Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Artillery Ruins the Game

DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

It would be a decent tank game but artillery ruins the game by making it a campfest.  On many ocassions I've had a nice match going where I wanted to see how I would do and then BANG arty 1 hit kills me.

They should either eliminate arty or allow players to opt out of matches that have arty (start a random game but without arty).

I've told them I'll not be sending them my monthly few hundred dollars and that may wake them up. It has woken me up. Why am I paying a few hundred a month to level (get a higher tier tank) faster? I'll be switching that money to BF3 and SWTOR.

WoT is a pay to win game anyway. Gold shells cost real money and can do up to double penetration. Arty gold shells are godlike and I can see why they want to keep arty. Too bad, they want it all and will wind up with nothing.

If they get rid of gold shells and limit arty (as in if I don't want to play vs arty I won't) then they may attract more customers from the Northern Hemisphere. But I think they're greedy and they have hopes for a killing which will never come. So they will fail.

Cest la vie.

Comments

• select20select20 Member Posts: 130

Wow, a few hundred dollars a month? Most people can't afford that, and if they can might think it's a waste of money anyways. I say Kudos if you can afford it and do it thats cool. But spending that much money on a game  just to do well already rules out a huge percentage of gamers.

I do know that P2W games, some people like and enjoy. I've just never been one of them so my opinion might not matter, but I thought I would put my 2cents in.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it."

• DojenDojen Member UncommonPosts: 134

A few hundred just to convert gold into "free" experience (to avoid grind and get your tank and upgrades faster).

If you want to "pay to win" it will cost even more.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I disagree. Arty adds another dimension to the game. It also helps prevent campers, the worst being the ones in the high tier tanks letting the lower tiers go fight. Also, you are extremely vunerable as arty, so there is quite the tradeoff( killing power for lack of defense aka glass cannon in other games).

I too have been one shotted by arty, but also by TDs and regular tanks. Sometimes you get a lucky shot, or an unlucky death.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360

Okay, 2 things.

1. Arty's fine.  It adds an interesting dimension to the game.  I very rarely see arty dominate any map.

2. A few hundred bucks a month?  What?  Are you nuts?  What a waste.

And it galls me somewhat that in order to get what YOU want, you would try and extort the devs into making a major change to a game.  They are probably making hundreds of thousands/millions and you think your few hundred bucks matter.

How pathetic.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Pale_Fire

Okay, 2 things.

1. Arty's fine.  It adds an interesting dimension to the game.  I very rarely see arty dominate any map.

2. A few hundred bucks a month?  What?  Are you nuts?  What a waste.

And it galls me somewhat that in order to get what YOU want, you would try and extort the devs into making a major change to a game.  They are probably making hundreds of thousands/millions and you think your few hundred bucks matter.

How pathetic.

Yeah, that's all I can think of, any concerns about arty being overpowered seem to pale in comparison.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Just play F2P's for fun, not to "own", and you'll be fine. And yes arty is fine, has it's role in the game, helps the dynamics, it's fine the way it is. Without arty, defending will probably win most games.

If it's that overpowered, level one and own. Level arty and play it, and you'll see it's not that "I Win" button which everyone thinks it is. Yes i agree, good arty wins a battle but no one stops you from being that good arty. And if you strive for balance, play tiers 4-7, i bet almost no one uses gold rounds there, at least in public games. Wait for the 7.0, there will be tier4max battles, tier8 max battles etc. The game is great as long as you dont want to "own", and expect to do it for free (yes a few hundred for month in F2P's is "free" if you want to totally dominate)

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

A little off topic, but I have similar feelings about Battlefield 3.  It's a great game, but it can get very, very spammy.  This is especially true on servers that refuse to turn on Friendly Fire.  Mortars, Tanks, Attack Helicopters, etc.  Sometimes it just ruins the game for me.  ( I tend to roll sniper/recon or ground assault).

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think artillery would ruin 9 out of 10 current mmorpgs, tbh. You just don't put artillery in an online game and expect it stays balanced. Might as well sell nukes in the cash shop; "To turn a sure loss into a complete victory!"

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

People complaining about artillery obviously did not play them enough.

• KissThaRingKissThaRing Member UncommonPosts: 78

Ah yes, the arty... "lil noobs with big guns" if you ask me, lol.

I used to hate arty with a damn passion, but after 2000+ battles, I'm starting to tolerate there role in this game. The fact of the matter is you NEED artys in this game, and its very satisfying when you do arty "spotting" and your own team arty does a good job hammering those key points and picking off key tanks. It actually adds an element of teamwork thats missing in alot of games nowdays. I've gone a few rounds where i rarely even fire a shot but do "spotting" for our arties, I just hide behind dead tanks or rocks and call out targets and watch the rain come down, its actually quite fun.

