Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

MUDS?

ParchmentParchment EST, MAPosts: 24Member

Anyone playing a MUD worth mentioning? I've been wanting to play one lately but given the number of choices I'm not exactly sure where to begin.

 

One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

Comments

  • KhaerosKhaeros Monroe, NYPosts: 452Member

    There's lots out there, but it really depends on what you are looking for.

     

    Are you looking for a MUD that enforces roleplaying? How about one that has a certain theme/setting?  How many people on one MUD is 'populated' enough for you (understanding that in these times, a MUD with 100+ players at once is considered quite popular)?  Do you like advancing your character in a certain way (like through hacking and slashing, or roleplay, or questing)?

     

    If you like roleplay..

    Do you like permadeath / a hardcore roleplaying experience?

    Do you like slower-paced games where players make long emotes back and forth, or games where people make smaller posts but much quicker?

     

    There's a site called The MUD Connector that you can use to search by some of these criteria, but if you ask in this thread, maybe we can help you out.

  • Smaqu2002Smaqu2002 Austin, TXPosts: 11Member Uncommon

    Discworld MUD is a great game to try.

    image

    Show me on the doll where RageQuit touched you...

  • ParchmentParchment EST, MAPosts: 24Member

    Originally posted by Khaeros

    There's lots out there, but it really depends on what you are looking for.

     

    Are you looking for a MUD that enforces roleplaying? How about one that has a certain theme/setting?  How many people on one MUD is 'populated' enough for you (understanding that in these times, a MUD with 100+ players at once is considered quite popular)?  Do you like advancing your character in a certain way (like through hacking and slashing, or roleplay, or questing)?

     

    If you like roleplay..

    Do you like permadeath / a hardcore roleplaying experience?

    Do you like slower-paced games where players make long emotes back and forth, or games where people make smaller posts but much quicker?

     

    There's a site called The MUD Connector that you can use to search by some of these criteria, but if you ask in this thread, maybe we can help you out.

    My preference is toward RPing MUDs. I'd much rather RP, though I have nothing against fighting. The kind of fighting I like is  the type that is done for RP purposes, not just to gain levels.

    I don't mind typing out text for a RP, as long as it isn't paragraph long free emoting. On death, as long as death is a serious part of the game and not taken lightly then it would be fine with me. Population doesn't have to be huge,  20 players online average would be fine; even less than that would work.

    The only MUDs I've been able to find that are similiar to the above posts are the Skotos games (which I've played extensively)  and I can't seem to find any alternatives.

     

    Thanks for the posts so far.

    One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

  • KhaerosKhaeros Monroe, NYPosts: 452Member

    Originally posted by Turnus

    My preference is toward RPing MUDs. I'd much rather RP, though I have nothing against fighting. The kind of fighting I like is  the type that is done for RP purposes, not just to gain levels.

    I don't mind typing out text for a RP, as long as it isn't paragraph long free emoting. On death, as long as death is a serious part of the game and not taken lightly then it would be fine with me. Population doesn't have to be huge,  20 players online average would be fine; even less than that would work.

    The only MUDs I've been able to find that are similiar to the above posts are the Skotos games (which I've played extensively)  and I can't seem to find any alternatives.

     

    Thanks for the posts so far.

     

    Alright.  I'll make a few suggestions.  They'll all be RP enforced, or required.  They will also be permadeath suggestions, since (IMO) that's the major motivation for taking death seriously.  Don't worry too much about it though - if you get killed without any reason, there's usually a way to contest your death.

     

    There's a subset of MUDs that label themselves 'RPI', or role-play intensive.  The label is pretty accurate, but it's come to denote a certain type of MUD that has certain characteristics.  These include permadeath, no global chat (so you're IC 99% of the time), the inability to see someone's name unless through some sort of meeting, character applications required, and some other minor things.  It's not very hack-and-slash, but there's combat code still.  Though you won't go out killing rats to level up - it's all about the RP.

     

    Some games that are labeled RPI:

     

    Shadows of Isildur - Middle Earth setting.  It's currenty closed, working on a re-opening.  Definitely a popular MUD though, so keep an eye on this if you like the setting.

    Armageddon - set in a harsh desert world.  Probably the most unfriendly setting of all three (in an IC way, not OOC), but if you're the kind of person that wants a challenge like that, it could be really fun!

    Atonement - post-apocalyptic, set in 2525.  Never tried it myself!

     

    Here's a non-RPI mud that has similar qualities:

     

    Legends of the Jedi - a permadeath MUD set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, of course. 

     

    There's plenty more, but I think the games above fit your requirements very well, and were the ones to immediately come to mind upon reading your post.  If none of these come out and grab you, then you can make a more specific set of requirements and we can go from there.

    Or, if you want more information on one of them from me, I can give you something more in-depth on the ones that actually interest you.

     

  • ParchmentParchment EST, MAPosts: 24Member

     

    I'm going to check out Armageddon for sure. The MUD I've played the longest in my time has been one called Castle Marrach and it  was RP enforced but instead of free emoting it had a complex verb system. Any idea how Armageddon compares in that aspect?

    My former MUD was also more about social status and rising the political ladder, so to speak. Is Armageddon more about surviving in the world? 

    I also found this MUD as well:

    http://crossroadsmush.com/wiki/Crossroads_MUSH

    Have you heard of it?

    Thanks for all this help, I really appreciate it.



     

    One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

  • KhaerosKhaeros Monroe, NYPosts: 452Member

    Originally posted by Turnus

     

    I'm going to check out Armageddon for sure. The MUD I've played the longest in my time has been one called Castle Marrach and it  was RP enforced but instead of free emoting it had a complex verb system. Any idea how Armageddon compares in that aspect?

