Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Drop the NDA!

Comments

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by IrishChai

Originally posted by JPTX

Originally posted by Antarious

As for philisophically dropping the NDA, obviously two sides to that coin... if you drop it, tons of people are going to "give things away" and that can be a good thing or bad thing... if the game is in great shape, it's a good thing and leads to viral marketing... if the game is in bad shape, people may never even give it a shot once it launches.  I hope they DO drop the NDA soon, because it'll signal to me that the game is something they're proud of!

They already have something to be proud of if you've seen their beta forums. Trying to avoid breaking the NDA so I'm not going to be specific but believe me, they get the point of how many people love it already. Its the first time I've seen moderators lock many of the positive threads just so they can see the critical feedback easier, and direct most of the comments to those areas instead of what people think doesn't need fixing.

Stop!  I'm already excited/impatient enough!  LOL... seriously though, that's great news.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

As for philisophically dropping the NDA, obviously two sides to that coin... if you drop it, tons of people are going to "give things away" and that can be a good thing or bad thing... if the game is in great shape, it's a good thing and leads to viral marketing... if the game is in bad shape, people may never even give it a shot once it launches.  I hope they DO drop the NDA soon, because it'll signal to me that the game is something they're proud of!

They already have something to be proud of if you've seen their beta forums. Trying to avoid breaking the NDA so I'm not going to be specific but believe me, they get the point of how many people love it already. Its the first time I've seen moderators lock many of the positive threads just so they can see the critical feedback easier, and direct most of the comments to those areas instead of what people think doesn't need fixing.

Stop!  I'm already excited/impatient enough!  LOL... seriously though, that's great news.

lol yeah, sorry about that. The day after the weekend on the beta forums was pretty funny though. You'd think you accidentally wandered in to an AA forum or somethin.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Rofl, so true.Originally posted by IrishChai

lol yeah, sorry about that. The day after the weekend on the beta forums was pretty funny though. You'd think you accidentally wandered in to an AA forum or somethin.

Rofl, so true. Sure can t wait for release. My wife went from, I don t want to play a star wars MMO, to "are there any CEs left" lol

• czekoskwigelczekoskwigel Member Posts: 458

I agree with some of the posts here about the NDA protecting people from spoilers.  In beta I've only played classes that I don't intend to play on initial release for that very reason.

My guess is that the NDA will drop with or soon after the upcoming stress test, and as far as I'm concerned, that's soon enough.  They've already dropped it for the professional review sites, which tells us that the NDA is not in place just to hide bad aspects of the game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Originally posted by BadSpock
    Perhaps they could do a restricted NDA lift lol
    Like you can talk about game mechanics and general feel but not specifics in regards to the story.

Agreed! As always Badspock your logic is unquestionable!

If you could actually enforce that, it would work. I don't think you could stop the torrent of information once it started.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

In a way I think they are wise to keep the NDA in effect so many games are killed off in these forums before release . People will Troll any new game to protect Warcraft even without playing it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No, I won't be playing in the next beta, I find they generally ruin my overall playing experience as I find myself redoing content once the game goes live and I get bored too quickly. (would especially be true in a story driven MMO unless I chose a different path)

I agree, bring the NDA down, I want to read about the game, will avoid reading too much about the story, and hope they see some reason in the near future.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

I played last weekend and indeed will play again.

I wish I could say why I will play yet again, but due to NDA I am not at liberty to discuss with any of you any point of the game besides fact that I was in a weekend beta.

Sucks :(

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

We can pretend the NDA dropped, ya ne?

{mod edit}

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• s4ndm4n2006s4ndm4n2006 Member UncommonPosts: 56

Absolutely, without a doubt will be playing again next weekend if time allows.  The only real obstacle is that I have just taken on a 2nd job and it will be taking more of my free time!  Ugh.  I started with being skeptical but willing to try to being 100% sold on this title.  I'm not only going to be playing next weekend as much as I can, but have convinced my wife to sign up too, and am going to buy it asap!  woot!

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Believe it or not, they really are testing the game.  

I know a lot of companies have done "beta tests" that were really just a pre-release marketing scam. 

You can identify those by the fact that nothing changes between the "beta" and "release" along with a non-existent or otherwise useless bug reporting mechanism.  {mod edit}

(Sheesh, I sound like a propaganda droid...  is that actually a model of droid?  it should be.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I think I'd rather enjoy the game without spoilers than the flood of argument that's guaranteed to peak after the NDA comes down.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I don't see the good overall benefit for Bioware to lift the NDA before launch.  I don't see hundreds of thousands of sales being created by lifting the NDA.   I do see the haters using the information to nitpick thinking their opinions matter.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• slider15slider15 Member UncommonPosts: 16

At this point I don't think they should be afraid of bad publicity from the test groups. In fact I feel it would be in their interest at this point to drop the NDA. A lot of people who have not tested are skeptical, that there are reasons that Bio-Ware is being so secretive. The only reason is if they are considering pushing back release, but I don't feel that is necessary at this point either. Its looking to be as smooth a release as there is in MMO-land

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120
    I don't think you will see it drop at all. ALmost every game mechanic is known already. They are protecting the story at this point and there are some major story spoilers that could be leaked.

There is a big difference between them just leaked on leaker sites(which are all hosted out of the US) then it being plastered all over every forum, website and every social networking site.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by waynejr2

I don't see the good overall benefit for Bioware to lift the NDA before launch.  I don't see hundreds of thousands of sales being created by lifting the NDA.   I do see the haters using the information to nitpick thinking their opinions matter.

While I'd still like the NDA lifted, I agree with ya somewhat.  With the huge numbers of keys going out for the stress test this weekend, pretty much anyone who wants to see for themselves will have the opportunity.  And that's always the best way to get information.

It may not be open beta, but it's pretty friggin' close.

Originally posted by Cinge

I don't think you will see it drop at all. ALmost every game mechanic is known already. They are protecting the story at this point and there are some major story spoilers that could be leaked.

Yep!  It'd totally ruin the game for someone playing a Jedi Knight to find out beforehand that Jar Jar is your father...

...ooops... ;)

"oooh muoy muoy!  Mee'sa tell you'sa bombad bedtime story!"

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

With the amount of testers that will be playing the game in the big stress test weekend there is absolutely no way they can keep the information under wraps. Might as well drop the NDA at that point.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

Posted this elewhere before reading this, but if only for the sake of mods all over the interwebs, I'd imagine the NDA will be dropped (or relaxed, like Bad Spock suggests) for the next big testing weekend.

Will I be playing that big weekend? Doubtful. I'll leave my spot free for those who only have the weekend to test. Like I did last weekend. 

Like Mike B says, the one great thing about NDA coming down (assuming it does) is that people will finally be able to back up their arguments (pro and con), and discussions here will be far freer and more robust. That can only be a good thing, right?

*I do appreciate concerns for story spoilers, as people mentioned above, and so:  I do solemnly swear that my impressions of SWTOR, should they be sought, when/if the NDA drops, will be 100% spoiler free*

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Wow, this article hit the nail on the head. It would be abount time if they dropped the NDA. I'm a tester and have been for the last three builds. I badly want to talk about it but can't. Its only a month till release. Its time to drop the NDA and let people talk about it.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Originally posted by czekoskwigel

I agree with some of the posts here about the NDA protecting people from spoilers.  In beta I've only played classes that I don't intend to play on initial release for that very reason.

My guess is that the NDA will drop with or soon after the upcoming stress test, and as far as I'm concerned, that's soon enough.  They've already dropped it for the professional review sites, which tells us that the NDA is not in place just to hide bad aspects of the game.

Now that I can agree with. Including the "played classes that I don't intend to play on release". 

To put it in a way that won't break the NDA. I bought the CE. And I don't regret it either. 

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

*I do appreciate concerns for story spoilers, as people mentioned above, and so:  I do solemnly swear that my impressions of SWTOR, should they be sought, when/if the NDA drops, will be 100% spoiler free*

And I do solemnly swear that anything I say regarding the stories will be completely made up BS, and should I falter in this, I'll  surrender my ingame Pink lightsaber crystal, which I won from Darth Fierce during a game of Pazaak.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

i think story should remain under nda. Thats just me i think the rest of the game like mechanics, feel of playing it and things like how phasing is used should be discussable. especially when considering all the lies haters have spread on this forum about this game.

Bioware has stated they are using familiar mechanics and that they ar adding story a pillary they though was missing from mmorpgs. That said i think story has to remain under nda so its not ruined by the jerks for everyone.

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267

The Irony for me is that prior to being Invited to beta I had not agreed to the NDA.  So I made a point of not being worried about anything I said...  Now, because I respect the fact that I've entered into a legal agreement, I can hardly say anything at all.

Except for the fact that there Is a Beta, and I have participated. 

I suppose the only other Irony I should point out is that I kept telling myself, and everyone else, that I didn't want to participate.  And I was sincere!  But when the invite came I completely caved.  I just couldn't help myself.  I suddenly found it inconsequencial that I'd be playing with an unfinished client and spoiling at least some of the class stories (I eventually plan on rolling at least one of every base class... maybe).  All I could think of was how much I want to play.

Oh, and its only fair to say, that desire was not diminished in the slightest... With that I have to Shut Up!  :-P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

There are so many things I want to say about this game, but can't.

Nothing about the story, I would never ruin that for other people!

Except the say that the story for ____ is ___ and I ___ that ____ while ____ was ____ which in the ___ is  ____.

As for the game play and systems mechanics...

____ is like____ but with____ and____. Beyond ____ I see____ and ______ then you can____ and____ while ____.

The___ are____ which is ___ because____.

Damn you NDA! Give me back my nouns, adverbs, verbs, and adjectives!