Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This doesn't look good.... need more hamsters!

YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Apparently Bioware/EA forgot to feed their hamsters, or just didn't put enough of them in their wheels.

The homepage of SWTOR is basically unavailable since yesterday, when they opened their beta for the wide public. This isn't actually a good sign and shows, that they haven't enough server-capacity to deal with the approx 2.5 million users (counted the people that signed up in the official forums).

I hope they get more hamsters until friday, or their stress-test will totally fail, as they can't even handle the stress on their homepage, which is connected to the same user-database.

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Got e mail, hit link, put in new security shit, updating, done. Wasn t hard for me anyways.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by Yalexy

Apparently Bioware/EA forgot to feed their hamsters, or just didn't put enough of them in their wheels.

The homepage of SWTOR is basically unavailable since yesterday, when they opened their beta for the wide public. This isn't actually a good sign and shows, that they haven't enough server-capacity to deal with the approx 2.5 million users (counted the people that signed up in the official forums).

I hope they get more hamsters until friday, or their stress-test will totally fail, as they can't even handle the stress on their homepage, which is connected to the same user-database.

Your hamster for reading the whole e-mail has gone on vacation. If you read the part on the bottom, it tells you about server maintanence.

Please stop with the "oh no the sky is falling" attitude.

• NeutorNeutor Member Posts: 101

Home page was up for me all day yesterday.  I downloaded the beta client for this weekend at 10 P.M. EST last night.  They had posted a sticky saying there would be extended maintenance today, did you happen to read the sticky?   

Join us dtguilds.com
  • jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

They're currently getting hammered so hard you get a que to even post. if you do even make it on. at some point they should have planned that 100s of thousands maybe even far more would be hitting thr site to d/l the client. bad planning if you ask me. also an issue with the client getting stuck on assets 4.

They should have planned far ahead in order to avoid getting nuked.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

They also said that their site would be down for a while so either you have to get in asap, or wait until they put their site back online.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

This is exactly what their stress test is for, so there's no need to panic.  This has nothing to do with game server capacity, it's all about web server capacity, the two are completely unrelated.

This is also why they're letting people into the game in waves, to make sure that they have enough capacity.

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102

If the SWTOR website is unavailable since yesterday, how do explain that i've been there several times today? stop making doom threads, they are doing maintenance in order to get the website ready for launch.

People complain about everything when it's comes to SWTOR and Bioware, incredible.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

copy and paste ftw :)

Please note that SWTOR.com will be undergoing maintenance from 6:00 PM CST on Monday, 11/21 until 6:00 AM CST on Tuesday, 11/22. During that time, you will not be able to visit the Game Tester Portal to accept your invitation. Please visit the website before or after this window to accept your invitation, and thank you for your understanding! 

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Not panicking just wanna get that out. yes it is available sometimes. i think they may be adjusting bandwidth to account for heavy traffic. i have been on the forums but currently in que to post :P So i'm get some tea and jack then watch some movies.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Apparently Bioware/EA forgot to feed their hamsters, or just didn't put enough of them in their wheels.The homepage of SWTOR is basically unavailable since yesterday, when they opened their beta for the wide public. This isn't actually a good sign and shows, that they haven't enough server-capacity to deal with the approx 2.5 million users (counted the people that signed up in the official forums).I hope they get more hamsters until friday, or their stress-test will totally fail, as they can't even handle the stress on their homepage, which is connected to the same user-database.

Seems to depend on what time of day you get there, and how often you hit the Refresh or Retry button. Once the actual game downloaded started, I experienced no issues.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

You bash SWTOR for busy forum servers. When they are about to have over a million people beta test their game.

Yet you rabidly defended that turd Earthrise that had its servers crushed by maybe a thousand people playing in beta and launch.

Lets try to put things in perspective here.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Atlan99

You bash SWTOR for busy forum servers. When they are about to have over a million people beta test their game.

Yet you rabidly defended that turd Earthrise that had its servers crushed by maybe a thousand people playing in beta and launch.

Lets try to put things in perspective here.

The SWTOR haters know no limits. ANYTHING they think they can use against the game, they try. Even the OP of this thread has failed to respond after being proven 100% wrong. 

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

They are busy yes but just leave it downloading overnight.  That is what I had to do and I was fully patched this morning ready for this weekend!!!!11!!

• LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member UncommonPosts: 49

I must have been lucky. It  took about 15 minutes of a lagging web-site, but I was allowed to update my questions straight away and as soon as the launcher re-checked one of my answers, the clients now downloading at a steady 5 MB/s  image

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Funny how people don't want to see the issues here.

It's 30 days from launch and not even the webservers can handle the amount of people. And yes, I read that there'll be maintenance, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the funny queue they put on their site, or the gazillion of timeouts you get while browsing the forums during the last two days.. outside of the maintenance-window!

Oh, and the guy who mentioned Earthrise.... when did you ever see me defending that POS of a game? It's quiet the opposite actually, and in that case noone wanted to listen aswell, when I was talking about the exact same issue.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Not true.  Their homepage was up all night last night, and I logged onto it a couple of times this morning.  It also happens to be up right now.  gg though.

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72

Funny how people don't want to see the issues here.

It's 30 days from launch and not even the webservers can handle the amount of people. And yes, I read that there'll be maintenance, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about the funny queue they put on their site, or the gazillion of timeouts you get while browsing the forums during the last two days.. outside of the maintenance-window!

Oh, and the guy who mentioned Earthrise.... when did you ever see me defending that POS of a game? It's quiet the opposite actually, and in that case noone wanted to listen aswell, when I was talking about the exact same issue.

Maybe you should have been around for the first week of WoW... Was a nightmare for the site and the game.... It's AAA MMO Launch 101..

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i was able to use the swtor site all day yesterday. I cant use community today. no offense but anyoen who read dev tracker knew the site was going down for mainainance today for extended time.

What u mean they actually do maintainance on there site and servers leading up to launch what are they thinking no they cant do that that makes them fail .

Really people get a grip 

The site was going down for maintainance and is down for that reason i had no issue downloading beta i had no issue posing or anything on the site yesterday at all. 

Also i went to site like 10 times yesterday spent a bunch fo tiem there guess how many ques and stuff i hit . wait for it wait for it zero.

• highvoltahighvolta Member UncommonPosts: 130

was just on the website. 

They put me in a queue to use the website for 7 seconds. Great idea rather than it just not working. 

Seems to be fine now. 

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444

Originally posted by highvolta

was just on the website. 

They put me in a queue to use the website for 7 seconds. Great idea rather than it just not working. 

Seems to be fine now. 

None of the links works on the website now.... something terrible wrong now. 

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Zenjinx

Your hamster for reading the whole e-mail has gone on vacation. If you read the part on the bottom, it tells you about server maintanence.

The OP has already formed an unjustified and unwarranted negative opinion and no amount of counterbalancing facts will ever change his opinion.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• IamEpitaphIamEpitaph Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

Originally posted by Zenjinx

The OP has already formed an unjustified and unwarranted negative opinion and no amount of counterbalancing facts will ever change his opinion.

If you followed up with the Dev's posts you would have noticed that yesterdays Maint. was delayed. And the main page and forums were fkd up all day. I was trying to read them all day, less than half the time I was actually able to connect with a page.

Although I downloaded the client 2 days ago, so that was no issue. The forums have been hammered for 2 days now, and yes today 11/22 is the Maint. day, as yesterday was posponed. But, as the OP said the forums have been pounded into submission, and the hamsters have all but died of exhaustion. I am hoping that today's Maint. is to increase the forum capacity for the future mass influx of people.