Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why pay per month when you can play for one pay?

Aaah, just wanted to tell you all I have Skyrim now and after playing it for some hours, im loving it, like I always loved the elder scrolls series, since I started with part 2 - Daggerfall.

Then I come to my question.....why pay per month for a totally broken game, when you can pay 50 euros and play a fantastic game and dont have to pay 9,99 a month. Well.....waiting to see what you all have to say about it.

I know, this might be comparing apples with pears, but Skyrim is an awesome RPG, even if you play it solo, you do have minions, your own home, etc.

Comments

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Well the basis of playing a mmorpg for me is social interaction some need it some dont .If you dont mind being a loner in a world then single player rpg's are for you .

• DatLigBoiDatLigBoi Member UncommonPosts: 35

Originally posted by micona

Well the basis of playing a mmorpg for me is social interaction some need it some dont .If you dont mind being a loner in a world then single player rpg's are for you .

Well you wouldn't be applying your social interaction with this game now.......or would you O.o? Heck I wouldn't!

If anything you would get more social interaction with skyrims npc.....HA yeeeeah boy its that good :P

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by jungleninja

Aaah, just wanted to tell you all I have Skyrim now and after playing it for some hours, im loving it, like I always loved the elder scrolls series, since I started with part 2 - Daggerfall.

Then I come to my question.....why pay per month for a totally broken game, when you can pay 50 euros and play a fantastic game and dont have to pay 9,99 a month. Well.....waiting to see what you all have to say about it.

I know, this might be comparing apples with pears, but Skyrim is an awesome RPG, even if you play it solo, you do have minions, your own home, etc.

I'm playing single player games right now, until an mmorpg comes along that it worth my 15 bucks a month.

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

Oh yeah you got that right baby! Skyrim rocks! Im playing my fingers numb with that game! lol! This game is dead gone and there are only like 5 people on 3 servers, so get your interaction! lol! They dont even respond because they dont all speak english!

So, hehehe, this game is dead and with TOR coming soon, they will roll over and play dead again! ...oh back to skyrim for me....I guess the officials from g&h are also playing Skyrim as they certainly dont play their owm game, but then the game is almost unplayable! lol!

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Jimmac

I'm playing single player games right now, until an mmorpg comes along that it worth my 15 bucks a month.

-Sadly, I too am done ith MMO's for the forseeable future.

It used to be that playing MMOs was MUCH cheaper and far more fun. For $15/month I was able to "live" in a virtual world for countless hours. Compared to $40- $50 on single player games which I would generally beat and be finished with a week or two later- It was a bargain.

In the last 8 or so years however, I am finding myself taking the opposite stance. Now, I am lucky if an MMO can hold my attention for a few days. Too many "unfinished games" are being released, along with reskinned WOW clones and essentially "single player" online games calling themselves MMORPG's... There is no longer a "world" just a linear story line and quest grind where everyone essentially has the SAME experience from start to endgame.

I have purchased nearly every MMO made in the last 3 years and have felt ripped off on nearly every purchase. Games like RIFT which were well done and not a "rip off" were essentially just a redone WOW with a diffrent name- Any game trying to do something unique and diffrent was unfinished, buggy, not worth the sub.

I have been heading back to the wiorld of "single player" games- If  am going to play a linear story anyways where everyone gets to be the "winner" , the single player experience is much better. 

I am still keeping tabs on the MMO world but honestly, its changed into a cash grab where games are being "churned out" to make a buck nd have no staying power.

That is what is so dissapointing about G and H. They released this game in an abysmal state, broken and buggy and unfinshed- Then do not even bother getting it up to release quality after THIS LONG. Another rip off... Had they waited a year and took some care into making a ""game" (and not just making some money) this could have been good and WOULD have made money- But by releasing garbage, they make no money the game sucks and another one bites the dust...

Yep, your right there. Ive played many mmo's the past few years and must say, truly, we paying customers are being ripped off. Instead of paying 50 buck, we are paying 300 in two years and still not getting a full game! Then I'd rather pay 50 euros for a finished singleplayer game, than 300 for a still unfinished game, all the frustration, all the waiting and the waste of my time and money!

Listen to HI's live chat. They even make fun and mock about not being able to release on time and thus mock the paying customers! They must think way to much of themselves!

Hey, I tell you all this, with Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, alot of mmo's are gonna eat dust! How can they compete against a one time payment model like that! Ok, it might not be the best of the best out there mmo wise, but hey....you have multiplayer and alot of adventure and above all....a finished game for a one time price!

How is it actually coming with the new 'stuff' HI? Havent heard from you guys in ages! Danicia at least had the decency to leave a message or two once in awhile. Mr. Metz, I do understand you have to get used to your new chores, but...comeon, a message a day is typed in two mins top. And alot of happy customers then! Thats worth something isnt it? But then I dont believe you guys are still fixing the game! Truly, prove me wrong!

