Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2 to be F2P (sorta)

TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

I found this (source) quite interesting. Does anyone know how League of Legends system works?

"In an interview with Chinese site 17173.com, SOE's John Smedley shared some revealing details about PlanetSide 2, including the fact that the upcoming MMO shooter will be free.

MMOsite carried the English version of the story early this morning, but there were a few points that were lost in translation. So we contacted Smedley for clarification, and he said that while he had previously mentioned that the game will be "some form of free-to-play," SOE is not prepared to announce specifics just yet, but we should "expect something that will be very player friendly." He mentioned that a Blizzard-style auction house won't be a part of that plan but that he was fond of what League of Legends had done with its system."

Comments

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Thank goodness subs killed ps1.

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• oscarkool2oscarkool2 Member Posts: 127

Smedley if you ever read this: brilliant idea.  League of Legends obviously is doing it right.  Make all of the features of PS2 free to play, but have skins and other such things cost credits which can be earned in-game or purchased through the game.  I'd suggest make classes/vehicles/guns unlockable but also where a select 8 or so become free for a week.

Riot has the best system right now and it's why they're currently one of the most profitable games online.  Offer high value and people will give you more money.  Offer low value (ie stupid cash shops where you have to buy everything to be competitive) and the game dies.

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

This.

As a League of Legends fan, I was blown away by how they handled their cash shops and game. I have paid Zero (0) bucks on the game, but have gotten a hell of a block of entertainment hours from their game. They know that there are players like me who are paying them nothing, and yet they reward me for being a good player with points to spend on everything available in the game that has a function. Nothing is witheld.

By the same token, they can and will ban and shut down accounts of free people who are abusive and are reported with proof. Been there, seen that. They want money, which means they want a huge player base, which means they can weed out troublemakers and brag about enforcing the rules to encourage more paying players.

Sony being Sony however will probably remain narrow minded and gimp free players a bit too drastically at first. I'll be watching closely on this one.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Depends entirely on what they're able to produce content-wise to buy for money. League of Legends is making money hand-over-fist selling new characters to the impatient and skins to the vain, but they have literally infinite room to grow and sell. PS2 on the other hand is an FPS, and I can't think of a way for them to just churn out new characters to play as in 2 week intervals the way Riot does. Closest I can think of is something akin to how TF2 handled free to play, which wouldn't be half bad for them.

If, however, they decide to go and sell the most powerful guns and armor for cash, the game will fail spectacularly. It will put WAR's failings to shame with how bad the game crashes and burns.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

When Planetside1 did free to pay Reserve things, that was a really good thing, unfortunatley it only lasted 1 year. 

It's a really good thing for Planetside cause in MMOFPS more players always = better.

• knallpulverknallpulver Member UncommonPosts: 41

OK.... I'm gonna say something about all these LoL references......

LoL is NOT an mmo..... So why are you comparing it to it ? It's like saying, it should be like Battlefield 3, only pay for the game and no monthly fee....... !!!

Don't get me wrong, I would like the game to be F2P..... or rather B2P (B=buy), like Guild Wars 2..... With a cashshop that sell stuff that doesn't affect the game-experience at all, so that the ones who don't want to spend money don't have to, and nobody can pay to become overpowered....... I want it to be B2P, cause it's the only way they can make a cashshop like this.... Cause otherwise they wouldn't earn enough money to run the servers and stuff........... And don't bring up that LoL, "has it like this, why can't PS2 have it?", Cause it's not an MMO !!!!

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

yea even with boxed sales only and no cash shop, it would not be enough to support the game longterm, in needs to be F2P or P2P. running PS2 servers would be an insane cost, unless their programming is that insane...which is possible.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

I have never seen sony do ftp correctly and I have no hopes here, I almost had hopes for this game thou (being a huge fan of planetside one) but alas, this F2P with transactions is going to suck. Everytime they do this, SWG prime example, the release items at first that are just "for looks", then it goes to "just buffs" then it goes "animated cool stuff" then it goes "stat enhancment" then "uber item". Sorry, SOE fails at F2P, then again they fail at MMO development, website development, forum and account security... bah not even going to waste another breath on these guys anymore. This almost (almost) made my play one SOE game again , sadly this is the nail in the coffin for me. Way to fail Smedely, then again, thats no shock now isn't it.

Now SOE never did ftp with swg, but I refer to the cards, then again you can pick any SOE game that is ftp and see the same thing mention, I am sure some will ("gulp!*) actually defend SOE , (scary thought) but alas, it should have a duel model but it won't, IE pay monthy for all or micro, then I "might" look into this, but if LoL is something he likes, get ready to see exactly what I posted above, looks..buffs,animations,stats,uber items. You read it here first ! look back 2 years later and stand in awww! ;)

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by chaintm

I have never seen sony do ftp correctly and I have no hopes here, I almost had hopes for this game thou (being a huge fan of planetside one) but alas, this F2P with transactions is going to suck. Everytime they do this, SWG prime example, the release items at first that are just "for looks", then it goes to "just buffs" then it goes "animated cool stuff" then it goes "stat enhancment" then "uber item". Sorry, SOE fails at F2P, then again they fail at MMO development, website development, forum and account security... bah not even going to waste another breath on these guys anymore. This almost (almost) made my play one SOE game again , sadly this is the nail in the coffin for me. Way to fail Smedely, then again, thats no shock now isn't it.

Now SOE never did ftp with swg, but I refer to the cards, then again you can pick any SOE game that is ftp and see the same thing mention, I am sure some will ("gulp!*) actually defend SOE , (scary thought) but alas, it should have a duel model but it won't, IE pay monthy for all or micro, then I "might" look into this, but if LoL is something he likes, get ready to see exactly what I posted above, looks..buffs,animations,stats,uber items. You read it here first ! look back 2 years later and stand in awww! ;)

There's really no other side to argue.  There is your viewpoint (which a vocal minority share) that somehow SOE is the worst company in the world, they can't do anything right, they are morally evil and you therefore hate them.  There there is the other side, the majority of rational people that think meh, they're just another company with good and bad points.  In other words, no one is going to "defend" SOE because there's just nothing to defend.  There's no there, there.

But whatever.  Maybe your next rant can replace the S in SOE with a $, now that would be creative and never seen before!

His point of view with a little less rant is that not enough has changed at SOE to believe that they will change their monetary policy. The same people are in charge, and they're likely to make the same decisions, leading to some amount of profits for them at the cost of widespread popularity.

Originally posted by StMichael

His point of view with a little less rant is that not enough has changed at SOE to believe that they will change their monetary policy. The same people are in charge, and they're likely to make the same decisions, leading to some amount of profits for them at the cost of widespread popularity.

And I have the same reply, that there's no argument for either side here.  To my knowledge SOE hasn't made a game designed to be f2p (outside of children's games) from the start.  The games like EQ/EQ2/DCUO which have item shops now were not f2p to start.  They, like countless other games from other developers, got their cash shops when sub numbers began to decline and/or the games themselves became outdated.

They've had mixed success with f2p/cash shops, DCUO has really taken off, EQ has stayed about flat, EQ2 hasn't done as well.  In other words they've done about average, just like every other mmo company out there outside of Blizzard.  Hell there are people on these forums angry with SOE for NOT making Vanguard and the now cancelled f2p lol.  That makes me laugh (or is it cry), there are people that hate them for making games f2p and people that hate them for not making games f2p.

Its just irrational to have these hatreds for a company, especially when its over something about which we have no specifics.  But I guess that's the purpose of the interweb, I'm probably the crazy one around here for not hating some specific game company.

I've actually never played an SOE game, so I have no personal experience with what everyone appears to hate about them. But I do know that people don't change overnight and to my knowledge neither has their management. Whether the game starts out free to play or not  has little bearing on their usual business practices. If they believe their business models in their other games are the way to go for them, what would change their perceptions of those business models for a new game?

I've actually never played an SOE game, so I have no personal experience with what everyone appears to hate about them. But I do know that people don't change overnight and to my knowledge neither has their management. Whether the game starts out free to play or not  has little bearing on their usual business practices. If they believe their business models in their other games are the way to go for them, what would change their perceptions of those business models for a new game?

You've never even played one of their games?  Then why are you .. sigh.  Everyone doesn't hate them, a vocal minority says it over and over like a mantra.  Just like those that hate WoW or SWTOR or WAR or whatever game.  How does something like that become "everyone"? 

Doesn't it trigger a tiny bit of self introspection in that you haven't even played one of their games but you just know that they are bad and it compels you to take a side in this?   You don't really know how any of their f2p/cash shops operate yet you just know that they operate badly and no one likes them, no matter the fact that DCUO just picked up around 1 million players after going f2p.  Isn't it odd?  

I think my point has been proven although it really is pointless for me to make it.  People are people, reality be damned heh.  SOE is just like any other company out there except that they made the mistake of once hurting the feelings of star wars fanboys (even worse, star wars MMO fanboys) by trying and failing to fix a bad game.  I don't envy BioWare one bit lol.

