Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that SWTOR NDA dropped, do you believe SWG should return?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144

Nope becouse with ending of this year Sony will loose license to Star Wars

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Even if Sony re-negotiates with LA and gets the Star Wars rights, SWG just didn't have the numbers for it.

It was a unique MMO at the time, but the market ignored it.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

It was purely a financial decision on SOE's part and probably because LA was asking way too much for IP rights this go-round. Add that to the low sub rates and SWTOR coming out that was most likely the reason.

Now - that said - I'm a huge fan of SWG and if SOE had even changed it's sub rates or more importantly allowed players to have more than 2 characters per account I would have stayed. There will never be another game like SWG - with it's fantastic crafting system and sandbox style of play. There are so many facets of the game that were amazing and so many that really sucked.

I was hoping that SOE would have made the game FTP once SWTOR came out but none of that matters now - the game will die come December and most subs left will probably drag themselves over to SWTOR, but won't be happy about it.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

SWG was a great game, mechanics wise (pre-NGE) , then SOE made game worse with massive changes.

Of course this game had alot of downsides as well, bugs, some troubles, overall was really nice game.

It is too old though to became succesful again. Well it could get enough players to stay running imo, but that would mean not much new content and since license is revoked there is not much to say.

Swtor is totally diffrent kind of game. Sure both are called mmorpg's, but they are very very diffrent. Swtor is AAA polished but very themepark, while SWG was unique kind of game, pre-NGE deffo sandbox,  after NGE hmm some kind of themepark & sandbox, but one that went really bad.

Apart of IP there is not much similarities.

I would definately play a game similar to SWG, (pre-NGE) cause it was so unique and rewarding experience, though it would have to be newer game, relatively polished and relatively bug-free with good support. Does not matter if SW IP or not, just game that create world like SWG did.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

While I personally would like it I think that it would be pointless. Even for a pre-NGE version there probably wouldn't be enough interested people without a major overhaul of the game which then again would make the already very doubtful investment necessary a pure idiocy.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by wilq

This. It was not their decision. They have to shut it down (or change the IP into something else - not going to happen).

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

No will not return for sure . Tho the game was great at the time it was also half finished and broken for alot of parts . Seeying also how aging the game looks and feels nowadays doubt it will ever return , even if they bring it more up to par with recent times their game engine is realy bad just like eq 2 game engine and runs like a dog on most new hardware.

Originally posted by Quirhid

This. It was not their decision. They have to shut it down (or change the IP into something else - not going to happen).

Well if the game was doing realy well it wouldnt have be a problem to get license again but with the few subs and being a old aging game doubt they will have enough money to buy it back and still earn something on it.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by krea

Well if the game was doing realy well it wouldnt have be a problem to get license again but with the few subs and being a old aging game doubt they will have enough money to buy it back and still earn something on it.

Lucasarts owns the IP, right? And Lucasarts withdrew their support to SWG.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

As it stands right now, SWG just isn't a good game. I think more than anything that perception is why SOE and LA didn't negotiate an extension. It just isn't financially viable anymore.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

hey I wouldnt mind a Fantasy version of SWG with new Engine and new IP.

I would take that

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

forget it, close the thread - done to death, quit making these stupid i want swg back bullshit posts.

Its a Licensing issue!!! mr effing lucas already told soe that he was pulling it from them this was mentioned so long ago before the beginning of time it feels... Yet people keep posting about how they can get it back how they can sign petitions and all sorts of crap..

It was good... "ONCE" - then it died, things die, not just games let it go lol.. no single player or group of players can get it revived its not "anyones" choice or chance of other than the Soe and Lucas... and its not going to happen is it now, unless you think mr lucas and soe are charitable types lol.. 

The nostalgia can only be relived to some extent on the emu servers - thats the best bet actually only bet..

You can see the addiction flow when these posts appear like molten lava out a major erruption of a volcano! Its terrible seriosuly... most will accept the posters really loved the game but come on lets get real now people..

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Maybe SWG 2.0, but not what it is now. It had a decently long life, but it's time for it to go.

I mean if they went pre-CU and fixed all the bugs and balance, plus added a tonne more content, then yes it should return.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.

whats your opinion?

The Law Firm of Lucas, Lucas, and Lucas are looking at your Face book page as we speak !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

My honest opinion over this question is this.....

