Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons to be hyped about GW2

ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

After watching the Top 10 Reasons to be interested in GW2 from Alexridiculous's Youtube channel for like the 100th time I am interested in hearing what everyones reasons for be hyped for GW2 are.  Doesnt have to be in order or be 10 reasons but its fun to hear what fellow enthusiasts have to say about the subject.

My reasons:

1. Active combat

2. No Holy Trinity

3. No Themepark style instanced raiding

4. Art direction is AWESOME

5. Arena Nets philosophy on MMO gaming matches mine more so then any other developer.  I cant wait to fork over my $$$ to them lol.

6. Open World, more so then ever a game comes about that promotes exploration and being in the world instead of in an instanced.

7. WvWvW a return to meaningful PvP made famous by DAoC's RvR.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
Waiting on: TESO
Next Flop: Planetside 2
Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Comments

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I don't have many reasons. Just one. And that is Anet. Having a developer that cares THIS much about it's players is just..rare.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

1. Active combat

*shrug* I've seen it before, many time. Not bad, but nothing actually new. Also, it's only partially active combat.

2. No Holy Trinity

I don't think it's what you think it is. There is still holy trinity, no doubt about it. It's just that pretty much anyone can play any part of holy trinity at any time.

Are we talking about same game here? There is plenty of instanced themepark group content there. There is no (I hope) gear grind, but that's the only difference...

In the eye of beholder. I'm not all that much enthralled. Not that it's bad, just nothing to piss my pants about.

5. Arena Nets philosophy on MMO gaming matches mine more so then any other developer.  I cant wait to fork over my $$$ to them lol.

Well, can't help here. A good psychiatrist, may be...

6. Open World, more so then ever a game comes about that promotes exploration and being in the world instead of in an instanced.

Yeah, that's a pretty nice part of the game. It's not fully open etc, but combined with DE, provides nice change (hopefully). Not a revolutionary change, but evolutionary.

I'll believe it when I'll see it. So far, I'm not particularly enthralled.

I'm buying the game, no doubt about it, and I'm optimistic about it, but you should somewhat lower your expectation and stop bubbling. You can only be disappointed if you rise them too high.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

-It's not on rail (you explore the world and see DE happening) ^^

-It's not a wow 2.0 reskin ^^

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

There is instanced raiding in GW2 the only difference is that you do not raid for gears with stats.

• ZenjinxZenjinx Member Posts: 328

I have no reason to be hyped by this game. Tired of fantasy. Same stuff over and over. The comments about not being WoW 2.0 are completely subjective. Some systems might differ, but it is still the same old same old fantasy.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

The Guardian profession.  I wants it.  It's my precioooussssssss.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Supersoups

There is instanced raiding in GW2 the only difference is that you do not raid for gears with stats.

Only raids I've seen/heard of were not organized.

Wonder if there is organized stuff that people are actually going to need teamspeak/vent to accomplish... hope not. :P

... or if there is, I hope everyone pugs them anyways.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Grahor

1. Active combat

*shrug* I've seen it before, many time. Not bad, but nothing actually new. Also, it's only partially active combat.

2. No Holy Trinity

I don't think it's what you think it is. There is still holy trinity, no doubt about it. It's just that pretty much anyone can play any part of holy trinity at any time.

Are we talking about same game here? There is plenty of instanced themepark group content there. There is no (I hope) gear grind, but that's the only difference...

In the eye of beholder. I'm not all that much enthralled. Not that it's bad, just nothing to piss my pants about.

Yeah, that's a pretty nice part of the game. It's not fully open etc, but combined with DE, provides nice change (hopefully). Not a revolutionary change, but evolutionary.

I'm buying the game, no doubt about it, and I'm optimistic about it, but you should somewhat lower your expectation and stop bubbling. You can only be disappointed if you rise them too high.

Thank you.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Grahor

1. Active combat

2. No Holy Trinity

I do encourage skepticism and reasonable expectations.  I think it's great that you're willing to give the game a try even with your doubts.  But with all due respect, I have to say that I think you're mistaken about a few points.

