Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Drop the NDA!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Mike Bitton is keeping his weekly column devoted to Star Wars: The Old Republic short and sweet today with a simple request and few words that eloquently say, "DROP THE NDA!" See if you agree with Mike's thoughts and then add a few comments.

Recently, BioWare concluded their largest Beta Test Weekend yet, and they’re already in the process of revving up for a final big smash of a Beta Test Weekend. If you thought this past weekend was big, well it looks like everyone who has signed up for Game Testing, as well as those who never bothered, will have a chance to take the game for a spin before it launches in about a month.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Drop the NDA!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

No, I don't plan on participating mainly because I've recently decided that I'd rather go into a game blind than to have spoiled myself "testing" a game. I've been involved in several betas over the last 3 years and it has really taken a toll on my overall enjoyment of those games. I'd rather not do that again.

edit: I also have a very limited bandwidth to work with. I'd have to camp Mcdonalds to download this beast.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

They need to end the NDA so questions can be answered and the game can get even more respect I believe it deserves.  Everyone I know was in the beta test weekend. Mr. President... tear down that NDA!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Is there any benefit to Bioware dropping the NDA now or at all until the game releases? Of course, lots of people will find out information about the game, but they'll find that information out anyway when the game launches.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Khaine007Khaine007 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Pretty sure they've stated they will not, and will never remove the NDA.  It's to protect them from the many failures they've had during the beta process, or so I'm told.  I got to test it this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed my time in TOR.  Looking forward to launch, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on the NDA being lifted, ever.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Normally i'm a real staunch person on NDAs because i feel releasing the NDA can give people false projections about the game.

So normally i'm totally in favor of keeping the NDA up as long as possible, but now it's getting to the point that there is...well no point in keeping it. After this beta weekend, your not really going to be able to hide anything.

Why? simple. Nothing to risk here, the only thing they could do is ban them from any beta testing or future tests. Which won't hurt anyone as theres so little time left.

This is going to end up one of those situations where Mods (poor guys) will be overwhelmed with deleting posts, Bioware will have leaks everwhere and frankly it's just more in there interest after the next round to just take down the NDA. There will be (in my view) no point in leaving it up.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332

I did play in this last beta weekend, and when they do the next beta weekend I will probably test it out as well. 

I enjoyed the class I played which was commando. However, I would like to try out the Vanguard to see what that is like as well. Either way I'm a trooper. 

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

NDA needs to go at this point. I'd say pretty much everything is finalized at this point. So why not remove NDA? Like it was mentioned, one last beta test before early access/release and I would consider that an open beta weekend at which point the NDA should definitly be removed by then.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I really wish they would drop the NDA for the upcoming mega test.

I have so much I want to share after last weekend's test!

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Simply put NO. if the NDA is dropped the storys will be leaked and it may ruin it for some. The people who dislike the game would love to see this happen sadly enough and attempt to scream louder why your stupid to like this game.

***Raving Rabbid is blowing up tanks until Swtor comes out!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Perhaps they could do a restricted NDA lift lol

Like you can talk about game mechanics and general feel but not specifics in regards to the story.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

I kinda agree that it's a little silly for them to retain the NDA when everyone is being invited to play the upcoming 'closed beta', but I think they are doing it for good reason. My impression has been that they really want to read and hear all the feedback on their own beta forums so they can respond or determine what they need to work on over the next month gearing up for release.

If they drop the NDA, people are going to scatter and talk about it dozens of places making their job a lot more difficult. They need a broader picture of where the game stands overall with everyone locked in to the same room, fighting it out, because their intended demographic is as many people as possible with any interest at all in playing SWTOR. That's also making a mess out of their forums with all the arguments and different angles of opinion, but that's the point. I think it's making for some pretty interesting arguments and providing them with a lot of good feedback even when I don't agree with it. I know a lot of people that would prefer to just be off on a different forum with people posting one side of things so they all agree, instead of bringing it to the direct attention of the developers and leaving it more open to critical disagreement with another side of the playerbase.

