Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: Skyrim - The Briefest of Reviews

24

Comments

  • TealaTeala SomewherePosts: 7,430Member Uncommon

    Good review!  It pretty much sums up the game and its "life stealing" vamparic quality.   Just when I think OK I can log for a bit and go watch a movie or go for a walk, call a friend and chat for a bit..."Oooo....shiney."

    image
  • LuxumaruLuxumaru New York, NYPosts: 250Member
    I play Skyrim on my PC and I have zero issues navigating the UI. I find to be an improvement over Oblivion's since I always wished I could use my keyboard to mange inventory, skills, etc. I also have yet to see any of these terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-bugs people complain about.

    Total MMOs played: 174|Enjoyed: 7. >:|

  • eric_w66eric_w66 North Richland Hills, TXPosts: 1,006Member Uncommon

    My Lydia sits in my house in Winterrun or whatever town it is... I figured out quickly that companions suck. They even give you a lesson in this right off the bat when you have to follow the guy out of the town you're about to be beheaded in. So, when I got Lydia, I told her to stay inside my house. And she does. :D

  • banshe13banshe13 aurora, ILPosts: 200Member

    Is this a joke on the graphics part  they are ok to good  not grate and far from stunning.  Have you even looked at the the wall's and plants.  They are green spots  the walls and every thing is shiny like they are painted with a coat of crushed glass and gems.  

     

    The faces all have tiny block's on them and I could go on and on.   I am not saying it is a bad game but stop your lie's.   Yes I do play on ultra setting .    Skyrim  is notthing my a ps3/x box game   with a PC port  and it should not be that way.   It should have been made for the PC and then dumbed down for the ps3/ x box.

  • DKKOberonDKKOberon Lafayette, LAPosts: 75Member

    title is 'briefest of reviews', author states reviews ain't his thing, comedy is.....and still they can't just read what is written but see what they want to criticize for that superior feeling they get....oh orgasmic......

    critics get a life and just enjoy the article.



     

  • JorviasJorvias Palo Alto, CAPosts: 13Member

    I got my first companion (the dark elf chick) killed, so I leave Lydia at home because I like having a retainer and don't want her to die. Uthgerd the Unbroken is my current traveling duffle bag.

    Stormlord Jorvias
    Fryer of Conductive Foes

  • TardcoreTardcore MinskPosts: 2,325Member



    Originally posted by Supersoups








    Originally posted by Ozmodan







    Sorry, but that was a failed review.  You failed to mention the horrendous design of the UI?  Shame such a great game is taken down a couple pegs by the failure of Bethesda to modifiy the UI for the PC.  That is a major issue far as I am concerned.  Yes people will eventually make mods to fix this oversight, but it does effect initial gameplay a lot.














     





    THis is failed review because he didn't mention UI? which by the way is not hated by everyone. When positive outweigh negatives by land slide it is much better to focus on the positives.










     





    Stepping out of my psychotic troll persona about this game for a minute, I would like to say I actually understand and pretty much agree with this idea. However I would like to add one important caveat. I feel that excellent games should be examined with more scrutiny and be held to a higher standard of exellence than mediocre ones. The reason why I say this is becuase Skyrim is going to be the kind of game other companies look at for a template when they start designing future titles. If one of the ideas they take away from this game is that "The enjoyment of PC gamers dosen't really matter", then we who are PC gamers are going to be deeply f**ked in the near future.

     

     

    If you like the UI or don't really mind playing a console game on your PC, fair enough. But if any of you out there do feel that given your druthers you would like to have seen something different UI-wise, you should speak up and not let such a thing slide. Mainly because of all companies out there, Bethesda actually seems the kind who would listen, and secondly because if you don't you may end up playing all your games this way very soon. If you are given any games at all.

     

     

    And as usually Mr Coyote, great job on "Teh Funny". Add me to the list of people who found the companion AI rather less than steller.

