Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com you are slowly losing your focus

DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

I know I can't be the only one feeling a bit dissatisfied with the direction this site is going. Point being for years it was the only real good MMORPG site but lately we've seen some very sad trends:

1. MMORPG.com buying into PR hype

This can be seen especially  with all pro P2W articles. I mean for sure there will be bigger numbers if the game is P2W at first but guess what these are just people downloading the game so the PR crap writting about 500.000, 600.00 or whatever new numbers are P2W game generates shouldn't count. The thing they should tell people is how much of this new players are going to stay or can be converted to rreal subscribers? 

Truth is not many so I would prefer a more behind the doors news article instead of a rewritten PR one.

2. Games that shouldn't be here

It all started with non MMOGs like League of Legends, Guild Wars went through Diablo III so whats next? You guys don't have unlimited personal so why not focus on the real MMORPGS instead of some DoTa and solo Actiongames? Reading the news and features ws one of my favourite partso f this site but lately its all filled with P2W articles, features instead of wellwritten and sometimes cynical articles targeted at MMOG  gamers.

Solution would be nice if could move some of the OT stuff to your affilate sites instead of polluting a MMOG only site with crap like P2W games, Actiongames and even news about FPS games such as BF or Cod. 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
"Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Do you honestly think that it's mmorpg.com fault that the biggest news in the MMORPG world these days is Skyrim (for example).

I can't fault them for covering stuff that would probably interest the crowd that is interested in mmorpgs in general.

No comment about the PR hype. Just keep in mind that this site is a news outlet and thus it's normal that they distribute both official news and rumours.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I happen to agree with the general thrust of this post...although I might disagree on some of the finer points. About a month ago one of the forum moderators responded to another forum post about such a complaint and said they were working on it and we would be pleased etc. I have yet to see anything except more spam of more games I am completely uninterested in.

The site does have many of the games I am interested in and I would mainly like to have a way to simply filter out all of the crap such as free to play, asian ports, web browser games etc. Just as I know there are plent of people who would want to filter some of that stuff in.

Mainly this site needs better organization. It has grown to hold too much information to be truly usefull anymore as it takes too long to get to the good stuff.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

MMORPG.com has always, just like any other publication out there, relied on what others say. If you believe that newspapers in general publish anything else but advertisements and propaganda, think again. Making a high quality article where you really have checked all the facts, heard all the opinions, and studied all the details is an extremely time consuming and slow task. A task only rarely performed. Its much cheaper and faster to just copy other peoples opinions.

MMORPG.com specifically probably depends upon money from advertisements. So they dont write stuff that would enrage the game companies. Thats just the way it is - with really every gaming magazine out there.

What really happened is probably you realized for the first time how the news work.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I stopped reading and dismissed everything you wrote at "Guild Wars".

You are one of "Those". Therefore your perceptions on what MMO's are cannot be valid.

Good effort though.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

People are talking about other games on this site.  Games that have high simularities to mmorpgs in one way or another, so the site chooses to feature them sometimes in small ways or other times in larger ones. 

Again, this is because there's a lot of discussion happening on THIS site about those games.  So they're trying to put forth some articles and content covering what they think their members would like. 

OH NO!  Make it stop!  No.  No.....thats not going to happen.    If you would however like MMORPG.COM to stop focusing on these types of games, you're going to have to convince the community at large to stop talking about them.  Good luck with that.

Ive been to some Italian food resturants and noticed they had burgers or corn dogs especially on the kids menu.  I dont freak out and yell, " HOW DARE YOU!  THATS NOT ITALIAN FOOD! ".  Point being the site does, and will probably always focus primarily on pure mmorpgs.  So relax.  Its fine.  A little side flavor thrown in isnt going to hurt anyone.  

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I think its much to do about nothing.  So other types of games get featured and games like Skyrim get a lot of air time in the Forums.  I don't think it detracts from anything.  If you don't want to read an article or look at a thread that isn't about MMOs don't look at them.  I believe that the vast majority of games fall into the MMO category so I think the site remains an MMO site.  People are a bit to nitpicky about things that aren't really don't matter to the vast majority of people.

I self identify as a monkey.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • InjerinInjerin Member Posts: 63

Welcome to Corperate America! Persuation in dollars my friend!

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by Corehaven

People are talking about other games on this site.  Games that have high simularities to mmorpgs in one way or another, so the site chooses to feature them sometimes in small ways or other times in larger ones. 

Again, this is because there's a lot of discussion happening on THIS site about those games.  So they're trying to put forth some articles and content covering what they think their members would like. 

OH NO!  Make it stop!  No.  No.....thats not going to happen.    If you would however like MMORPG.COM to stop focusing on these types of games, you're going to have to convince the community at large to stop talking about them.  Good luck with that.

