full group of mediocre players can easily fail elites, and bad players fail normal. To me that is what makes DDO great. Seeing the actual progress I make as a gamer. Not to say you have to solo, but its nice if no group is around. There is a real challenge in this game. Player skill and strategy matters, and gear combinations are part of that. 

3) Grouping. Yes, this is about the only game I know of where people still randomly group with each other on a daily basis. Play WoW or Rift, and you'll have to get to max level before you actually group with a real person. In DDO, you do it on day 1. Of course, there are still those guilds who think they are better than us peons and refuse to PuG.

4) True Reincarnate(TR). Keep your toon, and start over with all your gear at level 1!! Of course, their are level requirements for the gear. Its just nice to not need to regrind for it. Sadly, you still have to flag for raids and reearn favor. You also recieve small boost called TR feats and passive bonuses - depends on class.

5) Multiclassing. The real thing that makes DDO unique. Certain combos are deadly. Certain ones are silly and worthless. Its just so fun to dip into classes. My favorite is called a clonk. Part monk and mostly cleric. Lots of good ones, though. 

Cons:

1) Nerfs. There have been a lot of nerfs recently to old mechanics. No idea why, but I think its because they want to slow the game down. They nerfed the two weapon fighing mechanic a year ago. However, they still impose the heavy penalties to fight that way. It takes high dex(worthless stat for dps), extra feats(only recieve a few), negative to-hit, and reduced damage on the off hand. Later they nerfed hold person, so there are no more auto-crits.

2) AC and amor. For the first few levels AC and armor are great. However, if you don't specialize in it, its worthless starting around level 11. Armor appears to be pointless, because you're more than likely not reaching an effective AC. Most people run around in robes or naked. If you do specialize in AC your DPS will suffer. Depending on class it can be dramatic. The good news is after 2 years I finally have enough AC to avoid level 13 mobs. At level 15 that will change. Without key gear that I don't have access to I will never achieve a nice AC build.

3) The learning curve. Why is it here? Because other players will drive you nuts. After you play for a few months, and hopefully become competent those who failed to learn will stick out like a sore thumb. A bad player can drag an entire party to doom if he isn't ignored. Resources are not limitless. You do not gain back HP or spell points like other MMOs. Its very easy to be worthless in this game, and there are a lot of worthless people. Its best to let that person die, and don't heal them or run back and collect their stone, because they thought they could solo the quest. Or my favorite they blame the party because they died. Never mind the rest of you lived. The trick I learned is if their HPs are extremely low just boot them from the group. Obviously, this doesn't apply to lower level quest, because some classes just start out behind the curve. But at about level 10 competent people should be pushing at least 200 HP. I saw a guy with 600 at level 13 the other day. Bad players will be pushing 100. I realize this may sound elitist, but when you put up with this stuff for 2 years you learn to spot the trouble players. At level 4 its not a problem. On a level 12 elite quest, a bad player won't outlive the first battle. New players probably shouldn't even be trying to do elites, anyways. I remember how frustrating it was.

I realize some of this was a rant. Its ok, though, I don't mind. If you give it a go, send me(serrie) a tell on Argonesson(sp?). I can hook you up with some ship buffs that turn you into a god at lower levels. Be sure to visit the forums, and get ready to delete toons over and over until you learn the ropes. Good luck!!

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Non MMO?

The best console game to play online (IMO) isn't on Xbox or PS3. Monster Hunter Tri for Wii beats any hands down.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Anyone else please? :)

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Magic the gathering online, love multiplayer room playing with big decks.

Any other opinions would be great

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

wow .. but only because the clone wars are worse

ideally it would be some magical blend of UO and VG

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Counter Strike: Source. Seriously, it is the game with most replayability and customization EVAR. I actually play the soccer mod exclusively, it's super competitive, has a steep learning curve, and is VERY fun. Lol, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuZb7gDmgg

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

COD MW3 great game, I play it on ps3. The only other game I play is League of Legends, also a great game. I feel they compliment each other really good as one is fps and the other is DOTA type. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Halo: Reach, because there's tactics, unlike some  "see enemy first, he dies with no chance" games.

Also it's fun to do custom games or mix up the matchmade gametypes.  Keeps things interesting.

• Vlad_TepesVlad_Tepes Member Posts: 47

Other than a few MMO's, currently playing Battlefield 3 and Team Fortress 2 (Free on Steam)

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

World of Tanks just rulez as a filler, until the "big boys" come (SWTOR, GW2, TSW and Diablo 3 are the big boys for me). I actually plan to wait one or two months after those games launch. WoT keeps me busy, it's fast, fun, dynamic and now, after i've got the tanks i want, free.

• Omegam0Omegam0 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Vanguard, Counter Strike Source, League of Legends, Star Craft 1 and 2. Really just depends on the mood im in, but those are my suggestions.

• ratternatterratternatter Member Posts: 20

Playing Realm of the mad god atm. Looks like a game from my childhood and it has perma death... got me hooked.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Halo: Reach, because there's tactics, unlike some  "see enemy first, he dies with no chance" games.

Also it's fun to do custom games or mix up the matchmade gametypes.  Keeps things interesting.

Have you happened to purchase Halo CE Anniversary? Debating if I get a Halo if it should be CE or Reach. I pretty much want whatever one has a larger community and will maintain a large community.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I truly think Battlefield 3 is the best online shooter in many years. It's really good game that breaks out of the COD-Style. It feels like Battiefleld 2 with better infatry combat. It's a good game with lots of unlocks.

Guild Wars is really great. I also really enjoy Left 4 Dead series and Mount and Blade Warband. 

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by Tidel

Have you happened to purchase Halo CE Anniversary? Debating if I get a Halo if it should be CE or Reach. I pretty much want whatever one has a larger community and will maintain a large community.

Yes I have it.  The multiplayer for Halo CEA is actually, Halo Reach.  It's worth getting Halo CEA so that way you get the Anniversary multiplayer map pack included, and it's only a 40 dollar game as well.

The multiplayer option on the CEA disc launches into the matchmaking lobby for Reach.  It's pretty slick.

Originally posted by Tidel

Yes I have it.  The multiplayer for Halo CEA is actually, Halo Reach.  It's worth getting Halo CEA so that way you get the Anniversary multiplayer map pack included, and it's only a 40 dollar game as well.

The multiplayer option on the CEA disc launches into the matchmaking lobby for Reach.  It's pretty slick.

Oh nice! Thank you :)