Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Reasons Skyrim Should be an MMO

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by gaugemew

I think the biggest reason on that list is a classless system.  I still to this day think going classless was a step forwards in MMO, not backwards.  It allows you to be what you want to be.

I do  not agree what so ever ,the PERFECT design was showed to the world by FFXI.It is called a wel ldesigned sub class system.It was designed very well,not like other games that simply throw stuff together.This sub class allowed you to design your player with hundreds of options.The big differenmce is that in FFXI although the design allowed felxibility,you remained in the ROLE PLAYING envirnoment becuase you still had a distinct feel to your class.

As for the 5 reasons listed.

You cannto\ot compare housing ina single player game to what is capable in a MMO,it is like night and day.ArcheAge is going to do much better anyhow and in a MMO setting.

I think i would enjoy Skyrim as a MMO ,however it is just too hard to compare what you see in a single player game and what you would see in a MMO.It is also VERY easy to design the entire game i na single player environment because you do not have all the variables of other players.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Teala

Not sure I want a Elder Scrolls MMORPG.  Weird me that I am saying this, but I think they should run with this game engine add more areas to this game Skyrim and make it a co-op game.   That I think would make the game better - not an MMORPG though.  If anything, this game should be studied by MMORPG game makers to see how a "world" should be made.    I've always said...give us a world, fill it with wonder, give players the tools to do things other that just slaughter mindless, stagnat mobs, and they will play the hell out of it.   Skyrim is proving just that, it is shattering game records left and right.  :)

maybe an improved coop version of what dark souls provide? sounds nice to have a coop but yeah, not mmo

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

you dont need to turn every RPG into an MMO, just add a co op mode where another player can bring their character into your world and can gain experience and items and keep them when they go back to their file. Just do a Skyrim + champions  of norrath system and you will be fine....

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Only thing I can say about an TES MMO: All non essential npcs will be dead. Dead. Someone will be using a fireball mixed with paralysis that does damage within a radius of 1000m and a DoT that ticks for 1000 health each second. <--- This is my No.1 reason for not wanting it. Someone is just going to be an ass before I can be one :( I wanna kill the npcs first!

BOOYAKA!

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by cyress8

Only thing I can say about an TES MMO: All non essential npcs will be dead. Dead. Someone will be using a fireball mixed with paralysis that does damage within a radius of 1000m and a DoT that ticks for 1000 health each second. <--- This is my No.1 reason for not wanting it. Someone is just going to be an ass before I can be one :( I wanna kill the npcs first!

thus resulting in the never ending balance act developers like ti play. ** PvP

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i would be even happy just having a battle grounds aspect added to the game. a separate instance where you can que up( maybe in the capital's arena) and fight other Skyrim players across the network. much like Mount and Blade has, except that when you go into the BG you bring your own character with all it's equippment/statts.

you wouldn't have to change anytning with the game. you would just be adding  the option to do a little pvp when ever you want a change from pve. if you dont want to you don't have to.

they could also add raids in the same fashion.

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

5) This is easier said than done. In a single player setting, the game only tracks one character's crafted items and recipe. A server to handle multiple custom items and recipe will require a large database. Now multiply that size into 100,000 to 10mil -- that's one heck of a database to track all custom items. This is a reason why items in MMOs are IDed and controlled. Is it nice to have in an MMO? Sure is, but I doubt any developer would want to support it without sacrificing something else.

4) Same problem here. In Skyrim, the game only tracks one player, while in an MMO, it ranges from thousands to millions. Using the blacksmith example, investing in that trade will be open to everyone and everyone will gain profit and eventually make everyone rich. To regulate this, the developer will have to add a bidding process or share system (which obviously not in Skyrim) to make it fair to all investors also to create competition for all blacksmithing trades. Now the problem is obvious, tracking single player vs multi-million players. Same goes with housings -- thats why games with housing have this in an instance.

3) I totally agree. This should be a staple on all MMO. Or atleast allow you to change class on the same character like how FFXI does it.

2) This might be interesting. A game system that puts you in jail when caught outside any GM's intervention.

