Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most discussed MMO on MMORPG.COM- Skyrim

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

PC and keyboard/mouse.  Was rough the first day or 2, but now that I've got the hotkeys down and favorites, it's actually nice and fast.  Still not happy with the mouse and choosing dialogue choices, but it's a minor inconvenience.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by elocke

I want Everquest Next to be a world and blow me away.  I'm not holding my breath on it though, or any MMORPG to come no matter how hyped or good they look on paper/videos.  Been burnt by WAR, AoC, STO, CO, DCUO, and now SWTOR by the way they spin their game.  I'm just going to judge each game by my  launch day or after experience and pray for the best.  It worked with Skyrim, totally thought I was going to hate it and was just blown away.

I want Everquest Next to be a world and be great as well, for the Players. I will never play it, I have lost so much faith in SOE that a line in the sand has been crossed for me... but it would be great if all the hype and "promises" (quoted loosely) actually happen to reflect the final released product.

I hope the best for you and other Players of EQ NEXT.

• MMOSareDEADMMOSareDEAD Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Do you see the MMO genre ever going back to the goal of making an online world as opposed to a game?

Smedley: I would say, without giving away to much, EverQuest Next is much truer to that vision. We feel really strongly about that. Players are going to be pretty surprised. They're not going to see us do EverQuest 2.5 or make a World of Warcraft clone or anything like that. We have an entirely new direction and we believe very strongly that the concept of it being a world is the way to go.

So much for all the d bags on this site calling you names anytime you either use the "WoW clone" expression or share your hopes for some more sandbox features in future MMOs.

Here's a leading figure of the MMO industry not only using the clone expression but also promissing the next EQ will be more sandbox than themepark.

Thanks Smedley for enlightening the narrow minded themepark fanbois of mmorpg.com.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Kost

PC, with mouse and keyboard.

Not sure why so many people seem to have issues with the PC controls, the day one patch resolved nearly all of the problem issues related to those controls.

I tried playing with my gamepad and hated it.

Mouse and keyboard here as well, though I am having a few issues.

Clicking things is a pain sometimes, as when I click a chat dialog it doesn't always choose what I select.

Another issue is the mouse speed inside the game...

On my desktop I have it up to the max, but in game the mouse slows down incredibly and I cannot figure out how to increase it.  I have increased the look speed, but when actually using the mouse pointer in game, it moves very slow, for my liking.

Anyone know if this can be changed?

--

(POSSIBLE SPOILER) (Not that big of one, if at all)

Also I hate hate hate that dog.  It is the most annoying thing in the world, not only does it bark all the time, but it blocks me in places making it hard to get out of...and the most annoying aspect of all?

It pushes me.  It runs and runs and it pushes my character around.  It has pushed me off a cliff, it has pushed me when I was attempting to read a book and make me steal instead, it has pushed me around corners, exposing me to the enemy.  I hate that dog with all my heart.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by elocke

PC and keyboard/mouse.  Was rough the first day or 2, but now that I've got the hotkeys down and favorites, it's actually nice and fast.  Still not happy with the mouse and choosing dialogue choices, but it's a minor inconvenience.

Same set-up.  Mouse and keyboard with the hotkeys favorited.  :)

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Yeah, I think that the recent surge of topics about Skyrim may reflect (I am not stating a causal relationship, but rather a correlational relationship) the disappointments or frustrations the current mmo players have.

This was the same reaction I got when I introduced Morrowind to my friends back in 2005 or 2006 (I didn't own Oblivion til 2007). They were console single-player hardcore gamers, and their reaction was: "Why would we play that? It feels like an MMO."

The thing is though, although Skyrim has all the qualities needed for an MMO, doesn't necessarily mean it should be an MMO. It's like getting a big pan composed of water and other elements found in the human body and saying that "that should be a human". It doesn't work that way simply because a human has a consciousness, or for others, a soul.

Yes, I said it alright, soul.

The soul of Skyrim is different. It wants presents a world to a player. Its focus is presenting the world to a single-person. It uses what it has to present the world for a single-person.

As for MMOs? I think I don't have to state that it has a different soul. I still haven't quite gotten there yet as to how to present an MMOs soul. The closest thing that I could say is that MMOs focus on the multiplayer aspect, so it means that MMO should focus more on fostering a community. The statement itself is still shallow, but if I can create a better explanation, I'll post it here immediately.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by sevitoth

Back in 1998, UO killed single player games for me. I just couldn't play a single player game after playing in a living breathing world with other players.

