Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine That Vanguard Was Going Free to Play...

13»

Comments

• NitrockNitrock Member UncommonPosts: 86

Originally posted by eddieg50

Imagine all the people playing f2p, I dont know if you can, a massive amount of diplomats, a brotherhood of man, Imagine all the People whoooo hooooo , You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope one day you will join us and the Vanguard universe will be as one.

I agree, this game needs f2p or a lot more marketing. I have tried this game out a few times and it's really good and has the potential to be great, but every time I give it a shot and see how empty the world is, it's quite sad.

• GoldenGateGoldenGate Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Kyleran

Smedley is now a fan of the F2P model, pretty sure the EQ2 Extended server is bringing in cash hand over fist and he was never one to overlook a good opportunity to make a buck.

Of course he won't overlook an opportunity to make a buck. That's his job. SOE is a real company, and everything. With employees, facilities, and even shareholders. The whole idea is that they can drive customers to "pay them a buck".

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Originally posted by shinkan

Its still a SOE game so no.

This ^^

Fool me once, twice...etc.. same goes with Cryptic

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I don't play anymore and doubt I would if it was a cash shop f2p type. I wouldn't mind an alternative limited subscription f2pish type though. Maybe $5 a month and pay for level caps, like $5 every 10 levels. Start off free to level 10 on IoD, then if you want to be able to level to 20, $5, level 30 another $5 and so on. People might be more inclined to stick with the game if they just had to pay $5 a month with a few fees. Could work since you can't really charge for sections of the game.

AO does something similar. Think the game is free for a lot of levels, but to go further you have to pay. I can see something like that working with Vanguard. There are a couple older games I would have stuck with or pop in periodically if they dropped down to even $10 a month. it is not that the extra $5 is so much more, just the games aren't really worth it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CrazylikeCrazylike Member CommonPosts: 89

I would definetly consider playing this game if it had a bigger population, which would automaticly come if it turned F2P, so I vote yes PLEASE for that to happen :)

• najob75najob75 Member UncommonPosts: 48

John Smedly on question: "how about making vanguard saga of Heroes ftp... If not just kill the game already"

Answer: "STAY TUNED..."

http://twitter.com/#!/j_smedley

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by najob75

John Smedly on question: "how about making vanguard saga of Heroes ftp... If not just kill the game already"

So its going F2P? w00t!

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

They'll never do anything for VG.

Regardless of what J$ says.

It's in direct competition with EQ2, hell, it has as much content AND a decent engine so in some key elements it's superior.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Lashley

Originally posted by najob75

So its going F2P? w00t!

Stay tuned could also mean further support on the game, which they have said VG will get.  I wouldn't jump straight to F2P

• KieveenKieveen Member Posts: 4

I would play again if it was F2P.  I think it would bring in  allot more players and that was my biggest  problem  with the game not enough player base.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I doubt they are going to be jealous about Vanguard over EQ 2 .It is money to them if people play Vanguard so why would it bother them that it would compete with EQ 2.The money goes to them in the end. So F2P will be a good move.

Chamber of Chains
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by trouser03

Voted other as i'm a "former" Vanguard player that would be excited to come back if it went FTP. Quit playing as I think it's pretty close to criminal to charge for a game with zero support. I don't think VG will EVER get FULL support so would only support some form of FTP where I decide how much i'm willing to pay.

This is exactly how I feel...If it did got F2P I could at least get My Guild to download the Game and try it out...As it is now there is no way they would try it out because it's not really supported...I still think this is a great Game and as a F2P it would see a nice bump...But as a $15 per Month game it's dead in the water...Especially with all the Fantasy MMO's out there already, and the likes of GW2 and Tera right around the corner...image

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

They are getting rid of the exchange. That only makes me think a marketplace is coming.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

depends on the type of F2P. If it goes like LoTRO/D&DO where you can buy abilities and performance enchances with money then I won't even bother trying it.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It's going F2P for sure - just look at the writing on the wall.

1.  Devs back on the project - first update coming in a few weeks - first game update in YEARS.

2.  New update SCREAMS of changes made for broader audiences and accessibility for new players.

3.  Many comments from devs on the forums recently about big announcement coming about future plans, but that they can't quite talk about it just yet.

4.  SOE game line up is getting lighter and lighter with SWG gone now.  Add to that the flop of DCUO, cancelling of The Agency, disregard of Free Realms and they need Vanguard.

It's going F2P - and when it does a crap ton of people are going to learn the game they were always wanting to play already existed.  And I'll be throwing my SWTOR out the window as I run back too.  With the promise of new players and steady development attention - I'll be back for good, and my guess is that many others will also.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Ftp AND substantial developer support would get me back in a heartbeat.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I would like Vanguard f2p...and would play it.

Think the game seems pretty damn cool but have just no interest at all playing an unpopulated mmo.

If it was f2p it would be more populated.   Then I'd play.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i used to p2p vg ..i no longer do cuz it was soo dead...id deff play vg if it was free cuz f2p games have pretty decent population and people to grp with..if it went f2p it would deff bring some life to the title

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I want it f2p. Issue is, considering where its from,  chances are the f2p model would be rather poor. Lets not pretend EQ2 f2p model is good at all, its pretty much a model example of how NOT to do f2p. It screws over subscribers and f2p players alike. If its different then that, then I can be all for it.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I dont think F2P will happen, simply because that would be much additional work and the population is down.