TL;DR version: I think they are just doing it to keep the forum debates closer to home so it's easier for them to see and use.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by BadSpock

Like you can talk about game mechanics and general feel but not specifics in regards to the story.

Agreed! As always Badspock your logic is unquestionable! image

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

No, I don't plan on participating mainly because I've recently decided that I'd rather go into a game blind than to have spoiled myself "testing" a game. I've been involved in several betas over the last 3 years and it has really taken a toll on my overall enjoyment of those games. I'd rather not do that again.

edit: I also have a very limited bandwidth to work with. I'd have to camp Mcdonalds to download this beast.

I agree, but I hope that TOR will remedy this for several reason - one is being motivated to finish a character by story. simply test a class you dont plan on playing. or if you are too curious, stop after level 10, or play the opposite evil/light of what you want to play in live. 

But I see what you are saying. Once I had experienced Cataclysm beta(and i got to lvl 45) I was too exhausted to do it on live. So I gave up and left WoW entirely. But it was something I would have done either way. the game is old, and I had played it for so many years.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Originally posted by Kalfer

I agree, but I hope that TOR will remedy this for several reason - one is being motivated to finish a character by story. simply test a class you dont plan on playing. or if you are too curious, stop after level 10, or play the opposite evil/light of what you want to play in live. 

But I see what you are saying. Once I had experienced Cataclysm beta(and i got to lvl 45) I was too exhausted to do it on live. So I gave up and left WoW entirely. But it was something I would have done either way. the game is old, and I had played it for so many years.

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing... picking a class that I'm not particularly interested in (i.e. the trooper) and only playing long enough to get a "feel for" the game (and obviously help test whatever it is that BioWare is wanting tested - I assume at this stage it's basically load, and that means the test will most likely be a weekend-type deal only).

Can't wait for the real thing, but I don't want to open my "Christmas present" too early and ruin the surprise either!  

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Simply put NO. if the NDA is dropped the storys will be leaked and it may ruin it for some. The people who dislike the game would love to see this happen sadly enough and attempt to scream louder why your stupid to like this game.

I don't think so. It would reveal a few large things but the game have a huge story.

I don't think that would turn anyone off the game. And people who already hates it will find worse ways too annoy fans than the story, they would actually have to play it to learn the story anyways. A NDA doesn't really stop any flamewars or trolling.

Wow had no NDA at all, and I think Blizzard did the right thing with it. NDA is really only needed for games that have a really long beta (some have it for years) where you add and fix stuff as you go.

TOR is more or less in open beta know since there are zillions of keys around. The NDA wont stop any hater anyways, but it do mean that people who actually know stuff can answer arguments.

I am 100% neutral about TOR myself though, will try it but havn't the time just now.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Its pretty easy to just not read these stories..   I mean if a friend is going to tell you vocally about the game, they have probably already done so nda or not.   Random text on the net is pretty easy to read or not read.   Just like how people will put *spoilers* in general chat and fights will ensue... while its very simple to turn it off..

I'm not saying I support dropping the NDA its just some things are easy to avoid.   People who don't want information don't have to look for it.   I skip plenty of threads on forums..   The real issue in my opinion is the information that people WILL actually look for.

Its never in a gaming companies best interest to release an NDA..  that's just my opinion.   Then again I've never bought (or not bought) something based on what somebody else said.   Tho apparantly there are a lot of people who do.. or why would companies pay so much for advertising.   I've never bought anything due to a commercial either..

However, quite honestly if I thought I'd just created the most addictive virtual world ever... I wouldn't have an NDA because having a ton of people talking about my awesome product only helps me.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Same how I feel. And I'd rather they keep the NDA.

Originally posted by Antarious

However, quite honestly if I thought I'd just created the most addictive virtual world ever... I wouldn't have an NDA because having a ton of people talking about my awesome product only helps me.

I don't think it has anything to do with them not wanting people to talk about it. They want people to talk about it on their beta forums. BIG difference. If they didn't have their own forums, then your argument might make more sense. And believe me, their own forums are slammed right now with talk. It will go on for two pages of various threads or more posted within the past minute so I can barely keep track of where I've posted.