In 2011, Skyrim killed MMOs for me. I won't be able to play MMOs again after playing in a living breathing world again.....even if it is alone.

This ^^^

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

yup skyrim is awesome..

just wish we could fight on horse.. but understandable the amount of animation work required.. still.. i really though they would have made it for skyrim.

graphics pretty good.. finally someone realised people do like realistic graphics.. and not tomatoes with wings from the outer dimension or w/e..

Games very immersive with an awesome and dynamic combat system that becomes additive. well done, we want more :]

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by Dragim

Originally posted by Kost

PC, with mouse and keyboard.

Not sure why so many people seem to have issues with the PC controls, the day one patch resolved nearly all of the problem issues related to those controls.

I tried playing with my gamepad and hated it.

Mouse and keyboard here as well, though I am having a few issues.

Clicking things is a pain sometimes, as when I click a chat dialog it doesn't always choose what I select.

Another issue is the mouse speed inside the game...

On my desktop I have it up to the max, but in game the mouse slows down incredibly and I cannot figure out how to increase it.  I have increased the look speed, but when actually using the mouse pointer in game, it moves very slow, for my liking.

Anyone know if this can be changed?

--

(POSSIBLE SPOILER) (Not that big of one, if at all)

Also I hate hate hate that dog.  It is the most annoying thing in the world, not only does it bark all the time, but it blocks me in places making it hard to get out of...and the most annoying aspect of all?

It pushes me.  It runs and runs and it pushes my character around.  It has pushed me off a cliff, it has pushed me when I was attempting to read a book and make me steal instead, it has pushed me around corners, exposing me to the enemy.  I hate that dog with all my heart.

You could always use one of these mods to either turn off the Dog Barking or turn it down considerably...

As for the mouse slowdown issues, I have a few suggetions.  One would be to turn off/on mouse smoothing, and see what is better for you:

• Edit SkyrimPrefs.ini ~ in My Documents/My Games/Skyrim

Then under the [controls] section, change the 1 to a 0 to turn it off or 1 to turn it on.

• bMouseAcceleration=1

sometimes that helps, or check what Hz you have your resolution running in from your GPU settings, and turn it up if its lower than usual.  {For example, I forgot to change the HZ from 24 to 60 on my new HDTV and the mouse lag was really bad and load times much longer than they should have been.  Fixed now and smooth as butter...and less then 2-3sec loading}

I play with KB and Mouse too!  At first I thought it was horrible because of the Hz issue, but now that I figured that out it runs very well.  Still though it can be a bit wonky with the highlighted text not on par with the arrow selector and the proper menus not opening.  Also before I knew you could set favorites to hotkeys, opening the menu to change weapons a 1/2 dozen times in every battle was annoying, but thats been resolved so all is good!

I now have 49 mods installed, and adding more everyday, but it'll get even better once the modding community gets ahold of the COnstruction Sets and are truly set free in their creations...

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Originally posted by Picklebeast

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Because alot of users around are not real mmorpg lovers. Are single players rpg lovers only.

If we look to the most of so call AAA mmorpg tittles around, is all about personal players score. Most of players dont want to play a group oriented game, want a rpg adventure where in the end can show their goals/archivements to others inside a virtual world, nothing more then that.

Its not the 1st time this hapened in mmorpg.com and will not be the last, sometimes i check if im really in "MMORPG".com. One of the best places to gather info (if not the best) about MMORPGs.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Most discussed MMO on MMORPG.COM- Skyrim

^^ fix the title, its not  multplayer and its not online. gee lol.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by Jabas

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Because alot of users around are not real mmorpg lovers. Are single players rpg lovers only.

If we look to the most of so call AAA mmorpg tittles around, is all about personal players score. Most of players dont want to play a group oriented game, want a rpg adventure where in the end can show their goals/archivements to others inside a virtual world, nothing more then that.

Its not the 1st time this hapened in mmorpg.com and will not be the last, sometimes i check if im really in "MMORPG".com. One of the best places to gather info (if not the best) about MMORPGs.