1) Reason #5 is enough reason why this kind of MMO will never happen. Add Reason #4, then this idea is DoA.

(Ok fine, maybe in a far distant future this is possible, but that future will consider this idea to be obsolete)

Ready for GW2!!!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

A lot of this stuff should be in an mmo.

However, in many ways, mmo's just don't work. They are about something else entirely; getting people together in a world and having them interact.

All the magic of a game such as Skyrim would be completely lost once you get the kill stealing, camping mobs, griefing, being in a secluded place but not having it be secluded, etc.

Unless of course you made the game like Guild Wars and had hub areas and then players could get into a group of their own desire.

Or make it so that it's a mini co-op game but one where you can go anywhere you want in the world and you can leave your companions in another city (still having the chat window).

So the article lists great things that mmo's would benefit from but I think you lose something once you get thousands of people playing in the same world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I hope Todd Howard stands by his word and never makes the Elder Scrolls into an MMO.  There have been far too many IPs being ruined by the dumbed down nature that an MMO must pursue to appeal to the masses and be successful , not to mention tons of features that would have to be cut because an MMO can't support them.

I tire of MMOs, cause they don't hold a candle to the greatness of a single player adventure!  They're all, do this same exact thing over and over until you reach the cap, then go do this other thing thats slightly different, yet in reality the same damn thing again, over and over...

Until a developer decides to return MMOs to their original UO & EQ roots, {am greatly looking forward to whatever Richard Garriott is cooking up} I just don't know if I could stomach subbing to another anytime soon!  Especially after having played Skyrim...

• jackdaw31jackdaw31 Member Posts: 26

My friends and I have always been talking about this since Morrowind. However, not an MMO, too many issues and differences. But a compromise could be made.

How about just multiplayer, so you and 3 friends could band up? [Not for me, there are other RPG's out there that do this, and will do that in the future].

Or/and, just have a seperate area, like a "lobby" server where you can meet up out of the singleplayer game? With just friends, or anyone, either choice.

You could tell tales of your latest quests whilst sharing some Mead, show off your shiny new weapons, and maybe trade items. Maybe even a square or an arena to duel in, either to the death, or till one player yields, with maybe a system to let people bet on the outcome? I really hope they impliment something like this in a future game!

Too many alts!!

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by forest-nl

It will NEVER happen period stop wishing.

And i realy hope it will never happen is the BEST RPG series out there and Skyrim is aweome SOLO game that should stay SOLO.

So many MMO'S already and the ONE RPG that's solo but feels it have a similar world like mmo you wanne change bah:(

Lets cherrish this MARBLE, so few RPGs that give you a huge open world with total freedom in solo game should stay solo.

I think if they made it a MMO it would be dumb down so much into a themepark whole game would be a disgrace to the SOLO counter part.

Elder Scroll forever SOLO!!!

No one wants a dumbed down version as an MMO, that would defeat the point.  Theres actually FAR more games that give you total freedom as single player games than there MMORPGs that do it.  No MMO since UO has given the type of freedom that many people want.

Plus, you already have your solo Skyrim, why be selfish for no reason and not allow others to have an MMO version?  Not changing whaats in your hands.

What i mean is that bethesda  use there talent and time to create solo games and not use there resources and time to develop a MMO i think will be end of Elder Scrolls series, if another developer wanne make a mmo ala Skyrim go for it. But not Elder Scrolls those are for the solo fans:)

Closest game that ressemble Elder Scroll series is Darkfall.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

What are you thinking?!? Those reasons are WEAK for wanting Skyrim to be a MMOG. Skyrim has the skill-less system that peope "want", but only want in a SINGLE player RPG. I remember a game that recently came out that had this type of free pick and choose system, laid out a bit differently but the players stopped playing BECAUSE it is RETARDED in a MMOG. Don't get me wrong, some of the "Skyrim" reminds me of Rift, WoW, and now the "living world" is similar to Guild Wars 2 style. I would never play a game if Skyrim was the key development design. It's like tossing in Dragon Nest with some Rift "events", and TOR talking and interaction with npc. No, I do not WANT that kind of game, there is too much you can do with current style of games than go back to the caveman days where POOR design gave challenge to players.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

an elder scrolls mmo would just be a generic mmo. The things that make TES great would have to be changed completely in order to be made into an MMO so it'ds pointless. Like others have said, adding co-op or multiplayer would be good if it's done right. But as an mmo it wouldn't be TES anymore. Because someone has to lose and not everyone can be whatever they want because other players will be there to step all over that.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by marinrider

Originally posted by Yuui

How about the most clear reason why?

for the same reason Bordelands should have been a mmo.

it just feels friggin empty and lifeless.  

Now games like the ones bioware used to put out give you a cast of companions, etc, interactions that make it LESS lifeless and more like a story.

In this? "yay i got a house....and?"

For such a huge box there's just not enough sand in it. 

The world is perfect for a shared played experience, be it co-op or mmorpg. as purely singleplayer game? not really.

Have you played Skyrim yet?  From what I hear the world feels lively.  I never really had the lonliness problem in Oblivion or Morrowwind, so maybe your just not suited to SPRPGs.

I think, and so does the Bethesda project manager, that a TES game would be terrible as multiplayer because it would detract from the world.

I never had that problem with morrowind aand Oblivion frankly alrady had a bi tof that empty feel. 

With skyrim, sure you get dragons flying around, quests, etc, but characters are, IMO, a LOT less lively than in Oblivion or Morrowind. I cared for total of one guy(the old guy leader of Companions), but otherwise meh. There's no real interaction going  on even though npcs react to stuff that happens around them.  And then I bought a house. And entered it. And it hit me of just how empty the world feels character-wise. 

to put it in less words: most of time, you feel like you are the ONLY ONE alive in the entire damn world. 

Skyrim is just begging for some advanced and interesting companion mechanics, co op or mmorpg stuff. 

Frankly, while Skyrim is aesthetically pleasing and has decent mechanics, Morrowind remains unrivaled champion of Elder Scrolls franchise. :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Yeah cause the secret project they've been working on since 2006 couldn't possibly be an elder scrolls mmo...

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Yuui

I never had that problem with morrowind aand Oblivion frankly alrady had a bi tof that empty feel.

With skyrim, sure you get dragons flying around, quests, etc, but characters are, IMO, a LOT less lively than in Oblivion or Morrowind. I cared for total of one guy(the old guy leader of Companions), but otherwise meh. There's no real interaction going  on even though npcs react to stuff that happens around them.  And then I bought a house. And entered it. And it hit me of just how empty the world feels character-wise. 

to put it in less words: most of time, you feel like you are the ONLY ONE alive in the entire damn world. 

Skyrim is just begging for some advanced and interesting companion mechanics, co op or mmorpg stuff. 

Frankly, while Skyrim is aesthetically pleasing and has decent mechanics, Morrowind remains unrivaled champion of Elder Scrolls franchise. :)

Exact opposite for me. Skyrim feels like a living breathing world. I still get that singleplayer feeling, but when I play I get really involved with the characters. My favorite character I've met is probably Relof. Relof is the first character you see when you start the game sitting across from you. I noticed some people choose to go with Hadvar in the beginning of the game instead of going with Relof, which is a shame to me since I always thought Hadvar was a coward Imperial - he should have enforced Imperial law better or something and I didn't like his voice acting as much lol.

I agreed with the rest.

Buying a house is for those people who have acquired too much gold to spend it on something. It's more of a trophy. You can then go around looking for things to stuff your house full of. It's something to do after you get bored of the game. You can also get married and your spouse will live there and cook food for you once a day lol. But not that important.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Skyrim shouldn't be an MMORPG. However, I'm open to the discussion of a MMORPG game called The Elder Scrolls. Skyrim is just one country in The Elder Scrolls world. I'd want to see all of the different lands put in the MMORPG.

BUT, do I really want The Elders Scrolls MMORPG? Well, past experience with MMORPG's show that things are dumbed down for the masses and features that people clamour for the most are taken out to cater to the lowest common denominator. For example, the skill system would either go away in lieu of a class-based system or would be "balanced," which I have no desire for. Quests would probably be dumbed down in order to accomodate for 1000's of more quests to keep people subscribed.