     

    With the exception of loot whore mule, the only other useful thing I found for them was to be comic relief. Nothing I saw in game made me laugh harder than my elfin companion tearassing off around a corner after a drauger only to come flying back into the wall at high speed after triggering the big swinging spiked door trap in the dungeon where you go get the dragons stone and the golden claw.


    image

    "Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

  • MithrandolirMithrandolir The Deep Woods, NJPosts: 1,698Member Uncommon

    So I just picked up the game yesterday and dug into it in the wee hours of this morning. Just came up for air. Completely agree with the reviewer here. This game is beyond amazing.

     

     

  • nate1980nate1980 Evans, GAPosts: 1,829Member

    I play on the PS3, so I've had no crashes and only 1 bug in the 30ish hours I've played so far, and those problems with the companion the author speaks about doesn't exist for me. The companion sheethes their weapon when I do, sneaks when I sneak, and if we're attacked they'll usually attack with bow first before using close combat if I'm not rushing forward. I guess the PC players must have got screwed or something.

  • ShmawShmaw Edmonton, ABPosts: 85Member

    Excellent.  I am loving Skyrim currently

  • BergirBergir Toronto, ONPosts: 299Member

    Excellent review! I waited to read player feedback and within a day i grabbed Skyrim, your review would have sealed the deal had i any reservations.



     

  • FastTxFastTx PTBO, ONPosts: 756Member

    Originally posted by nate1980

    I play on the PS3, so I've had no crashes and only 1 bug in the 30ish hours I've played so far, and those problems with the companion the author speaks about doesn't exist for me. The companion sheethes their weapon when I do, sneaks when I sneak, and if we're attacked they'll usually attack with bow first before using close combat if I'm not rushing forward. I guess the PC players must have got screwed or something.

    I found that worked for a bit, but once I got some sick Sneaking gear I found that my companion didn't get those effects and usually was spotted before me, ruining everything I did. I'd say companions are more suited for characters who aren't sneaky assassins. :/

  • almagillalmagill ScotlandPosts: 279Member

    Somebody needs to go down to teh store and pick up a copy for me because am STILL stuck trying to get a couple of Co-op missions completed in BF3 without either 'you have lost connection to EA", the other player rage quitting (seriously, I am sh*t in co-op)  or simply 'You have failed because blah de blah blah died".

     

    Dragons you say?

    Companions you say?

    Elf chicks you say?

    That you can use like a duffle bag?

     

    Maybe I'll wander down to the store myself...

     

    *********************
    So, you all sat in camps and that was fun?
    *********************

  • ChinaCatChinaCat Mars Hotel, CAPosts: 670Member

    Amazing game !!!!   Get it.

    The game is among the best I've ever played for a single player game.  It may actually be the best and I've played PC games since the mid 80's.   I run the PC version and my son plays the Xbox version.   Runs perfect on my PC (specs below) at "high" settings by default and can easily run on Ultra.  Game looks 100x better on the PC and provides 8 quick slots as opposed to the Xbox 2 quick slots.   The interface is actually a bit of a pain regardless of platforms but game play owns.

    If you have a choice, get the PC version.   I've played 26 hours so far and worst bug I've seen is a kick to desktop for no appearant reason.  In 26 hours that's happened about 4 times.

    Bethesda has announced they are working on a cross platform patch.  No ETA.

    OS: Vista 64

    CPU: E8400 @3.0 Dual Core

    RAM: 4gigs

    GPU: Nividial 470 GTX

    HD: WD Velociraptor

    Sound: Creative Labs Champion X-Fi

    Monitor: Samsung 245T 24" 1920 x 1200 Native

    Mouse: Razor Naga

    Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 Surround Sound (Works Perfectly. As I look around the sound comes from the correct directions. Just incredible)

     

    -CC

    "Lately it occurs to me,
    what a long, strange trip it's been". -Hunter

  • KizzattaKizzatta Vancouver, WAPosts: 59Member
    Terribad menu UI and glitches/few crashes. Swapping spells and weapons with the same in both hands is ATROCIOUS. Still 10/10, game is so damn fun!!!
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite ManilaPosts: 879Member

