Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just went back to DAOC

SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

Well I must say where has the time gone?  I originally picked up DAOC in 2004 and I've always played it on and off since then.  I've been gone for about a year and I just went back and I'm loving every minute of it.  I rolled up a new character on Midguard and found the leveling experience to be even better than previous.  Leveling via battlegrounds can essentially be done starting at lvl 1 and the leveling is quick.  I got lvl 50 in less than 15-20 hours play time.  I think I started playing on Friday and Sunday I'm already max level.  Leveling via battlegrounds you also earn realm rank and bounty points.   I was able to earn a generous amount of bounty points which you can use to buy gear, ML levels, and TOA Artifacts. 

Overall my point is that leveling up from scratch and gearing up is simpler and easier than ever.  In just a few days you can be ready for big boy rvr.  You can also always turn your xp off in battlegrounds and earn some extra RR before you head out into the real world.  I found all the battlegrounds that I played in to be active with players.  The repeatable bounty point quests are really amazing.

Another enhancement that has been recently been implemented is that you can buy full buffs in all battlegrounds and in end game rvr.  These buffs are almost equivelent to buff bot buffs.  I think the difference in the end game buffs is +147 vs +151.  So you can see around 5% or less difference in effectiveness.  What this means is that running two accounts is no longer neccessary unless you are min maxing.

10 years later DAOC is still the best PVP game on the market.  I'd recommend this game to anyone who loves PVP.

Comments

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

They had the recipe for success, I still don't understand how they could have screwed up Warhammer so badly....I will never forgive them for that...

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Squiggie
    They had the recipe for success, I still don't understand how they could have screwed up Warhammer so badly....I will never forgive them for that...

EA, but Warhammer wasn't screwed up as much as it missed the point. A lot of the classes were a lot of fun to play, the PvE was good, and the low level PvP scenarios were fun. However, the maps were just designed poorly. There was little reason to go into the PvP lakes. No one is going to sit and wait for a fight.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Yeah, they needed more purpose for the lakes and 3 factions.

Balance was horrible too...WP+BW = dead raid...

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by SpikeX

I got lvl 50 in less than 15-20 hours play time. 

I remember when DAOC was a great PVE / RVR mmorpg

Looks like Easy Mode spare no one

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• SpikeXSpikeX Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by vladww

It's all your perspective.  Leveling was never the fun part.  Don't tell me you liked sitting at a tree spawn for 12 hours straight, pulling all night sessions, never really moving spots, falling asleep at your keyboard, drooling.  Doing that for a month straight.    That was FUN to you?

The PVE content is still challenging.  There is still a purpose to farm PVE to make tons of money.  The game has simply changed so that people who want to RVR solely to level and or to catch up to friends quickly...can do it with ease.  And trust me the end game RVR is not care bear.  Never has been and never will be.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

It's all your perspective.  Leveling was never the fun part.  Don't tell me you liked sitting at a tree spawn for 12 hours straight, pulling all night sessions, never really moving spots, falling asleep at your keyboard, drooling.  Doing that for a month straight.    That was FUN to you?

Yes actually. That was one of the main reasons I played back then actually. The leveling and end game community was that you could always find people to play with. Everyone always did everything together.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

The PVE content is still challenging.  There is still a purpose to farm PVE to make tons of money.  The game has simply changed so that people who want to RVR solely to level and or to catch up to friends quickly...can do it with ease.  And trust me the end game RVR is not care bear.  Never has been and never will be.

You know, you're right, it is all part of your perspective, however I did enjoy the leveling and in fact did so about 7 times to 50.

The end game PVP was OK, I really didn't enjoy it until I flipped over to the FFA server Mordred, guess I like fighting for my corp and the Keep it held more than the core RVR combat.

Right now I'm not sure what's left to fight for in DAOC RVR, back in the day it was all about control of Darkness falls, another cause I could get behind, but today it seems like all you're fighting for is personal glory and to do PVP. 

If so, that's not what I enjoyed about DAOC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

DAOC in some ways just doesn't feel the same as it was back in its prime.

But I agree, still the best PvP game on the market currently, and though the PvE is insanely fast to level through today, I still find it funner than most modern MMO's.

• wr036wr036 Member Posts: 24

For me, just because something isn't initially fun doesn't mean it won't result in more fun down the road. I like to think of it as an investment in fun. Back in the day, when I leveled my first character to 50 (an infiltrator no less, which was painful to level way back when) I remember spending hours upon hours at the trees in Lioness. Boring? Most definitely. However, reaching 50 felt like an enormous achievement, which in turn made RvR at 50 that much more fun. Honestly, I think removing the grind cheapens the end game.

Grinding PvE was also fun in some respect due to the fact that it was so boring. It would force you to strike up conversation in your group and when you were in a grind group for 5+ hours, some very interesting conversations would unfold, adding to the social aspect of the game. I've never felt a sense of community stronger than DAoC, mostly because you were forced to group with almost every major contributor in the community on your way up to 50. Seeing folks you spent hours and hours grinding with in PvE during a relic defense really instilled a stronger sense of pride for your realm.

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Yes. I enjoyed so much that as soon as Gaheris came out I was on it like a fat kid on a cupcake!

Originally posted by wr036

For me, just because something isn't initially fun doesn't mean it won't result in more fun down the road. I like to think of it as an investment in fun. Back in the day, when I leveled my first character to 50 (an infiltrator no less, which was painful to level way back when) I remember spending hours upon hours at the trees in Lioness. Boring? Most definitely. However, reaching 50 felt like an enormous achievement, which in turn made RvR at 50 that much more fun. Honestly, I think removing the grind cheapens the end game.
    Grinding PvE was also fun in some respect due to the fact that it was so boring. It would force you to strike up conversation in your group and when you were in a grind group for 5+ hours, some very interesting conversations would unfold, adding to the social aspect of the game. I've never felt a sense of community stronger than DAoC, mostly because you were forced to group with almost every major contributor in the community on your way up to 50. Seeing folks you spent hours and hours grinding with in PvE during a relic defense really instilled a stronger sense of pride for your realm.

I never liked the RvR that much. I was actually disappointed with RvR and wanted to go back to Battlegrounds after I saw what RvR was. But even so, I can fully agree with this.

And yes, stealthers were SO tough to level up back then which is why I never made one haha. I totally used to have respect for stealthers who made it all the way to 50 back when it was hard. I had respect for ANYONE that took the time to level a character to 50 back then. It used to mean something.

• Pest138Pest138 Member UncommonPosts: 114

After reading this thread I think I am going to have to re-activate my sub and check things out, start out from scratch this time. I re-subbed about a year ago but I was so out of practice on my level 50 shaman the experience was not very fun.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

always worth comming back !

Still great PvP action, and the newbie areas are full.

• WarspineWarspine Member Posts: 105

The rvr is great, and fast. And fun now. And it's not easy mode.

But the pve is totaly useless, you just buy all stuff from pvp rewards. If i wanted an edge somewhere i would go to specifig dungeons to get nice jewlery for a specifik battleground. that's all gone. df seals, all gone. aurulite, all gone. money. well, i dont know why people want plat. but it's still tradeable in a way.

every sec you spend i pve you loose rp's and bp's.

i like the changes the did and it's awsome pvp now. But i miss the pve aswell

• melton80melton80 Member Posts: 54

DAoC has always been one of my favorite games to play, but with every new expansion they made PvPing a joke with all the new pvp abilities and other things that made is almost impossible to kill someone with the right ranks in under a few minutes if at all. But thankfully i found a free Classic shard sever called Uthgard, if you liked Classic DAoC i would point you to that shard it is free and has all the classic stuff up to catacombs atm so not all of that new game chaging crap that ruined the game in my opinion, plus the server usually has even more players on it then any of the official clusters.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by melton80

DAoC has always been one of my favorite games to play, but with every new expansion they made PvPing a joke with all the new pvp abilities and other things that made is almost impossible to kill someone with the right ranks in under a few minutes if at all. But thankfully i found a free Classic shard sever called Uthgard, if you liked Classic DAoC i would point you to that shard it is free and has all the classic stuff up to catacombs atm so not all of that new game chaging crap that ruined the game in my opinion, plus the server usually has even more players on it then any of the official clusters.

Cool, I'm gonna give it a try.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Well I must say where has the time gone?  I originally picked up DAOC in 2004 and I've always played it on and off since then.  I've been gone for about a year and I just went back and I'm loving every minute of it.  I rolled up a new character on Midguard and found the leveling experience to be even better than previous.  Leveling via battlegrounds can essentially be done starting at lvl 1 and the leveling is quick.  I got lvl 50 in less than 15-20 hours play time.  I think I started playing on Friday and Sunday I'm already max level.  Leveling via battlegrounds you also earn realm rank and bounty points.   I was able to earn a generous amount of bounty points which you can use to buy gear, ML levels, and TOA Artifacts. 

