Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most discussed MMO on MMORPG.COM- Skyrim

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Well.. Mmo's usually just come down to .. RPG.. And elderscrolls is a god amongst rpg's.

I dont find it very strange that its the most discussed thing here, because yes - Mmo's are stale and dumb at the moment.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Teala

I think we're all so excited because Skyrim is delivering whart so many MMORPG's fail to give us players - a living breathing virtual world.

I think you hit the nail on the head =P

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Maybe because Skyrim is just so flat out awesome, so incredibly addictive, that it has drawn our attention away from other games (MMOs or whatnot) even if just for a little while.  Let us also assume that some people don't solely play RPGs, single player or online.  Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 has also recently come out, not to mention the new Batman game.

Basically, I think that enough awesome games have come out in the most recent month or so to make us forget how much we enjoy complaining about how stale the MMO industry is.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by Picklebeast

I think you hit the nail on the head =P

Here here! I am so immersed in Skyrim right now I don't even play some of the betas I am in. This is the MMO I have been looking for since pre cu SWG lol. I have to say this game is as  immersive as Morrowind was for me years ago. I have to go play now!

Originally posted by nickster29

Maybe because Skyrim is just so flat out awesome, so incredibly addictive, that it has drawn our attention away from other games (MMOs or whatnot) even if just for a little while.  Let us also assume that some people don't solely play RPGs, single player or online.  Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 has also recently come out, not to mention the new Batman game.

Basically, I think that enough awesome games have come out in the most recent month or so to make us forget how much we enjoy complaining about how stale the MMO industry is.

-Sure... And occasionally other games are discussed here... But not to this degree. There are more posts/topics about Skyrim than anything else (not that I have counted so if someone does count and proves me wrong...) and this is very unusual for an MMO site such as this.

Topics about other games are one thing... An MMO forum ( a MAJOR MMO forum- here) having this game being discussed above any other MMORPG right now- It says something.

To me- It says that (as has been pointed out) Skyrim, while being single player- Is the best living, breathing World out there... This is what we want, why we play.

Devs need to take notice (and I think they have) a single player game is capable of being a better MMORPG than your MMORPGs are (which are single player games esentially anyhow). I think this might be a good thing.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Back in 1998, UO killed single player games for me. I just couldn't play a single player game after playing in a living breathing world with other players.

In 2011, Skyrim killed MMOs for me. I won't be able to play MMOs again after playing in a living breathing world again.....even if it is alone.

Now I just gotta figure out how to cancel my pre-order for SWTOR....

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

Originally posted by sevitoth

Back in 1998, UO killed single player games for me. I just couldn't play a single player game after playing in a living breathing world with other players.

In 2011, Skyrim killed MMOs for me. I won't be able to play MMOs again after playing in a living breathing world again.....even if it is alone.

Now I just gotta figure out how to cancel my pre-order for SWTOR....

Wow-(edit: not world of warcraft lol- was meaning WOW like - exited/astounded) UO killed single player games for me as well...

I have not had a chance to play Skyrim yet (I am really looking forward to it- I avoided the hype based on how disapointed I was with Oblivion but now that I am hearing things like this from seasoned gamers- I am hyped)

I totally agree...Most MMOs are essentially bad single player games wit a chat room/ah (makes things interesting) which give the illusion of a world. I really have more hope from the industry right now than every- Based on Skyrim and how it is overshadowing MMOs on MMO websites... Someone is going to realize there is a MAJOR market to do a game like this online... Its coming...I can feel it =D

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

BINGO!  I don't know why this concept is so hard for MMORPG developers these days to wrap their heads around, I mean they started as worlds.  Suddenly we're being deluged with these F2P shallow lobby games or worlds the size of small islands(rift, cough, cough).  I really hope the new training program for developers is to play Skyrim first THEN come up with MMORPG ideas and designs.

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98
    Playing skyrim and loving it. If it had hot bars it would be an mmo to me.
    I mean look at it this way, the only thing skyrim is missing that mmo's have is a chat
    And group instances.
    Skyrim will not fail to deliver. It will only improve when the modders get spooled up.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Isnt it interesting that the most discussed thing on MMORPG.com is... A single player game made (essentially) with Console Gaming in mind?

Thoughts?

