Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Typical MMO fanaticism

I'm finding it funny that many of the longtime beta testers (3+ months) are giving honest reviews that the game, although not bad, is very linear, bland and standard, yet there are the fanatics out there (almost everyone else) that continue to tell us we're wrong. 

WE TESTED THE GAME EXTENSIVELY, played it a whole lot...trust us, the game is not the second coming of God. 

I really like the one guy's review where he mentioned that character customization, i.e. gear and appearance, are extremely limited and/or not done all that well.  That is probably one of the worst aspects of the game for me.   That and having to listen to EVERY single NPC with a quest (no matter how menial) talk endlessly about the quest and what they need done.

I know and hope that people will have fun with this game, I just wish some would open up their eyes a bit more and realize that this game is neither ground-breaking or epic.

Comments

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I hope to have fun in the game but i know for a fact it isnt as good as being hyped. People do this loads.

• ScoutMastrScoutMastr Member Posts: 140

Luckily for me this is only my second MMO--SWG being the first. Considering how many people on here are excited about this game, and they claim to have played so many other MMO's, I have to agree with you...I don't get it either...other than it's Star Wars I mean--that's pretty much why I'm giving it a chance.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by chaod1984

I'm finding it funny that many of the longtime beta testers (3+ months) are giving honest reviews that the game, although not bad, is very linear, bland and standard, yet there are the fanatics out there (almost everyone else) that continue to tell us we're wrong. 

WE TESTED THE GAME EXTENSIVELY, played it a whole lot...trust us, the game is not the second coming of God. 

I really like the one guy's review where he mentioned that character customization, i.e. gear and appearance, are extremely limited and/or not done all that well.  That is probably one of the worst aspects of the game for me.   That and having to listen to EVERY single NPC with a quest (no matter how menial) talk endlessly about the quest and what they need done.

I know and hope that people will have fun with this game, I just wish some would open up their eyes a bit more and realize that this game is neither ground-breaking or epic.

Well, WE TESTED THE GAME EXTENSIVELEY and had a helluva lot of fun, enjoyed ourselves immensely, and plan on playing it for a long time to come.

See that? It's called an OPINION.  Everyone gets to have one.  You don't like the game, fine, {mod edit}

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Well it is a function of several factors really.  This seems to happen with every new MMO launch and is nothing new really.  I'm thankful I've had some opportunity to test the game before it launches so I have an idea how the game 'really' is rather than listening to the haters or the fanboys.  If people can't take an honest look at a game and determine both the good and bad points, then they have deeper problems imo.  The ardent defenders of all things SW:TOR as if it really is going to be the greatest game launched since WoW are the ones that really entertain me.  image

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I know and hope that people will have fun with this game

This is the best part of your post.

People who think that others think this is the second coming should not be weighing such opinions so heavily. They are just different opinions. Not right or wrong.

You can very easily tell when someone has bias either mostly positive or negative. It bleeds through their writing.

Many people however(myself included) look at these previews, try it ourselves, and make our descision based on our own preferences. Your own opinion is the only one that matters when talking of likes and dislikes.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

I tend to agree but its honestly like this for every major game release.  Its not nearly as bad as the buildup for GW2 (at least I don't think it is) but its pretty bad.  There are always peopled disappointed with games due to how they have built it up in their mind.  Its nearly always better in our minds than in reality.  That said, I have played in the beta and after being on the fence about the game I preordered it because I enjoyed the game and I hadn't built it up in my mind to the point where nearly anything would be a letdown.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Well, WE TESTED THE GAME EXTENSIVELEY and had a helluva lot of fun, enjoyed ourselves immensely, and plan on playing it for a long time to come.

See that? It's called an OPINION.  Everyone gets to have one.  You don't like the game, fine,{mod edit}

And why can't you accept that his OPINION is the opposite of yours and he doesn't have to go elsewhere just because YOU don't like the fact that he doesn't like your game?  {mod edit}Do you not realize that negative opinions hold far more weight than positive?  More weight in that if they are legitimate and enough people agree with them that the game itself, if Bioware is smart, will benefit from it and become even better than you think it is.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If someone plays the game and it feels ground breaking and epic then to that person, it is.

You've just done exactly what you're claiming everyone else has done...state your opinion.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

So many conflicting opinions.. whatever shall we do?

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

See that? It's called an OPINION.  Everyone gets to have one.  You don't like the game, fine {mod edit}

{mod edit} He gives the game a mild criticism about several aspects and someone flies into a rage and tells them to play something else. {edit}

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Precusor

I'm still wondering at what the dire consequences of playing or not playing the game will be. People keep hinting that we must play the game or must avoid the game...WHY? WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME IF I PLAY THIS GAME?!?!?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

You mean..people like different things? /mindblown!

To the OP:

Why yes, I play Call of Duty for the past 3+ years. Did you know that it hasn't changed much during that time and is now 'standard and non-revolutionary'? But you know what? I'm having a helluva time in every game.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ScoutMastrScoutMastr Member Posts: 140

See that? It's called an OPINION.  Everyone gets to have one.  You don't like the game, fine,{mod edit}

His post wasn't nearly as angry as yours, and his was the one that was less than thrilled about this game...why did you respond the way you did? Does he have to move on or can he continue to voice his concerns about this game? I plan on playing this game and wasn't at all bothered that he and others aren't very excited based on their testing experience. I don't know about you, but I think game developers benefit from feedback like his...moreso than people telling him to go away that is.

