Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage: What D3 *COULD* Have been!

Comments

• DepartedSoulDepartedSoul Member UncommonPosts: 99

For those jumping on this thread without even reading, it is stated that Diablo 3, could have been more than just a re-skinned D2. 

With lineage we have a full fledged MMO, massive siege battles, large scale pvp, a more in depth combat system. So yes from an MMO perspective, hell even a Diablo style gaming perspective, this game ALREADY looks better in this early stage, from what I personally have seen of both games. 

When a man lies... he murders some part of the World.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by DarkAsmodeus

For those jumping on this thread without even reading, it is stated that Diablo 3, could have been more than just a re-skinned D2. 

With lineage we have a full fledged MMO, massive siege battles, large scale pvp, a more in depth combat system. So yes from an MMO perspective, hell even a Diablo style gaming perspective, this game ALREADY looks better in this early stage, from what I personally have seen of both games. 

Then you obviously haven't looked into Diablo 3 at all if you believe its just a reskinned version of D2.

You are right, it's not just a reskinned version of D2; it's a cartoonified, Pay2Win version of D2 w/ hotkeys.

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

anyone trying to convince these people of anythig good with diablo 3 are wasting there time. I have learned this with tor haters. 

they use lies and downright misinformation to try to prove there poinjts because the facts dont support them. if ive learned one thing about mmorpg users its there penchance for lies to support and unsupportable opinion and nothing will stop them from yelling its true even when its not. 

i dont anything about lineage and i know almost nothing about diablo 3. but i do know tellign people diablo 3 is its own game and not what they say it is will just make them tell more lies that have no real support. 

this ive learned from tor haters. and wow haters. and since diablo 3 is made by activision blizzard they will yell it sucks till they die just cause they hate activision/blizzard. 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by SuperXero89

The mother of all Korean F2P grinders gets a 3D upgrade that looks like a browser game, and people proclaim NCSoft the new king of MMORPGs.  What planet am I living on?

Lineage was the kind in Asia at the time, it was P2P also.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Does anyone know if this game is coming to the West, I can't find any English info.

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

This is the trailer for recently announced Lineage Eternal. The viewpoint takes it back to L1 and reminds me a LOT of Ultima and Baldurs Gate. 

NCsoft has taken the throne imho, with Anet and Guild Wars, and now THIS!?!?!?!??

Sorry D3... ITS OVER... you have just been sent to the grave. Lineage Eternal looks to have better combat, EPIC sieges, and is a full fledged mmo.

I would bet on houses and of course castles to claim, etc, following in true Lineage tradition. 

The scope of these battles and the interactive environments looks awesome. 

ENJOY 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-OV2ix_HU

Why one game has to send another one to grave? why can't they both co exist? i never understand this back ward thinking. If you don't like something it should just die. *rolls eyes*

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The first Lineage did remind me more of Diablo than Meridian 59 or UO when I beta tested it.

OP might have a point, at least to some degree. Blizz should have made D3 closer to a MMO in my opinion with some actually open zones.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I will admit L3 looks awesome. Im down with that iso view.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Neither D3 nor L3 interest me much.

But I have played both D2 and L2 and I'm kinda confused how anyone would possibly compare these two. They have a completely different focus and thus a completely different target audience. The only connection between them is they're online and they are fantasy themed.

But thats all. D2 knows no fantasy races, it knows no character design. Its class design is extremely flexible, you can be pretty much anything. Its a huge item grinder and items come in all kinds of variants. There are no dedicated healers, but health / mana potions, and everyone has tanking abilities.

While L2 is a big grindfest with completely fixed classes, completely group- and guildfocussed, and strictly tiered - and on most tiers, everyone has exactly one set of gear on the current tier they are aiming for.

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

L3 > D3

Too many interesting innovation ^^

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Hmm, L3 looks interesting.. I will for sure check it out, but in no way would that keep me from experiencing the long awaited D3.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Ok, the video is really cool and im a L2 fan, but:

- This is a mmo?

- Will have the political system of L1 / L2 ?

- Open world or will be all instanced?

- Clan wars?

In video only see 1 player on siege, then alone on some dungeon, and last 3 players in some kind of instance.

Didnt see hundereds of players fighting for a castle...

Will follow this game and wait for some info, but for now looks like a cool single player game with some online features.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Ephimero

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Unlight

Remarkable vid.  I don't know anything about the Lineage series.  What are the chances of seeing it localized for North America?

