Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Extended Experience Mobile App

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In his latest Guild Wars 2 column, MMORPG.com's David North discusses the possibilities of the mobile aspect of the Guild Wars 2 Extended Experience.

Have you ever sat around your cubicle, thinking to yourself how awesome it would be to continue experiencing your favorite MMO while at work?  What about hanging around at some sort of social gathering, not really “feeling it,” and just wishing you had something better to do?  Your prayers will soon be answered.   Follow me, into the realm of words, sketches, and ‘what ifs’ as we look into the mobile aspect of the Guild Wars 2 Extended Experience.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Extended Experience Mobile App.

Comments

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

Since account security is such a big issue these days, I would like to see some features that help provide more security to our accounts.  Chat and the auction house would be useful.  Although we don't have a lot of details on world pvp, some sort of news on world pvp status and other tournament news would be nice and helpful.

Other than those, I'm not really what else I would be looking for in a mobile app.  Some sort of minigame could make it fun for those away from the computer but with a chunk of free time.  That would let people stay connected and involved in the game even though they wouldn't be able to actively play.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sounds like you are advocating playing games at work which when you think about it is not exactly a good idea.

Take it from someone who knows, you will eventually get burned badly if you do.

• altairraltairr Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sounds like you are advocating playing games at work which when you think about it is not exactly a good idea.

Take it from someone who knows, you will eventually get burned badly if you do.

Thats really true, because it can have very bad effects after.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Being able to manage your auction house and talking to people in game (or on their mobile apps) would be about all I'd ever want to do. I'd maybe want access to forums, but there's probably going to be a mobile version of their forums site so that would pretty much do it for me.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

I'm really looking forward to GW2 Extended Experience Mobile app. And I would like to see something different in it, since i'm 99% sure you won't be able to really play the game as a mini-gollem or something simillar (of course, the 1% is because Arena.net surprising us all the time).

What I would lke to see is the ability to record and save strategies and tactics in PVP and WvWvW in order to easily share with your friends and people from your guild and server. Like some sports apps do.

I would also like to see some kind of feature where players can create something unique and register that in a "tournament" where the 1st place is chosen to be in-game. Things like weapons ( new swords, hammer, staffs, etc.), armour, guild emblems and maybe skills/traits.

• ReverserReverser Member UncommonPosts: 8

I agree, world pvp informations will be great. Something about crafting could be interesting.

• SirlapSirlap Member UncommonPosts: 8

Some type of mini game like gambling that would use in game gold so I could maybe make some or lose some while sitting on my lunch break.

I haven't been paying close attention to how crafting works but if we could somehow load our inventory up with mats and be able to craft on the mobile app that would be cool.

• ZkullZkull Member Posts: 2

How about something more useful like the ability to do some crafting.  I assume it is not graphics intensive or a lot of action that would make it feasible on a mobile device.

Another helpful feature would be an official character planner/builder so you could mess around with different builds.  Maybe add the ability to save/share the builds to compare with others.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Lucent Heart, in my time with it, has one of the cooler "non-playing, but helping friends" features I've seen. It lets you log in, start "praying" for your friend who the receives a buff in whatever it is they're doing. Wouldn't it be cool if the EE App in GW2 allowed you to help out your friends with a 5% damage or health buff while you couldn't actually be in the game to do it?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• talonsgrasptalonsgrasp Member Posts: 11

I just recently brought this up on the guild wars 2 facebook page.  Nice to see that I'm not the only one wondering about this app.  I want it to feature picture galleries, so your friends can send you screenshots of what they're doing, maybe their new armor, etc.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Originally posted by lizardbones

Being able to manage your auction house and talking to people in game (or on their mobile apps) would be about all I'd ever want to do. I'd maybe want access to forums, but there's probably going to be a mobile version of their forums site so that would pretty much do it for me.

anet doesn't have official forum. We use gw2guru or other fan forums.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Lucent Heart, in my time with it, has one of the cooler "non-playing, but helping friends" features I've seen. It lets you log in, start "praying" for your friend who the receives a buff in whatever it is they're doing. Wouldn't it be cool if the EE App in GW2 allowed you to help out your friends with a 5% damage or health buff while you couldn't actually be in the game to do it?

