Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Positive Impression + Video from TGN

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

The game look cool. I hate the thing that the leveling way is exactly as WoW and all other mmo ! Since it's SW, sure i'll give a try but i'm still not sure of this game is the one like the 30 before it

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

a bit meh.. but the guy did give some good advice.. if theres a free trial then go for it before buying the game.. if one thing did come out of this, its that after playing skyrim, the combat in sw;tor looks.. not too great.. i still think that whether the game does well or not, will depend on gameplay, and not .. story..   after playing skyrim for 30+ hrs... i would have to say that combat mechanics, are an important feature in any game, and will define it. At the moment i'm not sure how successful sw;tor will ultimately be, from all the video's im seeing, not just this one..  the combat is lacklustre bordering on mediocre..  relying on storylines to prop the game up is not a recipe for success imo.. image

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

dude the biggest complaint about skyrim is its combat

• MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

No game had a really good combat mechanic that mix skill and gear except AoC.

DAoC did and i really miss that game

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Nice.

Facial and armor textures really look too glossy / plasticy to my liking but the environments are great.

Loved the sprawling vista of Korriban. Holy big statues, Batman.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

ROFL, comparing an FPS single player RPG to a TPS MMORPG.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

Originally posted by Phry

a bit meh.. but the guy did give some good advice.. if theres a free trial then go for it before buying the game.. if one thing did come out of this, its that after playing skyrim, the combat in sw;tor looks.. not too great.. i still think that whether the game does well or not, will depend on gameplay, and not .. story..   after playing skyrim for 30+ hrs... i would have to say that combat mechanics, are an important feature in any game, and will define it. At the moment i'm not sure how successful sw;tor will ultimately be, from all the video's im seeing, not just this one..  the combat is lacklustre bordering on mediocre..  relying on storylines to prop the game up is not a recipe for success imo.. image

Oh yes the combat mechanics really make the game, so much so that they helped DCUO to f2p in less than a year. Where as the tab targetting Rift is still enjoying it's fanbase with monthly patches. Not everybody wants click click click combat so get over it and not everybody is into playing mmos with a freaking game controller.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I absolutely love the combat in Skyrim, but I also love traditional RPG combat, and playing either does not make the other feel better or worse for me, guess I'm blessed :)

I'm not sure if FPS combat would work for any full mmorpg anyway since it requires a ton load more from the servers and so the worlds could only support a few hundred if even that amount of people, not so much a mmorpg anymore eh? Target lock game does not have to track your projectiles and such in so complex ways like FPS games with shots being actual objects with ballistics and hit areas etc then a hundred people does this simultaneously and the servers go haywire I guess. I dont even know any FPS multiplayer lobby-game that manages to run well a small sized scenario with more than 60 people, try making a mmorpg that does. Afaik Firefall has only a handful of people per shard just because of this, I could be wrong but I cant think of any other reason.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

The key word is this video was FUN, as long as you are having fun it really doesn't matter what other people think. While you are in game having fun they will still be roaming these forums complaining about other games, that don't match their expectations of what or how an mmo should be.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

At the moment i'm not sure how successful sw;tor will ultimately be, from all the video's im seeing, not just this one..  the combat is lacklustre bordering on mediocre..  relying on storylines to prop the game up is not a recipe for success imo.. image

You'll have to trust me on this, videos don't do the combat justice.  It's not lackluster in the least.  If you don't enjoy the tab/target hotkey kind of themepark combat, then no, you probably won't enjoy it in this game either.  But as far as tab/target combat goes, this is easily the most engaging, fun combat I've experienced in an MMO.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i loved my time in tor had alot of fun. cant wait for it to go live. Then i may never visit this forum again fora  bit as ill be to busy in tor. 

That said tor is a fun game if u like bioware games and themepark mmos. If not i dont think u will like tor. 

