Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the 12 days download...

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

BW can use Pando Media as they help people with slow connection to DL faster.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Took me 4 hours... time to get better internet.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ShadowMajereShadowMajere Member UncommonPosts: 20

Not even interested in Getting TOR, But I am kinda Itching to see what my Verizon Fios 150MB/35MB connection would download at :P BTW New York USA for Location :)   Fiber Optic The only way to connect lol, can't believe back in the day I had a 28.8KB connection :P BTW Tech heads, found a Reciept for a Sony CRX I purchased back in 2000, 105 bucks, to think I can get a DVD-RW with Lightscribe now for 19 bucks is amusing at the least

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm getting 2.6MB/s on my FiOS.  Perhaps your DSL sucks.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

Very happy here as I was expecting snails pace for the download and yet only took me 5 hours so not too bad :)

I'm in perth western australia

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by ShadowMajere

Not even interested in Getting TOR, But I am kinda Itching to see what my Verizon Fios 150MB/35MB connection would download at :P BTW New York USA for Location :)   Fiber Optic The only way to connect lol, can't believe back in the day I had a 28.8KB connection :P BTW Tech heads, found a Reciept for a Sony CRX I purchased back in 2000, 105 bucks, to think I can get a DVD-RW with Lightscribe now for 19 bucks is amusing at the least

I have FiOS too, and even though I work in the computer/internet industry, I have never needed that much bandwidth.  In fact, 99% of the sites and services online rate limit you on their end anyway, so unless you are on some VPN connection where you use it for large file transfers, I wonder how you would even dent it.  Most medium-sized businesses don't need that much bandwidth. Cool if you want the bragging rights of paying for it, I guess.

Oh, and Verizon rate limits P2P/Torrent as well.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Downloaded the full client in 3 hours from Israel here. And my internet isn't even THAT good.

Seems like your isp could do better, OP.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

Originally posted by Biggus99

I blame this on Bioware.  Why they didn't account for people who would be using the internet version of two tin cans connected by a string is beyond me.  For shame, Bioware.  For shame.

Made me smile.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I can't download it at all... damn Bioware, where is the love for the Amish?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I was doing some math having not read this thread, and I calculated some rough numbers without using calculators. If I was to download the game at around 1000 kb sec I could download 10 gigbytes in 3 hours, but i only download at around 600kb so it will take me a bit longer, around 11 hours for 20 gbs.   If you take my 500kb or so, and make that into 150kbs thats around 37 hours or so if you spike a bit higher, day and half...

Either way theres no reason you shouldnt be able to start playing 10 oclock AM central standard time on friday if you started your download already. 

There is also download accelerate software, but here is a trick you can try, the video is horrible but if you expand it you can kinda make out whats going on, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuSEObU7Als.  Heres a more legiable video with the same thing ,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFqfJ2TOwM&feature=fvwrel.  I havent tested it tho cause my speed is fine.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

If it takes more than four days to download, it's time to get a better connection.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Easy download, if you can mannage to get past their ridiculous authentication process and account lockouts.

Seriously, how can you botch up something so basic?

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Quesa

Easy download, if you can mannage to get past their ridiculous authentication process and account lockouts.

Seriously, how can you botch up something so basic?

Perhaps because making ANY changes in software can have wide ranging repercussions.  MMO's and websites (and this site/game seems to be closely linked from the problems I have seen) tend to be especially bad about it since the code is always evolving.

Personally though, I had no problems with the authentication process, while a friend did.  Maybe because I had already fixed my password and security questions and he had not yet.  Not saying that is the problem, but I have talked to five other people that have seen similar things happening now with them and their friends. 

As for the OP, I agree Elikal, there is no way BioWare should make you download the ENTIRE game in order to play it for this beta weekend.  Let's start a protest facebook page and demand that we only have to download every 5th line of code instead, or maybe just the weapons animations but not the character animations, or maybe just the story lines but not the world art.  That seems reasonable enough.  Shame on this company for LETTING you try the game for free!

