Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: First Ever Hands-On Preview

Comments

• DunkareDunkare Member Posts: 33

Let’s face it: The way Funcom has designed The Secret World, actual employment of gray matter is going to be required. Thinking, research and intelligent play are going to be requirements of TSW, that’s for sure.
    this alone makes this game a must-have for me. im really glad tsw will be released just when swtor is gona start to become tedious ;)
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by rwyan
    I could have sworn there was talk of a persistant FvFvF zone in the game in addition to your standard battleground challenges.  I hope we will see this.Sounds promising.  Hopefully, Funcom will let this bake in the oven until its ready.  Funcom really can't deny the fact that launching AoC when it did really hindered the game's overall potential.

The FvFvF zone is in there somewhere, in addition to the battlegrounds. There just won't be open world pvp.

An actual persistent zone works for a lot of people that might be put off by open world PvP and/or instanced PvP.  It is a nice middle-ground for them.

I'm pretty happy to not have open world pvp. In the theme park games I've played, it's never added much but irritation. A full on pvp warzone where there are more than 10 people at a time would be a plus.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

Instancing in my sandbox world? No thank you sir. Instanced pvp is enough for this game to make my "Do not try, Do not buy" list. I will patiently wait for this one to spam my inbox with free weekend announcements and eventually go f2p.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by arieste

sounds awesome, can't wait :)

<3  Funcom - sure they've made mistakes, but at least they're always trying to innovate and to make MMOs that are aimed at people over 12-yrs-old.

Fully agree, they've always tried to push the envelope (with mixed results of course), but they're not afraid to try new things which we need more of in this genre.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I liked the idea of skill point leveling and the 'dress like you want' from the start. Gear is very obviously a vital part, we can see how that goes after launch. I have confidence that the game will run reasonably smooth. I have to hope that those of us in the lower range of capability in finger-eye co-ordination will be able to handle the movement part. Finally, I really like the genre that they have chosen since the 'real world' setting is not an immediate appeal for me. I think that character immersion here is vitally important. Ability to look how you want and get any skill you want will be outstanding.

I will get SWTOR because I am a Star Wars and MMO fan. I will get GW2 to replace WOW, which I enjoyed for years, as I like fantasy. Finally I will buy and play TSW because I have taken a fancy to the 'all conspiracies are true' format anf free character design. I only hope, really hope, that the game is not totally designed for horror stories. I want to fight the Nazi remnants that went to Antartica. I want to confront 'mole people' from center of earth Agartha. I want to fight moon creatures on the Lunar Base. I want to get into Area 51. Not just amorphic Howard creatures, werewolves and mummies. Frakenstien would be neat tho. Vampires have to be in.

See why I am looking forward to this game?

Extra Note: The fact there is NO power 'ranking' is an immense relief to me. Nothing but a waste of skill points in my opinion. Fireball 1, 2 and 3 - give me a break!

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Originally posted by MrBoots

Instancing in my sandbox world? No thank you sir. Instanced pvp is enough for this game to make my "Do not try, Do not buy" list. I will patiently wait for this one to spam my inbox with free weekend announcements and eventually go f2p.

TSW is not a sandbox world, and never has been presented as such.  It's a "themepark" game with "sandbox" elements in it.

Besides that, minigames are instanced, Warzones on the otherhand are not instanced, persistent and open 24/7.  Those are the areas for territorial control RvRvR large scale PvP.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

The PvP is the only part that does not sound like something coming out of a single player game so I get I put my hopes in that...

• scottnsscottns Member UncommonPosts: 231

Nice to see someone trying something different in the MMO genre. Hope it does well.

• MehugeMehuge Member UncommonPosts: 24

"and it’s guaranteed that it will take avid PvPers a long time to figure out the best strategies and locations for each map"

I doubt that very much 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Don't like limitations like the limiting of 8 skills,another game is doing the same thing.I prefer soemthing that makes more sense,which is tying your skills to your weapon.This opens the door to seeing a voodoo doll user weilding an AK47,it would look ridiculous and unrealistic.Or imagine someone weilding a particle effect canon,why would they bother with any magical abilities when they wield the power of science.

I really like the idea of using past LORE on naming the creatures,i have seen glimpses of it in other games,FFXI used LORE on every single one of it's named creatures.

No stats on clothing is a HUGE risk,this is predominantly the reason why players hangout on level capped players because they are chasing loot with stats.This means they are limiting abilities to 8 and limiting stats totally,not sure why this route, I would like to hear the reasoning from the dev.In the article it says "gear" weapons and chakras matters but with no stats,i can't see how it is possible,i could be tired though and not thinking outside the bubble?

