Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My opinion, you can call it a wake up call

Comments

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

I believe the best thing we can all do is try each game and judge for ourselves.

I don't want to bash SWTOR, but I personally feel similarly to the OP.  After playing WoW and Rift I'm craving something which is simply different more than anything.  I played the SWTOR beta for 10+ hours and it just wasn't for me.

But who am I to judge what someone else should or shouldn't like?  Or tell them they shouldn't be having fun if they are?

All I ask is that people give each game a fair chance.  And by each game I don't just mean TOR and I don't just mean GW2.  I mean Archeage, TSW, Firefall and whatever else is coming out down the line.  You can't look at a video and make an informed decision.   You have to get into the game and decide with firsthand experience.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• felyxfelyx Member UncommonPosts: 34

Originally posted by Narcin1

Oh! And if you're thinking that Tera, Archeage, and GW2 are going to be soooo different, you will eat those words.  Do some digging. You'll see what I am talking about. You seem like one of those guys who watches a trailer and gets overly psyched about a game.

I am one of those guys who watches the trailer, than the next one, than some more gameplay videos every time I can, then tries the game, looking for those things that gets me hooked, if it does, giving the game every chance possible. Please do not act like you know me, that goes for everyone who think he knows "my type of poster". There is a reason why you dont see me posting on the forum a lot, I do not like to flame ppl, troll, post bs, or post for no reason. This time however I just couldnt stand ppl hyping a game thats the same as the 20 other mmos before, meanwhile bashing Wow and the rest of the mmos before it when SWTOR is just the same as those games.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by ELE3551

Wall of text

Your paragraph structure is nearly as muddled as GW2's combat system.

There, that should kick this thread into high gear.   

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

Originally posted by zigmund

imo SWTOR and Rift did barely enough to just say their different.

I will play SWTOR for as long as I played Rift - about a month.

As long as players accept this kind of dull unimaginative same old same old - that's what we will continue to get from game developers.

+1 cookie for you sir

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Originally posted by felyx

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Last but not least, if you want something new, wait for TERA, GW2, or even Archage, at least those games offer something new, but keep in mind I am not trying to say that those games will be better for sure, all I am saying is that those game really showed something different than Wow..

Your agenda is showing.

Theres no agenda, just comparison. By the way I knew someone will say that, but easy to misunderstand what I said there. I mentioned more games for a reason, so none can say that I am advertising any game and I mentioned those games since they have something new to offer.

So how do you know they have something new to offer? You played them yet? The reason I say this is that when you got excited about SWTOR, you said you basically went looking for everything you could find on it. Did you not see the same thing in swtor as you did in those "other" mmo's that showed so much promise? If so, why would you even dare to say that they are going to have something new to offer, especially after you just "supposedly" got your bubble burst by getting to see swtor first hand? Seriously, I am not really trying to bust your chops on this but you act like you want people to take you serious but then you turned around and say that these other games are going to be new and refreshing and what not. Agenda? maybe, maybe not, but being taken seriously after that, I doubt it. Its perfectly fine to not like a game and to be disapointed that it doesn't live up your expectations but you probably should have stopped there.

Just check the features they offer, compare it with swtor's or even wow's features. If you dont see the difference what I did, I cant help you.

But here are some interesting stuff, just a couple:

- TERA: combat system, politics...

- GW2: WvWvW pvp; dynamic events already a couple of hundred and they will get more; unique classes since theres no such thing in that game as tank or healer or just dps; destroyable environment that actually means something since you can open up new ways to go on; actually seeing what the quest says not just reading it and so much more...

- Archage: housing, building boats...

I dare to say they are goint to have something new.

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Narcin1

Oh! And if you're thinking that Tera, Archeage, and GW2 are going to be soooo different, you will eat those words.  Do some digging. You'll see what I am talking about. You seem like one of those guys who watches a trailer and gets overly psyched about a game.