Heh, it just keeps getting easier to watch Diablo disappear in the rearview mirror.

That wasn't a rhetorical question; I'd actually like to cure my ignorance.  How well might it translate for western audiences based on the previous games in the franchise?

Both Lineage I and II were localized for North America and Europe, so 100% chances?

Awesome.  Thanks, Ephemiro.

EDIT:  And Aori.  Didn't see your response until after I replied.

• tekniko64tekniko64 Member Posts: 58

Usually when you get a gameplay video its just one the lead programmers playing through the game.  Lineage 1 and 2 were never instanced so I can pretty much guarantee the same will be for Lineage Eternal.  Lineage is based around PVP and instances just offer protection for the weak.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Originally posted by tekniko64

Usually when you get a gameplay video its just one the lead programmers playing through the game.  Lineage 1 and 2 were never instanced so I can pretty much guarantee the same will be for Lineage Eternal.  Lineage is based around PVP and instances just offer protection for the weak.

i really really hope is like L1 / L2, but i will not get high expectations about the game befor some real info  :)

If the game is like the others tittles, im sure i will be there (not fan of isometric but can live with that).

• ColdicesColdices Member Posts: 157

How can people compare this with Diablo 3? Just look at how both of them are in the production procces. Diablo is almost finished and Lineage just released a tech demo... 

NCSoft also mentioned in an interview that LE will not be like diablo at all. Source

Quote from MMOsite interview:

According to JinWon Yun, Lineage is still under the initial development, but it will never be a Diablo-like game, just a MMORPG purely. As the early archetype hasn't come out internally, the operation schedule of Lineage Eternal is still under discussion.

In my opinion... if the game already looks this good in just a tech demo, I can't imagine how amazing it will be in a completed state.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by kalinis

anyone trying to convince these people of anythig good with diablo 3 are wasting there time. I have learned this with tor haters. 

they use lies and downright misinformation to try to prove there poinjts because the facts dont support them. if ive learned one thing about mmorpg users its there penchance for lies to support and unsupportable opinion and nothing will stop them from yelling its true even when its not. 

i dont anything about lineage and i know almost nothing about diablo 3. but i do know tellign people diablo 3 is its own game and not what they say it is will just make them tell more lies that have no real support. 

this ive learned from tor haters. and wow haters. and since diablo 3 is made by activision blizzard they will yell it sucks till they die just cause they hate activision/blizzard. 

D3 looks pretty good.  I don't have anything negative to say about the game itself and I've been planning on playing it since LoD.  The reason I won't be now are issues that are external to the game such as the embracing of a real money auction house and the locking down of mods.  These are Blizzard/Activision decisions.  That may have made me a hater, but of the company, not the game.

I won't go into debating the merits of those issues because it won't lead anywhere and I've already had my say on the subject.  But I disagree with those decisions and I think it will start the industry down a road that will ultimately be harmful for all gamers.  This is why I won't be buying it and won't be supporting it.  However, if L3 pulls similar crap with their game, I'll also refuse to buy it.  To me, it's important that I don't contribute to making the industry worse, even though that contribution is infinitesimally small.

Lastly, it's only recently that I've grown to dislike Blizzard/Activision.  This is not the same company that I came to respect over the years.  The way they are choosing to monetize D3 just proves to me that they aren't the type of company that I want to see leading the game industry anymore.  Also, actively preventing modding instead of supporting it is also a step in the wrong direction.  I know the rationale they use to support it, but I also recognize its just spin to cover the fact that they don't want their future DLC in competition with user generated content.  Valve took the opposite approach and it seemed to work out pretty well for them.

Blizz/Act's vision is frankly, something that really worries me.  If they were some small hole-in-the-wall operation doing this, I wouldn't really care.  But these guys are capable of changing the direction of the industry as a whole and I don't want it to go where they seem to want to take it.  That's why I'm vocal about Blizz/Act.  That may be hate, but it's also genuine concern.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Originally posted by Jabas

Ok, the video is really cool and im a L2 fan, but:

- This is a mmo?

- Will have the political system of L1 / L2 ?

- Open world or will be all instanced?

- Clan wars?

In video only see 1 player on siege, then alone on some dungeon, and last 3 players in some kind of instance.

Didnt see hundereds of players fighting for a castle...

