Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard Content Update

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=56410

Greetings adventurers!

As many of you know the Vanguard Development team has been working hard on delivering you new content to Vanguard! We are currently getting close to migrating this update over to the test server so that those interested in checking it out early, as well as, aiding in the testing and balance process can do so!

So what is in the first upcoming update….

· Overland Raid bosses

· New Dungeon – City of Brass

o Massive progressive dungeon with thirteen bosses and new rewards for players that can survive long enough to obtain them

· Removal of Corpse recovery

o This will aid in making the leveling process more enjoyable as well as remove the frustration that can be encountered from suffering a death penalty

· Experience curve decreased

o Experience has been modified to make leveling a new character a bit easier

· Increase in loot drop rates

· “Golden Path”

o Riftways instructing players to ideal leveling areas with new rewards for all levels

We look forward to everyone getting an opportunity to check out all that this update has to offer and seeing you in Telon soon!

-Gidoo

This is great news and one of the better updates I've seen of the last few.

I will be resubbing just to check it out and if anything to support more updates.

Comments

• sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

This is awesome news....It should bring back at least some faith in SOE intention of revivng VG. 

Update is pretty good and it tries to give something to both veterans and new players. VG always has been tough nut for a easy mode player from WoW and rift...new update should help them a bit more .

City of Brass should be a huge dungeon and many overland bossess should keep veterans busy for some time at least.

Thumbs UP

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

This update sucks ass three times over.

New dungeon is nice, of course.

But - simplified deaths ? Increased xp ? Increased loot ? Streamlined leveling ???

Vanguards good point was actually that it was one of the MMOs that still offered a challenge. Now they remove that one, too.

I'm extremely disappointed.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

OMG SOE keeping promises and is actually working on VG!

Not sure the XP curve is a good thing, but time will tell ;-)

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

I'm guessing free to plays not far off .

• gkowalgkowal Member Posts: 8

Too late for this move.

The game with its graphic is now little outdated compare to decent games not even taking into account the new ones which coming. It may be interesting proposition if they make it reallly free to play but knowing SOE that will not happen.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Adamantine

But - simplified deaths ? Increased xp ? Increased loot ? Streamlined leveling ???

Vanguards good point was actually that it was one of the MMOs that still offered a challenge. Now they remove that one, too.

Oh comeon ffs. if Vanguard was such a run away success in its pure forrm there won't be any need  for these changes. Take it or leave it but if you want Vanguard to stay up any longer you have to understand that they need more cash and cash is where majority is.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by gkowal

Too late for this move.

The game with its graphic is now little outdated compare to decent games not even taking into account the new ones which coming. It may be interesting proposition if they make it reallly free to play but knowing SOE that will not happen.

I always LOL at people saying that graphics is out dated... As if eye-candy makes up the quality of a game :D

For a real player, graphics is only secondary for a game. Content and gameplay are way more important than graphics. Just look at the releases of the last 2 years. One even more beautiful (graphically) than the other, but in the end, they lach content and gameplay and are loosing players by the masses...

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Originally posted by Supersoups

Oh comeon ffs. if Vanguard was such a run away success in its pure forrm there won't be any need  for these changes. Take it or leave it but if you want Vanguard to stay up any longer you have to understand that they need more cash and cash is where majority is.

So you're saying it should jump into the pool with the million other mmo's and compete rather than stick in it's niche and accept that it could grow within it without the need to alienate the people already playing it.

I don't think this update takes quite that far just yet but it does smack of that direction and thinking, seems to be a matter of time before the xp potions hit along side the instant rez stones. So unfortunate.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Originally posted by Supersoups

So you're saying it should jump into the pool with the million other mmo's and compete rather than stick in it's niche and accept that it could grow within it without the need to alienate the people already playing it.

I don't think this update takes quite that far just yet but it does smack of that direction and thinking, seems to be a matter of time before the xp potions hit along side the instant rez stones. So unfortunate.

That is for SOE to decide if the existing player base is sufficent to keep the servers up for long run and generate enough proft to produce new content on regular basis. if not yes they will make changes to attract new players.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342

Saw this on the official boards.  It's nice to see they are actually following through on their promise of new content.  As far as the graphics are concerned, I think Vanguard holds up very well.  While it's not AOC, it is on par with LOTRO/Rift IMO.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Originally posted by gkowal

Too late for this move.

Looking at DCU an Everquest 2 I would say it is just what SOE are mostly likly to do .  I think both this and EQ1 will be heading for free to play soon .

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

xp ramp up?they probably adopted the way wow went you get fairly fast levelling till you at level 60 of 85 then it slow down then at 70 it slow down again and at level 80 you re at normal speed till 85!it probably is something similar wich is a good thing

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

My thoughts exactly.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by X-Porter

My thoughts exactly.

Same here. Heck, Vanguard is the only MMO I am still subed to. While I welcome the new content, why on earth is SOE changing the character of the game by dumbing it down. <SIGH> guess I won't have an MMO to play anymore...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• sri_rishabhsri_rishabh Member Posts: 56

I think it would not be right to count the chickens before they hatch here...and come to conclusion.