Thoughts?  How about...proof?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Thoughts?

surly your joking =P

-If not... Just lok at the top threads on the home page and keep in mind - This is MMORPG.com (nearly every post is about Skyrim)- I have already said I havnt counted threads/posts and this is an observation..But by all means count away and prove me wrong =D

Thoughts?

surly your joking =P

-If not... Just lok at the top threads on the home page and keep in mind - This is MMORPG.com (nearly every post is about Skyrim)- I have already said I havnt counted threads/posts and this is an observation..But by all means count away and prove me wrong =D

Um, not joking in the least.  I live on the Real-Time Forum Overview page:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/realtime/

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I still think SWTOR is probably discussed more, however there are quite a bit of threads/posts about Skyrim.

Rightfully so imo.  It's one of the best games I have played in many years.  I feel sickening saying this but I've already got 40 hours into the game.  I can safely say that it's been quite a while since any MMO has captivated me in the same way.  Besides some Eve Online fun, nothing in the MMO genre has impressed me or even given me a really fun time in a long time.  The MMO genre has been messed up for a few years, with either eveyone trying to emulate World of Warcraft, or trying to take advantage of this 'f2p' trend.  The kind of games that I personally enjoy, open-ended games, have all been flops over the past few years.  Unfortunately after beta testing SWTOR, I don't think things are going to change very soon.  Of course GW2 or Secret World may be great and innovative, but I am not holding my breath.  Too many letdowns with MMOs.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

You Teala?

You say this about Skyrim?

Damn, got to go....

*runs out of house, jumps in car, and heads to town to buy Skyrim*

(yes the MMO genre is that messed up and disappointing)

Originally posted by Worstluck

I still think SWTOR is probably discussed more, however there are quite a bit of threads/posts about Skyrim.

SWTOR gets the most hits.  More than six times the #2 game so far today (19k vs 3.4k).  For the week, twice the #2 (83k vs 35k).  For the month, 2.5 times the #2 (382k vs 148k).

As for the discussions, have to keep in mind all the SWTOR discussions taking place...while there is a NDA in place...so people are not free to talk about the game.

I'm not a SWTOR fan by any means, but it is what it is here at MMORPG.com.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by elocke

BINGO!  I don't know why this concept is so hard for MMORPG developers these days to wrap their heads around, I mean they started as worlds.  Suddenly we're being deluged with these F2P shallow lobby games or worlds the size of small islands(rift, cough, cough).  I really hope the new training program for developers is to play Skyrim first THEN come up with MMORPG ideas and designs.

This is from EQ Next which has been in dev since 2008/2009 ish.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=25641&storypage=1

Do you see the MMO genre ever going back to the goal of making an online world as opposed to a game?

Smedley: I would say, without giving away to much, EverQuest Next is much truer to that vision. We feel really strongly about that. Players are going to be pretty surprised. They're not going to see us do EverQuest 2.5 or make a World of Warcraft clone or anything like that. We have an entirely new direction and we believe very strongly that the concept of it being a world is the way to go.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

It's because I've been an Elder Scrolls Fan since Arena and was critizising TES games for their lack of engaging animations, in-world events and clunky skill system (Morrowind acrobatics anyone) for 15 years; Praising their unique and uber-epic open-world approach, free questing, extremely well implemented lore...

These games were among the best stuff I had the pleasure of playing through in the past 20 years; And Skyrim has actually, while other sequels tend to deteriorate into laughable shadows of their original selves, IMPROVED everything people were complaining about in the prequels (except the UI, which was honestly never Bethesdas strength)...

So well, it's probably the best game I've laid my hands on for years, it is what no MMORPG in the last 8 years could deliver for me and presumably, telling by the 3.2 million copies sold during the first 2 days, this strikes true for a whole lot of people.

Bethesda is the last company, even Bioware slipped and twisted, on the planet to commit to their style of games no matter where the market goes. And I love them for this.

I even bought the collectors edition; My first collectors edition ever, not because of the stuff that's in it, but to support this one last true "western open world no shit just gritty epicness"-RPG company. Cheers.

M

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I wonder if it is because single player games come out and it is what it is.  It is not like we can voice our displeasure and have them "change the rules" or "add/take away thing".

Granted that single player games can be patched to fix glitches, but I think because it is you versus the AI solo it is different than a PvP (class balancing) or PvE (class balancing/boss fixing).

Granted again they could patch, but I duno.