I loved it its the type of game i like to play. ill admit sandbox fans might not like tor .

for the record id rather play dragon age 2 then skyrim any day of the week but tahts me. I actually thought skyrim was a well made game with siome nice elements i just didnt have much fun playing it.

then again i love wow and i loved my time in tor thats the type of game i like. I think most of the reviews of other beta testers have been alot more positive then negative. I come out on the positive side.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Gormok

Oh yes the combat mechanics really make the game, so much so that they helped DCUO to f2p in less than a year. Where as the tab targetting Rift is still enjoying it's fanbase with monthly patches. Not everybody wants click click click combat so get over it and not everybody is into playing mmos with a freaking game controller.

So you think that if DCU had regular trinity based combat mechanics it would be a lot larger and still P2P?

I somehow have doubts about that.

There are many ways you can handle combat in MMOs that aren't FPS mechanics, they don't have to be all made exactly the same. The trinity system works but that doesn't mean you can't make other good combat systems, there used to be a lot different ones in single player RPGs not too far ago.

The thing I don't like with TOR is really the dependance on combat healers, because it goes against the lore (of the movies). What happened with trying not to get hit like in the movies (with auto healing as soon as you leave combat?

TOR makes some things great but they could have made combat better and more fitting to the IP.

i liked the combat in tor. I dont mind the healing stuff. Im used to it in most mmos. That said what hurt dc was it only had 30 levels which were easy enough to do and very little end game content. 

they need more content to start and they also were geared for multi systems and it was much more popular on the ps3 then pc. Dc was a fun enough game . It just sucked that the villans and heros had same startign area and u had to do the same things every character u rolled. 

dc wasnt hurt by its combat which was fun enough it was hurt by lack of content which people where complaining about before beta even ended. I know as i beta tested dc.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Lashley

dude the biggest complaint about skyrim is its combat

Where are these complaints?  It is the closest we have to Mount and Blade in an RPG and the only issues I have with it is there are no pole-arms, no throwing weapons(like axes), no thrusting with swords(unless you get a crit cinema) and no combat from horseback...other than that Skyrims combat is awesome.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I just shake my head every time someone mentions the "Trinity" like it's a bad thing.  There are many of out there, myself included, that like roles, and a way for people to differentiate themselves in combat by specializing in a specific role.  If everyone can do everything, than nobody is really good at anything.  

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Originally posted by Biggus99

I just shake my head every time someone mentions the "Trinity" like it's a bad thing.  There are many of out there, myself included, that like roles, and a way for people to differentiate themselves in combat by specializing in a specific role.  If everyone can do everything, than nobody is really good at anything.  

The trinity has its place but I really think in a Star Wars universe it is really out of place.

Just by going this video, the melee combat looks better than ranged.

Having played the smuggler and bh a little bit i must say ranged combat was fun and looked cool. To me at least. Ill admit i only had a weekend and watned to test a bunch of the classes and it was my gfs beta not mine.

That said ranged combat in this game was fun. i will say the inquistor early has as much melee as ranged. I started to get mroe ranged as i got to level 7 so i would of liked to see it after taht. 

Myabe this weekend i can really get more indepth with the inquistor. since im starting republic by time i play inquistior it will of been a few months and with my memory ill of forgotten most of what id done lol.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by XAleX360

ROFL, comparing an FPS single player RPG to a TPS MMORPG.

I play skyrim in 3rd person but i see your point. image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Kuinn

I absolutely love the combat in Skyrim, but I also love traditional RPG combat, and playing either does not make the other feel better or worse for me, guess I'm blessed :)

I totally agree with you. Though I don't like the aiming with the xbox 360 controller, I feel the combat in Skyrim is appropriate and have no issues with it. I also enjoy the mouse click action bar thing to. Ive never had an issue with it. I find it fun for some reason lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Originally posted by Biggus99

Another person I totally agree with, which is why I hated how Rift was making all the classes feel too generic by allowing too much crossover.

There Is Always Hope!