Yep, your right there. Ive played many mmo's the past few years and must say, truly, we paying customers are being ripped off. Instead of paying 50 buck, we are paying 300 in two years and still not getting a full game! Then I'd rather pay 50 euros for a finished singleplayer game, than 300 for a still unfinished game, all the frustration, all the waiting and the waste of my time and money!

Listen to HI's live chat. They even make fun and mock about not being able to release on time and thus mock the paying customers! They must think way to much of themselves!

Hey, I tell you all this, with Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, alot of mmo's are gonna eat dust! How can they compete against a one time payment model like that! Ok, it might not be the best of the best out there mmo wise, but hey....you have multiplayer and alot of adventure and above all....a finished game for a one time price!

How is it actually coming with the new 'stuff' HI? Havent heard from you guys in ages! Danicia at least had the decency to leave a message or two once in awhile. Mr. Metz, I do understand you have to get used to your new chores, but...comeon, a message a day is typed in two mins top. And alot of happy customers then! Thats worth something isnt it? But then I dont believe you guys are still fixing the game! Truly, prove me wrong!

I did- And the "dev chat" was pretty sickening... The devs laughed and joked around about not being finished with anything while drinking beer- And people shelled out $$$ for lifetime subs. Was very, very disgusting. I do not think they realized what a slap in the face to their paying custoimers that "dev chat was"- But if I had been subscribing or had bought a lifetimg (I am not and I did not) I would have been pissed- But fortunatly I have learned my lesson with MMO devs and will not buy anything until I can "test drive" it first ... Its been almost a year since I have purchased an MMO and do not see myself buying one in the near future either.

Have not tryed Skyrim yet but I am still having fun with a heavily modded morrowind and Oblivion. Am having a blast playing some old PS3 games I have never playedbefore (picking them up for like $5/each) such as Godfather 2, Fallout NV and Midnight Club LA which I just bought this weekend @ all three games for $20.

Hopefully the MMO market crashes soon and developers rethink the entire buisness model (and I do NOT mean F2P)- I , and others would gladly pay a higher sub fee for a FINISHED game that is a "world" and not a quest grind/race to endgame/everyone wins game like we have today.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

I don't see how you are against F2P model and the topic of MMO's not being worth a sub you still agree with.   Most F2P games cost more to play than P2P, but that is the choice of the publisher on how to implement the model and not the models fault.  Games such as LoL have proven very profitable while being honestly 100% F2P if one doesn't wish to buy any skins for their champions.  There is no gameplay limitations for not paying  other than  having default skins on your  champions bought with ingame currency.  F2P or B2P MMO's  are best IMO when done correctly they can often be more succesful than  P2P MMO's because of the same reason WoW exploded, accessibility.

As for your annoyance with MMO's content or being "finished" compared to console games, you mentioned you bought 3 games in the past month? while they cost less that is 3 games made by 3 different teams over the course of several years and how many of them do you think you will be playing in 3months time?  MMO's are given a bad rep for lack of content but in reality they are indeed massive in scale compared to standard  single player games because of the scope of their exspected lifetime.  Enough fun for a month doesn't work to make an MMO successful but it is enough to make a single player game and some consoles games as little as a week maybe.

Be fair with your judgement at least and  I'll end with saying I'm not happy with the current MMO's or how the industry is shaping up  but I know even given all the resources I wanted that I couldn't make  an MMO that is "The One".   The solution to the MMO problem isn't an easy fix or someone would have done it already.

Originally posted by Clocksimus

I don't see how you are against F2P model and the topic of MMO's not being worth a sub you still agree with.   Most F2P games cost more to play than P2P, but that is the choice of the publisher on how to implement the model and not the models fault.  Games such as LoL have proven very profitable while being honestly 100% F2P if one doesn't wish to buy any skins for their champions.  There is no gameplay limitations for not paying  other than  having default skins on your  champions bought with ingame currency.  F2P or B2P MMO's  are best IMO when done correctly they can often be more succesful than  P2P MMO's because of the same reason WoW exploded, accessibility.

As for your annoyance with MMO's content or being "finished" compared to console games, you mentioned you bought 3 games in the past month? while they cost less that is 3 games made by 3 different teams over the course of several years and how many of them do you think you will be playing in 3months time?  MMO's are given a bad rep for lack of content but in reality they are indeed massive in scale compared to standard  single player games because of the scope of their exspected lifetime.  Enough fun for a month doesn't work to make an MMO successful but it is enough to make a single player game and some consoles games as little as a week maybe.

Be fair with your judgement at least and  I'll end with saying I'm not happy with the current MMO's or how the industry is shaping up  but I know even given all the resources I wanted that I couldn't make  an MMO that is "The One".   The solution to the MMO problem isn't an easy fix or someone would have done it already.