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432

Authentication, at least simple and basic encrypted authentication, is one of the first things you learn as a developer.  The authentication back-end is usually accessed through a single pipe for security, it's not like the code is cloned for uses in multiple areas.

Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It took me 1 hour to download.  

I know because I posted on facebook when it was starting and when it began installing. One of the guys posting in the thread also was having some trouble with long download time, but I don't know what kind of connection he had.  I have a pretty good broadband connection with Comcast.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

UK here & took me a couple hours on my 10mb connection, most of it was at 1.1mb/s but the throttling kicked in which slowed it down.

If it takes you 12 days it's time to get a decent isp.

• TullyxoxTullyxox Member Posts: 45

Thank you OP.

My internet package was 15MB download and 1MP up.  Was ok and due to I live on the Big Island of Hawaii I thought I could not get better.  So your post made me call them.  What i have was the fastest they had when I bought three years ago.  So now they have 50MB download and 5MB up.  Wow it was like christmas came early.  Thanks you for posting.  Sorry for your bad luck, but i hope you can feel my happyness. 

Mahalo

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by Quesa

Authentication, at least simple and basic encrypted authentication, is one of the first things you learn as a developer.  The authentication back-end is usually accessed through a single pipe for security, it's not like the code is cloned for uses in multiple areas.

It is also something this company JUST upgraded recently.  I'm not saying the bug wouldn't be annoying, but it IS understandable.  Now if they are still having this problem two months from now, then I probably will not be playing this game for long since I value the security of my private information, but until then I will assume they are not like SONY and trying to give my information away through incompetence and neglect.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i donwloaded it in less then 2 hrs. i didnt have any issues. with download speeds or anything.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Let's make the graphics so dull that people with ancient cards can play the game, but make the download so large people need to have the latest and greatest ISP.

^This is EA.... This is SWTOR.... get used to it.

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

lol 12 days, i hope ur not using a dailup connection ^^

i dont want to brag but with my 50 Mbit connection i DL at max 5.7MB/s

so if im not mistaking it will take me less then a hour if i got that speed

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

I was on 56K until 2006, waiting a week for a download is no big deal, but thankfully awhile back I managed to get 24/4 cable in my area so I could download the client in an hour, if it would let me login to even begin patching.

-_-

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Boudewijns

lol 12 days, i hope ur not using a dailup connection ^^

i dont want to brag but with my 50 Mbit connection i DL at max 5.7MB/s

so if im not mistaking it will take me less then a hour if i got that speed

I have a 40Mb up/down and I'm getting around 1.72Mb/Sec at the moment. Not too bad. Last time, I was getting around 5.5. 

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by BattlesA

I am thinking that some people need to get with the times and upgrade their ISP.  MMO's are not going decrease in size and memory usage anytime soon as technology advances. 

Did you even read what I posted?

For all who claim 3 days. Use this: http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php

Type 14 GB, 128 kbs = 10 Days 20 Hours 58 Minutes 44.1 Seconds

And I DON'T blame Bioware! Well, maybe a bit for not allowing the download earlier. AS I SAID THEY SHOULD, because not everyone lives in Internet Wonderland!

Your from germany ? , a country thats a member of EU, i am pretty sure german telekom doesn't have monopoly on the internet in Germany, i can't be bothered to look it up at 7:30 am in the morning, but i will do it later today.

And i can swear since i live in Denmark, and my girlfriend is from Poland which is a shitty fucking country compared to Germany, and she had 10mbit DSL in the city she lived in.

Either move out of your shed in the middle of fucking no where or get a job

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

Originally posted by Razeron

I was on 56K until 2006, waiting a week for a download is no big deal, but thankfully awhile back I managed to get 24/4 cable in my area so I could download the client in an hour, if it would let me login to even begin patching.

-_-

I had the problem too, I just went to my account, made the 5 security questions and was able to download. If that doesn't work, just exit program, go back in and retry, do that over and over and it will let you in eventually.

To OP: I doubt it will take 12 days, I have a horrible internet and it took 3 days to download 25gb of some other game. You might want to restart your modem, I did that and my internet speed doubled.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale