Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Runescape was to make a few changes, would you consider it?

TheLazySongTheLazySong Member Posts: 8

Runescape a game that most Mmoprg players have played at least once, and is quite often a newcomers first Mmorpg because of the fact there is no download.

There is no doubting what Jagex have done with Runescape is amazing, the fact that they could create such a game on Java and let it run on your browser is simply amazing, and I don't think anyone should ever think of Runescape as a "Baby" mmo.

Reccently Runescape made a bit of news about combatting there botting issue, which has been a huge sucess, taking 98% Of bots out of game, and only leaving simple bots in game which are easily bannable.

It was also said many times that they are now working on fixing some of there grind issues they have with there game, and that new training methods will take away the grind aspect of the game.

Some of Runescape newer graphics are also pretty amazing, and I would personally say that there graphics are better then a lot of mmo that set the standerds, and yet  you could play these graphics on a very low spec computer.

They also have there new skill called dungeoneering, which if you use a character with fairly high levels in that skill, it beats any type of raiding that has been in any other game I can think of, randomly generated, and does not just involve combat, but skill based rooms etc.

My question is that if Runescape was to sort out some of these problems, a long with a new combat system, surely we would have to re consider what we used to think of Runescape. Weekly updates/Amazing quests (Which are starting to become voice acted)/Browser based and many more features.

(Only see halve of the images, will need to scroll to see rest of image)

Comments

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

If it wasn't the king of grind, and didn't require you to be rich to succeed, I'd play.

• TheLazySongTheLazySong Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by lennpell

If it wasn't the king of grind, and didn't require you to be rich to succeed, I'd play.

Like I said, the CEO said they are sorting out the grind issues,  and what do you mean rich to succeed? It a £3.50 subscription a month?

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

In game rich.

Originally posted by lennpell

In game rich.

You earn all the money in game? There no cash shop, if you mean you need to get money in game, isn't that with all games, and from playing it you ussaly earn money with some skills, and then end up spending it training others.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Sorry, while I applaud Jagex for waging war at bots and overall caring for customers.

Graphics. I don't know maybe I can't find videos with some new graphics, but  those I saw look preety horrible.

Last thing. From what I saw, community there is soomewhat similar to Tibia and such.Really not my style.

Saw just some videos of RS - don't like it sorry.

So I applaud Jagex and if they ever do client based, normal mmo I will consider it.

For Runescape - sorry not interested.

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

The only thing that would make me play Runescape again. Is if they made it in to a new game. Something like Skyrim. Not necessary that good graphics. But out of a first person view and just that massive world and all the stuff that runescape has.. It would be so awesome.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

Originally posted by fenistil

Sorry, while I applaud Jagex for waging war at bots and overall caring for customers.

I will not play Runescape. Why? Well first of all it is freemium model right? Don't like it. I've tried some games with this model and ultimatelly I hate it. This nicke & diming all the time.

Second thing. Graphics. I don't know maybe I can't find videos with some new graphics, but  those I saw look preety horrible.

Last thing. From what I saw, community there is soomewhat similar to Tibia and such.Really not my style.

So I applaud Jagex and if they ever do client based, normal mmo I will consider it.

You know nothing about this game, do you?

I will not play Runescape. Why? Well first of all it is freemium model right? Don't like it. I've tried some games with this model and ultimatelly I hate it. This nicke & diming all the time.

Second thing. Graphics. I don't know maybe I can't find videos with some new graphics, but  those I saw look preety horrible.

The game part F2P, it does not have a cash shop. I posted some of there newer graphics on the post, the coumunity is improveing, though I could see where your coming from with community.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Updated my info bout this model.

Yeah business model look really good. No cash shop is really good thing.

Don't see no pics or links in your first post.

Anyway, I really have my best wishes for RS. 

Updated my info bout this model.

Yeah business model look really good. No cash shop is really good thing.

Don't see no pics or links in your first post.

Anyway, I really have my best wishes for RS. 

http://www.runescape.com/kbase/guid/media

Some of these graphics are new and some our older, there most reccent ones are very, very good 

• guldurkhandguldurkhand Member Posts: 23

Runescape of all mmo's is like justin bieber of youtube.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Runescape is the worst MMORPG I've ever played.  My few days there weren't a complete waste, though, as it taught me some things to look for in reading up on a game that would serve as red flags to say, stay away from this game.  But no, it would need more than a few changes to be worth considering.

• RVallantRVallant Member UncommonPosts: 66

I hope the bot blanket ban is legit.

ArenaNet did something similiar, in fact I'm perma-banned on there (for the second time) because I haven't logged in for a while. Both times for 'potential' account breaches. I could just email the support and get it unbanned, which, they will do but I detest it when they're catching inactive accounts like that.

Anyway, I've seen some of the changes. They're good, but more is needed really. I agree about the in-game richness issue, the problem is if you try and skill-cross then you won't generally make too much money. The problem with the economy has always been that unfinished goods tend to be more valuable than finished goods (Crafting possibly, excluded.) so you don't really make the money without making sacrifices per se.

Dunno though, I may join up again and tinker after Skyrim et al.

• lifesbrinklifesbrink Member UncommonPosts: 553

I have always made an excellent observation about Runescape.  It is a wonderful game to introduce kids to MMO's.

My blog is a continuing story of what MMO's should be like.

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

Originally posted by Quizzical

Runescape is the worst MMORPG I've ever played.  My few days there weren't a complete waste, though, as it taught me some things to look for in reading up on a game that would serve as red flags to say, stay away from this game.  But no, it would need more than a few changes to be worth considering.

could you at least give some reasons,why its so bad?