I just think single player games are what they are, you pay once and that is it (well, sorta..this DLC crap is..well..bullcrap) but with a MMO F2P or P2P, the game is constantly changing, expasnsiosn come out, you have to compete with others whether PvE or PvP.

You have to socially interact (to an extent).

Also - someone said MMO's are stale, which I definetly agree.

As far as a "living breathing world" it is much easier to accomplish this when it is accomodating to one single player, not a massive server with 100s, if not 1000s of people running around.

Also Skyrim is just badass, so there is that too..

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Do you see the MMO genre ever going back to the goal of making an online world as opposed to a game?

Smedley: I would say, without giving away to much, EverQuest Next is much truer to that vision. We feel really strongly about that. Players are going to be pretty surprised. They're not going to see us do EverQuest 2.5 or make a World of Warcraft clone or anything like that. We have an entirely new direction and we believe very strongly that the concept of it being a world is the way to go.

Nice sentiments and goals from Smedley *COUGH**GAG*. Too bad I can't believe a word he says.

I'm sorry, but I can not take anything Mr. Smedley says seriously. He should run for Congress or even President, that fits his talents better I think.

I am not trying to troll, really. I do in fact want MMORPG's to be built first as virtual worlds, then add the game, to me that is how it should be done (my opinion even though 6 billion will disagree). it's a eye opener and a shame really when a singleplayer RPG is what the MMORPG Players are tripping over everybody to go play because everything else is so mediocre.

If you can Hrimnir, please quote somebody in the MMO Industry most of us would believe. I would love to hear some good news.

• MMOSareDEADMMOSareDEAD Member Posts: 47

I do not want to discuss Skyrim here, its flaws or merits- Rather I want to discuss why a single player game is currently the best "MMORPG" out right now... Or at the very least- Its the most interesting.

Is the genre that bad, that stale? Is Skyim that good??? Seriously, this is probably the biggest MMO site out there and the hottest topic for the last week (or longer) is Skyrim- Or at least it seems that way. And its notjust here- Every other MMO forum I frequent sems to have Skyrim as its hot topic.

Personally, I think this says a whole lot ablut what us MMORPG lovers have to choose from in terms of solid games. How many of you still play an MMORPG? I havnt in probably a year...Still...Waiting...

-AND right now we are on the heels of a Star Wars MMO which (not wanting to discuss this either) I feel is a WoW clone and isnt going to hold gamers attention very long... But at least we currently have a game worth hype. What  if it fails to deliver, what then???

Thoughts?

Dunno man I see way more posts about TOR than Skyrim but yeah It is talked about alot around here.

I don't see anything unusual about it though. It's a huge title, it's an RPG and it just came out.

D3 will surely get talked about even more when it releases and it's not an MMO either.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Originally posted by Hrimnir

Nice sentiments and goals from Smedley *COUGH**GAG*. Too bad I can't believe a word he says.

I'm sorry, but I can not take anything Mr. Smedley says seriously. He should run for Congress or even President, that fits his talents better I think.

I am not trying to troll, really. I do in fact want MMORPG's to be built first as virtual worlds, then add the game, to me that is how it should be done (my opinion even though 6 billion will disagree). it's a eye opener and a shame really when a singleplayer RPG is what the MMORPG Players are tripping over everybody to go play because everything else is so mediocre.

If you can Hrimnir, please quote somebody in the MMO Industry most of us would believe. I would love to hear some good news.

I want Everquest Next to be a world and blow me away.  I'm not holding my breath on it though, or any MMORPG to come no matter how hyped or good they look on paper/videos.  Been burnt by WAR, AoC, STO, CO, DCUO, and now SWTOR by the way they spin their game.  I'm just going to judge each game by my  launch day or after experience and pray for the best.  It worked with Skyrim, totally thought I was going to hate it and was just blown away.

For those enjoying Skyrim...are you playing on console or perhaps playing on PC with an X-Box style controller?

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

PC, with mouse and keyboard.

Not sure why so many people seem to have issues with the PC controls, the day one patch resolved nearly all of the problem issues related to those controls.

I tried playing with my gamepad and hated it.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

For those enjoying Skyrim...are you playing on console or perhaps playing on PC with an X-Box style controller?

I play with mouse and keyboard with key bindings after 2-3 h of gamplay ther its no problem

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic