Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Skyrim - The Briefest of Reviews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Like everyone else around here, it appears that our own Coyote is embroiled in Skyrim, the most MMO-like non-MMO on the planet. In his latest Coyote's Howling, Mr. Sharptongue gives his thoughts about and a teeny tiny review of Skyrim. See what you think and then add a few comments of your own!

That being said, I’ve dedicated more time to playing Skyrim in the past week than I have sleeping, working, or spending any type of quality time with my family and loved ones. But let’s be honest with each other; exceptionally well made video games have been scarce as of late, and your family is always just… there.

And they rarely contain dragons.

Read more Coyote's Howling: Skyrim - The Briefest of Reviews.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Lets just say the writers prose........was not to my liking.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

You, sir, have just made the most compelling of arguments for me to pick up this game; even though I couldn't get into Morrowind or Oblivion

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

According to the guy sitting next to me, if you're letting a dragon circle you without killing it with your bow and arrow, you're doing it wrong.

I have no comment on that because I don't have the game yet.

** edit **
    You just shoot it with your bow, you probably won't kill it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Well if your the slighests intrested in RPG this game is must for sure.

And about UI and constrolls when playing on PC it takes bit of time but after while and remap some spells its second nature and not that bad.

52 houres played and only 18% done so far:)

One of best games in years no doub about that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

OMG That was awsome :)   I get anoyed every time I go to hand Lyian an item and she gives me that snooty response.. Really thought about killing her a couple times.. LOL 

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Best yet - Skyrim has no Kung Fu pandas for pandering to a Chinese market.
  • face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

I couldn't help but laugh my way through this. Well said..........

And poor Lydia, she was a fine meat shield, Got the poor girl killed when I decided to kite a giant...well the giant was a 10 death ordeal, but some goofy frost dragon showed up right about the time of its death and I couldn't save the poor girl. The worst part was the dang dragon drops(yeah the death of the dragon took about 10 or more deaths because I was determined..), got me super encumbered and I wasn't about to give up my loots. Super slow walk back to town without my "duffle bag"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

hehe nice write up :)

game is aweosme best thing to land this year and i love bf3 but i aint played since skyrim came out lol

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Sorry, but that was a failed review.  You failed to mention the horrendous design of the UI?  Shame such a great game is taken down a couple pegs by the failure of Bethesda to modifiy the UI for the PC.  That is a major issue far as I am concerned.  Yes people will eventually make mods to fix this oversight, but it does effect initial gameplay a lot.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Sorry, but that was a failed review.  You failed to mention the horrendous design of the UI?  Shame such a great game is taken down a couple pegs by the failure of Bethesda to modifiy the UI for the PC.  That is a major issue far as I am concerned.  Yes people will eventually make mods to fix this oversight, but it does effect initial gameplay a lot.

THis is failed review because he didn't mention UI? which by the way is not hated by everyone. When positive outweigh negatives by land slide it is much better to focus on the positives.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

1)  The UI is good... if you use a controller on your PC.  Which, I do now.  I'm a convert.  It's just so much easier.

2)  The dragons are dicks because they keep showin up in towns. They've killed 3 shop keepers thus far.  How the heck am I supposed to get rid of stuff if the dragons keep killing the important people.  I could care less about the kid wanting to play tag or the silly guards.  Why would you kill the all important people who are willing to buy my dungeon crap?!?!  

3)  Companions blow.  They're so dumb.  Run right into the fray, nekid, and die.  They don't even attempt to dodge.  (le sigh)

• Mr.CoyoteMr.Coyote Member Posts: 28

Sorry, but that was a failed review.  You failed to mention the horrendous design of the UI?  

From the article: "The only other flaw I can find with the game is the fact that some of the interface menus are a bit cumbersome and non-intuitive, and allow you to do things like “go 16 levels without knowing that you have a really nasty disease”.  "

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

I have to disagree with the AI of the companions. They run all over and attack anything, even when its off the path of the road. There path finding when following you is a bit off too. At times they seem to try and find there own route to your destination rather then follow the path you have taken. Also, I survive allot longer in melee combat then the warrior type companions do, and I am wearing light armor and more of my skill is in archery, not melee. Because of there AI and weakness, I have only used them a few times in the 30 hours I have played so far, mostly because the game forced you too, for specific quests.

Other then that, the game is tight.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

"So in appreciation of the game and the need of a finished article so that I can get back to playing it, I’ll try to highlight a few of the many things that make this game truly exceptional get this over with as quickly as possible."

Reading between the lines it's easy to recognize your self-admitted slacking for what it is ^_^

't was indeed a lousy excuse for a review and a fun read as usual. Well done! +1

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Also i would like to mention here something for Coyote.

You can place baskets on peoples head and then steal their stuff without them noticing

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

It dint affect my gameplay experience sofar and whit some small fixes like the size of the ui and sliders it only gets better.

every single part still got its own key and theres a general TAB key for easy acces. esc gives you the kill stats and stuff. target health bar is clear , your bar is clear .  Q for favorite markt items and spells.

its a console port UI but it works fine for me and aint game breaking in any way.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

You guys do know you can gear up the companion, right? :) The companion that you can pick up in Riften is a mage .. he's pretty usefull.

My biggest gripe with them ... they always go stand in doorways and block your path!!

I used the barrels outside the blacksmith in Whiterun to store my ore's (100's) and dragon bones and scales ... been doing that for days. Yesterday i got there ... and the barrels have somehow reset .. it had 2 apples :(

And i love the ragdoll effects!! ... i've had half an hour fun just dragging along and piling corpses :P

Also received the beta invite for SWTOR this weekend ... threw it away !

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Poor battlefield 3. I haven't logged onto you since Skyrim came out.

Best

Game

Ever.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

really a major issue ?

I dont think i would call it a major issue at all.. maybe a slight annoyance that you soon get used to.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I find the UI just fine, I actualy enjoy it with mouse and keyboard. No issues here!
  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

What a jolly review sire!!!

And for companions, get a horse

http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/koma-comic-strip-better-than-any-follower.jpg

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

"If you’re not playing Skyrim, you are wrong"

I LOL'd

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by Enerzeal

Poor battlefield 3. I haven't logged onto you since Skyrim came out.

Best

Game

Ever.

Same here. Got to rank 29 in BF3 before Skyrim released. I'm still rank 29.

I was, for some unknown reason, trying to stay away from The Dark Brotherhood in this playthrough. But i just couldn't. After completing their quests-line, i can just say it was one hell of a trip.

This game is just so packed with awesome, "meaningfull" stuff to do. Often in similar games i'd mostly go for the "main quests", and when it's over i had no real lust to do the side-quests, since they were usually useless in one way or another. I've logged 54 hours in Skyrim thus far, and i've done 7 (yes SEVEN) of the main quests. In total i've done a horde of other quests and they were all more or less awesome and served some sort of compelling purpose. It's like i've already played through on of the best single player games in my life, but i've still just barely touched it's surface.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

its sat there ready to be played when I can put BF3 down for any part of my waking hours not spent working.

And dammit Arkham CIty just round the corner also.  OH and TOR but I'm feeling very meh about that one now.

• JooknowJooknow Member Posts: 18

This is almost a troll post, which is slightly upsetting because I usually agree with your comments, Ozmodan. 

Coyote does mention that the UI is cumbersome and I agree.  That said, it's not game-breaking, which is not to say that Bethesda couldn't stand to do a better job.  Anyways, even if Coyote had failed to mention it, his review was still far from failed.  It was clearly meant to be more humerous that a super-serious-let's-talk-about-every-little-aspect-of-the-game review. 

I laughed.  I enjoyed this review.