Edit: Not to mention how much they struggle to keep their forum up and running every time they do a server restart or take beta down temporarily lol I think they figured it out now, but it was getting kinda funny on the first stress test weekend to try and post anything before it went down again.

• DrastDrast Member UncommonPosts: 149

Originally posted by Loke666

*snip*

*snip*

TOR is more or less in open beta know since there are zillions of keys around. The NDA wont stop any hater anyways, but it do mean that people who actually know stuff can answer arguments.

I am 100% neutral about TOR myself though, will try it but havn't the time just now.

It basically will be open beta once the next weekend test goes active, and everyone who registered on thier site is in testing, as well as all those who claimed a key from the fan sites.

If someone doesn't want the story spoiled, they will have to stay away from all forums and other social sites, even general chat in game for a long time.  Just accept that things will be spoiled for you, and move on. An extra 2 weeks of active NDA won't change that.  But dropping the NDA as Loke said, will give those of us who know things, the ability to answer these questions people have, as well as attempt to squash the haters.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Its pretty easy to just not read these stories..   I mean if a friend is going to tell you vocally about the game, they have probably already done so nda or not.   Random text on the net is pretty easy to read or not read.   Just like how people will put *spoilers* in general chat and fights will ensue... while its very simple to turn it off..

I'm not saying I support dropping the NDA its just some things are easy to avoid.   People who don't want information don't have to look for it.   I skip plenty of threads on forums..   The real issue in my opinion is the information that people WILL actually look for.

Its never in a gaming companies best interest to release an NDA..  that's just my opinion.   Then again I've never bought (or not bought) something based on what somebody else said.   Tho apparantly there are a lot of people who do.. or why would companies pay so much for advertising.   I've never bought anything due to a commercial either..

Remember though, SW:TOR is not your typical "read a wall of text" MMO... you don't read the stories.  You experience them via voice-over cinematics.  I'm not sure if it's even possible to turn those off (not sure how that would be possible?)

As for philisophically dropping the NDA, obviously two sides to that coin... if you drop it, tons of people are going to "give things away" and that can be a good thing or bad thing... if the game is in great shape, it's a good thing and leads to viral marketing... if the game is in bad shape, people may never even give it a shot once it launches.  I hope they DO drop the NDA soon, because it'll signal to me that the game is something they're proud of!

I purposefully stopped playing the JK/JC world after like the first 3-4 quests.

Didn't want to ruin the story!

A specifc NDA lift that cover mechanics/game play but keeps the story under NDA would be win/win IMO.

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

We've seen companies hide behind their NDA on numerous occasions to hide crappy games.

I don't think BW is doing this, I think they are working to protect their story line and their code from the parsing sites that are just itching to start posting item attributes and walkthroughs.

I could be wrong though...

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

As much as the NDA dropping would make it so I could come on here to cast aside some of the BS thats been spewed about the game, I don t really care anymore to. I m playing it, along with my wife and quite a few rl friends, so why waste my time with people I don t want to be playing with anyways.

Their loss is my big gain.

Originally posted by JPTX

As for philisophically dropping the NDA, obviously two sides to that coin... if you drop it, tons of people are going to "give things away" and that can be a good thing or bad thing... if the game is in great shape, it's a good thing and leads to viral marketing... if the game is in bad shape, people may never even give it a shot once it launches.  I hope they DO drop the NDA soon, because it'll signal to me that the game is something they're proud of!

They already have something to be proud of if you've seen their beta forums. Trying to avoid breaking the NDA so I'm not going to be specific but believe me, they get the point of how many people love it already. Its the first time I've seen moderators lock many of the positive threads just so they can see the critical feedback easier, and direct most of the comments to those areas instead of what people think doesn't need fixing.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by BadSpock

Agreed! As always Badspock your logic is unquestionable! image

Yup great idea!

p.s. Personally not playing the beta to prevent spoilers, play some Skyrim and have a minimum of free time left for real life oblimagashuns.