That sounds like an awful lot of sugar coating for SOE. To date, I've yet to hear from anyone a single good word about NGE, and some people even go so far as to try reverse-engineering their original disks to create privately owned servers running the original game. As for their efforts on free to play specifically, I'm trusting other people to know pay to win rather than having to suffer it myself.

Edit: It's also hardly a "vocal minority" that takes issue with SOE. From wikipedias page on SWG:

Another major update called the "New Game Enhancements" (abbreviated as NGE) was implemented on 15 November 2005, and created huge demonstrations in game from the majority of players, and became available in retail on 22 November 2005 as the Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit.[43] Major changes included the reduction and simplification of professions, simplification of gameplay mechanics, and Jedi becoming a starting profession. Media outlets such as CBS News, New York Times, New York Post and Wired Magazine criticized the reduced depth and complexity of the game.,[44][45][46][47][48] but John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, defended the decision claiming it necessary to revamp the game in order to reverse the deterioration they were seeing in the subscriber base.[49] SOE offered refunds on the Trials of Obi-Wan expansion due to it being released two days before the NGE was implemented.[50] The development team affirmed this was their desired direction for the game and that they would modify parameters to address player's concerns.[51] Features such as expertise trees were later added to the game to add complexity and differentiation to characters. After the announcement that SOE had acquired the game Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Smedley addressed that game's players about the perceived threat of major changes to the game:

We've learned a thing or two with our experiences with the NGE and don't plan on repeating mistakes from the past and not listening to the players.

—John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment[52]

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

History has shown $oe (props Aluvy) gets the grade of A in development but F in business. NGE was sony's knee-jerk reaction to Lucas lighting a fire under their butt. Lucas is smart and knows when someone isn't leveraging their IP; so they pulled the plug. No more SWG.

One only has to have played SOE games over the years to see how utterly inexperienced SOE is in business; completely failing to leverage their products. EQ1 could have millions of subscribers today if SOE weren't such utter business noobs. But instead, EQ1 is surviving (perhaps 50k subs) solely on dev-talent.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• mikethkmikethk Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by knallpulver

OK.... I'm gonna say something about all these LoL references......

LoL is NOT an mmo..... So why are you comparing it to it ? It's like saying, it should be like Battlefield 3, only pay for the game and no monthly fee....... !!!

Don't get me wrong, I would like the game to be F2P..... or rather B2P (B=buy), like Guild Wars 2..... With a cashshop that sell stuff that doesn't affect the game-experience at all, so that the ones who don't want to spend money don't have to, and nobody can pay to become overpowered....... I want it to be B2P, cause it's the only way they can make a cashshop like this.... Cause otherwise they wouldn't earn enough money to run the servers and stuff........... And don't bring up that LoL, "has it like this, why can't PS2 have it?", Cause it's not an MMO !!!!

Your not right... If you could by cool skiins, or buy specific battleship skins..... Ppl would do it. As they do in LOL.

That sounds like an awful lot of sugar coating for SOE. To date, I've yet to hear from anyone a single good word about NGE, and some people even go so far as to try reverse-engineering their original disks to create privately owned servers running the original game. As for their efforts on free to play specifically, I'm trusting other people to know pay to win rather than having to suffer it myself.

Edit: It's also hardly a "vocal minority" that takes issue with SOE. From wikipedias page on SWG:

Another major update called the "New Game Enhancements" (abbreviated as NGE) was implemented on 15 November 2005, and created huge demonstrations in game from the majority of players, and became available in retail on 22 November 2005 as the Star Wars Galaxies: Starter Kit.[43] Major changes included the reduction and simplification of professions, simplification of gameplay mechanics, and Jedi becoming a starting profession. Media outlets such as CBS News, New York Times, New York Post and Wired Magazine criticized the reduced depth and complexity of the game.,[44][45][46][47][48] but John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, defended the decision claiming it necessary to revamp the game in order to reverse the deterioration they were seeing in the subscriber base.[49] SOE offered refunds on the Trials of Obi-Wan expansion due to it being released two days before the NGE was implemented.[50] The development team affirmed this was their desired direction for the game and that they would modify parameters to address player's concerns.[51] Features such as expertise trees were later added to the game to add complexity and differentiation to characters. After the announcement that SOE had acquired the game Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Smedley addressed that game's players about the perceived threat of major changes to the game:

We've learned a thing or two with our experiences with the NGE and don't plan on repeating mistakes from the past and not listening to the players.