    I dunno why would anyone take your review seriously. For me it was a fun read! :D

  • ravtecravtec HolmestrandPosts: 214Member
    Good read
    Im quite impressed by what they created here, i have not playd a game like this in years.
    i wish this journey would never end

    As everyone else i did struggle alot with the ui in the start but now it's just mildly annoyingp
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Posts: 872Member Uncommon

    Graphics & Gameplay:

    Designed for the consoles and Bethesda made no real attempt to utilise what modern PC's are capable of; hence some of the first mods available are graphics upgrades so your first point should have been 'could have done better'.

     

    Interface is again designed for consoles making it cumbersome on the PC and needing to stop the game and enter a menu just to change which spell you want to cast should have been left behind long ago; someone should tell Bethesda that the PC CAN actually use hotkeys. 

     

    Companions:

    Are you serious about this being the most advanved AI created?  An AI that is incapable of stepping up onto anything more than a few inches high or hopping across a two foot gap?  OMG the master just hopped over a two foot gap; I know, I'll take the three mile roundabout route and run into just about everything dangerous that happens to be on the way.  I have stopped using the companions because frankly they are dumber than your average rock.  The companion AI in Mass Efeect or Dragon Age is a hundred times better than Skyrim.

     

    Dragons:

    Oh yeah! you mean those flying newts that conveniently show up everytime you need a dragon soul.  Those lizards that in one fell swoop manage to completely destroy the perception that Dragons are actually mean and dangerous mother F****ers that should have you crapping your collective pants?  I stood there and watched one dragon get it's ass kicked by an ice troll ffs.  Even the big bad dragon Alduin aint all that big or bad to be honest; unless of course you hit one of the major bugs in the game that prevents him from taking damage, good job on that one Bethesda.

     

    Skyrim is a decent game that treated the PC conversion as an afterthought.  There are plot holes, bugs & errors aplenty which if Bethesdas track record is anything to go by will be fixed by the modders before the devs ever get around to it.

     

    I love your satirical stuff mate but honestly, leave the reviews to the reviewers; at least we know that they get paid to give glowing reviews.

  • KaezKaez Nepean, ONPosts: 80Member
    Haha "F U, I'm a Dragon!" Lol brilliant! And yes I WILL be picking this up. I wasn't convinced before but I certainly am now :)
  • ComplicationComplication Bonsall, CAPosts: 209Member







    Originally posted by MarlonB





    You guys do know you can gear up the companion, right? :) The companion that you can pick up in Riften is a mage .. he's pretty usefull.













    My biggest gripe with them ... they always go stand in doorways and block your path!!













    I used the barrels outside the blacksmith in Whiterun to store my ore's (100's) and dragon bones and scales ... been doing that for days. Yesterday i got there ... and the barrels have somehow reset .. it had 2 apples :(













    And i love the ragdoll effects!! ... i've had half an hour fun just dragging along and piling corpses :P






























    Also received the beta invite for SWTOR this weekend ... threw it away !














































     






















     




    why in the world would you store all your ore and dragon bones and such in a barrel by the forge?! hahahaha!!




    you know the blacksmith probably went to put something in it and was like OH SHIT!? JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then threw in a few apples so you could have a snack while you kick yourself









    EDIT!!!!!!!






     






     why is everyone breathing down Coyote's neck about this "not being a real review", boo!!!!! Die in a fire Coyote type replies.






     






    Have you not read any of his articles before? and did you not read the opening to this one? he even states that this review is gonna suck ass because he A) wants to get back to playing and B) probably could care less.






     






    F$#king sweet review Coyote.



  • marinridermarinrider Tomball, TXPosts: 1,556Member

    Originally posted by eric1000

    Graphics & Gameplay:

    Designed for the consoles and Bethesda made no real attempt to utilise what modern PC's are capable of; hence some of the first mods available are graphics upgrades so your first point should have been 'could have done better'.