Ive been to some Italian food resturants and noticed they had burgers or corn dogs especially on the kids menu.  I dont freak out and yell, " HOW DARE YOU!  THATS NOT ITALIAN FOOD! ".  Point being the site does, and will probably always focus primarily on pure mmorpgs.  So relax.  Its fine.  A little side flavor thrown in isnt going to hurt anyone.  

Well said. Everything I thought, but so much more eloquent :)

The original post is just... trite and sad. 

Also, I wonder why the original poster posted in this forum  and not Site Suggestion where it should ideally belong. Sad cry for attention much?

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by I_Return

after spending 1000's of dollars playing mmorpgs. F2p is a welcomed sight. The fact that someone fro Biware would make a discussion like this is pretty funny to say the least.

If a new mmorpg comes out with any type of monethly fee, it better deviler, who think about a different payment model.

A game like SwtOR is pretty much dead with a monthly paynment model. Specifically if players rip through the content like it is mass effect 2.

I LOL'd.

Yeah all subscription based games are sure to die because you don't like the sub model..

Better write some CEOs and let them know what a huge mistake they are making!!

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Skyrim represents what a lot of people think is missing from recent MMORPG's. I think it's worth discussing this and what we like about it and the technical hurdles in porting these ideas to MMO's.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by rounner

Skyrim represents what a lot of people think is missing from recent MMORPG's. I think it's worth discussing this and what we like about it and the technical hurdles in porting these ideas to MMO's.

No kidding. 

I don't play Skyrim (average 3 year old PC, and waiting for better mods) but I was thinking...

Currently, I am subbed to AoC, levelling to characters (for the first time) and having a blast. I know that will change at 80 where the game becomes a typical MMO with endless grinds and raiding till your eyes bleed. I've done that before for 2 years on WoW and I have no interest in it. 

I also get my gaming high from playing DotA (waiting on Dota 2). 

If I really set my mind to it, and decided to prioritise, I could play a SRPG like Skyrim, and unsub from AoC but still get my MMO highs from that game.

Not to turn this into a sub vs. F2P thread but I think what MMORPG doing (featuring other games) is fine. 

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Talking about Skyrim is fine and yes it has many many features MMORPGs are lacking these days but "features, news" should cover MMORPG things or at least have some nice discussions related to it. The article "5 reasons why Skyrim should be a MMOG" was a good start and its fine.

I'm talking more about games like BF, CoD, Diablo III, League of Legends and Guild Wars I all of them clearly are not MMORPGs and tons of other sites are covering them but they don't cover MMORPGs, thats my point.

I-Return if all you can do is trolling find another thread and no I don't have a youtube account, cause I'm not signing up for any services shady companies such as google are "offering".

This site is still the best but the trend does worry me, thats all. 

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

MMOrpg is still the website people check daily for info about mmos, and now, not only mmos.. wich is great.

Do they want to reach a wider audience? I bet their investors would, and most of the MMOrpg comunity too.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think CORPGs like Guildwars and Star trek online still belongs on the site. While calling them MMOs might be worng they are close enough.

Otherwise we could have a discussion of what exactly a RPG game is as well. Some MMOs aren't exactly MMORPGs, APB is a good example but there are plenty of others that really are more FPS or action games instead.

Games like Diablo 3 and Skyrim on the other hand does not belong here, Diablo 3 is a regulqar online action game, it have nothing to do with MMOs and Skyrim even less.

I suggest that creating a new department on the page with games that aren't exactly MMOs but of interest, but they should be separated from the MMOs to avoid confusion. If you are only interested in MMOs you can just stay away then.

As for the pay2win stuff, I really don't agree with you. Why don't you start your own blog here, and maybe get a few like minded people to do the same? It is a more constructive solution to get your views out.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by rounner

Plus fact that a huge chunck of community here like Elder Scrolls series for years now so why should MMORPG.COM not pay attention to Skyrim if they see alot of registered like and play Skyrim. Plus fact its a RPG and similar to a mmorpg but solo game, so obvious discussions is logic result.

I remember many years ago when Phantasy star online also was introduced here we had same discussion. But these days many games similar to PSO are now part of this site i dont realy have problem with this.

I wish they payed more attention to SOLO RPGs on this site and chance name to RPG&MMORPG.COM :)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by forest-nl

Plus fact that a huge chunck of community here like Elder Scrolls series for years now so why should MMORPG.COM not pay attention to Skyrim if they see alot of subscribers like and play Skyrim. Plus fact its a RPG and similar to a mmorpg but solo game, so obvious discussions is logic result.

I remember many years ago when Phantasy star online also was introduced here we had same discussion. But these days many games similar to PSO are now part of this site i dont realy have problem with this.