The Star Wars universe is now in SWTOR's corner.  SOE had it's run.

We will not see a SWG 2.0 anytime soon, however there are many games that could incorporate certain things that made SWG special to players. 

Now since this is my opinion, I would like to see some developer out there use SWG's Housing/City concepts. I would also be very entertained towards the Harvested Mats having stats that would change over time.

SWG had a few great things going for them, but the ball was dropped many moons ago in my eyes.

Bottomline is a SWG pre-cu model could be re-hashed but with a more modern approach and a huge in flux of cutting edge technology.  Just it could not be anything close to the star wars storyline or LA might see that as some sort of license infringment.  

SWG did hold my attention for my entertainment dollar back before the NGE.  Now since the game will officially be dead within weeks. I for one just will file this game into the list of games I've played and move on.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

Elvis should come back too.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

SWG was dying long before SWTOR was even announced.

Fact is it didnt bring in the big bucks in royalties for Lucarts so they didnt renew the licence with SOE.

Lucasarts owns the IP, right? And Lucasarts withdrew their support to SWG.

Ofcours but do you realy think that if the game was succesfull enough pulling in enough of money and staying to starwars vision they couldnt have it renewed?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Ofcours but do you realy think that if the game was succesfull enough pulling in enough of money and staying to starwars vision they couldnt have it renewed?

But it wasn't accomplishing any of those things, hence why it's being closed.

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Simply put, NO. Unfortunately SWG was a grand idea, that failed due to many things. The market dictates that SWTOR will probably be a huge success ,even if temporarily. I'm more of a niche gamer, so SWG was probably more to my liking, but those days are gone in this industry mostly.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

The quality of TOR doesn't have anything to do with SWG shutting down. It's not about TOR, it's about SWG not being successfull enough. If SWG had generated enough profits the plug would have never been pulled.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

I think it was a well thought decision, SOE owned the rights for many years and did not impress anyone with their numbers. And of course no one like Bioware would ever tolerate spending so much money and have another SW online product as a competitor, which its lore could actually be an expansion to SWTOR's story.

This was the deal all about imo and the "options" examined like a FTP model are lies. Well at least SWG NGE guys feel like we did when they pulled the plug on PRE CU. Poetic Justice.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I don't think my opinion on SWG really matters.  It's gone and it's gone forever.  Not to say that a sequel could nver return, but to be honest there is only one reason I never tried SWG: all the negative posts about it.  The community sliced and diced that game into a million pieces and it never recovered.  In hindsight I wish I would have done what I normally do (ignore the popular trends) and do what I wanted and tried it out.  Of course, I might have liked it, which would have broken my heart at it's closure.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Sony claimed that SWTOR would be the reason for their end to SWG's plug being pulled. But maybe it was a poor decision, or a well thought out decision.whats your opinion?

I doubt that's the reason Sony dropped SWG. The population simply wasn't good anymore and was losing people all the time. After the NGE changes, it just wasn't able to retain as many.

I'm thinking Sony probably figured it's better to cut it's losses now than to slowly bleed to death over the next X years while ToR thrived.

So now, Sony did the right thing killing SWG especially when you figure they'd have to be paying royalties to them and DCUO for their mmo licences. When a company sees money going out the door that way, it's not good.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

As has been said quite a few times... Its not even up to Sony.   Lucas Arts doesn't have to let them use the IP..    The only oddity is that according to Smedley the license ran out early next year.   Yet the games announced shut down date (announced months ago) happens to be the same day early access starts for TOR.

I'd always wondered why they were shutting the game down while they still had the license.   Simply because they had paid for the time but then again if I remember right they aren't charging a sub for swg in the final months so they can't really milk it to the end.

Anyway...

What should happen is BioWare should purchase the space technology from SOE.   The one thing totally right in SWG at this time is the space game.   When I play through that crap mini game in TOR... seriously this would be a good move in my opinion.   Sony gets some cash and bioware gets a space game that isn't crap.

Beyond that as much as I used to love SWG I would never go back to the existing game and if I was SOE .. I would have zero interest in trying to get the IP back.   In fact they are probably making more money off that clone wars game they run (so they do still do business with LA obviously).

I doubt I'll stay subbed to TOR very long but the only way SOE would get me back IF they somehow had SWG running again... would be to offer either a Pre-CU or at least Pre-NGE version and that is obviously not going to happen either.