    My former MUD was also more about social status and rising the political ladder, so to speak. Is Armageddon more about surviving in the world? 

    I also found this MUD as well:

    http://crossroadsmush.com/wiki/Crossroads_MUSH

    Have you heard of it?

    Thanks for all this help, I really appreciate it.



     

    Those RPI muds don't use the typical socials like just typing 'smile'.  What happens is you can type a string that takes arguments and it will create an emote with any objects or people you want.  So it's basically a free emote system, but with the ability to interact with the actual room.

    For example, let's say we're in a room with:

    A burly, muscular man (a player)

    A mahogany bar stool

     

    You could do something like:

    emote strides confidently into the bar, taking a seat on #stool and grinning wickedly at $burly

    and it would appear:

    A thin, sharp-nosed man strides confidently into the bar, taking a seat on a mahogany bar stool and grinning wickedly at a burly, muscular man.

     

    And it would substitute 'you' wherever needed.  The emote systems in RPIs are usually pretty robust and there's much more you can do with them.

     

     

    Armageddon definitely has a political aspect, as there's different social castes and if you decide to stick it to someone who's higher up on the food chain, you could be in some serious trouble.  I've never spent too much time with the nobility, but I'm sure you can rise up in power if you give it an opportunity.  From what I understand, the high-up positions are all held by players.  Armageddon is about surviving, but that's really when you're a commoner.  If you decide to try and become a noble, it might be more about the social ladder, like your previous MUD.

     

    I avoided mentioning MUSHes because these are usually the games that those paragraph-long poses happen on.  There's an implied pose order where players usually take turns emoting.  Looking through the RP logs on the site, the poses aren't that huge, so maybe this might be a good MUSH to start with.  MUSHes typically have limited code involving combat, so expect to be roleplaying much more than fighting.  From my experience, MUSH combat with other players requires some kind of Judge to oversee the fight and lay down ground rules (if they use some kind of dice roll system).  In addition, character advancement happens through roleplay - whether a staff member decides to personally reward you, or another player uses a command to give you XP for good roleplay.

    Other than that, I haven't played that specific MUSH, but you can always give it a try if you like what you see on the site.

  • ParchmentParchment EST, MAPosts: 24Member

    Alright, thanks. I'm going to submit an application for Armageddon tonight.

     

    One last thing if you don't mind? Do you have a specific MUD Client you'd reccomend?  

     

    Edit: I've downloaded the CMUD and Portal clients. I've have taken a liking to the Portal client but I'm not sure if the clients are worth the price? 

    One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

  • marks4902marks4902 putnam valley, NYPosts: 133Member

    try this page too http://mudstats.com/

  • KhaerosKhaeros Monroe, NYPosts: 452Member

    Originally posted by Turnus

    Alright, thanks. I'm going to submit an application for Armageddon tonight.

     

    One last thing if you don't mind? Do you have a specific MUD Client you'd reccomend?  

     

    Edit: I've downloaded the CMUD and Portal clients. I've have taken a liking to the Portal client but I'm not sure if the clients are worth the price? 

    I personally use MUSHclient.  It's free and has a lot of features.  I've never used CMUD / Portal so I don't know how they compare, but if you end up liking one over the other, it might be worth it to buy one.  Just note that you should only buy a client if you really want the advanced features it gives you - otherwise, you're better off with a simple client like gmud or the free MUSHclient.

  • NomiMNomiM Troy, NYPosts: 21Member

    A few years ago, I was looking for a good MUD for a long time too, then I found Achaea from Iron Realms. I've been playing it since. It's a great MUD with a lot of RP and great PvP, maybe it's right for you too? Haven't played Armageddon before, but Achaea's playerbase is pretty huge for a MUD.

  • penelopaepenelopae Washington, DCPosts: 5Member

    Originally posted by ReanA

    A few years ago, I was looking for a good MUD for a long time too, then I found Achaea from Iron Realms. I've been playing it since. It's a great MUD with a lot of RP and great PvP, maybe it's right for you too? Haven't played Armageddon before, but Achaea's playerbase is pretty huge for a MUD.

    I tried Achaea, but a lot of the houses encouraged PvP, which I didn't really like. I found Imperian much more fun, especially since it offered more diverse crafting / merchant opportunities and let people be more creative with their designs. Achaea is a little more strict for me, personally. Don't get me wrong, it makes it a great game, very tight knit on the spelling and grammar, but Imperian is just more free-form for those who like strict RP and questing, IMHO. All of the games from Iron Realms have their own unique flavor. I think there is probably something for everyone. :)

  • ParchmentParchment EST, MAPosts: 24Member

    Alright, I'll take a look into MUSHClient as well, then!

    I've played a few of Iron Realm's Games as well. They're pretty good quality-wise, but I prefer games more RP-focuesed. They were fun while I played them, though. The last one I tried was called 'Mikedemia' I think.

     

    Edit: Midkemia was its actual name!

    One does not simply telnet into Mordor.

  • NomiMNomiM Troy, NYPosts: 21Member

    Achaea's RP settings vastly vary depending on where you are and who you interact with. There are different people in every house and city, and each of them have different preferences. The Occultists of Ashtan are a phenomenal RP house, and I've heard Mhaldor is fantastic as well. 

     

    It's easy to just try it once and then get overwhelmed or meet a few bad apples, but it's definitely worth a second chance. :)

  • InktomiInktomi merrick, NYPosts: 663Member

    Have you tried Batmuds? It's been advertised on the wee bottom banner of this site. I went to the website, downloaded the client and never followed through. Got sidetracked by a new game.

Sign In or Register to comment.