I beg to disagree. It isn't about the players being lovers of single-player RPGs. It's because Skyrim also has features people expect from MMOs (immensity of the world, the feeling of realism, etc). The thing though is that people mistake that just because Skyrim has these features, it should be an MMO. The game direction is different.

But going back to topic, I think that people love Skyrim because it has all the features they want from an MMO, and that they are currently feeling the frustration from the current MMOs around.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by MMOSareDEAD

So much for all the d bags on this site calling you names anytime you either use the "WoW clone" expression or share your hopes for some more sandbox features in future MMOs.

Here's a leading figure of the MMO industry not only using the clone expression but also promissing the next EQ will be more sandbox than themepark.

Thanks Smedley for enlightening the narrow minded themepark fanbois of mmorpg.com.

Now wait, what exactly was enlightening about his statement?

Also: do you honestly think themepark fans have a problem with the concept of sandboxes? I don't think TP fans are against the idea of sandboxes or virtual worlds, they just get sick and tired of their specific forums being overrun with sandbox fans putting any game down that isn't catering to their wants or desires. I'm a sandbox fan and I get sick of it myself.

BTW LOL at thinking Smed using the term WOW-clone is anything but posturing to those who use such terminology.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

It's probably because Skyrim is just what most MMO players ten years ago was hoping the genre would be like in the future. Fun, freedom, impact, character; and epic adventures in an interesting world. 

A poster in this thread said Skyrim killed the MMOs for him/her. That's probably because, after all the disappointments and the actual effort of still trying to keep the faith, now playing Skyrim you realize why we're not seeing - and perhaps will not see - just this kind of awesome in MMOs. And you become aware of how the genre has strayed further and further from this initial vision. So Skyrim is like both a wake-up call and comfort food at the same time! 

Anyway...

fus ro dah, mahfaeraak. fus ro dah. ;)

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

comparing the concept of MMO's to Skyrim is silly.

no matter how great Skyrim is (and it is) it would be infinitely better if it were all that it is now PLUS being an MMO.

Skyrim is an excellent game that failed to implement any MMO features.

just because a really awsome novel is written, doesent mean that movies are a bad idea.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Teala

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

I think you hit the nail on the head =P

QFT.    Agreed.  Its so hard to manage what you can in a single player game into an mmo.  So many games have tried and come close but not enough...

I honestly think a game that was like skyrim but online might not be the best way to port it, you'd have to make some choice design changes for the massive part of the multiplayer experience.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Cruoris

no matter how great Skyrim is (and it is) it would be infinitely better if it were all that it is now PLUS being an MMO.

How so?  What makes Skyrim so great for me is how immersive the experience is, add in 100's of players dancing or running around naked, while talking trash and stating how badass Chuck Norris is, would severly detract from that immersion. "MMO" does not automatically make a game better.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

just because a really awsome novel is written, doesent mean that movies are a bad idea.

I agree TES (The Elder Scrolls) presents a very tempting setting for an MMO... the world is HUGE, the lore is rich and overall each game has been quite the work of art.  However... I don't think TES would make a good MMO, why?  Us (The players)

#1.  All the random trash items laying around in TES games that are there to improve a settings sourroundings wouldn't be there.  Why? Because people would take it all even if just to trash it leaving places like taverns... tables... bookshielves... empty / barren.

#2.  All the NPC characters would be dead 90% of the time just for the "lulz"

#3.  TES as an MMO would have to be a sandbox game with FPS controls and full loot.  Maybe 5% of you pansies would be able to handle that

The closest we have to a TES MMO is Darkfall Online.  Despite its issues.  The sad part?  TES: Skyrim feels more "Alive" than Darkfall does.  If Darkfall were to have actual NPC characters that brought life to not only the cities buit the world in general the game would be MUCH better.  

So yeah.  Make me a TES MMORPG... I'd love it... and so would 5% of the market after launch.  Might sell well because it has the TES name on the box... but I promse you half you themepark kiddies wouldn't be able to handle the game.  Sorry I don't mean to be rude.

Full Sail University - Game Design

Originally posted by Bainwalker

*snip*  Sorry I don't mean to be rude.

Then try not insulting your audience  :-D

I think more people would like an elder scrolls MMO than you think, UO had A TON of little items sitting around that added to its envrioment that people didn't just "trash" as you put it, infact people added items to the world, making it more authentic.