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I'd probably give it more of a try if they could fix whatever is causing my gaming laptop to only get around 15-19 fps (even worse in crowded areas). At first I thought it was because the game was just poorly optimized, being a browser based game (although I was using the client version), but after checking the forums it looks like many others are also experiencing the issue and it's been months since they first said they were working on a fix. Not sure why it would take them so long to do something like that. As it is, the game is unplayable for me, regardless of the settings I use.

So really, if they could get that figured out, I'd probably give it a shot. If I can run a game like Age of Conan with high settings at around 45-50 fps, I'd think I could run a game like runescape higher than 6-10 fps in crowded areas.

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

I actually really like Runescape. I played it pretty had core for a while and then stopped when SWTOR came out and have actually been thinking about getting back into it.

The questing is fun and there is always more to do.

If there was a really modern version of it where the graphics were much better (I know it would be difficult with so much going on) but it would seal the deal for me and I'd never leave the game again. Its the closest thing to Ultima Online I've found.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• monkeysenseimonkeysensei Member Posts: 7

1. The runescape community is full of prepubes.

2. Playing runescape has a stigma attached if you are over 18

3. Runescape runs like a constipated an*s not just in FPS but also in the lag between command and action. That lag breaks immersive flow worse than a woman on the rag.

4. There are more interesting MMOs out there, both F2P and P2P.

"Endsville is burning"-Mamimi

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired

never mind the consequences of the crime this time my fortunes faded

"c'mon god do I seem bulletproof?"-RHCP

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by monkeysensei

4. There are more interesting MMOs out there, both F2P and P2P.

Which ones ? Could you name some please....I've been trying to find one in the last 3 years and haven't found even one which could come close to RS, regarding features and stuffs to do in game. I feel I got spoiled by RS because it was my first MMO and now I just can't bear the games where there is nothing more to do than kill kill kill.

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish?AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish

English (auto-detected) » Hungarian

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

remove SoF, it's just wrong in every way.

"We don’t want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape."

times are changing... SoF is the first step in the wrong direction, what is the next one? Played runescape more than 8 years, runecrafted my way to the top. these achievements shouldnt be for sale.

• DDotDDot Member UncommonPosts: 10

Runescape has changed. They have a membership model with more aggressive advertisement campaigns in free to play. Several worlds have been shut down due to low number of players. An example of this is : 

700-800 thousand players online in Runescape during 2002-2006 era at any given time compared to only 100 thousand to 90 thousand players online during 2011-2012. That is a huge drop for a game whose developer boasts on 195 million registered accounts (active and inactive).

They've added this new gambling minigame where they encourage players to spin the wheel for rewards. They're selling chances to spin the wheel using a cash shop. The rewards are anywhere between 50 gold, to 10 million gold, to untradable versions of rare and expensive items, to massive chunks of experience. All of which can be attained by buying spin packages.

If you are a paying member, you have the option to buy extra spins from the in-game shop which is integrated into the game interface:

£3.50 buys you 10 spins

£6.99 buys you 20 spins +5 bonus spins

£13.99 buys you 40 spins + 35 bonus spins

£34.99 buys you 100 spins + 100 bonus spins

£69.99 buys you 200 spins + 250 bonus spins

In other words:

£3.50 ($5) buys you 10 spins

£6.99 ($10) buys you 25 spins

£13.99 ($20) buys you 75 spins

£34.99 ($40) buys you 200 spins

£69.99 ($100) buys you 450 spins

They're practically selling items, gold and experience. It has prompted a huge backlash from the existing playerbase. If you go to their official forums and look around the recent update section, you'll see nothing but 50 pages of protest. Literally hundreds of players, including veterans who have been playing the game for 8-9 years, have unsubscribed in the past 20 days in protest but the developer seems tight lipped about the whole situation.

MMORPG's recent interview with Runescape's developer highlights only the new starting area but it does not cover the more controversial and heavily debated Squeal of Fortune sales which essentially changed the business model of this game. 

Personally, I wouldn't advise wasting time on this game because it's future seems unclear.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Not with those horrendous graphics.  It would need a HUGE overhaul for me to look at it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      I was shocked at how bad the controlls were, constantly getting trapped in between buildings,  it is really bad and needs to change befor I would play it again
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Gameplay sucks. Combat sucks. Pvp sucks. As does pve. Huge grind. Graphics.... Suck. Free world sucks. 

Lore is decent. Easy to get into. Updated frequently. Bright future. Big community. BOTS ARE FRICKEN GONE. Bots are now an endangered species, I hope other MMOs look to how they did it and implement that into their games. Wonderful stories. Lots of weapons. Great holiday events. Decent community. Tons of content and mini games, 

Runescape is a staple of the MMO genre, more so than wow is. It is the first MMO for many people and a decent one at that. I enjoyed runescape, but got into other MMOs quickly. But I will always remember the fear of the wildy, the stories, and the horrid graphics and nice community. I have other MMOs to play.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Gameplay sucks. Combat sucks. Pvp sucks. As does pve. Huge grind. Graphics.... Suck. Free world sucks. 

Lore is decent. Easy to get into. Updated frequently. Bright future. Big community. BOTS ARE FRICKEN GONE. Bots are now an endangered species, I hope other MMOs look to how they did it and implement that into their games. Wonderful stories. Lots of weapons. Great holiday events. Decent community. Tons of content and mini games, 

Runescape is a staple of the MMO genre, more so than wow is. It is the first MMO for many people and a decent one at that. I enjoyed runescape, but got into other MMOs quickly. But I will always remember the fear of the wildy, the stories, and the horrid graphics and nice community. I have other MMOs to play.

The awkward moment when I'm running a bot right now and have been for the past six hours >.>