Will follow this game and wait for some info, but for now looks like a cool single player game with some online features.

Some info that MMOCULTURE translated from a developer interview:

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/11/gstar-2011-lineage-eternal-more-details.html

[G*Star 2011] Lineage Eternal - More details

11/09/2011 cinderboy 5 comments

(Source) Yes yes, it has been a busy morning since all my sources are flooded with Lineage Eternal's news. While most of them are repeated,I managed to chance upon an interview taken by Japanese gaming website, 4Gamer.net, with the game's lead development team (below). While I am not translating the whole interview due to my incapability in the language, here are some confirmed details from the script. Click here for the official game trailer !!!

1. Lineage Eternal's storyline takes place 200 years after the Lineage storyline, with familiar characters included in the storyline and world view as well. Note that Lineage II is the prequel of Lineage, set 150 years before. Lineage Eternal will be the "oldest" in terms of timeline.

2. Lineage Eternal is still under prototype development and the percentage of completion is unavailable now.

3. Lineage Forever, the originally rumored title (link), is a different project, it is not Lineage Eternal. What ?!

4. Lineage Eternal has been in development for 3 years now with 80 members.

5. The classes now are Knight, Mage and Spirit Archer, with 2 or 3 more to be added.

6. Terrains and destructive environments will play a big part in combat, touted as a "new combat experience".

7. No plans to port the game over to other platforms, with in-house testing scheduled in the 2nd half of 2012.

8. Even with many events going on in one screen due to the massive war, a high end system is not needed as NCsoft will scale the game accordingly to everyone's needs. The goal is to have up to 500 moving objects (players, monster) on screen during massive wars.

9. The quarter view, or isometric view, is coined as "Smart View" system in Lineage Eternal. The camera angle is not fixed, players can still rotate and zoom in or out.

10. The PK system outside of warfare will be different from Lineage or Lineage II, since open PK may stress players. Lineage Eternal is taking a different approach to this system and in the current plan, it is not mentioned as "PK".

11. The "Drag and Hold" feature will not detect complex gestures, with the normal straight line or circular motions being detected easily.

12. Lineage Eternal is developed from scratch as a "global project", hence players should expect to see it hit Japan in the near future.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165

8! pages long wild speculation thread about two un-released games.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

i have to say i agree with you op:having seen lot of preview of d3 this is way better.same style but way better graphic!lineage:were coming back faitfull old friend!

ps:can any elaborate or supply and english version of the way the siege will work ?

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Originally posted by Aori

Then you obviously haven't looked into Diablo 3 at all if you believe its just a reskinned version of D2.

I wish Diablo 3 was a reskinned Diablo 2. I essentially wanted that, but less disbalanced and counterintuitive, with deeper systems. When the news just began pouring in, I loved everything I heard, the classes, the skills, the variou systems, etc., up until pretty much the very end where they dropped all the crazy stuff on us. I was all for innovation 5 years back, but with innovation I wasn't talking about "let's just throw everything out from the skill system, make everything simpler, and also get real money involved".

My hope for Diablo 3 died with that series of announcements. Anything goes now, bye Diablo.

As for LE, not sure if I like isometric here. I never got into Lineage because the level process was absolutely abysmal.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Originally posted by Greenzor

8! pages long wild speculation thread about two un-released games.

Two for me.

You can adjust your posting per page setting. More postings = much easier to access + read.

• seiiyaseiiya Member Posts: 24

This is the trailer for recently announced Lineage Eternal. The viewpoint takes it back to L1 and reminds me a LOT of Ultima and Baldurs Gate. 

NCsoft has taken the throne imho, with Anet and Guild Wars, and now THIS!?!?!?!??

Sorry D3... ITS OVER... you have just been sent to the grave. Lineage Eternal looks to have better combat, EPIC sieges, and is a full fledged mmo.

I would bet on houses and of course castles to claim, etc, following in true Lineage tradition. 

The scope of these battles and the interactive environments looks awesome. 

ENJOY 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-OV2ix_HU

after all those years and look what diablo 3 looks like lol..cheap cartoonish rip off (my opinion)

lineage eternal looks already MILES ahead of D3

lineage eternal day one for me

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

It' what happens when a successful group of people sit on their laurels too long.  They just don't try as hard, or be cutting edge anymore.  2 video game companies that I used to love years ago are this way now, and for all intents and purposes, lost to me.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)