I am one of those guys who watches the trailer, than the next one, than some more gameplay videos every time I can, then tries the game, looking for those things that gets me hooked, if it does, giving the game every chance possible. Please do not act like you know me, that goes for everyone who think he knows "my type of poster". There is a reason why you dont see me posting on the forum a lot, I do not like to flame ppl, troll, post bs, or post for no reason. This time however I just couldnt stand ppl hyping a game thats the same as the 20 other mmos before, meanwhile bashing Wow and the rest of the mmos before it when SWTOR is just the same as those games.

I agree with everything you said here and in your Post. I am waiting on Tera too tbh. SWTOR might be polished and entertaining but... playing another WOW is out of the question for me, i want something Different in some way. Example is Tera's combat. Sure it might be "Asian"(as if that is a bad thing, take a look at lineage2 and Aion) it still has a very nice looking Combat system and i watched some videos of the KR version and i can say that it has AMAZING graphics even better than GW2 and possibly the best of 2012 for MMORPG. I really want those games to be sucessful because it is the only way those developers are going to move away from games similar to WOW.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

- GW2: ...dynamic events already a couple of hundred...

a couple of hundred...1500...same thing I guess.

research is your friend in this case.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

Originally posted by fony

all reason has gone out the window pal. good luck to you, you're gonna need this  http://www.co.benton.ar.us/Media/Image/FireMarshal/FlameShield.png

Nice one lol, I laughed a bit when I saw this. Anyways I do not get offended by the offensive replies, I expected them. Some ppl agree with me some doesnt, not my problem if they cant reply in a civilised fashion.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Last but not least, if you want something new, wait for TERA, GW2, or even Archage, at least those games offer something new, but keep in mind I am not trying to say that those games will be better for sure, all I am saying is that those game really showed something different than Wow..

Your agenda is showing.

Theres no agenda, just comparison. By the way I knew someone will say that, but easy to misunderstand what I said there. I mentioned more games for a reason, so none can say that I am advertising any game and I mentioned those games since they have something new to offer.

So how do you know they have something new to offer? You played them yet? The reason I say this is that when you got excited about SWTOR, you said you basically went looking for everything you could find on it. Did you not see the same thing in swtor as you did in those "other" mmo's that showed so much promise? If so, why would you even dare to say that they are going to have something new to offer, especially after you just "supposedly" got your bubble burst by getting to see swtor first hand? Seriously, I am not really trying to bust your chops on this but you act like you want people to take you serious but then you turned around and say that these other games are going to be new and refreshing and what not. Agenda? maybe, maybe not, but being taken seriously after that, I doubt it. Its perfectly fine to not like a game and to be disapointed that it doesn't live up your expectations but you probably should have stopped there.

Just check the features they offer, compare it with swtor's or even wow's features. If you dont see the difference what I did, I cant help you.

But here are some interesting stuff, just a couple:

- TERA: combat system, politics...

- GW2: WvWvW pvp; dynamic events already a couple of hundred and they will get more; unique classes since theres no such thing in that game as tank or healer or just dps; destroyable environment that actually means something since you can open up new ways to go on; actually seeing what the quest says not just reading it and so much more...

- Archage: housing, building boats...

I dare to say they are goint to have something new.

You just missed the point completely, didn't you. The point is, just because they say its going to be different, doesn't mean its going to be different or even fun.

-Tera, combat system (look how well the new combat system worked out for age of conan)

-Tera politics- Look how well that worked out in star wars galaxies and vanguard.

GW2- WvWvW. Dark age of camelot, RvRvR. It was actually fun till they learned steamrolling was the only way to actually rvr.

GW2- Environment.  DC universe online and champions online both have breaking environments, not really new now is it? And DC also has a similar feature with exploring.

Archage, Pretty much most mmo's have housing. Vanguard again had pretty close the same style of building houses and of course vanguard also allowed you to build boats. So not anything new here. Are you sure you have played other mmo's besides wow? I am just asking because what you are saying is going to be new and exciting, does not sound new to me. Sure they may have 1 or 2 little things that may be done differently but is it really enough for you to shout to the rooftops that they are going to be the next big thing?