1) Active Combat:  I'm sure that other games have done active combat or some of the elements of this implementation, but this overall package is unique.  If you look at how this combat is different from the "WoW standard", there's actually a lot: casting on the move, dodging, skills hit whatever is in the area, downed state, anybody rez anybody mid combat, self heal, no ally targeted abilities,  limited skillbar, weapons determine skills, underwater skills, cross profession combos, no fixed roles.

2) No Holy Trinity:  People each have their own definition of what this means, so it's often hard to discuss it.  I would define it as there is a "trinity" of damage, tank and healing, that the "Holy Trinity" is when each person does one thing and one thing only and maximizes it with no hybridizing.

In GW2, that pure specialization will not exist.  Anyone can contribute any of these aspects based on build (example, a person who isn't being attacked in GW2 might still put a lot of effort into controlling the mob, unlike a Holy Trinity game where only the tank would).  Also, because of the limited skillbar, it's not true that all players will be able to do all the trinity aspects at the same time.  There's also no ally targeting, and heals are extremely weak (even your self heal isn't fantastic).  People who try to play this game like a Holy Trinity game (with 1 "tank", 1 "healer" and 3 dps) will certainly wipe.

3) No Themepark Style Raiding:  If we define raiding as instanced content with more than 5 people, then no, it doesn't exist in GW2.  Dungeon content has 5 people, and there are open world encounters which scale up to 100.  There's also no gear grind even in the dungeons.  You get a token on completion every time and it might only end up being a vanity upgrade (combining the skin of the item with the stats of your current gear by using a Transmutation Stone).

#6 is a little too open ended to get into, but I do think that if dynamic events just about 100% better than the current quest based leveling model.  Even if they don't turn out to be everything they're cracked up to be, they'll still certainly be a vast improvement over the current system.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

If you want to call instanced raiding with 4 others a raid then by all means do so, but in the normal themepark defenition of the term there is NO INSTANCED RAIDING.

You know the type that.....

1. with 24 others

2. set a schedule to play a game.

3. raid lockouts prohibit the time you can actually play

4. require preperation and setup

My perfect idea of raiding is in the GW2 sense of the word, the kind that happens impromptu and could happen at any time of the day and requires no organized "elitest" personality who lives his life in his mothers basement, or who is an OWS no job having drag on society.  I look forward to GW2's style of raiding and dungeon crawling with close friends.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Zylaxx

If you want to call instanced raiding with 4 others a raid then by all means do so, but in the normal themepark defenition of the term there is NO INSTANCED RAIDING.

1. with 24 others

My perfect idea of raiding is in the GW2 sense of the word, the kind that happens impromptu and could happen at any time of the day and requires no organized "elitest" personality who lives his life in his mothers basement, or who is an OWS no job having drag on society.  I look forward to GW2's style of raiding and dungeon crawling with close friends.

So, lack of endgame content.  Got it.  Thanks for the heads up.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Biggus99

1. with 24 others

So your idea of endgame content are instanced raids, got it. Thanks for the heads up.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

After watching the Top 10 Reasons to be interested in GW2 from Alexridiculous's Youtube channel for like the 100th time I am interested in hearing what everyones reasons for be hyped for GW2 are.  Doesnt have to be in order or be 10 reasons but its fun to hear what fellow enthusiasts have to say about the subject.

My reasons:

1. Active combat

2. No Holy Trinity

How the hell is this giant battleground "meaningful"?

It pulls you out of the normal game world, it has no effect on the real game world, you're fighting in some magical wonderland against alternate versions of your own people for no reason at all...   Sorry, but that's just lame. 

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

1. with 24 others

Raiding is the only possible endgame content? You're so narrow you could probably look through a keyhole with both eyes. Open your mind.

Raiding is the worst possible endgame content, at least in the current WoW-formula implementation that everyone has been copying and doing to death since later EQ. It's the definition of time sink / grind / artificial barrier put in place solely to keep players paying a monthly fee in between expansions by giving them the illusion of progression.

GW2's endgame is going to be dramatically better than anything that's come before...because they are focusing on allowing players to continue playing the game the way the have throughout the leveling process. There's a tremendous amount of replayability, and great PvP as well. Add to all that the focus on real social play and building a server-wide community rather than running players into small cliques and spoon-feeding them content...and you have a recipe for legit longevity rather than the shallow grind we've been getting for so long.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

1. with 24 others

Don't call it raid then call it 4 man but it is still instanced dungeon.