Then you have quests that change the world. I like it that in SPG's I can change the world through my actions. If you have several thousand players on the same server, whose world gets changed? Phasing and instancing has their own problems.

Then you have players who ruin the game. People break immersion by arguing or talking about non game stuff in chat channels, they spoil the game, scream at developers to dumb the game down because it's too hard, jump on mail boxes, run around naked...must I go on? I mean, having other people in an Elder Scrolls game would be the worst feature in that game.

Now a good Co-op game akin to how Borderlands was setup for Co-op, except only allow characters to start fresh and be specific to that game, I'd be down for. Now you'll have a team of hero's, with the difficulty scaled up to accomodate that, and who follows the storys together. You control who plays with you, thus removing the people that would ruin the immersive experience.

Turn The Elder Scrolls into an MMORPG and it'd be the end of the series. Instead of an open world that changes based on your decisions, a skill based system that is rightfully not balanced, and a challenging and immersive world to live in, you'll have a linear quest based path, because that's what sells...else people will complain about the grind, instant dungeons, either FFA PvP or Battlegrounds, and raids.

No thanks.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Zenimax, parent company of Bethesda, created Zenimax Online for MMOs. So it's possible they are working on Elder Scrolls online.

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Dont care for an immortal just co-op DLC MAYBE?
  • Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Again, it's in development. Trust.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• Leviathon77Leviathon77 Member UncommonPosts: 42

Archage?

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Honestly money is the reason this type of MMO isn't being developed. All the server calls to them from every action in the game would blow them up instantly. It could happen, but it wouldn't be on a MMO scale of 1000+ players, shoot probably not even 100+. You could probably do it like Blizzard does with Diablo, small rooms of upto 8. Im kind of wondering if Skyrim might be able to be modded to have multiplayer capabilities. Hmm

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

now you just described Ultima Online :-) except a few minor things like the bounty system.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

All this article did was give examples why a game like Skyrim is better than most mmorpgs.  Its an RPG.  And a very good one.  I think whenever mmo enthusiasts see one they want it to become an mmorpg! 

Which is rediculous.  I think a lot of mmo fans would rather all great RPGs become mmorpgs.  And in the process they would be watered down. 

There's probably reasons, but I find that most all mmorpgs seem like a single player game that could have come out half a decade ago or more.  They seem constantly behind the curve in almost every regard.  The only real benefit?  The ability to play with a mass load of other people. 

If you turn Skyrim into another mmorpg, it would probably be a watered down version.   And thats something Elder Scrolls fans dont need.  If you feel confused why a game like Skyrim seems to top most of the mmorpgs you've played Im hardly surprised.  Maybe mmorpgs arent the pinnacle of the RPG genre?  Ever consider that?  Because they arent.  I dont see that changing any time soon. 

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I don't think it should be.... and here is why:

It will come to a already saturated fantasy market with really nothing new. While it excells at what it does (being a rpg), I do not believe it should be an mmo. Yes it is a great, wonderful game, even if it is slightly overhyped. But, does it bring annything new MMO wise to the table? I say no. It is great as a rpg, but I believe it won't be as an MMO simply becuase of how little it will actually contrbute in the end.

I've done some investigating/ asking those who have already played it. Now, while most of them haven't played it long enough to actually come to a finalised opinion without other than "Oh, this Company made it" or it does this better than compared to OTHER rpgs, so this statement may be obsulite within time (though there is much evidence it isn't simply becuase I asked them simple, straightfoward questions and forced simple, straightfoward answers out of them). Here is what I got:

1. Awesome graphics....

2. Constantly updated quest lines

3. Quests can have 2 different endings

4. While your story may be different, you always end in the same spot

5. Awesome graphics, bro

6. Nice combat (though still grindy...)

Is any of this really new to the MMO genre? Maybe to the common rpg genre, but not to the MMO genre.

P.S. Again, this is my basic idea of what I got from this game by asking the other people.