Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extreme voice acting, Not an mmo in my OPINION.

Comments

• TJixleeTJixlee Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

Originally posted by Ramonski7

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by dubyahite

Originally posted by ktanner3

Do you people also skip the voice acting in arkahm city? I don't understand the mentality of paying for a game and skipping the story. Makes no sense to me but its your money to burn. Just dont come back complaining about a stale game.

Wanting to skip the VO is not the same as wanting to skip the story.

In what way?

I like story.  I read books.  I do not listen to audio books.

I'm assuming you don't watch too many movies or TV either.....shame really.

leave him alone. Maybe he turns off the sound and reads the closed captioning.

OMG IN THIS GAME SKIPPING THE VO IS SKIPPING THE FREAKING THE STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by TJixlee

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Omali

Everquest 2 is almost fully voiced. That must not be an MMO.

DCUO is also fully voiced except for the player characters. It also must not be an MMO.

you two have a point and ppl that havent played the game dont know all the option. have to love assumers but in the case they are only making an ass out of themselves not me. these short sited think they know everything threqads are annoying. and this guys opinion is short sited BECAUSE HE HASNT PLAYED only thinks he has because he WATCHED other ppl play..... with great quality. THE PPL YOU ARE WATCHING DONT KNOW WHAT THE SKIP OPTION IS NOR DO THEY KNOW HOW TO HIT THE SPACEBAR IN VOs. SKIP IT IF YOUR SO HARDCORE

Only downer is that in a group you have to wait until everyone is done. So even if you skip, you still sit there until everyone is on the same page.

True,  but theres also a time limit for choices.  If the cut scene is done and nobody selects a choice it will skip them.  

Otherwise, yes, you have to wait,  but,  if you're waiting chances are you're playing with people you don't know very well, and in that case, with a random pug, you have a lot more to worry about than whether or not they want to skip cutscenes.

PUGs worked out fairly well at lower levels for me. Not sure if it will get more complicated later on but I didn't run into any wipes. I did notice a disturbing lack of healers at all in game, however. Jedi Sages are very rare.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by elocke

To the OP, I completely get where you are coming from on this.  After playing the game myself, I constanty find the sidequest dialogue tedious and it throws the pace of questing/leveling way off.  It's great for Flashpoints and Class quests and maybe main story arcs, but for every single tiny little quest?  It does get in the way.

Oh good god people, slow down and play the game. Why are you and so many more in such a hurry. To be the first to hit end game and bitch theres nothing to do. It baffles me. How does it throw of the pace of questing? It s part of it. the leveling comment, read what I first said.

Not wanting to be slowed down by having to listen to/watch VO/cutscenes does not mean a person wants to rush through the game.  That is one of the reasons I had asked earlier in the thread about options to the VO/cutscenes for those that still want the story, but do not want the VO/cutscenes.

It's one thing to take one's time and enjoy the journey, which many of us have missed with the silly pacing of games these days because of all those rushing - but artificially slowing things down is no better than making everything too fast.

There should be an option for those that want to read, those that want to watch, and yes - even that option for those that just want to skip everything...

...providing an option for the last two but not the first kind of sucks.  :(

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

To the OP, I completely get where you are coming from on this.  After playing the game myself, I constanty find the sidequest dialogue tedious and it throws the pace of questing/leveling way off.  It's great for Flashpoints and Class quests and maybe main story arcs, but for every single tiny little quest?  It does get in the way.

Oh good god people, slow down and play the game. Why are you and so many more in such a hurry. To be the first to hit end game and bitch theres nothing to do. It baffles me. How does it throw of the pace of questing? It s part of it. the leveling comment, read what I first said.

Not wanting to be slowed down by having to listen to/watch VO/cutscenes does not mean a person wants to rush through the game.  That is one of the reasons I had asked earlier in the thread about options to the VO/cutscenes for those that still want the story, but do not want the VO/cutscenes.

It's one thing to take one's time and enjoy the journey, which many of us have missed with the silly pacing of games these days because of all those rushing - but artificially slowing things down is no better than making everything too fast.

There should be an option for those that want to read, those that want to watch, and yes - even that option for those that just want to skip everything...

"Not wanting to be slowed down" by the games content is EXACTLY wanting "to rush through the game".

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

This thread made me giggle a little bit..

"I haven't played, but I hate this game because of one of the primary features to it! RRRRRGGGGH! "

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

"Not wanting to be slowed down" by the games content is EXACTLY wanting "to rush through the game".

That is not what I said, was it?

I said not wanting to be slowed down by having to listen to/watch VO/cutscenes...

...for somebody not caring about the story - they can skip it...