Originally posted by Airwren

The ardent defenders of all things SW:TOR as if it really is going to be the greatest game launched since WoW are the ones that really entertain me.  image

I see this statement made all the time, but I have yet to see anyone who likes this game ardently defend this game as " the greatest games launched since WoW", or the many other great quotes like "the second coming of God", etc.

And you know what, If someone does think this is the "greatest game", then who are you or I to disagree. More opinions to the pile.

There is way more entertainment value in the camp that supports your attitude.

• SilaxSilax Member Posts: 250

The game is not the next coming.  It is ground breaking in it's expansive VO design.

Regarding your critiques:

1.  Limited Gear/Character Designs - both are cosmetic issues.  Nothing prevents Bioware from making changes.  Core gameplay, art and animation, however, are not so easy to change.

2. You can skip conversations by hitting the space bar.  You don't need to listen to EVERY single one.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

If for someone game is epic because they enjoy it immensely what is the problem? why do they need to open their eyes and confirm to your opinions? sorry there is no black or whie in situations like this. As far as honest reviews are concerned there is no such things as unbiased or honest review whether it is positive or negative. Every person has their own agenda behind the review.

That is why try the beta and make up your own mind for God sake. I hav been on SWTOR forums for a long time and also on mmorpg.com but no one ever gave an impression that SWTOR is second coming of GOD. Hyperbole much?

Originally posted by Airwren

See that? It's called an OPINION.  Everyone gets to have one.  You don't like the game, fine

{mod edit}
    {mod edit}

He gives the game a mild criticism about several aspects and someone flies into a rage and tells them to play something else. 

{mod edit}

I would hardly call that rage. I saw it as a sarcastic counterpoint.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by Zenjinx

I know and hope that people will have fun with this game

This is the best part of your post.

People who think that others think this is the second coming should not be weighing such opinions so heavily. They are just different opinions. Not right or wrong.

You can very easily tell when someone has bias either mostly positive or negative. It bleeds through their writing.

Many people however(myself included) look at these previews, try it ourselves, and make our descision based on our own preferences. Your own opinion is the only one that matters when talking of likes and dislikes.

Thanks for noticing that line...I meant it.  I see that many others ignored it.

The only point I am making is that these testers put some time into playing the game....whether you like what they are saying or not, if several of them are saying the same thing over and over again, it just might be true....

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

Originally posted by lizardbones

I'm still wondering at what the dire consequences of playing or not playing the game will be. People keep hinting that we must play the game or must avoid the game...WHY? WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME IF I PLAY THIS GAME?!?!?

Maybe you will have...dare I say fun? but who wants that...realy

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Actually it sounds more like the reviewers are/were expecting the second coming of god, really. I expect only a well made and polished gaming experience be it alone or with friends, and I believe I'm going to get it.

What comes to these "true eye opening reviews" that "everyone else" dismisses or are fanboys if they dont agree, I have YET to encounter one that has any info on end game content like raiding, end game instances, PvP at all not to mention end game PvP, PvP planets etc everything that has staying power values, NOT ONE such "review" - they all seem to be these "Hi I'm lvl20 and have a review for you that does not contain much relevant info past leveling and early levels". I'm sorry I cant take those very seriously if I'm going to spend 90+% of time at max lvl in this game.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by Kuinn

Actually it sounds more like the reviewers are/were expecting the second coming of god, really. I expect only a well made and polished gaming experience be it alone or with friends, and I believe I'm going to get it.

What comes to these "true eye opening reviews" that "everyone else" dismisses or are fanboys if they dont agree, I have YET to encounter one that has any info on end game content like raiding, end game instances, PvP at all not to mention end game PvP, PvP planets etc everything that has staying power values, NOT ONE such "review" - they all seem to be these "Hi I'm lvl20 and have a review for you that does not contain much relevant info past leveling and early levels". I'm sorry I cant take those very seriously if I'm going to spend 90+% of time at max lvl in this game.

You make a very valid point and I definitely cannot comment on endgame...Im a casual player so didnt get on but maybe every other day for about 3 hours...plus they wiped us a few times too if I remember correctly.  Endgame could be ALOT better, dont know.  Im not saying the game sucks though by any means...it's a good game, but there are ALOT of good MMO's out there...this one just kinda takes it's spot in the same line.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Because were talking about Cockswaggle (sp?) here, 1 of 2 of the most blathering fanboys of this game who gets all hurt that soemone doesnt like his game of choice so the blathering becomes so great it bleeds through.  One simple search of his post count proves he is so over the top when it comes to defending ToR it is downright hilarious to witness.

He is to Swtor what you are to GW2. Please don't point fingers at others when you are guilty for doing the same. Dare someone says something negative about GW2 and your bat phone starts ringing.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant post.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

I have also been testing the game for a LONG time. And, I found it to be the best MMO experience that I have had to date.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

What about the long-term beta testers who have said the game is terrific?  Do you speak for them also?  You act like yours is the only voice that matters.  

This discussion has been closed.