This is a craziest idea, in a good a way, I have heard lol

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Can't quite pin down how to feel about this one.

a) Cool tech, for sure.  Wondering about limitations (and screen resolution on TINY screens).

b) You'd be a fool to use it (from work, or at granma's house, movie theater--lots of places).  If you're often tempted in inappropriate gaming situations, I'd definitely stay away from it.

c) Heavier addiction just leads to faster burnout.  You have been warned.

Pick any two, I'm vacillating.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by Zkull

How about something more useful like the ability to do some crafting.  I assume it is not graphics intensive or a lot of action that would make it feasible on a mobile device.

Another helpful feature would be an official character planner/builder so you could mess around with different builds.  Maybe add the ability to save/share the builds to compare with others.

I think being able to do some crafting or swap and share builds with friends would be welcome additions.

For a lot of us, the mobile app would be a welcome addition when we have free time away from the computer (i.e. not inappropriate times).  Just having the option to use it if we want would be nice.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Mmm...I love gaming, I loved Guild Wars 2, I love Anet...I don't love this.

Not to be the "adult" here but in terms of productivity and economic growth the world is really not doing very good, I think being able to check out our auction house items from a mobile app while at work should be the last thing anyone gives a damn about. Not to mention, why would you want to be CONSTANTLY connected to a game? That's a whole other level of nerd-dome.

It used to be people played games then left the house and took care of things they actually have to. Now they can play games wherever they go! And that's totally a good thing of course. /sarcasm.

I don't know. I don't like the idea of people telling me that games are a waste of time (they are, but that's not the point) because I know I can play a game and still dedicate enough of my time to real life to progress through it and succeed at it. But not everyone can do that. It's not my call to police those people, but I still don't see how it's necessary we be stuck, literally at the hip, to video games. Yes, mobile gaming is old news at this point, but I'd rather that Anet weren't so quick to be one of the lemmings on this one.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

If I want to game, I'll stay home. If I'm not home, it's because I have better things to do, and what digital item I'm selling for digital cash is as it should be; completely irrelevant.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

What about hanging around at some sort of social gathering, not really “feeling it,” and just wishing you had something better to do?

You know that feel...

Originally posted by thedarkess
    anet doesn't have official forum. We use gw2guru or other fan forums.

I hope it doesn't stay that way because GW2Guru is pretty terrible. I'd rather something with official moderation. Having a centralized community is extremely important. Not everyone will know about GW2Guru, but everyone who plays will know about GuildWars2.com.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by BillMurphy

absolutely!

also you could cast some small debuffs/curses to the bosses / elite mobs. It sounds exciting.... 

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

Things I would like to see in the Extended Experience App.

1.  Guild Organization Tools  (like a calender or something)

2.  Build Manager (something like GWTB)

3.  Recruitment Tools (in game and on the web)

4.  Site Management Tools (web sites, forums)

5.  Dynamic Event Tracker (just because)

6.  Personal Story Synopse (so you can tell your story anywhere)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

this app MUST come to Android, or else.....

:p

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by rojo6934
    this app MUST come to Android, or else.....:p

http://www.arena.net/blog/gaming-outside-the-game-rick-ellis-talks-the-guild-wars-2-extended-experience

Q: When you say “mobile,” what exactly does that mean?

A: Initially, we will be offering applications that will run on iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android smart phones.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AsherzAsherz Member Posts: 20
    Im all for;
    -community tools such as chat, forums, wiki...
    -Auction
    -direct chat with ig players

Im against:
    -dyn event tracking
    - dungeon helper
    - any kind of option to be able to play on mobile. Cmon, are u rly that that addicted?

• LynieLynie Member Posts: 1

Something like this already exists for Guild Wars 1, just saying: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.guildwars.mobilechat

• BrotherVaatiBrotherVaati Member Posts: 23

Yes to everything except:

Dynamic event tracker - All it'll do is make you wish you were there, when you should be doing something important,

Mobile "playing" - Yeah kind of for the hardcore addicts

I think guild moderation and heirarchy formatting is good on the go stuff.