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

Originally posted by Fozzik

1. with 24 others

Raiding is the only possible endgame content? You're so narrow you could probably look through a keyhole with both eyes. Open your mind.

Raiding is the worst possible endgame content, at least in the current WoW-formula implementation that everyone has been copying and doing to death since later EQ. It's the definition of time sink / grind / artificial barrier put in place solely to keep players paying a monthly fee in between expansions by giving them the illusion of progression.

GW2's endgame is going to be dramatically better than anything that's come before...because they are focusing on allowing players to continue playing the game the way the have throughout the leveling process. There's a tremendous amount of replayability, and great PvP as well. Add to all that the focus on real social play and building a server-wide community rather than running players into small cliques and spoon-feeding them content...and you have a recipe for legit longevity rather than the shallow grind we've been getting for so long.

Raiding is the worst possible endgame content... FOR YOU.  That's what so many people seem to overlook.  As it turns out, a lot of people really enjoy raiding (I'm not one of them).  Just like there's a lot of people who enjoy being healers and tanks. 

{mod edit}

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

1.  Combat that works on physics.  Getting in the water changes your spells, shooting an arrow through your friend's wall of fire turns them into fire arrows, etc.

2.  Dynamic content that cascades throughout a zone and scales with difficulty based on how many players are on that dynamic event at the time. 

3.  Personal story with variations on replayability based on race and choices.

4.  Dungeons with tons of replay value by giving story modes, explore modes, hard modes, and so on.

5.  Collectables mini games.  So far all I know of are collecting dye for armor.

6.  Dying of armor.

7.  Awesome graphics and MUSIC by the man, Jeremy Soule.

8.  Open world that feels open and not tunneling at every other turn.

9.  New graded leveling curve, really want to see how this affects an MMORPG with levels.  For me, level pacing in games with levels is where the tire meets the road and is so essential to a nice gameplay flow.  That and character feedback.

Those are my big draws that I can think of right now.  After watching 2hours of non stop non commenator gameplay I was enthralled.  And that just by WATCHING.  Can't even imagine how playing is going to be, just know it will be fantastic.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

1. with 24 others

There's a video discussing the this supposed lack of endgame content, GW2 will have. You should check it out.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by cali59

2) No Holy Trinity:  People each have their own definition of what this means, so it's often hard to discuss it.  I would define it as there is a "trinity" of damage, tank and healing, that the "Holy Trinity" is when each person does one thing and one thing only and maximizes it with no hybridizing.

I think it's important to make a distinction here, there is a trinity, it's not the holy trinity of tank, heal and damage, it's a trinity of control, heal and damage, Everyone will be expected to utilise control skills, whether that's a necro with fear or an engineer with a sticky bomb, tanking can and will happen but it won't be the only means of control. Looking at the necro with its life stealing skills and high life bar, it should be able to do some tanking but likely not play that role throughout a difficult encounter, other classes will need to provide relief by either taking up a tanking type role or by using control skills to knockback, fear or stun the mob, control will be the key, not just tanking.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Mostly waiting to see how the dynamic events end up, looks awesome on paper. The game also looks good, I like the art style and overall graphics, I hope to see similar weather effects like in Skyrim, the chilling snow storms :) Combat seems fun, I'm not a fan of every wizard and full plate warrior dodge rolling in every direction like some b-grade hollywood action movie stars, but other than that it looks really nice.

I dont agree with many of Anets design choises or "improvements" (mandatory dodge on every class, teleporting everywhere, no mounts, and a handful of others that may end up positive or negative but needs testing first like no trinity, no friendly targeted spells, smells a bit like console porting to make it simple enough for gamepad play) but overall the game seems to be shaping up to be simply awesome, decorated with win and spiced up with some tears of joy, and no doubt will be in the top 5 of mmorpgs when it's out.

