Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA2: Valve on Beta Invites: "Fret not, it's coming!"

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Valve recently updated the official DOTA 2 blog with the unveiling of the Alchemist, some community news, and an update for those who have been biting their nails off in anticipation of a beta invite:

If you’ve been perusing the forums out there (or watching Steam’s game stats), you’ve probably noticed that we’re really cranking out invites now. So, if you’re still waiting for an invite, fret not, it’s coming!

Be sure to check out the latest DOTA 2 changelog to tide you over until you receive your invite.

Comments

• DF08SaidDF08Said Member UncommonPosts: 24

First! (sorry)

Im really looking forward to getting a beta key! gotta try this out. have played all Dota Based games already.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

I didn't realize this was a mmorpg.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388

its not mmorpg... its called moba

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

I got my invite Friday :)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by PsyMike3d

Perhaps the MMORPG.com team should open MOBAguru.com as well..? :D

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Yes, what is DOTA? I clicked the official link, which routes to the blog and nowhere I see explained what DOTA stands for. I also dont know what MOBA is supposed to be. I kind of find it annoying, how abbreviations just appear and are assumed to be common knowledge.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Why is this being covered here?  It is not a MMO, nothing even close.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

MOBA = Metro Omaha Builders Association  (I guess it's like sim city)

DOTA = Department of Tethered Aviation (a massively multiplayer online kite simulator?)

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56

MOBA = Massively Online Battle Arena

DOTA = Defense Of The Ancients. 

I am not a big fan of MOBA games but many that are MMORPG players are, and it loosely still falls under the same kind of  games for the same reason games like Vindictus might be covered by MMORPG.com.  Although Vindictus isn't an MMORPG in many ways (due to it's lobby-style + instanced battles) in the same way DOTA or MOBA games are appropriate here, IMHO.   I'm surprised people here are commenting that they have no idea what it means.  I say that because this isn't the first or only MMORPG-related site to cover them.  :) 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by s4ndm4n2006

MOBA = Massively Online Battle Arena

DOTA = Defense Of The Ancients. 

I am not a big fan of MOBA games but many that are MMORPG players are, and it loosely still falls under the same kind of  games for the same reason games like Vindictus might be covered by MMORPG.com.  Although Vindictus isn't an MMORPG in many ways (due to it's lobby-style + instanced battles) in the same way DOTA or MOBA games are appropriate here, IMHO.   I'm surprised people here are commenting that they have no idea what it means.  I say that because this isn't the first or only MMORPG-related site to cover them.  :) 

I've heard the term DOTA before, just never understood it.  I knew it was some type of MOBA, which I HATE!!!!, but nothing more than that. 

• PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Why is this being covered here?  It is not a MMO, nothing even close.

If you go to the main site here, then you can see "Online / MMO and MMORPG Gamelist.....at MMORPG.com"

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Gabe was actually calling DotA an "Action RTS" because he didn't really care for the other term. Regardless, it's no more an MMO than Starcraft 2 is.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by PsyMike3d

Perhaps the MMORPG.com team should open MOBAguru.com as well..? :D

LOL, That's not a bad idea, go for it!

• just2goodjust2good Member UncommonPosts: 15

The M in MOBA is not Massively, its Multiplayer. MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

MMORPG.COM staff have already stated that MOBA do have their place here.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

its a quick game still. no need to farm minions just kill each other. its ok but ima stick to LoL.

• NaxriusNaxrius Member Posts: 62

I got in the beta, you can watch one of my first matches on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/SyntheticGamingHD

Its really fun, but some heroes really need to be fixed.

• fatlessfatless Member Posts: 6

Pay Type: free so its f2p?