Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: How is it Doing?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle is pulling double duty features-wise today. In his second article, Adam takes a look at Earthrise. Adam revisits Masthead Studios' game to see if the devs have been able to pull Earthrise from the brink of doom so many predicted for it several months ago. Read on!

MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle is pulling double duty features-wise today. In his second article, Adam takes a look at Earthrise. Adam revisits Masthead Studios' game to see if the devs have been able to pull Earthrise from the brink of doom so many predicted for it several months ago. Read on!

Read more of Adam Tingle's Earthrise: How is it Doing?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I agree the game has improved in some ways but like you I wonder if most of the lag issues were solved by the exodus of players.  ER was just not ready to launch and even now, it does not compare to all the F2P games out there.  If Masthead would have left this in the oven for another year before release, it might have had a shot. 

Assuming that Masthead released it early due to funding issues and with the low server population, TOR coming out next month and STO going F2P in January, I dont see how ER will last another 12 months.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• braddollarbraddollar Member Posts: 3

I started playing Earthrise on release day, and bailed on it when they started charging after about three months. I came back recently for a free retrial of two weeks. I must say I experienced most of the same problems you did. The big thing you missed though is the exploits in the game. There were exploits that were in the game at release, that were reported by myself and others, that are still present in the game 9 months later. These exploits make things like aimbots trivial to create. It also allows you to go through walls, so building up the territorial warfare bases with big fancy walls and guns accomplishes nothing, because the right player can just walk through them. There's also other exploits to get you infinite amounts of money.

I applaud them for fixing some of the issues, but to leave these horrible exploits present in the game is just astounding. These exploits still being in the game are what has ended my hope that they will ever have a game actually worth playing.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    I chose a poor day to wear my Masthead Studios shirt. I went back on the free week and found the same problems I had when I bought the game the first time: it feels like a tech demo. I play it and think "great, now when is the finished product coming out?" I think a lot of players are disenfranchised by how much hype was being sent out to journalists prior to release, and the final product felt nothing like how the game was advertised.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

I read this and the only thing going through my head is Masthead Studios is the company Interplay is trusting to make Fallout Online. :(

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I feel sorry for indie games,they really have no chance in now a days market,there  is just way too much competition.

I think there is a good side to Indie games however and that is i beleive they are usually using rich people's money to fund these games,in otherwords ..investors.Using investors money that is literally disposable cash allows them to attempt game developement and learn from their mistakes or learn to never try it again lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Unshra

I read this and the only thing going through my head is Masthead Studios is the company Interplay is trusting to make Fallout Online. :(

Your kidding me right?

This whole IP crap is confusing.  I was sure that Bethesda had told Interplay they could make it, why would interplay then oursource it further to Masthead?

Edit: Looked it up, wiki says they are working together (interplay and masthead) so I guess your right.

Well, we know what MMO is going to suck then.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Our clan (incognito) played this game at launche and we had a blast.  We gave the dev's a chance to get if fixed...but they just couldn't, which led to the population leaving.  MHS is a dev team that really does care about their game and fans, which is great, but they just don't have the skillset to fix the game, or be a sole developer.  I also went back for the 2 week retrial, the same problems were there, best thing for this game would have been that they sold it and it would then be relaunched.  Tons of potential, but another broke game that even if fixed won't get its subscribers back.  You just can't have bad launches anymore or you'll never get your population back.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Wizardry
    I feel sorry for indie games,they really have no chance in now a days market,there  is just way too much competition.
    I think there is a good side to Indie games however and that is i beleive they are usually using rich people's money to fund these games,in otherwords ..investors.Using investors money that is literally disposable cash allows them to attempt game developement and learn from their mistakes or learn to never try it again lol.

I don't feel that sorry for them (Masthead). They had a pretty good idea of what their product was going to look like when they released it. They released it anyway and charge for it.

If Avatar Creations can crank out a fully functional sandbox mmorpg, then other companies can do it too. There's no excuse for releasing half finished garbage and charging a premium price for it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Bought the game and had followed it for some months. It gave a bitter taste sadly enough. I couldnt seem to be able to run the game @2560x1600 with my i7 950, intel gen 2ssd and trifire setup @1 ghz. Strangly enough games like Crysis 2 is running with no problems. I can even enjoy Witcher 2.

So Meathead studio, you screwed up.  

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • f0biaf0bia Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Unshra

I should've just stayed in bed today.

• AkruxAkrux Member UncommonPosts: 56

I played Earthrise in beta and gave up then. My suggestions for improvement were basically ignored. My biggest problem was the total loss of all your carried gear and inventory in the event of a death. I understand the desire for a game with loot your enemy on death. However when  everything drops to the map from a mob death and then it despawns because of server glitch etc the fun is gone.

Ex Earthrise players might want to check out Dominus for a sci-fi PvP crafting MMO game coming soon.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by mymmo

Bought the game and had followed it for some months. It gave a bitter taste sadly enough. I couldnt seem to be able to run the game @2560x1600 with my i7 950, intel gen 2ssd and trifire setup @1 ghz. Strangly enough games like Crysis 2 is running with no problems. I can even enjoy Witcher 2.

So Meathead studio, you screwed up.  

I agree, I joined the free trial a couple of weeks ago and played for maybe 2 hours.

The game is laggy and the graphics were down to near minimum. My computer plays almost anything pretty resonably but this was like wading through treacle. That and it was boring as hell. Saw 3 other people during the 2 hours, and 2 of them were afk the whole time.

• SamsusSamsus Member UncommonPosts: 4

Its the worst MMORPG i have ever played!!! The fact I had to pay just adds to the terrible experience i had with this game. So really dont waste your time even checking this game out. Trust me i have played a lot of MMOs free and p2p.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

The game is beyond horrendous and something the article didn't cover was that there is only one guild left in the entire game.  You can get a snapshot of how many people have ever purchased the game by checking the member count on the forums as the game requires forum registration with the account registration.

They're still under 5k total users and I can't imagine more than 50 people even play the game at this point.  I hopped in when they reactivated accounts recently, saw no one in the world capital, realized that game somehow runs even worse than it did at launch, and then uninstalled.

Yet the devs are seriously adacious enough to post threads asking about what needs to be fixed.  Maybe they should start with client GFX performance?  We were screaming at them in beta to optimize the graphics.  I guess they still haven't listened.

How this game is still open is beyond me.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Cavadus

The game is beyond horrendous and something the article didn't cover was that there is only one guild left in the entire game.  You can get a snapshot of how many people have ever purchased the game by checking the member count on the forums as the game requires forum registration with the account registration.

They're still under 5k total users and I can't imagine more than 50 people even play the game at this point.  I hopped in when they reactivated accounts recently, saw no one in the world capital, realized that game somehow runs even worse than it did at launch, and then uninstalled.

Yet the devs are seriously adacious enough to post threads asking about what needs to be fixed.  Maybe they should start with client GFX performance?  We were screaming at them in beta to optimize the graphics.  I guess they still haven't listened.

How this game is still open is beyond me.

I was there as the last patch went live, we tested and told them it was not ready the lag was no where near as bad as the patch was , they seem to get it alot better, but when the patch went live it went back to how it was at release, forcing our guild to leave the game and leaving one guild left, we also reported exploits and the other guild cried and the devs would give them bases back when they where clearly the ones cheating.

The devs do not care about this game at all, I been playing since beta and I just left for good due to the population being at a all time low, there is no PVP at all, when it happens the few players left whine and cry.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Another Mortal Online in different clothes.  Both Epic failures.