Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

4x space sims

ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,334Member Uncommon

Having played Gal Civ 2 and Sins of the Solar Empire i really enjoyed them both , im looking at the Sword of the Stars 1 collection .. Anyone have an opinion on these and how does it hold up to the other 2 i mentined ?

Thx

Comments

• Maki2Maki2 Milky WayPosts: 43Member Uncommon

Played all of the mentioned games and enjoyed them.

SOTS1 (with all expansions) is, in my opinion, better than Gal Civ 2.

They are both turn-based but SOTS1 has real time combat. Like a Total War game, if you ever played any.

But I found it kinda complicated and there were never all ships you actually have at same time (you could, for example, have 100 ships in a fleet but in real time mode, only 2-3+ are seen and controlled. The other ships jump in if one of the ships got destroyed) so I pretty much always used auto resolve.

Compared to Sins of the solar empire, Sins is a better game in my opinion.

Since you enjoyed GalCiv2 and Sins, I think you'll also enjoy SOTS1.

• ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,334Member Uncommon

Thx for the response.. Have you tried SOTS 2... seems it has alot of problems at the moment?

• Maki2Maki2 Milky WayPosts: 43Member Uncommon

I haven't tried SOTS 2 yet. (because my computer is not good enough.)

SOTS1 had problems at launch aswell, which were solved later on.

• Vato26Vato26 BFE, MOPosts: 3,930Member

SOTS 2 is a colossal clusterfrack.  Seriously, it's launch is being spoken on the same level of epic fail as Master of Orion 3.

I would recommend Distant Worlds.  That game destroyed my love for Gal Civ 2.  It feels like the game universe is so much more alive in that game than in Gal Civ 2.  Also, DW's 2nd xpack is supposedly coming out next week, which will give the game more content and enjoyment than before.  However, the downside to DW is the learning curve.  However, it has the greatest customizable automation options ever (have the computer do specific things for you until you get to know the game... then you can customize the automation options later).

I have never played SOTS1 nor Sins.  Mainly because I loved Gal Civ 2 so much before DW came out.

• channel84channel84 CyberjayaPosts: 584Member Uncommon

Still sticking to master of orion 2 for my 4x fix T_T so sad

• catlanacatlana Houston, TXPosts: 1,677Member

Originally posted by Vato26

SOTS 2 is a colossal clusterfrack.  Seriously, it's launch is being spoken on the same level of epic fail as Master of Orion 3.

I would recommend Distant Worlds.  That game destroyed my love for Gal Civ 2.  It feels like the game universe is so much more alive in that game than in Gal Civ 2.  Also, DW's 2nd xpack is supposedly coming out next week, which will give the game more content and enjoyment than before.  However, the downside to DW is the learning curve.  However, it has the greatest customizable automation options ever (have the computer do specific things for you until you get to know the game... then you can customize the automation options later).

I have never played SOTS1 nor Sins.  Mainly because I loved Gal Civ 2 so much before DW came out.

I have heard that DW got a lot better after the first expansion. I found a pretty good review here ( http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/10/distant-worlds-return-of-the-shakturi-review/ ) for those interested. 

• Vato26Vato26 BFE, MOPosts: 3,930Member

Originally posted by catlana

Originally posted by Vato26

I have heard that DW got a lot better after the first expansion. I found a pretty good review here ( http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2011/10/distant-worlds-return-of-the-shakturi-review/ ) for those interested. 

Oh, yeah... it did.  Sorry for not clarifying that.  But the UI and gameplay became infinitely better once Shakturi xpack came out!  Also, gameplay is due for another big positive revamp with Legends xpack coming out potentially today.