But yeah, I feel ya.. nothing puts a damper on your day then rolling out and getting tracked, then instantly pummed by arty, it can suck, but just know that it happens to everyone. Even artys have to worry about counter-arty and the pesky scouts gettin in early and ruining there day. So in the end, it all evens out. :0

I enjoy undercutting people in the market place - it's the only PvP a crafter gets.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

the only people arty are a real threat to are TDs and other arty. half the time a mobile tank is hit by arty do to shell splash its pretty rare that an arty and "snipe" a tank on the move. but as TDs and arty sit idle aiming shots they are more likely to be hit. 

rolling around in my m3 stuart i rarely get hit by arty. and that tank is a rolling death trap lolol just learn to dodge correctly and pick your "parking" cover better. 

my TD is more likely to pop your tank then arty is as indirect arty fire has a small % to actualy hit your tank where as a TD or other tank can actually aim at you lol

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Wow what a post. Arty in no way ruins the game. In fact on many maps arty is practically useless then on others in the open field - Arty is hardly full on reliable - plus if you keep moving there's very low chance of being hit by arty.

OP it seems you just don't deal with arty well - probably someone who picks a hiding spot with camo and waits...

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by bronecar

See here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/156262-wg-unleashes-new-game-world-of-arty/page__st__20#entry2564138

28 artillery in a 30 tank game.

• JerryCat1JerryCat1 Member Posts: 2
    I hate those bullet slingers!
  • SlimacikSlimacik Member Posts: 2

Exactly, you should try to play artillery and see, how "easy" it is to hit a tank with given reload and aiming time. But often I can shoot 2-3 rounds on the same tank on the same spot, you should learn how to protect yourself.

With same logic, I could say they should remove heavies, because when playing as light tank, I can not do any damage, but they kill me with one hit.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I have no problem with arty's being in the game..  I think it's a good counter to those camping snipers..  The only 2 issues I do have tho are: 1)  Most matches there are only 1 or 2 arty's per side and if your team has shitty arty's , sometimes you can be screwed.. Especially if the other team has GOOD arty's..  2) Issue is that arty's often one shot most tanks but heavy tanks like the KV's for example can take multiple hits..... (cough) I'm sorry, but if a large arty HITS a heavy tank, it too should be one shotted..
  • redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Dojen

It would be a decent tank game but artillery ruins the game by making it a campfest.  On many ocassions I've had a nice match going where I wanted to see how I would do and then BANG arty 1 hit kills me.

They should either eliminate arty or allow players to opt out of matches that have arty (start a random game but without arty).

I've told them I'll not be sending them my monthly few hundred dollars and that may wake them up. It has woken me up. Why am I paying a few hundred a month to level (get a higher tier tank) faster? I'll be switching that money to BF3 and SWTOR.

WoT is a pay to win game anyway. Gold shells cost real money and can do up to double penetration. Arty gold shells are godlike and I can see why they want to keep arty. Too bad, they want it all and will wind up with nothing.

If they get rid of gold shells and limit arty (as in if I don't want to play vs arty I won't) then they may attract more customers from the Northern Hemisphere. But I think they're greedy and they have hopes for a killing which will never come. So they will fail.

Cest la vie.

- Wrong, you don't have to use real world money to buy gold shells, you can also pull down the little tab in the ammo loadout screen and use in game credits, which you earned from playing.

- There already are matches where there is NO arty, ( about every second to third match I get an arty free match )

Hints for not getting hit by arty;

- use cover, use building or rocks place them between you and where the enemy arties would logicically be on the map.

- use camo, ( not the paint job camo )

- When moving Don't knock over trees, buildings or fences, arty can see these being knocked over and home in on you.

- Don't stay in one place, especially if you spot and enemy tank, because if you can see them, they can see you and if they see you so does there arty, so move.

• Joejc7135Joejc7135 Member UncommonPosts: 214

Don't judge, maybe the guy has so much money he can wipe his ass with 100 dollar bills? On topic, I tried this game some time ao and just kept getting 1 shotted by artillery without understand how. I simply uninstalled.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Slimacik

Exactly, you should try to play artillery and see, how "easy" it is to hit a tank with given reload and aiming time. But often I can shoot 2-3 rounds on the same tank on the same spot, you should learn how to protect yourself.

With same logic, I could say they should remove heavies, because when playing as light tank, I can not do any damage, but they kill me with one hit.

Exactly!!! Or that FPS games should remove snipers because they can 1-shot me and I can't even see them. 

Being really good with artillery isn't easy, especially when people are actually moving. I think that the artillery, if nothing else, forces people to move instead of staying and camping in one spot the entire game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------