Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR its all about the journey not the destination (poll)

For the past couple years ive been fairly dissapointed by mmos and their lack of difficult leveling.  It seems that every game just wants you to push to lvl cap as fast as possible and herd you into their little raid dungeons like a bunch of sheep.  Not since the days of EQ have i truely enjoyed leveling a character.  So now we have SWTOR less than a month out, a game that appears to break this mold, somwhat.

C

Comments

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

I enjoy levelling characters, and I always end up quitting at endgame because raiding is boring and pointless.  I'm guessing that I'll end up leveling 2-3 characters, enjoying as much of the story as possible.

• oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

For the first time in quite a while I know I want to enjoy the journey in this game.   In many of the other mmos  I have played I just wanted to level quickly to get to the shiny end game pvp.   I made a commitment to myself to slow down and enjoy all the story this game is offering to me.  Lets hope I can honor my own commitment. image

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by oxyde

For the first time in quite a while I know I want to enjoy the journey in this game.   In many of the other mmos  I have played I just wanted to level quickly to get to the shiny end game pvp.   I made a commitment to myself to slow down and enjoy all the story this game is offering to me.  Lets hope I can honor my own commitment. image

haha i hear what your saying theres always that desire to be one of the first to get to them shineys.  After a weekend of playing and an entire childhood of Star Wars somthing finally seems more important than the shinies, good ole story.

C

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by czekoskwigel
    I enjoy levelling characters, and I always end up quitting at endgame because raiding is boring and pointless.  I'm guessing that I'll end up leveling 2-3 characters, enjoying as much of the story as possible.

Same here. Doing the same things over and over is not my definition of "fun", but to each their own.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

You say:  "SWTOR its all about the journey not the destination"

but so far from 100 testers, 99 said that till middle level the game is more or less instanced(or that is the feeling), quests are boring and the story is linear. So, how is it about the jorney, when the real journey seems to start at the end :D

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

As much story as possible, but relative to my needs.

So I still might skip stuff if I'm not interested. But I start with the mindset I describe above.

We'll see how I end up. I'm definately not a rusher

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

I am having issues with re-investing time and effort that I've already put into WoW and building up a main and alts that has put me off even wanting to test. That said, I hope the game does well with new batches of players.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Simply put, SWtor is a journey not a desintation. If you go for the end 'destination' your going to be highly disapointed. Its designed I feel for following a story and really leading the player there. If your just using it to grind up and max quickly, your going to quickly see a lot of the games faults. The story is what holds the game together and without it, I feel its just nothing special.

I'm one that feels games should be able to carry themselves with a mix of story or gameplay. While I might sound negative about the game, I'm one that really feels a good story can make a game shine.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

The only problem with saying that TOR is about the journey and not the destination is that you will eventually reach that destination. What happens when the VO and story end? How many people are going to embrace the WoW type of end game? Only time will tell I guess but Imo this is where the subs will start to drop off.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Hmmm... no option for me, do story, do pvp, do heroics and flashpoints. Do crew skills and space invaders (er sorry, space combat).

I think there needs be a "do ALL the things!!!" option.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Same here. Doing the same things over and over is not my definition of "fun", but to each their own.

this goes for me 100% as well... thats the strongest and main reason is cant resub to Rift.... theres no love for Altoholics.

i enjoy more rolling different races to get to know their part of the Lore on their own cities and areas than actually rinse and repeat raids

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

I could care less about end game.  I usually end up quitting most MMO's as soon as i max level.  Running endless raid or dungeon after dungeon with people i don't know trying to hopefully maybe get one piece of loot is not my idea of fun.   

There's not one single game that has end game content that's appealling to me so all these games are about the journey for me.