I have to disagree- The MMO market is stuck on a "formula" that they will not deviate from- Companys which DO deviate from the formula release unfinished garbage (I am not talking about minor things which can be patched in- but whole features)

My point was, I bought 3 games for $20 (these are not the only games I bought in the last month) which is close to what I would pay in a sub fee- I probably will not be playing them in 3 months, but if I spend $20/month (close to an MMO sub) I am getting 3 games a month which WILL hold my attention... What am I getting for my $15/month in todays MMO market? In a game like Gand H (the game we are discussing) I would have paid out like $50 for the game and $50 in sub fees for 5 months- In 5 months (since release) nothing new has been added, they are stil missing a class which was supposed to release (I think), content ends at level 30 (I can get to level 16 in a 3 day free trial), no crafting, no AH, etc. etc.... So what am I getting for $15/month except for another thing to pay for???

Why I hate F2p is another issue entirly- It essentially breaks down to the fact that I want an evenn playing fireld in all things (even vanity items) and will not be nickle and dimed into paying for everything one at a time. A F2P model like LOTRO is fine as it gives me the option to have ALL content if I pay a sub (I dont consider this F2P, more like lifetime trial unless subbed)- Unfortunatly I think LOTRO is pretty boring...

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Originally posted by TOWROK

Originally posted by micona

Well you wouldn't be applying your social interaction with this game now.......or would you O.o? Heck I wouldn't!

If anything you would get more social interaction with skyrims npc.....HA yeeeeah boy its that good :P

I have to agree with that haha! , the way mmorpg's are played now some of them are singleplayermmorpg's yeah skyrim is pretty amazing 

Well, due to the lack of communication and the lack of updates, I guess its fine to say the game officially is no longer supported by the officials. Or.....Mr. Metz, will we get a suprise update soon? I mean, the 3 guys still working on the game. As Mr. Metz still has to get used to his chores. Heheheh, I mean, comeon man, how long does it take to write a few lines? Hahahaha! First plug in the powerline, then turn on your pc, then goto whatever your account on the forum and type a few words! Hehehe! Have fun you all!

Gotta, go back to Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Lord of the Rings Online, Rift, Age of Conan, Age of Empires Online, aaaaah, so many games to choose from! lol! ;)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Awesome or not, to me it literally means the world.

There's the old saying:  "If a tree falls down in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

Whether it does or doesn't, it doesn't matter.  And if you accomplish great things in a srpg, it doesn't matter to anyone else.

And that's the difference between Skyrim and an MMO.  If I'm the only one who even observes what's going on in the game, it means much less to me.  I still enjoy srpg's, but accomplishments and events are much less meaningful to me than in an MMO.

For those reasons I tend to have some sympathy for folks that want a sandbox MMO; that want their actions to have more of an effect on the world around them than most themeparks offer.  Thing is, I also understand why those impacts have to be minimized to an extent, and can never come close to the world changing effect a player can have on an SRPG.

• FredelasFredelas Member Posts: 36

Well, due to the lack of communication and the lack of updates, I guess its fine to say the game officially is no longer supported by the officials. Or.....Mr. Metz, will we get a suprise update soon? I mean, the 3 guys still working on the game. As Mr. Metz still has to get used to his chores. Heheheh, I mean, comeon man, how long does it take to write a few lines? Hahahaha! First plug in the powerline, then turn on your pc, then goto whatever your account on the forum and type a few words! Hehehe! Have fun you all!

Gotta, go back to Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Lord of the Rings Online, Rift, Age of Conan, Age of Empires Online, aaaaah, so many games to choose from! lol! ;)

To be completely honest, any amount of time someone from Heatwave spends responding to your repetitive taunting posts is time not spent working on the game.

Like you, I paid for the game, played for a month, and found it severely lacking. However, I gave my opinion with some constructive feedback and moved on.

I don't expect this game to survive, but at this point, I expect you to be here repeating your same unhelpful criticisms ten years after it shuts down.

Originally posted by Fredelas

To be completely honest, any amount of time someone from Heatwave spends responding to your repetitive taunting posts is time not spent working on the game.

Like you, I paid for the game, played for a month, and found it severely lacking. However, I gave my opinion with some constructive feedback and moved on.

I don't expect this game to survive, but at this point, I expect you to be here repeating your same unhelpful criticisms ten years after it shuts down.

Yep, your right about that! Hahahah! Oh comeon man, let me have my fun! Hehehe! *Hears a yell from afar and shouts back* Shut up Ma! Im having a conversation here! ;)

I dont mind them not responding to my posts, its the posts from those that really ask questions, that dont get answered, thats what makes me feel bad for them! Thats why I respond like this. If they would just give info on whatever they are doing, it would make me stop.......wait....nah, that wouldnt do it I guess! Heheheh! ;)