Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: First Ever Hands-On Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During a recent press event at Funcom's Montreal studio, MMORPG.com Associate Editor Suzie Ford had the opportunity for a day-long hands-on experience with The Secret World. Calling it "a thinking player's game", Suzie has a lot to say about why she thinks that in her comprehensive first look at The Secret World. Treat yourself to a fine read. Leave us a comment or two when you're finished reading.

Funcom’s The Secret World has been one of the best kept game mysteries for the past couple of years. The team has chosen when and where information will be disseminated and how much will be released when it is discussed. However, as the game nears its April 2012 release date, the team is ready to start letting the rest of us in on what is arguably one of the most keenly anticipated titles coming next year. With that objective in mind, members of the worldwide gaming press were invited to visit Funcom’s Montreal studio where the bulk of the work on The Secret World is being carried out.

Read more of Suzie Ford's The Secret World: First Ever Hands-On Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

What would draw me to the game:

-24/7 persistent faction conflict

-you actually have to think (now thats refreshing)   

I look forward to hearing more...love the sandbox character progression too.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Sounds fairly interesting to say the least. Unfortunatly its made by Funcom and that means its a title I will hold off on even looking at till there is either an open beta or a free trial. Funcoms pathetic launch of AoC has jaded me on the company for good.

• alywelchalywelch Member Posts: 10

The google aspect sounds immersion-breaking and annoying.  Not that I don't alt tab when playing games for one reason or another but to make it required rubs me the wrong way.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541
    no need for alts

good job

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

That was a nifty read.  Have to say, for the most part - I'm still liking what I see when I look at TSW.  Unfortunately, I'm still put off by the GW-esque approach to skills.  Really wish they had gone with a realistic version of what EVE offers.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by alywelch

The google aspect sounds immersion-breaking and annoying.  Not that I don't alt tab when playing games for one reason or another but to make it required rubs me the wrong way.

They said they are planning to include an in-game browser on an interview.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

They have already said PvP are instanced battleground

not sure if there are no open world PvP, they gave reason to the three factions 'know' each other, but they understand they need each other to survive.

lol

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by xKingdomx

not sure if there are no open world PvP, they gave reason to the three factions 'know' each other, but they understand they need each other to survive.

lol

I think they have said they don't have open world pvp but they have persistent zones for pvp to fight for domination and give advantages for your faction.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I could have sworn there was talk of a persistant FvFvF zone in the game in addition to your standard battleground challenges.  I hope we will see this.

Sounds promising.  Hopefully, Funcom will let this bake in the oven until its ready.  Funcom really can't deny the fact that launching AoC when it did really hindered the game's overall potential.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you look a bit closer, I was told that there will be a way to use Google within the game. It wasn't in the build I played but it's definitely going in. It makes sense too. Since this is "real world", it's exactly what we would do if we needed to figure out a puzzling clue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by rwyan

I could have sworn there was talk of a persistant FvFvF zone in the game in addition to your standard battleground challenges.  I hope we will see this.

Sounds promising.  Hopefully, Funcom will let this bake in the oven until its ready.  Funcom really can't deny the fact that launching AoC when it did really hindered the game's overall potential.

From everything I learned on my trip, I would say that Funcom is a company that's actually learned from its mistakes and will make good on this one.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Plus you know the chat will just be spammed with people asking for the info rather than looking it up themselves.

I knew somebody was going to use the real world arguement.  There's a lot of things I do in real life that I don't need replicated in a game.  But if google truly does get built into the game, that's an improvement.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

AO had the worst launch ever, 2 years later it was a great MMO. These days you don't get two months never mind two years to put things right. On that basis I will look at SW about a  year after launch, which is what I wish I had done with AoC.

I won't be there for the first month when everyone says its the most amazing MMO ever or month two when people leave in droves looking for the next best thing.

You do have to wonder how many more half baked releases players have to be slapped in the face with until they just give up on MMO's.

• NervesNerves Member Posts: 7

lol

There will be no open world PvP.  There will be 1 persistent battlefield with several temporary instanced ones.  The idea is that in order to prevent the secret war from spilling onto the streets and blowing everyone's cover, the secret war (between factions) will take place in set aside areas.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by paterah

They said they are planning to include an in-game browser on an interview.

Since TSW has a modern day setting, if they include a browser on, say, your character's netbook or tablet, it would actually ADD to immersion for me.

This game has excited me from the moment it was announced just due to the setting and genre, and it's only becoming more intriguing the more I read about it. As much as I plan on playing TOR and GW2, TSW is the MMO I can see myself playing for the long haul.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by SBFord

From everything I learned on my trip, I would say that Funcom is a company that's actually learned from its mistakes and will make good on this one.

Maybe, their business model put me off though. Box buy - ok it is normal. Then they said they think about subscription in range of 15-17$. Ok 17 is a bit more than standard, but ok - after all kinda long since there was increase in sub fee.

But they plan to put cash shop on top of that, and expand it as game matures + they said they are happy with AoC experiences in that regard. They also plan to acquire additional 1/3 of sub revenue from cash shop/

Double Dipping

Ok sorry that's not working for me.

/passing on TSW

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

lol

Minigames are instanced called "battlegrounds", "Warzones" are persistent, 24/7, non instanced Factional warfare areas, somewhat like the ones found in DAoC.

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103

I hope it's good, but as with all Funcom games, the press is loving it... In thepast when this happens, the numbers have dropped drasticly after the first month in their games, hopefully that will not be the case with this one.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sounds great, particularly the thing that doesn't allow you to take a 100 quests at the same time.

Now, if only Funcom actually can make a good launch as well we might have a winner here.

If they on the other hand do what they did to AoC and AO it really doesn't matter how good the game is.

Third time is a charm...

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

sounds awesome, can't wait :)

<3  Funcom - sure they've made mistakes, but at least they're always trying to innovate and to make MMOs that are aimed at people over 12-yrs-old.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I could have sworn there was talk of a persistant FvFvF zone in the game in addition to your standard battleground challenges.  I hope we will see this.Sounds promising.  Hopefully, Funcom will let this bake in the oven until its ready.  Funcom really can't deny the fact that launching AoC when it did really hindered the game's overall potential.

The FvFvF zone is in there somewhere, in addition to the battlegrounds. There just won't be open world pvp.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by lizardbones

I could have sworn there was talk of a persistant FvFvF zone in the game in addition to your standard battleground challenges.  I hope we will see this.Sounds promising.  Hopefully, Funcom will let this bake in the oven until its ready.  Funcom really can't deny the fact that launching AoC when it did really hindered the game's overall potential.

The FvFvF zone is in there somewhere, in addition to the battlegrounds. There just won't be open world pvp.

An actual persistent zone works for a lot of people that might be put off by open world PvP and/or instanced PvP.  It is a nice middle-ground for them.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Is this game an open world or Instance like Dragon nest or GW?

I cannot find any quote that it is an open world?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by arieste

<3  Funcom - sure they've made mistakes, but at least they're always trying to innovate and to make MMOs that are aimed at people over 12-yrs-old.

Yeah, but so far have they started out great but never really reached the goal, and it kinda annoys me. If AoC would have been bug free at launch and twice the size it would have been a very different game today.

As an example, take the guild city in AoC. Great idea, but it have zero customization and the city becomes a boring wasteland. If they had added a little Sim city/Dungeon keeper to it and added the possibility to get NPCs that works and live there, as well as player stores and housing it would have changed the genre... 

So lets hope they can take this game all the way. :)