Dev have been interacting wih community on official forums and they are provided their perspective which seem pretty balanced.

Also they have opened the test server where we can test and give feedback . Devs are aware of backlash against corpse removal and have told to reconsider it as per feedback from test server.

Regarding xp gain ..it will be nominal for Telon in general bt will be more prominent in 'Golden Paths'...

What exactly is golden path need to be see
    clearly...

They want to provide options to all set of players...casal, hardcore...pick it what  want..wats wrong in this? anyway  u have reduced xp gain ability too if u want to se it..VG need all kind of people to survive...

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I do understand peoples disappointment about the lowering the xp needed to level, and seemingly making the content more easy or wow'ified. And why shouldn't people think that? Because everytime a mmorpg have done this it has gone the way of "wow". But from what they are saying its just a small bump, not a big overhaul as the exp is concerned. If its only affected on a small scale, and really only make a difference at lets say the first 20 levels its not the end of the world. But I'm a bit confused as why they would do this, this is kinde like the things that make the game what it is. But lets wait and see what happens before we draw any conclusions, but yes I am skeptic.

More content though, hooooooooooorahy :D

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

It is clear to me that ( and should have been clear long ago ) SOE has no idea how to:

1. recognize a market segment for one of their products

2. exploit identified marketplace

You are trying to "make VG like WoW" just like you did with SWG /  EQ2 etc. 

XP gain is already too high, you have to turn if off to see it all and furthermore the content 1-40 in vanguard is more immense and deeper than ANY MMO out there ( other than say eq perhaps ). Now you want people flying through more Hunters League like stuff ? 

Totally missing it SOE. lol

There are 100000000000 MMOs with fast leveling curves, easy loot gains, linear progression where exploriation is not part of the story coming out and you choose to add features to try to compete there ????

Horrible decisions continue at SOE. Stop looking at numbers and think about game design for once and you might just survive as a company and not have to shut down development of new titles in 2012.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by Dwarfman420

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=56410

· Removal of Corpse recovery

o This will aid in making the leveling process more enjoyable as well as remove the frustration that can be encountered from suffering a death penalty

· Experience curve decreased

o Experience has been modified to make leveling a new character a bit easier

· Increase in loot drop rates

· “Golden Path”

o Riftways instructing players to ideal leveling areas with new rewards for all levels

I haven't played Vanguard in years, but I can already imagine the complaints from the diehard fans over these changes.

Sounds like these are the first steps to revamping VG for a free to play model. 

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

If your concern is that leveling is to fast due to increased xp, one has the option of turning off xp.

They are trying to bring more people into the game and since most of the population is in the higher level range, it allows people who want to get to higher levels to enjoy content with more players.. so be it.

Can get into the argument of "the vision" and long travel times, harsh death, etc etc.  I don't think that arguement will win many back, specially since pvp is no longer an optional realm in vangaurd.

It's something at least.

It's been a long long time since an actual update /w dungeon has been released.

Originally posted by Dwarfman420

If your concern is that leveling is to fast due to increased xp, one has the option of turning off xp.

That is all nice and dandy as long as I play solo, but for grouping, this is unacceptable. I simply cant turn off xp and stay behind to the rest of the group.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

The way they have it is fine, up until level 51+ that is. It is rediculous how much exp you get once you reach level 51. When you're killing 3 dot level 50 monsters at level 50 and getting a rate of 30-50k exp per kill right when you hit that 51 mark you're going at a rate of 5-10k exp per kill. If you've compare this with leveling from 45-50 the exp drop rate isn't as steep as they've put it.

So you're stuck with trying to find group content for better exp. That leaves you with pretty much 3 level 51+ areas to find groups, but then when people have their "group" that they've always play with, it gets really tough. Once you start doing the 51+ content its a whole new ball game, if not properly geared you'll basically die in less than 5 hits. Finding a group to do content is already a tough thing to do. So I just craft to kill the time.

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Challenge is fine and dandy, for some of us - but not everyone (read: The Majority) wants bent over and paddled with a gravel rake for dying or not having 18h/day to play.

Pfft.

Yeah, sure, thats how hard Vanguard was before ...

Yesterday was the first time I could just '/who all count' on Telon to get the total number of players (including IoD). On a sunday. :-(

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Part of the reason I ejoyed VG was because of the challenge and fear of death when I went out roaming the world. Sony proves again all they give a shit about is money. Zero interest in VG anymore, in fact zero interest in anything Sony :-)

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Razeron

Challenge is fine and dandy, for some of us - but not everyone (read: The Majority) wants bent over and paddled with a gravel rake for dying or not having 18h/day to play.

Who gives a #$@#. I could care less where the majority is. A solid company produces a game for the players and stands by their niche crowd and develops a game further. A company only in it for money hops on the bandwagon and trys to make as much money as possible whether it fochs people over or not. Sony has proven again that their a a douchbag company only in it for $$

"I play Tera for the gameplay"