...for those that would rather read it than listen to or watch it, they're screwed.

It's not about wanting to skip the content.  That's the issue...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Not if I READ faster then people can talk.  Plus, I put a better VO on the character than any actor ever could because it's MY imagination.  You are missing the point here.  I said let me skip the VO on SIDE quests, not main storylines.  The side quests are truly the worst part of this game for me.  They are boring and get in the way and are made worse by having to sit through dialogue options/VO on 95% of them.  I never rush through a game, I take about 3 months to hit max level in most MMORPGs.  Did it in WoW, Lotro, EQ2, and other games I take even longer, like FFXI, WAR, AoC.  I even hated the side quest VO in AoC and would read the text ten times faster than they were speaking it.  But the main storyline quests?  I let the VO do the work so I could enjoy the main storyline more.

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

I would not consider extreme voice acting an mmo either...

i mean people voice act in movies every day and movies are not mmo's duh

oh wait, my bad negleted to read OPs thread because his tittle told me all i needed to know about it

someones OPINION who has clearly never played the game.

C

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I think Elocke's request is perfectly valid, I certainly can't fault anyone for not wanting to sit threw a VO on a side quest. Its there choice, it doesn't effect the rest of us nor the game itself.

Originally posted by mrshroom89

I would not consider extreme voice acting an mmo either...

i mean people voice act in movies every day and movies are not mmo's duh

oh wait, my bad negleted to read OPs thread because his tittle told me all i needed to know about it

someones OPINION who has clearly never played the game.

Your post has too many words, not a post in my OPINION.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

The game is indeed on rails. There is very little difference in the storyline regarding the dialog choices you make. The light/dark side stuff means NOTHING outside of some cosmetic gear choices.  You have a predetermined storyline path that is IDENTICAL to eveyone else who is playing that class. The voice acting is very good, and I in particualr liked the Imperial Agent storyline, but this type of gameplay is best reserved for single player games. There is almost no sense of playing an MMO, no choice, no social interaction, no random PvP events, none of the stuff that you would expect to find an an MMO that had so much money thrown at it. Other than the Star Wars IP, there is literally no reason to play this over any other existing game. You will get FAR more for your money from something like Skyrim.

It's not a bad game, it's just sad that they didn't aim higher. SWTOR tries to tell a story like a single player game in an MMO shell, and it fails at doing either right.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Redemp

I think Elocke's request is perfectly valid, I certainly can't fault anyone for not wanting to sit threw a VO on a side quest. Its there choice, it doesn't effect the rest of us nor the game itself.

Red has the right idea.  In beta I was getting really sick of all the VO by about 10.  I like them in the main story, but in side quests that seem to be just plain variations of each other, it gets tedious.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

So you don't like the voice over dialog? you would rather read text? Well then you are going to severly limit yourself to... every other MMO ever created. Pick one.

All die, so die well.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I said not wanting to be slowed down by having to listen to/watch VO/cutscenes...

...for those that would rather read it than listen to or watch it, they're screwed.

Can you guys please take the focus of mmorpgs off leveling for once? Blizzard tried to do this by making leveling a bit easier and they failed (see power leveling). Bioware is attempting this by making story an intergrated part of the procress (I see fail again in the eyes of some posters). I always hated the focus of level being the main driving point of playing past mmorpgs, this is why I loved UO and SWG (pre-nge) and hated EQ and AC. And it seems this is why I will love SWTOR and GW2. Leveling is secondary to the journey in my opinion. If you're more worried about leveling than character development, then I think you may have lost what the true spirit of RPG means. No biggie really, you'll just find that you have a harder and harder time being satisfied by these mmos as they are currently released.

True you may find a ping of satisfaction here and there, but you won't be truely lost in the experience because you're chasing the dragon and not trying to reconnect. You see one takes effort and one expects results with little effort.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

The game has been created to be played in a certain way which includes listening to voice-overs. But you want to skip that because it slows you down. There are many types of games but this game has been made with this aspect included and you want to skip it because it somehow makes you feel you are being hampered by having to listen to these voice-overs. Then may be the game has not been created with you in mind.

Chamber of Chains
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by page

"Yes".....The voice acting is too extreme.

I'm not playing the bata yet. I will be come friday......What gives me the right to even give my opinion ?....Well, I have a real time web site to watch others play Video games. So I've been watching several people playing SWTOR for the past few days.

This web site gives perfect quality along with great audio.  In every case the players are trying to maintain a great attitude. There all mmo players and StarWars fans.  They are narrating every move, some are even doing questions and answers using a side chat built into the web site.......They are playing as if they had been playing this mmo for years.