I just think this is why a CLASS design works better,example they are talking "Chakras".Well that woudl make sense for say a magical user to draw out it's inner energy core.However why would a player weilding an AKA47 or a particle canon be worried about Chakra?You see in FFXi they did it well,the MOnk used Chakra,this is actually seen in many movies  where the Shaolin Monk draws energy form it's inner core and thrusts his hands forward creating a lot of power.Can you picture some guy with an AKA47 doing this?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The game's Facebook page is posting all of the articles from the press review.  All of them are good and include comments about how other MMOs are looking bland by comparison now.  Very cool stuff.

One has to assume that these reviewers have also been playing TOR during beta.  Bioware may have picked a bad time to release a vanilla theme-park game with GW2 and TSW coming down the road in mere months.  I hope they make their money back on box sales.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Senadina

Since TSW has a modern day setting, if they include a browser on, say, your character's netbook or tablet, it would actually ADD to immersion for me.

This game has excited me from the moment it was announced just due to the setting and genre, and it's only becoming more intriguing the more I read about it. As much as I plan on playing TOR and GW2, TSW is the MMO I can see myself playing for the long haul.

Signed. I'm in the same boat, I love the amount of interesting and entertaining titles (to me) that will be added to the MMO scene the upcoming year: SWTOR, TSW, GW2, ArcheAge, Firefall, my only complaint will be that I'll have too little time to enjoy them all to the fullest :-/

My interest was piqued from the moment I learnt about what The Secret World would be about, I love the whole theme of modern day world but then one where magic exists and all legends, myths, conspiracy theories and folklore tales are true. Plus Tornquist as game designer is a plus for me too, I enjoyed his Dreamfall and The Longest Journey immensely, from what it looks like he has kept the puzzle solving and mystery unraveling aspects for in TSW.

Originally posted by Wizardry

I just think this is why a CLASS design works better,example they are talking "Chakras".Well that woudl make sense for say a magical user to draw out it's inner energy core.However why would a player weilding an AKA47 or a particle canon be worried about Chakra?You see in FFXi they did it well,the MOnk used Chakra,this is actually seen in many movies  where the Shaolin Monk draws energy form it's inner core and thrusts his hands forward creating a lot of power.Can you picture some guy with an AKA47 doing this?

No, but that's what makes it so interesting, the mixing up of modern day technology with magic that will be seen.

It'll provide for a lot of examples that'll fall outside the range of typical stereotypes which in my book is only a good thing.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

In game google...  I think TSW may actually have an idea here that could work FOR the players, and it could be IN GAME ADVERTISING.  For the first time I think they could implement it in a way that could benefit them  and bring that benefit back to the players......  In fact,  the more advertising they have the more immersive I think the game could be.

Otherwise,  I think it sounds great,  will probably still be playing SWTOR at the time of release,  but will gladly take a break for this.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Don't like limitations like the limiting of 8 skills,another game is doing the same thing. I prefer soemthing that makes more sense,which is tying your skills to your weapon. This opens the door to seeing a voodoo doll user weilding an AK47,it would look ridiculous and unrealistic. Or imagine someone weilding a particle effect canon,why would they bother with any magical abilities when they wield the power of science.

I really like the idea of using past LORE on naming the creatures,i have seen glimpses of it in other games,FFXI used LORE on every single one of it's named creatures.
    No stats on clothing is a HUGE risk,this is predominantly the reason why players hangout on level capped players because they are chasing loot with stats. This means they are limiting abilities to 8 and limiting stats totally,not sure why this route, I would like to hear the reasoning from the dev. In the article it says "gear" weapons and chakras matters but with no stats,i can't see how it is possible,i could be tired though and not thinking outside the bubble?

I just think this is why a CLASS design works better,example they are talking "Chakras". Well that woudl make sense for say a magical user to draw out it's inner energy core. However why would a player weilding an AKA47 or a particle canon be worried about Chakra? You see in FFXi they did it well,the MOnk used Chakra,this is actually seen in many movies  where the Shaolin Monk draws energy form it's inner core and thrusts his hands forward creating a lot of power. Can you picture some guy with an AKA47 doing this?

I could picture a magic user or chakra user imbuing their bullets with whatever power they have. The bullets are just a delivery mechanism for the effect. This would not only be fairly useful (and awesome), but necessary against non-corporeal entities. I'm not sure if you'll be able to do this though. If magic existed in the real world, and combat was necessary, I'd probably carry a 9mm 'just in case'.