So again, what is really new here? Your talking about asian ports (for the most part) and every single asian port has been a disappointment because if there is one thing that they can not avoid, its the fact that THEY love to grind like nobodies tomorrow. Not here in the states, people hate that crap. And no matter how much they try to sugar coat it, they are much more of a grind fest then anything ever made in the US, EVEN after they have tried to tone it down for us. Sorry, I just dont see it, But I do wish you well in those new games and I honestly do hope you find them more to your taste.

Edit note: One other thing I want to add. Graphics. Yes it is important to a lot of people but it is also a fine line that not a lot get right. Look at EQ2 when it first came out, at that time there wasn't many computers that could even run it at full settings and a lot of people had to settle for very bland environments. Vanguard is another fine example. Absolutely beautiful world but most people couldn't run it. Conan is another fine example of a great world but was to much for a lot of peoples computers. Very few companies that go full on blow your mind graphics always seem to not do well and that is because when you have to play on the lower settings, the game usually looks like crap. So there is a fine line they have to walk with how well the graphics are and just how many can play the game.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

No thanks OP, don't need a wake up call. 

I've been playing this game extensively for a long time, and I love it. So I'll pass on the wake up call. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I'm still trying to figure out who the OP thinks he is convincing with his argument.  If we played SWTOR already, and loved it, does he still expect to change our minds?  

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i tried this game out and i lvoed it. so i disagree. its not a wow clone to me. Fast travel is like wows fps ill admit so what. it makes getting around much easier once u have gotten all the ffast travel options. i will say there fast travel options are alot closer then wows fps used to be.

I have played wow for 6 yrs and i saw alot of diffrences then wow also. No auto attack yoru basic attack doing 4-5 moves, the fact is that while the mechanics are similar and the combat is similar in that it uses action bars and cds and resources to use moves there are enough diffrences to make it feel diffrent.

im not saying tor reinvented combat or the basic mechanics of mmos far from it they used what wasnt broken and have a smooth playing game because of it. The story and the choices though are somethign ive never seen in another mmo.

Ive never been so immersed in the guy i was playing before and to tell the truth i liked the things that were similar made it so much easier to get in and play.

Of course having tried lotro, aoc, champions online, runes of magic , perfect world , forskaen world, warhammer , guild wars 1 the list goes on . I can say combat and mechanics are lotro, or runes of magic or u get the picture clones. 

the truth is tor uses alot of basic mmo staples in combat and mechanics. i knew that going it its ne of the reason i really wanted to play it that and bioware story , companions and choice. 

Oh and companions arent just pets before that argument starts.  They have alot mroe going for them in terms of personality and they are fleshed out as a full fledged character u play with. 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Biggus99

I'm still trying to figure out who the OP thinks he is convincing with his argument.  If we played SWTOR already, and loved it, does he still expect to change our minds?  

You know that deep down you don't want to play it. You want to make posts about how everyone that likes it is wrong and this game will be f2p in six weeks after everybody has a wake up call!!

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

" jedi mind trick on all tor lovers" This game sucks u dont want to play i hated it so u have to hate it also If u dont hate this game your brain will melt and u will die a horrid horrid death hah hah hah

U must play gw 2 and no other game if u try i will come to your house and kill u lol 

See thats what they are trying to do to u. Watch out those jedi mind tricks really do work.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Teh, waking up humans... nice idea.

SWTOR is the next WOW! The cure for cancer and the coming of Christ! Haven't you heard?!

"Humans rather fall to a big lie than a small one."

- well known German dictator

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

likeing tor doesnt mean we think any of those things eilkal andi find them insulting to be truthful. I just love the game i had a lot of fun playing in beta 

I didnt find it a wow clone. it had similarites yes but it had enough diffrences that it felt like a game of its own it didnt feel like wow to me. 

thats me though i admith it has similar familar mechanics and i admit there nothing really innovative in there combat or mechanics. in fact i didnt think those were broken in mmos . I just thought some mmos didnt put out a polished product with enough content to keep people playing.

