Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the 12 days download...

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I have DSL 2000, an acutal download rate of currently 120 kb/s. Due to the download calculator I used, this 16 GB download takes 296 hours time. 12 days.

Welcome not to beta.

Your move.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Mine downloaded pretty quick, all things considered.  Started downloading, went to work, done by the time i got back.  Not tht unusual for this type of game I think.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DM19DM19 Member UncommonPosts: 122

Time to find a better ISP?

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Originally posted by Elikal

I have DSL 2000, an acutal download rate of currently 120 kb/s. Due to the download calculator I used, this 16 GB download takes 296 hours time. 12 days.

Welcome not to beta.

Your move.

Spend more time calculating and less time whining. Your numbers are way off and even if they were accurate it's your fault for not upgrading your internet. Not  Bioware's for not insuring that the all important Eikal can play the beta.

It's closer to 40 hours.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Totally subjective, 2.5 hours comcast in Chicago.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I blame this on Bioware.  Why they didn't account for people who would be using the internet version of two tin cans connected by a string is beyond me.  For shame, Bioware.  For shame.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Are we talking about patch or the download? The game downloaded pretty quickly for me.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Biggus99

I blame this on Bioware.  Why they didn't account for people who would be using the internet version of two tin cans connected by a string is beyond me.  For shame, Bioware.  For shame.

This made me laugh more than it should have. Well done good sir.

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Welcome not to beta.

Your move.

I am getting 1.2 Mb rate, I guess my move is first?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by DM19

Not possible. Here we have a monopoly for the cables on "German Telekom". There IS no alternative. Another provider would have to loan Telekom cables, which are limited to this.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

Pretty quick for me too 3.4mb/s  to 5mb/s going  up and down  Going take a couple of minute

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

time to get some better internet, downloading here at 3.11 mb/sec, should be done in acouple of hours. 

Stop cheaping out  and stop complaining

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Also, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I don't really think my question warrants an entirely new thread.  But did I read it correctly that they are using a tiered system for the weekend testing where one group gets to start at 10am on Friday, one group gets to start 10Am on  Sat, and one gets to start 10am on Sunday?  If this is the case, then some people won't get long at all to try it out.  Maybe I just misunderstood the announcement.

Originally posted by voltt

time to get some better internet, downloading here at 3.11 mb/sec, should be done in acouple of hours. 

Stop cheaping out  and stop complaining

GAH, do you think I am dense? If there WAS a better internet here, I would have chosen it LONG AGO! But there isn't! Germany has a monopoly company which owns all cables. And they, having a monopoly, see of course no reason to give people better connections.

Fun. :(

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

Originally posted by DM19

Not possible. Here we have a monopoly for the cables on "German Telekom". There IS no alternative. Another provider would have to loan Telekom cables, which are limited to this.

Yeah, was going to side with you Elikal. Some folks really don't have all that many options for an ISP. I know I got two. My slow ass dsl, or I can go cable. But I don't want to wait around from 9am to 530pm for the cable guy to come out and install my service, and I am actually fairly happy with my DSL right now.

think it took me three days to get the full download. No big deal for me, really. 

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It took me 4 days to download with my computer on full time for the beta event a couple of weekends ago. The patcher actually crashed out twice.

I can't blame Bioware for me living out in the sticks with a radio ISP that struggles to do 3Mb on a clear day with no one else connected. My other options are satellite (and 4kms latency and ~5G download cap), cellular (1.5kms latency, and 4G download cap), or VPN dialup to my office (umm.. 56k).

But I can blame Bioware for making me download 18G+ of voice acting files that I will in no reasonable way, shape, or manner access in a Beta weekend, that could be easily streamed in the background after a much smaller initial download, or could be opted out of entirely for just summary text for a fraction of the size.

ArenaNet can do it well. Even Blizzard can make an incremental downloader once they finally got enough inertia to do so. I don't know why this can't be the standard today.

• BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26

I am thinking that some people need to get with the times and upgrade their ISP.  MMO's are not going decrease in size and memory usage anytime soon as technology advances. 

Originally posted by BattlesA

I am thinking that some people need to get with the times and upgrade their ISP.  MMO's are not going decrease in size and memory usage anytime soon as technology advances. 

Did you even read what I posted?

For all who claim 3 days. Use this: http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php

Type 14 GB, 128 kbs = 10 Days 20 Hours 58 Minutes 44.1 Seconds

And I DON'T blame Bioware! Well, maybe a bit for not allowing the download earlier. AS I SAID THEY SHOULD, because not everyone lives in Internet Wonderland!

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by Ridelynn

It took me 4 days to download with my computer on full time for the beta event a couple of weekends ago. The patcher actually crashed out twice.

I can't blame Bioware for me living out in the sticks with a radio ISP that struggles to do 3Mb on a clear day with no one else connected. My other options are satellite (and 4kms latency and ~5G download cap), cellular (1.5kms latency, and 4G download cap), or VPN dialup to my office (umm.. 56k).

But I can blame Bioware for making me download 18G+ of voice acting files that I will in no reasonable way, shape, or manner access in a Beta weekend, that could be easily streamed in the background after a much smaller initial download, or could be opted out of entirely for just summary text for a fraction of the size.

ArenaNet can do it well. Even Blizzard can make an incremental downloader once they finally got enough inertia to do so. I don't know why this can't be the standard today.

You're actually blaming a gaming company that created a game that you can't download because you have a shitty ISP.

The nerve of some people.

Originally posted by musicmann

Originally posted by Ridelynn

You're actually blaming a gaming company that created a game that you can't download because you have a shitty ISP.

The nerve of some people.

Maybe try reading posts before flaming people. I hear it helps.

For all who claim 3 days. Use this: http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php

And I DON'T blame Bioware! Well, maybe a bit for not allowing the download earlier. AS I SAID THEY SHOULD, because not everyone lives in Internet Wonderland!

If you read its off and they tell you why.

So 120 x 60 = 7200

7200 x 60 = 432 000

432 000 / 1000 = 432

432 / 1000 = 0.432 which I round to 0.4

16 / 0.4 = 40

40 hours to download.

I r good at mathz.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

I kind of feel sorry for you.  Took me less then 2 hours to redownload the entire client.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Takes me about an hour.

Centurylink FTW!!

• Fed1Fed1 Member Posts: 167

Originally posted by Atlan99

So 120 x 60 = 720

720 x 60 = 432 000

432 000 / 1000 = 432

16 / 0.4 = 40

40 hours to download.

I r good at mathz.

120x60 = 7200   :-)

LOL you caught it - I was being a smartarse

Originally posted by Fed1

So 120 x 60 = 720

720 x 60 = 432 000

432 000 / 1000 = 432

16 / 0.4 = 40

40 hours to download.

I r good at mathz.

120x60 = 7200

Doh. Should proofread more carefully. Edited original post. Still should be under 40 hour download.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Fed1

So 120 x 60 = 720

720 x 60 = 432 000

432 000 / 1000 = 432

16 / 0.4 = 40

40 hours to download.

I r good at mathz.

120x60 = 7200   :-)

pesky 0's.

I'm only getting 500 a sec :-(  normally get way higher download speeds than that, but it still sounds like we're all complaining about first world problems.