     

    Interface is again designed for consoles making it cumbersome on the PC and needing to stop the game and enter a menu just to change which spell you want to cast should have been left behind long ago; someone should tell Bethesda that the PC CAN actually use hotkeys. 

     

    Companions:

    Are you serious about this being the most advanved AI created?  An AI that is incapable of stepping up onto anything more than a few inches high or hopping across a two foot gap?  OMG the master just hopped over a two foot gap; I know, I'll take the three mile roundabout route and run into just about everything dangerous that happens to be on the way.  I have stopped using the companions because frankly they are dumber than your average rock.  The companion AI in Mass Efeect or Dragon Age is a hundred times better than Skyrim.

     

    Dragons:

    Oh yeah! you mean those flying newts that conveniently show up everytime you need a dragon soul.  Those lizards that in one fell swoop manage to completely destroy the perception that Dragons are actually mean and dangerous mother F****ers that should have you crapping your collective pants?  I stood there and watched one dragon get it's ass kicked by an ice troll ffs.  Even the big bad dragon Alduin aint all that big or bad to be honest; unless of course you hit one of the major bugs in the game that prevents him from taking damage, good job on that one Bethesda.

     

    Skyrim is a decent game that treated the PC conversion as an afterthought.  There are plot holes, bugs & errors aplenty which if Bethesdas track record is anything to go by will be fixed by the modders before the devs ever get around to it.

     

    I love your satirical stuff mate but honestly, leave the reviews to the reviewers; at least we know that they get paid to give glowing reviews.

    Oblivion - PC had hotkeys, not sure why Skyrim doesnt.  Kind of bugs me too.  Not much of the rest bothers me too much though.  The Companion AI is horrid, but they are good at carrying stuff, so not a big deal.  And while Bethesda didnt put much work into making it advanced, the game still looks great to me on Ultra, but I will certainly get the graphics mods when they are finished.  But after Update 1 the UI is a little better.  But I used the keyboard version for so long that I'm used to it.

  • HomituHomitu Hometown, HIPosts: 2,030Member

    Originally posted by MarlonB

    You guys do know you can gear up the companion, right? :) The companion that you can pick up in Riften is a mage .. he's pretty usefull.

    My biggest gripe with them ... they always go stand in doorways and block your path!!

    I used the barrels outside the blacksmith in Whiterun to store my ore's (100's) and dragon bones and scales ... been doing that for days. Yesterday i got there ... and the barrels have somehow reset .. it had 2 apples :(

    And i love the ragdoll effects!! ... i've had half an hour fun just dragging along and piling corpses :P






    Also received the beta invite for SWTOR this weekend ... threw it away !

    All external containers will reset.  I know the developers had said that in an interview some time ago.  I also saw it once as a quick tip during a loading screen in game.  

    The only place to store items permanently is inside your house as well as the containers therein.  It is sad to learn the hard way though :(

    I also got my SW beta invite this past weekend.  Baaaaad timing :/  I can't see myself using it atm.  I just wouldn't be able to get into the game with Skyrim on my mind!

  • fustermanfusterman panama city, FLPosts: 5Member

    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

    You, sir, have just made the most compelling of arguments for me to pick up this game; even though I couldn't get into Morrowind or Oblivion


     

     

    I have never been able to get into Bethesda games. Bought Skyrim, I've played 60+ hours and am loving every minute of it.

  • tristanryantristanryan Elkton, VAPosts: 233Member

    Absolutely positively one of the best reviews ive ever read on this website. Check my history, i dont praise you guys very often. I like this guy and hope you increase his pay and would really enjoy more of his humorous yet accurate reviews in the future.

    Please!

     

    This post will be so far down the list i doubt any management will even read my request:(

  • Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Arkham Asylum, NYPosts: 28Member

    Originally posted by tristanryan

    Absolutely positively one of the best reviews ive ever read on this website. Check my history, i dont praise you guys very often. I like this guy and hope you increase his pay and would really enjoy more of his humorous yet accurate reviews in the future.


     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.