I think the eight abilities comes down to a few things:
    * Eight active abilities will be much easier to work into a control scheme with game controllers versus keyboards and mice. Having a console version depends on how well the PC version does, but more than 8 hot keys gets into PC Only territory.
    * Fewer abilities in combat makes movement more doable for a lot of people.
    * Fewer abilities makes macros unnecessary or at least not advantageous.
    * Once everyone has their 8 active abilities, they are more or less on even ground with everyone else.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I would be more interested if it didnt involve dealing with things outside the game to get the full experience of the game. Having to go online because the info isnt present in game is bad enough. Having to be subjected to dealing with google is a huge strike against it. If google didnt use a profit based algorithm instead of a relevance to search term based one, i wouldnt be so opposed. But forcing us to use google just really doesnt work for me. Pity. i liked everything else about this game.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

" Let’s face it: The way Funcom has designed The Secret World, actual employment of gray matter is going to be required. Thinking, research and intelligent play are going to be requirements of TSW, that’s for sure. Interestingly, we’ll probably all learn a lot too. Now if we can just keep from becoming paranoid! "

Eve Online is very much this way as well and tbh it keeps a lot of the *** kiddies from trying the game.  In the end it may mean a more mature player base which would be a refreshing change.  As others have stated, I've learned with Funcom to take everything with a grain of salt.  This game looks like it has a lot of cool features and may be a fresh entry into the MMO market.  The real trick will be to see if the company can pull it out without completely ruining it first.

• rvhausenrvhausen Member UncommonPosts: 51

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

...I love the amount of interesting and entertaining titles (to me) that will be added to the MMO scene the upcoming year: SWTOR, TSW, GW2, ArcheAge, Firefall...

2012 is definitely looking to be a promising year!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Looks interesting, and I am interested in it.

The google stuff is silly to complain about, if you know monster myth and legend myth, you probably do not need to research....If you do not, then you may need to research....kind of like real life...I like it a lot more than some long winded, hand holding text of voice over telling me exactly what I need to know and do...

They didn't say they were going to make you use it, if you don't want to break 'immersion', then don't use it...Figure it out on your own!

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

This game sounds a lot like MxO. Modern setting. Three factions. Being able to own and use every skill in the game (i.e. no fixed classes). You can switch them out on the fly. Clothes (gear) are not tied to class, meaning you can go whichever look you want. 

I loved those aspects of MxO, hopefully this game will deliver where the former failed.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Don't like limitations like the limiting of 8 skills,another game is doing the same thing.I prefer soemthing that makes more sense,which is tying your skills to your weapon.This opens the door to seeing a voodoo doll user weilding an AK47,it would look ridiculous and unrealistic.Or imagine someone weilding a particle effect canon,why would they bother with any magical abilities when they wield the power of science.

No stats on clothing is a HUGE risk,this is predominantly the reason why players hangout on level capped players because they are chasing loot with stats.This means they are limiting abilities to 8 and limiting stats totally,not sure why this route, I would like to hear the reasoning from the dev.In the article it says "gear" weapons and chakras matters but with no stats,i can't see how it is possible,i could be tired though and not thinking outside the bubble?

I think you answered your own question with this.  If the shaolin monk can channel energy, why would he want an AK47?  Chances are - he wouldn't, but there is nothing stopping him if he did.

The 7-skill limitation is about picking the things that best suit you.   Sure, you can pick 7 different skills that do "10 points of ranged damage", but why would you?  

The beautiful thing is that it's up to the player to pick the skills they like and playstyle they enjoy.  And heck, if the shaolin monk just happens to really really really like guns - well, that's a pretty cool shaolin monk :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

its just not.......skyrim

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Modern world setting where every conspiracy theory is true

So Lee Harvey Oswald wasn't a lone gunman?  I knew it!  Back, and to the left...Back, and to the left....Back and to the left.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Originally posted by alywelch

The google aspect sounds immersion-breaking and annoying.  Not that I don't alt tab when playing games for one reason or another but to make it required rubs me the wrong way.

Not sure how using a modern tool in a game set in a modern era could be immersion breaking. And for the game to attempt to incorporate all of that information into a single database within the game would require so many man hours(IE expensive) as to not be worth it. In addtion such a database would necessarily be very one dimensional and would end up adding nothing to the game. At least by having to search a real world search engine with all of the data that allready exists, it makes players have to actually think about what they are doing.

I dont know if the game will be good or something I will personally play....but seeing that quests potentially require thinking and that you actually read them to finish them is a refreshing change.

What will kill the game from that perspective is if the quests are static/unchanging. If they are static then the answers will be posted on the internet very quickly - probably by release and a majority of the population will simply google the actual answers instead of trying to figure them out.

Untill a game company figures out a way to get around that conundrum the gameworld itself will lose its vibrancy in short order with a half life measured in months instead of years.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

box buying +  p2p + cash shop  + Funcom =  NO GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME NOW !!!!

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by alywelch

The google aspect sounds immersion-breaking and annoying.  Not that I don't alt tab when playing games for one reason or another but to make it required rubs me the wrong way.

How exactly is that immersion breaking when you're playing in a present day setting where google is obviously available...  You're character pulls out his handheld and starts using google instead of alt tabbing.  If anything it's WAY more immersive.

Keep in mind you're not googleing the answers to the problems, you're googleing the actual research and history from present day information in order to solve the problems.