I dont think using tried adn true mechanics and combat is a bad thing. And the story and choices to me made a big diffrence. 

that doesnt mean i think tor will cure cancer is the next wow or any of those things. I just think this game will have a huge launch with all the pre orders they have and the majority will stick past the 6 month mark if bioware puts out new content fast enough. 

its a fun interesting game i wanan take my time playing and enjoying and im gonjna play all the classes to experiance there choices and story. 

u dont have to like tor i coudl care less if u do but i dont think its a wow clone in my opinion it isnt. im allowed to have a diffrent opinion if i want one. i dont expect u or anyone else to agree with me this is just my view. 

• Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by azmundai

Your agenda is showing.

funny that you think someone thats been here since 08 and has 9 total posts has an agenda .. for or against .. anything. Tinfoil hat much?

Not at all. But when you've seen this exact type of post over and over in this forum, ending with "oh, by the way, this other game is going to be totally different and much better", it doesn't take rocket science to see the ulterior motive.

And most of these people have never even PLAYED SWTOR. They are just spouting the same cries of "OMG WOW CLONE" that they have been reciting since the game was announced.

Calling a spade a spade here. 

not hard to see the gameplay. youtube.com search for SWTOR. I'm just going to say if you want something different than wow, don't buy it.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

i watched videos and tested the game as well and i love it and still plan to buy it and alo wil play for years not a month. those dont like it fine but theres still millions who will buy it and really if star wars galaxies can run on life support for over 7 years then i expect this game to be here in 8 years. you dont like swtor i'm sorry it happens but hate posts like these will not sway players and certainly not me. peace out brother.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

TC convinced me! yo i am cancelling my TOR pre-order right now! seriously man if you think Themepark games was "going out of style" then how come most played MMOs are themepark? (WoW, LoTR, Rift, Aion,etc). ToR is getting good word from almost everywhere. It even converted many "haters" into "lovers." The game is showing promise and probably will end up being very successful. 

As for you TC find another game to play till one of the games you like comes out? Besides that what else can you do? complain about games that you thought will fit your liking but turned out it wasnt? oh wait you are doing that already.Seriously i love these "the game doesn't meet my criteria so it must be a bad game and everyone will agree with me" ideal. 

Feel the hate haters. Let the hate flow through you. It is the only way to the dark side of the force. 

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Graphics can be upgraded before release... beta is beta after all. They still have bugs and fixes to work out.

But the OP still has a point... the systems for the game seem a little bit cloned with a few changes. It just feels like "that other game" to me when I'm playing for more than a few hours... but I'm not here for different. I'm just here for fun and a new MMO to latch onto. The story interaction alone could keep me playing for hours at a time... I immagine the endgame content won't keep me for long, though -- just like "that other game" and its clone.

That said... you won't find me on TOR for weeks or even months once GW2 releases, and that's a fact. SW:TOR is just that filler game I'm using until something else more worthwhile comes around.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Originally posted by dpcollier128

Graphics can be upgraded before release... beta is beta after all. They still have bugs and fixes to work out.

But the OP still has a point... the systems for the game seem a little bit cloaned with a few changes. It just feels like that other game to me when I'm playing for more than a few hours... but I'm not here for different. I'm just here for fun and a new MMO to latch onto.

That said... you won't find me on TOR for weeks or even months once GW2 releases, and that's a fact. SW:TOR is just that filler game I'm using until something else more worthwhile comes around.

To each their own, man.

I'll stick with tride and true, you can have the innovation.

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

i been playing WoW since 2007 and still love it. i love lotro as well. but what WoW and lotro lack is......i'm star wars fan. star wars and theme park style=pure heaven for me

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Hahahah..funny post. A wake up call....errr ok?

• yumpinyiminiyumpinyimini Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Bramickias

SWTOR is pretty much ALL about the story. If you are skipping conversations on your characters becasue you need to kill more stuff, this just isnt the MMO for you. I'm not even sure i'll care about the endgame pve or pvp unless theres quite a lot of personnal story involved. If i wanted to play hit the pinata, i'd still be playing WoW or Rift. I want to care about something else then my latest 2hands sword on my character and for what i've played in last weekend beta, SWTOR delivers.

^Exactly! image

This discussion has been closed.