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

Raiding is the worst possible endgame content... FOR YOU.  That's what so many people seem to overlook.  As it turns out, a lot of people really enjoy raiding (I'm not one of them).  Just like there's a lot of people who enjoy being healers and tanks. 
    You know SHIT about GW2's endgame, all you have is marketing hype and promises, but you're just sucking it up and spewing it forth as gospel.  It's sad, really.

Then you know less than shit about GW2's endgame...because at least I'm informed on the information they've released and discussed at great length. You are either totally ignorant, or just intentionally being obtuse to start arguments. My money's on the latter.

No game is for everyone. GW2 will offer several options for people who enjoy raiding, but if it happens to be a person who likes ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in endgame other than tiered gear grinding in 24-man instances...this isn't the game for them, and there's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of clones of the formula out there for people who want that.

All I was pointing out was that to say there will be NO ENDGAME simply because there is no raiding is an extremely (should I say intentionally) narrow point of view.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Originally posted by DJJazzy

1. with 24 others

So your idea of endgame content are instanced raids, got it. Thanks for the heads up.

jazzy, you forgot, "we dont care" ;)

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by EvilGeek

I think it's important to make a distinction here, there is a trinity, it's not the holy trinity of tank, heal and damage, it's a trinity of control, heal and damage, Everyone will be expected to utilise control skills, whether that's a necro with fear or an engineer with a sticky bomb, tanking can and will happen but it won't be the only means of control. Looking at the necro with its life stealing skills and high life bar, it should be able to do some tanking but likely not play that role throughout a difficult encounter, other classes will need to provide relief by either taking up a tanking type role or by using control skills to knockback, fear or stun the mob, control will be the key, not just tanking.

Thanks for the clarification.  I was deliberately using WoW terminology.  I truly believe that you can have a game like that which doesn't have Holy Trinity.  Like you might want a warrior to tank because they're the best, but you could have a rogue tanking but then your shaman has to help your cleric with a little offhealing.  Once you get to harder content and power creep with gear sets in, roles become much more specialized and people get forced into one role and one role only.

Based on the firsthand experiences of this guy, who actually completed an explorable mode dungeon (3+ hour wipefest) I'd say the system is even more flexible than you describe.  It's not necessarily that everyone needs to provide control, it's that what happens will entirely depend on the encounter. 

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805904&postcount=36

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805995&postcount=42

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Thanks for the clarification.  I was deliberately using WoW terminology.  I truly believe that you can have a game like that which doesn't have Holy Trinity.  Like you might want a warrior to tank because they're the best, but you could have a rogue tanking but then your shaman has to help your cleric with a little offhealing.  Once you get to harder content and power creep with gear sets in, roles become much more specialized and people get forced into one role and one role only.
    Based on the firsthand experiences of this guy, who actually completed an explorable mode dungeon (3+ hour wipefest) I'd say the system is even more flexible than you describe.  It's not necessarily that everyone needs to provide control, it's that what happens will entirely depend on the encounter. 
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805904&postcount=36
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805995&postcount=42

Great links, really showed how the old trinity is defunct and detrimental to play in GW2.

I slipped in to the wow terminology myself, I didn't change heal for support in my example.

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

How the hell is this giant battleground "meaningful"?
    It pulls you out of the normal game world, it has no effect on the real game world, you're fighting in some magical wonderland against alternate versions of your own people for no reason at all...   Sorry, but that's just lame. 

Although I know you just post these things in order to start arguments, there's at least some chance that others might benefit from some accurate info, so I'll try to help.

The mists don't "pull you out" of anything. You choose to go take part in the WvWvW content any time you want, it's continuous, and you can go back and forth any time you want.

It does actually have effects on the "real" game world (I'm guessing you mean the PvE game world when you say "real"...since I'm not sure why one zone is more "real" than another in your mind). Servers will receive buffs and benefits from winning the two-week matches in WvWvW...that's a direct effect on the PvE game world.

Fighting in some magical wonderland? It's just some zones which are a different part of the world, or a different part of the history of the world.

When you say fighting against "alternate versions" of your own people...are you perhaps thinking about the competitive PvP where all players are automatically scaled to max with full armor, weapons, and skills to create a level playing field? In WvWvW, you bring your character, you have your own armor, weapons, and skills. It's not an alternate version of your character at all.