—John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment[52]

And what does any of this have to do with them taking properties f2p? That is the entire point of this discussion is it not? 

That some star wars mmo fans are angry years later over a hot mess of a game has no bearing on the fact that SOE's experience with taking properties f2p has ranged from mediocre to good ... just like every other mmo publisher out there. We haven't seen one of their games designed from the start with f2p/cash shop in mind and we don't even know any details of their plans with PS2.

So my original point still stands, there's no side to argue here about PS2's payment structure.     tt??

If this article holds any water, they'll have a decent chance at success on the business end. How well they hold to that is what remains to be seen. Their general track record has shown they're perfectly capable of screwing up a perfectly smooth operation, but a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Well one thing I know for certain, If I do end up playing Planetside 2, and I honestly am pretty interested in trying it out. There is no way in hades, I'm going to be entrusting SOE with my credit card or real identity. This will be the first time that I end up paying for anything with a game card ...and signing up as U.N. Known

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Well one thing I know for certain, If I do end up playing Planetside 2, and I honestly am pretty interested in trying it out. There is no way in hades, I'm going to be entrusting SOE with my credit card or real identity. This will be the first time that I end up paying for anything with a game card ...and signing up as U.N. Known

Yeah I don't know what to do about that sort of thing.  I mean Steam just got hacked and they still don't know if the theft included credit card data although they did access everything else including passwords.  Unfortunately I think its just something with which we'll have to live.  I would rather just pay a sub than do f2p/cash shop anyway.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Gawd SWG fans are persitant. It was how long ago? 5-6 years? And still NGE is mentioned during every discussion about SOE. You could really stop beating that dead horse and let the game rest in peace. It happened. Big deal. Show me a company that doesn't make idoitic mistakes. 

I'm not saying SOE is perfect company to handle MMOs, because they have their share of sins, but that's the case with pretty much every single company running a MMO. Even Blizzard with their behemoth made loads of design decissions that caused thousands of players leave the game. Bringing the NGE argument every damn time is getting really boring. 

As for the topic, it was said long time ago that the game will be F2P, but as always details closer to release, and till then there isin't really much to comment. MOst companies realized by now that doing Pay 2 Win Cash Shops doesn't really bring lot of players on western market so the situation, slowly but surley, improves. 

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Originally posted by Aluvius

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Yeah I don't know what to do about that sort of thing.  I mean Steam just got hacked and they still don't know if the theft included credit card data although they did access everything else including passwords.  Unfortunately I think its just something with which we'll have to live.  I would rather just pay a sub than do f2p/cash shop anyway.

Pretty much any organization can be hacked if the black hats are skilled and determined enough and can marshal enough resources toward the effort. However, the level of expertiese and resources a company puts toward securing a data/service makes a marked difference in how likely they are to be successfully hacked.

Unfortunately, Sony seems to be particularly inept at security. They had Apache web servers whose patches were years out of date,  if what the hackers published is accurate, they fell victem to a standard SQL injection attack and they had confidential information sitting unencrypted on disk. That's pretty much flunking Security 101.

I also know from personal experience that they don't (or at least didn't as of a few years ago) even bother to do routiene security and risk assesments on all the vendors they have hosting data and services for them. Meaning they don't even bother to ask vendors questions about how they impliment security controls, let alone do an audit to see if those vendors are actualy implementing controls.

Hopefully, the troubles they've experienced lately have shaken them up enough to change thier practices. But as of right now, they are firmly getting a vote of no confidence from me. I'm willing to give thier games a try....but I won't be trusting them with a credit card or any real identification...and I definately won't be using any passwords or e-mail addresses I have with them for anythimng else.

I'm assuming I can buy a game card at EB or another game store for cash and use that for any payment I might make in PS2..... I've never had to try that with a game before now....but I'm assuming that will work. If not, I'll have to forgoe trying PS2.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

My understanding is the data stolen from those apache servers were expired, non-American, credit card numbers; but also perhaps the associated addresses. If you live in the USA, your data were not stolen. If you live in Europe, data related to your expired credit cards were stolen. Someeone with different info (and links to back it up), please feel free to correct me.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

John $medley = NGE

If he's invovled, i'm not.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i think for this massive fps mmo, fp2 is kinda good move, because you will want to have lots of players playing this game to make it fun

and with subs, there would be too little players in such a big map to be having fun i guess

i never played the 1st PS, but i am pretty exited with this one

i loved MAG, how you have 256 players in 1 map fighting, imagine thousands in 1 map, going to be insane!!

So What Now?