It doesn't have to be full loot, could be a modified loot system similar to origional UO or old school Runescape, maybe certain items you can have blessed to not be lootable by some means.

Its entirely possible to make an Elder scrolls game that appeals to the same audience that likes its single player version.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

*snip*  Sorry I don't mean to be rude.

Then try not insulting your audience  :-D

I think more people would like an elder scrolls MMO than you think, UO had A TON of little items sitting around that added to its envrioment that people didn't just "trash" as you put it, infact people added items to the world, making it more authentic.

It doesn't have to be full loot, could be a modified loot system similar to origional UO or old school Runescape, maybe certain items you can have blessed to not be lootable by some means.

Its entirely possible to make an Elder scrolls game that appeals to the same audience that likes its single player version.

Sorry but I feel changing any of the features in the single player games would be a step away from what TES is about.  Freedom.  If I kill you I have the right to what is on your corpse.  Same goes if you kill me.  Items should be easily gotten with obviously some costing more than others.  

Again you want to try to change a core concept in TES just to suite the mainstream.  THAT is why it would fail and tarnish the series good name.  The change casual gamers would demand would ruin the entire concepts behind TES.

Adding freedom to a game is good.  Taking it away because people are pixel whores?  Not good.

• OdyssesOdysses Member Posts: 581

Originally posted by Teala

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

I think you nailed my feelings exactly and I haven't even played skyrim yet lol!!

Something very funny to me, in the early days UO, Everquest and AC, they all captured this essential element.  Regardless which game you played, those games were virtual large open worlds for players to explore.  Regardless if your a Sandbox or Themepark fan, the living breathing virtual world shouldn't have to suffer in all these new MMO's.

Sorry but I feel changing any of the features in the single player games would be a step away from what TES is about.  Freedom.  If I kill you I have the right to what is on your corpse.  Same goes if you kill me.  Items should be easily gotten with obviously some costing more than others.  

Again you want to try to change a core concept in TES just to suite the mainstream.  THAT is why it would fail and tarnish the series good name.  The change casual gamers would demand would ruin the entire concepts behind TES.

Adding freedom to a game is good.  Taking it away because people are pixel whores?  Not good.

See in the search for authentisity you are sacraficing fun. 

:-(

In Elder scrolls games if you die you restart at your last save, you don't have to take 10 hours to go get all the things you had again, mine up some ore and craft some gear. 

it wouldn't be in the spirit of elder scrolls to punish the player thusly.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I didn't follow anything about Skyrim before release. I completely forgot it was coming. I hesitated before buying it because I didn't really feel like playing single player games. Then I decided to give it a try because I didn't have anything to do.......

I haven't had that much fun from a game for years.

In Elder scrolls games if you die you restart at your last save, you don't have to take 10 hours to go get all the things you had again, mine up some ore and craft some gear. 

Actually yes... yes it would.  You gotta remember in the spirit of full loot even mobs have to drop what you SEE them wearing.  Items would be easily gotten once you respawn by finding some bandits to kill.  Those items from NPC / mobs should obviously not be as good as the player crafted items... but it's something to get a player going again.

It's all about balance... which is very hard to find.  However negating a core concept because people like you can't handle it is not an option.  

same rules from DF would applky.

#1 Bank often / only carry what you need for what you are doing

#2. Don't wear what you can't afford to replace

It's very easy to survive in a sandbox full loot game.  Plan ahead.  

Actually yes... yes it would.  You gotta remember in the spirit of full loot even mobs have to drop what you SEE them wearing.  Items would be easily gotten once you respawn by finding some bandits to kill.  Those items from NPC / mobs should obviously not be as good as the player crafted items... but it's something to get a player going again.

It's all about balance... which is very hard to find.  However negating a core concept because people like you can't handle it is not an option.  

same rules from DF would applky.

#1 Bank often / only carry what you need for what you are doing

#2. Don't wear what you can't afford to replace

It's very easy to survive in a sandbox full loot game.  Plan ahead.  

Yep, again you are talking down to your audience, most of us (people reading MMO-RPG.com) are people who have played Sandbox games or at least have an idea what they are about.

I myself am an avid minecraft player, and Played UO from launch until Trammel.  So I get what you are saying.

Sorry, Hard Core death penalty stuff is what killed sandbox games.

You gotta balance risk and reward, can't just say realisim trumps all.