IN EVERY CASE THEY ARE GETTING EXTREMELY TIRED OF THE VOICE ACTING.  There trying not to bitch.  There trying to maintain a good experience, but many comments are coming out anyway.  Every two minutes they are going into dialog, at times they last several minutes.  You can see that there adrenalin is flowing, yet BAMMM another long dialog.  Lots of frustration.

Theme Park, Sandbox, Bull crap in my OPINION :

The game seems to be on rails, they tell you how to play.  It's not an open world of do what ever.  I don't call it an mmo if you have to instance into PvP or Dungeons to play with others.  Some would, but not me.  Once they add a dungeon finder it will really be over.  Guilds will become worthless and you could just wipe out your friends list because you will not be playing with them anymore......just like Rift......In two months time all will see are the hardcore StarWars fans !....BioWare will call it a success because they made millions off box sales.

My game plan :

As with all bata's, I always play a character class that would not be my first choice, along with the opposed faction, so I don't kill my experience after release.

But In the case of SWTOR I'll be playing my first choice. And skip the game. It will be like a fun, short single player game, with a little bit a grouping for dungeons and PvP....Just like Rift !

I'm trying to think of an mmo that fits your definition of mmo.  UO maybe still does, haven't played it in forever, I think darkfall fits...those are all I can think of.  This site should just shut down as less than a handful of games are actual mmos by that definition.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would be willing to bet that it just wouldn't have occurred to anyone in the design process that there would be a significant number of people who would want to read a transcript of the quest giver's dialog before accepting a quest.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• rickdtrickdt Member Posts: 14

I have been in beta for about a month and a half and i have to agree with the OP. SWTOR is a FANTASTIC BIOWARE RPG, i did not say MMORPG, but just an RPG. Its like playing a final fantasy game, play for 5min and then watch a cut scene for 20.  I'm glad I got to beta it as its not for me. I love star wars, just not this MMO.

Now I need to try and get into TSW beta.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

A friend of a friend of a friend of mine have played it, and he says its great. If you cant trust him then i dont know what to do. He also finds the voice acting quite sexy.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by cheyane

The game has been created to be played in a certain way which includes listening to voice-overs. But you want to skip that because it slows you down. There are many types of games but this game has been made with this aspect included and you want to skip it because it somehow makes you feel you are being hampered by having to listen to these voice-overs. Then may be the game has not been created with you in mind.

I can only listen to 5 voice actors telling me to kill 10 rats so many times.  Also, I can read faster than the voice overs, so its frusrating.  I'm not even trying to rush to max level or anything, it just gives me a headache having to wait and listen to a side quest for 30sec to a min when I could read the same information in 15 seconds.

Originally posted by marinrider

I can only listen to 5 voice actors telling me to kill 10 rats so many times.  Also, I can read faster than the voice overs, so its frusrating.  I'm not even trying to rush to max level or anything, it just gives me a headache having to wait and listen to a side quest for 30sec to a min when I could read the same information in 15 seconds.

Most of the kill X of Y quests are optional bonuses that require no questgiver. I found most of the quests interesting and well acted. In my OPINION.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by rickdt

I have been in beta for about a month and a half and i have to agree with the OP. SWTOR is a FANTASTIC BIOWARE RPG, i did not say MMORPG, but just an RPG. Its like playing a final fantasy game, play for 5min and then watch a cut scene for 20.  I'm glad I got to beta it as its not for me. I love star wars, just not this MMO.

Now I need to try and get into TSW beta.

Cutscene for 20 mins, please stop spewing BS. The cutscenes are here and there for a min or 2 after 30-60 mins of play. Try doing a few quests at a time, then go back. The cutscenes can be bypassed if you wish to. As I said this is the mentality thats driving me nuts in MMOs nowadays, you just worded it differntly, but you re still saying it slows you done from pl ing through levels.

Originally posted by lizardbones

...snip...

I would be willing to bet that it just wouldn't have occurred to anyone in the design process that there would be a significant number of people who would want to read a transcript of the quest giver's dialog before accepting a quest.

Yeah, the thing with the captions for the cutscenes was most likely done for the hearing impaired rather than for the readers.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

There have been a lot of dumb threads by the haters regarding this game, but this one may very well take the cake. If you don't like the voice acting, hit the f*****g space bar, people, particularly on the side quests.  You'll be missing out on some pretty cool quest lines, not all of which are standard quests, but at least you won't be able to bitch and moan about that as being the reason it's not an "mmorpg."  Btw, if this game isn't an mmorpg, then there are no mmorpgs.  Period. 

So many ignorant people spreading so much misinformation about this game, it's become ridiculous.  

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by marinrider

Or click the accept button in .5 seconds, my point exactly.