I wish they payed more attention to SOLO RPGs on this site and chance name to RPG&MMORPG.COM :)

I don't have an issue with that, but I think they should have a specific part of the forum for games like that, mixing them with the MMOs are kinda confusing for new people and a bit messy.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by forest-nl

Plus fact that a huge chunck of community here like Elder Scrolls series for years now so why should MMORPG.COM not pay attention to Skyrim if they see alot of subscribers like and play Skyrim. Plus fact its a RPG and similar to a mmorpg but solo game, so obvious discussions is logic result.

I don't have an issue with that, but I think they should have a specific part of the forum for games like that, mixing them with the MMOs are kinda confusing for new people and a bit messy.

There are separate sections - most of the Skyrim threads are in General Gaming or a sub-section of that.  The problem is that on the front page and the Real-time page, it shows all threads.  It would be nifty if we could customize what sections it showed.

Heck, I'd be fine if I could just uncheck General Gaming - and leave the rest of General Discussion and Developers Corner checked.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer

There are separate sections - most of the Skyrim threads are in General Gaming or a sub-section of that.  The problem is that on the front page and the Real-time page, it shows all threads.  It would be nifty if we could customize what sections it showed.

Heck, I'd be fine if I could just uncheck General Gaming - and leave the rest of General Discussion and Developers Corner checked.

Yeah, something like that. They could also split up the forum list a little, so you can browse CORPGs or multiplayer games like Diablo 3 by themselves.

The more games on the site the better, but there should be a little more order. :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

WTB Skyrim sub-forum.

"MM( )RPG.COM" should be "(MMO)RPG.COM", seriously.

There's a huge overlap in mmorpg players and sp rpg players anyway.

Also F2P advertising pays their bills. Fine with me. I'll never touch them with a 10 foot pole anyway.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by DarkPony

WTB Skyrim sub-forum.

"MM( )RPG.COM" should be "(MMO)RPG.COM", seriously.

There's a huge overlap in mmorpg players and sp rpg players anyway.

Also F2P advertising pays their bills. Fine with me. I'll never touch them with a 10 foot pole anyway.

Heh, I'd still get in trouble for arguing with folks over whether their "RPG" game is not actually just an Adventure or Action game with some RPG elements.  :)

I thought it was cool that they added FPSguru, RTSguru, and UnboundGamer.  I mean, I don't go to any of those sites - but I still thought it was cool....

...and you know what?  Even though RPGguru is not up there - our buddies here at MMORPG.com own the domain for it.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Link me a site that is equal ot better then this and i would agree.

There is none :P

Personal taste comes in mind to, i like it there and can check alot of stuff in a few mouse clicks and see good info on what iam looking for.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Mothanos

Link me a site that is equal ot better then this and i would agree.

There is none :P

Personal taste comes in mind to, i like it there and can check alot of stuff in a few mouse clicks and see good info on what iam looking for.

thats easy..

MMORPG News - New MMO News, Free MMOs, Tidbit, Top 10, Topics, Previews - www.mmosite.com

Free MMORPG Online Games & Free MMO RPG Directory - OnRPG.com

mmohut as well, there are tons of them, in the past mmorpg really seperated itself from them by being more specialized and as a result was a far better site, now its adding all the trash and fluf and becoming more like the rest, mmo sites are just difusing into a mess if you ask me.

Sure the content is still here its not gone, but its being obscured at times by all the crap we need to sift through to get at it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I agree mostly with OP.

It is sickening to see all pro-RMT and pro-cash-shop articles out in mmorpg.com, but on the other hand I am not surprised.

I was working for some time as a journalist and I've learned some cold truth. Mmorpg.com and similar sites will express opinions based on what industry spend most marketting money on.  Because nowadays many games go F2P or freemium and imho mmorpg market is proceeding into something like 85%-90% of mmo's will be f2p or freemium and maybe 10% will be still p2p + few will try some other models, then game companies obviously spends alot of money for marketting and advertisements and that's why sites on internet will change their opinions and articles.

Simple as that. Money talks. This is unfortunatelly normal and it was always like that.

That's why I stopped making my decisions based on "opinions" and articles from websites and newspaprers, magazines and such.  I have my own measures that I made decisions on and while this unfortunetally make my decision making much slower and I've to put much more effort in making decisions, they are usually more satisfying and plain better.

For non-mmorpg or even non-mmo games that are beign covered on this site. Well that's ultimate proof that mmos are already viewed by large enough portion of playerbase as nothing diffrent as other games.

Directly comparing games like Diablo, League of Legends or Skyrim to mmorpg'sjust shows how playerbase has changed because of mmorpg's going mainstream and how mmorpg's changed themselves - since most mmorpg's nowadays are just single player with co-op option games instead of true MMO they once were.