Overall my point is that leveling up from scratch and gearing up is simpler and easier than ever.  In just a few days you can be ready for big boy rvr.  You can also always turn your xp off in battlegrounds and earn some extra RR before you head out into the real world.  I found all the battlegrounds that I played in to be active with players.  The repeatable bounty point quests are really amazing.

Another enhancement that has been recently been implemented is that you can buy full buffs in all battlegrounds and in end game rvr.  These buffs are almost equivelent to buff bot buffs.  I think the difference in the end game buffs is +147 vs +151.  So you can see around 5% or less difference in effectiveness.  What this means is that running two accounts is no longer neccessary unless you are min maxing.

10 years later DAOC is still the best PVP game on the market.  I'd recommend this game to anyone who loves PVP.

Wow. That is cool.

How is the level 50 RvR? I hated the tower standoffs.

• viletotoviletoto Member Posts: 22

uthgard is great and boy does it bring back that "pve level grind"  phew...but you know what?  I loved every minute of it.  everything from the classic music, old leveling (grinding) areas, the constant spam in general chat to get groups together to get DF back, the rush to get into DF as soon as a realm took control to pve and pvp the stragglers from the other realms, etc etc. 

Originally posted by viletoto

uthgard is great and boy does it bring back that "pve level grind"  phew...but you know what?  I loved every minute of it.  everything from the classic music, old leveling (grinding) areas, the constant spam in general chat to get groups together to get DF back, the rush to get into DF as soon as a realm took control to pve and pvp the stragglers from the other realms, etc etc. 

As long as official DAoC servers run, playing Uthgard would feel like the community is separated for me. If Mythic would release the official servers for free or make an official Origins server then I would feel like the DAoC community is all together again finally and I would love to play.

Also, "spam in general chat"? Dark Age of Camelot never had a general chat back then. But yeah, Darkness Falls was really fun times back then.

Free like Subspace/Continuum (1997).

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Very true...i have a few 50's and tried the welcome back thing a few times but after so many relic raids and just zerging in a small group thru RvR it all bils down to a RR grind...

DAOC is a nice foundation for RvR but it hasnt aged well and with the lack of support from EA/BW its just became stale for me.i do miss it though and if an origin server ever did see the light id sign up right away.

Originally posted by youngkg

Very true...i have a few 50's and tried the welcome back thing a few times but after so many relic raids and just zerging in a small group thru RvR it all bils down to a RR grind...

DAOC is a nice foundation for RvR but it hasnt aged well and with the lack of support from EA/BW its just became stale for me.i do miss it though and if an origin server ever did see the light id sign up right away.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that way in these recent times. Sometimes I get to feeling like people forgot about DAoC the more years pass but I see there are still some around in 2012.

• Samkin772Samkin772 Member Posts: 104

True enough, but with their subs so low, I don't think they had much choice.  When I went back, I flipped between six different characters, and still made lvl 40 within a blink of an eye with a couple of them.  I don't have a problem with quick leveling per se, but I just don't like it when games ignore the journey in favor of the destination, and it seems DAoC went that direction somewhat.

The community, however, is still top notch imo.   I would have more fun playing the crappiest MMO in existence with players from DAoC than the best MMO with - and I hate to stay on this bandwagon of hate- the WoW crowd.

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

Well I've gone back and I'm really enjoying it. It was a sizable break from the game but it's incredible how it all comes rushing back.

I still haven't got the hang of everything though, there's been a fair amount of changes since I last played but I'm having fun scooting about on Midgard with my Skald or running about with a necro on alb (until I decide what I want to play!)

Not a lot of chatter in-game though, either people are using guild chat mostly or I'm missing out but region and even the started guild are dead on both realms, I doubt Hib would be any different.

Anyone have recommended guilds that take in casual players? I'd never class myself as a pro but I enjoy playing both PVE/RVR :P

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I actually went back recently and tried it out but I just couldn't get over the aged UI. It's too bad there's not a DAOC 2 planned.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

Shame about the UI, even with a customised one (I'm using Ghost) it's old looking although it's functional. Little touches would make all the difference though, mouse over showing detail on weapons etc.